NFL head coaches and general managers don’t think much of Zach Wilson

Facts

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The 2 quotes said that 2 of the 3 coaches (one of which is an AFC East defensive coach, possibly a DC, I can’t remember) polled believe that the sky is the limit for Zach and he has all the tools in the world to succeed.  It’s pretty important to include them for context.

That would go against his narrative, anything negative he posts. It’s like a child

image.jpeg.96e501f157c3bdc76e8a882449378ffd.jpeg

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Where else would you put him?

Much more interesting is the guy two slots above him who was supposed to be the 'most accurate QB in the league'.

Also - it feels like half that bottom tier was drafted by us (wince).

Good thing Mark Sanchez “retired” at the ripe old age of 28 or else he’d be in that group too.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Facts said:

The results reflect voting from 50 NFL coaches and executives, including six general managers, eight head coaches, 10 evaluators, 12 coordinators, six quarterback coaches and seven execs whose specialties include analytics, game management and the salary cap. The remaining ballot was put together by four members of one team’s personnel department.

The panel placed 35 veteran quarterbacks into one of five tiers, from best (Tier 1) to worst (Tier 5). Quarterbacks were then ranked by average vote and placed into tiers based on vote distribution, beginning with Aaron Rodgers, whose 1.00 average vote reflected his status as a unanimous Tier 1 selection.

The survey excludes rookies because voters have not seen them play in the NFL. More than one quarterback is featured for teams with unsettled starting jobs.

https://theathletic.com/3443022/2022/07/25/nfl-best-quarterbacks-tiers?source=user-shared-article

TIER 1

A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure passing situations. He has no real holes in his game.

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Patrick Mahomes
3. Tom Brady
4. Josh Allen
5. Justin Herbert
6. Joe Burrow

TIER 2

A Tier 2 quarterback can carry his team sometimes but not as consistently. He can handle pure passing situations in doses and/or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above Tier 3. He has a hole or two in his game.

7. Matt Stafford
8. Russell Wilson
9. Deshaun Watson
10. Lamar Jackson
11. Dak Prescott
12. Derek Carr
13. Kyler Murray
14. Matt Ryan

TIER 3

A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter but needs a heavier running game and/or defensive component to win. A lower-volume dropback passing offense suits him best.

15. Kirk Cousins
16. Jimmy Garoppolo
17. Ryan Tannehill
18. Mac Jones
19. Baker Mayfield
20 (T). Jalen Hurts
20 (T). Carson Wentz
22. Jared Goff
23. Trevor Lawrence
24. Jameis Winston

TIER 4

A Tier 4 quarterback could be an unproven player (not enough information for voters to classify) or a veteran who ideally would not start all 17 games.

25. Justin Fields
26. Tua Tagovailoa
27. David Mills
28. Zach Wilson
29. Trey Lance
30. Daniel Jones
31. Marcus Mariota
32. Sam Darnold
33. Mitch Trubisky
34. Drew Lock
35. Geno Smith

“Zach Wilson has got talent — he has ALL the physical talent,” a defensive coach from the AFC East said. “He is not lacking in any skill set from a tools standpoint. They have done a good job trying to draft and surround him with people. It’ll be a big year for him to take a leap. It was a bad team last year, and he made a lot of mistakes. We will have a better sense after this year.”

If you didn’t love Wilson coming out of BYU, there wasn’t enough during his rookie season to change your mind.

“He looks at the rush way too much,” an offensive play caller said. “He is one of those guys who sees the rush and wants to get depth and run right, but you lose the field when you do that.”

A head coach vouched for Wilson’s skill set while noting “there were times where it looked like it was too big for him,” suggesting Wilson needs to settle down this year.

“Tell me one marquee player that he had around him last year,” a quarterbacks coach said. “I still think the sky’s the limit for this kid. He’s got some young weapons now, and I think they are going to be a lot better.”

No surprise here.  Where he should be for how he played last year. 

Lots to prove this year and hopefully a lot better ranking next year. 

• Thumb Down 2

This stuff is really interesting as an outsider. I think Wilson takes a big leap this year, but for any Jets fans who take articles like this to heart, check this out. This was filmed after these guys had seen Darnold and Allen play for 2 years. Foxworth basically laughs at the idea of Allen being good and picks Tua (as the best QB in 3 years) even though he hadn't seen him play.

What's funny is that Foxworth (and Greeny too) now creams himself over Allen every chance he gets yet here is actually calling the very idea of him being the best QB in the division absurd.

There are a 1000 more clips and articles like this out there as well. In short, these bozos don't really know anything and just go with the recency effect. 

If Zach starts the season with 300 yards and 3TDs these same guys will be anointing him the league MVP, and they'll do it in a way that suggests they're really going out on a limb with the usual "you heard it here first" BS.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Outside of Chris simms and Jet fans there aren’t a lot of Wilson supporters after watching him last year. It’s kinda fair.

You can ooze arm talent and be bad in the NFL. Zach can still redeem himself. How so? Play great football in 22. 

He has to earn it 

• Upvote 2

Smdh . Can't make this sh*t up 

LITERALLY says could be an unproven player (not enough information for voters to classify) or a veteran who ideally would not start all 17 games

So would a 2nd year player that missed a chunk of their first year be unproven or a veteran? 

Ffs?

1 hour ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

This stuff is really interesting as an outsider. I think Wilson takes a big leap this year, but for any Jets fans who take articles like this to heart, check this out. This was filmed after these guys had seen Darnold and Allen play for 2 years. Foxworth basically laughs at the idea of Allen being good and picks Tua (as the best QB in 3 years) even though he hadn't seen him play.

What's funny is that Foxworth (and Greeny too) now creams himself over Allen every chance he gets yet here is actually calling the very idea of him being the best QB in the division absurd.

There are a 1000 more clips and articles like this out there as well. In short, these bozos don't really know anything and just go with the recency effect. 

If Zach starts the season with 300 yards and 3TDs these same guys will be anointing him the league MVP, and they'll do it in a way that suggests they're really going out on a limb with the usual "you heard it here first" BS.

When it comes to Jets fans in the media, Greeny is easily the biggest joke there is. I couldn’t listen to him if you paid me. I am allergic. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

There's no reason that any Jets player is going to get any type of love until the team wins some games. Jets players will get this treatment until further notice. Zach will fly up this board if we win 7-10 games in 2022

At which point, the discussion will turn to being about Zach Wilson's mother's feet.

I've seen this show before.

2 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

That would go against his narrative, anything negative he posts. It’s like a child

image.jpeg.96e501f157c3bdc76e8a882449378ffd.jpeg

I know what OP’s agenda is; I just don’t have it in me to chew anyone out today, lmfao.

5 hours ago, Facts said:

He’s ranked 28th. Behind David freaking Mills. The headline is spot on.

Edit: I honestly didn’t know there was a quote (I got this from another forum), so I apologize if there is some asterisk or something to this article that I cant see since I don’t subscribe to The Athletic.

pretty sure the coaches and gm's had nothing to do with the rankings.

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

Where else would you put him?

Much more interesting is the guy two slots above him who was supposed to be the 'most accurate QB in the league'.

Also - it feels like half that bottom tier was drafted by us (wince).

Plus who the hell is Trevor Lawrence’s hype man? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

I was JUST looking for a place to drop this...

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mark Sanchez “has” 4 playoff wins in a similar way that the Key Grip on Forrest Gump “has” a Best Picture Oscar.  

That's not really fair.  I'm not a Sanchez guy but he did play pretty well in a couple of the playoff games.  From what I recall, actually, his best postseason game was in the AFC CG loss to the Colts.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That's not really fair.  I'm not a Sanchez guy but he did play pretty well in a couple of the playoff games.  From what I recall, actually, his best postseason game was in the AFC CG loss to the Colts.  

Sanchez was actually pretty damned competent in the playoff games.

image.png

9 TD - 3 INT in 6 games?  Not Mahomes/Allen worthy perhaps, but definitely not awful.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Plus who the hell is Trevor Lawrence’s hype man? 

flavor-flav-arriving-at-american-music-a

It's funny, but if you read the headings of each grouping Lawrence is in the Ryan Tannehill sucks and can't win with being carried by D and a running game group.  Wilson, Fields and Lance are in the sucks or not enough information group.  As long as he is in the not enough information side, I'd just as soon be there as Tier 3. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Sanchez took 2 of the most talented teams in the recent memory of the NFL and nearly ran them into the ground.  The 2009 team won only 9 games because of him.  In one of those 7 losses, the team ran for over 300 yards on the ground but still lost because of Sanchez.  Very nearly a f**kin travesty because we easily could have been bounced from the playoffs, much like the 10-win 2015 squad.  

It’s very fair. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Fine. But then don't mischaracterize the article with a BS post topic.  

“Don’t mischaracterize an article that you thought you had the full writings of and didn’t realize there was a quote that wasn’t posted”

Do you hear yourself when you talk?

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sanchez took 2 of the most talented teams in the recent memory of the NFL and nearly ran them into the ground.  The 2009 team won only 9 games because of him.  In one of those 7 losses, the team ran for over 300 yards on the ground but still lost because of Sanchez.  Very nearly a f**kin travesty because we easily could have been bounced from the playoffs, much like the 10-win 2015 squad.  

It’s very fair. 

I'm talking about his postseason performances only (in response to your comment):

Mark Sanchez “has” 4 playoff wins in a similar way that the Key Grip on Forrest Gump “has” a Best Picture Oscar.  

8 hours ago, slats said:

Who expects the national anything to rate Zach highly? They have him ranked here higher than he finished last season, so that’s something. Probably ranked higher than a number of fans here would place him. 

For what it's worth, I'd actually move him up a couple slots.

Fields doesn't belong at #35 over Mills or Zach, not with what he's shown at the NFL level so far (and I say that as a guy who would have drafted Fields over Wilson).

I'd also drop "Mr. Generationlols" Lawrence a few slots, he was about as poop as Zach last year, and just as equally has a ton to prove this year.

24. Tua Tagovailoa
25. David Mills
Tie 26. Zach Wilson
Tie 26. Trevor Lawrence
28. Justin Fields

That's more like it IMO.  Hard to argue Zach should be much higher based on his 2021 campaign, really.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Facts said:

The results reflect voting from 50 NFL coaches and executives, including six general managers, eight head coaches, 10 evaluators, 12 coordinators, six quarterback coaches and seven execs whose specialties include analytics, game management and the salary cap. The remaining ballot was put together by four members of one team’s personnel department.

The panel placed 35 veteran quarterbacks into one of five tiers, from best (Tier 1) to worst (Tier 5). Quarterbacks were then ranked by average vote and placed into tiers based on vote distribution, beginning with Aaron Rodgers, whose 1.00 average vote reflected his status as a unanimous Tier 1 selection.

The survey excludes rookies because voters have not seen them play in the NFL. More than one quarterback is featured for teams with unsettled starting jobs.

https://theathletic.com/3443022/2022/07/25/nfl-best-quarterbacks-tiers?source=user-shared-article

TIER 1

A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure passing situations. He has no real holes in his game.

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Patrick Mahomes
3. Tom Brady
4. Josh Allen
5. Justin Herbert
6. Joe Burrow

TIER 2

A Tier 2 quarterback can carry his team sometimes but not as consistently. He can handle pure passing situations in doses and/or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above Tier 3. He has a hole or two in his game.

7. Matt Stafford
8. Russell Wilson
9. Deshaun Watson
10. Lamar Jackson
11. Dak Prescott
12. Derek Carr
13. Kyler Murray
14. Matt Ryan

TIER 3

A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter but needs a heavier running game and/or defensive component to win. A lower-volume dropback passing offense suits him best.

15. Kirk Cousins
16. Jimmy Garoppolo
17. Ryan Tannehill
18. Mac Jones
19. Baker Mayfield
20 (T). Jalen Hurts
20 (T). Carson Wentz
22. Jared Goff
23. Trevor Lawrence
24. Jameis Winston

TIER 4

A Tier 4 quarterback could be an unproven player (not enough information for voters to classify) or a veteran who ideally would not start all 17 games.

25. Justin Fields
26. Tua Tagovailoa
27. David Mills
28. Zach Wilson
29. Trey Lance
30. Daniel Jones
31. Marcus Mariota
32. Sam Darnold
33. Mitch Trubisky
34. Drew Lock
35. Geno Smith

“Zach Wilson has got talent — he has ALL the physical talent,” a defensive coach from the AFC East said. “He is not lacking in any skill set from a tools standpoint. They have done a good job trying to draft and surround him with people. It’ll be a big year for him to take a leap. It was a bad team last year, and he made a lot of mistakes. We will have a better sense after this year.”

If you didn’t love Wilson coming out of BYU, there wasn’t enough during his rookie season to change your mind.

“He looks at the rush way too much,” an offensive play caller said. “He is one of those guys who sees the rush and wants to get depth and run right, but you lose the field when you do that.”

A head coach vouched for Wilson’s skill set while noting “there were times where it looked like it was too big for him,” suggesting Wilson needs to settle down this year.

“Tell me one marquee player that he had around him last year,” a quarterbacks coach said. “I still think the sky’s the limit for this kid. He’s got some young weapons now, and I think they are going to be a lot better.”

LOL the QB position in the NFL gives new meaning to the acronym Not For Long. Just a putrid list of no names. 
1st tier - exceptional

2nd tier - very good 

3rd tier - manure fertilizer 

*4th tier - practice squad/picket line qb’s 

*excluding Lawrence and Zach - both TBD 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

For what it's worth, I'd actually move him up a couple slots.

Fields doesn't belong at #35 over Mills or Zach, not with what he's shown at the NFL level so far (and I say that as a guy who would have drafted Fields over Wilson).

I'd also drop "Mr. Generationlols" Lawrence a few slots, he was about as poop as Zach last year, and just as equally has a ton to prove this year.

24. Tua Tagovailoa
25. David Mills
Tie 26. Zach Wilson
Tie 26. Trevor Lawrence
28. Justin Fields

That's more like it IMO.  Hard to argue Zach should be much higher based on his 2021 campaign, really.

Yea I don’t really get why Lawrence is ranked as high as he is. He went at least 8 straight games without a TD pass if I remember correctly and the Jets with one of the worst defenses ever outscored his Jags team. That said, ZW didn’t really play much better so I also agree with you on that. I like your placement of Fields as well, but I think he should maybe even be a spot or two lower. I don’t see the bears giving him help any time soon and he kind of sucked worse than either of the other 2

• Upvote 1