Around the league - training camp

20 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

True but lets not act like our own Zach Wilson put on 20 lbs of muscle in 2 months cause he was eating his spinanch all offseason.

I don't care about the 20 llbs of muscle. I'll leave that for Joe Willy.

If Zach can emulate his birthday twin's success on the field, I'm all for the under-table pay structure to cheat the salary cap, the HGH, and the extra-curricular film study. Hell, I'll take it all for even 1/4th of the success.

Should get all the jokes in now because they'll be the ones laughing at the end of the season. That kid is legit, and I think we'll all come to understand he's got more than enough arm strength. 
I was actually being serious
.. did any pass travel more than 10 yds in the air ?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Not sure about that but I remember he completed plenty against us in two beatings last season. My god we are a fanbase of delusional beaten fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Not sure about that but I remember he completed plenty against us in two beatings last season. My god we are a fanbase of delusional beaten fans.
So then your saying that having great arm talent isnt really necessary... it's mostly coaching and 'nutrition'. I can respect that. Dont agree with it .. but can respect it.

Then again I'd prefer Jeff George to Trent Dilfer ... so what do I know.

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

So then your saying that having great arm talent isnt really necessary... it's mostly coaching and 'nutrition'. I can respect that. Dont agree with it .. but can respect it.

What is arm talent, the ability to throw it a mile, or the ability to put ball exactly where you intend? Which is more important in today's game? How many rocket armed college QBs never take snap in the NFL? What I'm saying is there's a ton more to being a good NFL QB than just arm strength,  it's not even in the top 3 attributes as far as I'm concerned. Take the fact that he's now a Patriot QB out of the equation and tell me what the difference in physical skills are between Joe Burrows or Drew Brees?

• Haha 1

What is arm talent, the ability to throw it a mile, or the ability to put ball exactly where you intend? Which is more important in today's game? How many rocket armed college QBs never take snap in the NFL? What I'm saying is there's a ton more to being a good NFL QB than just arm strength,  it's not even in the top 3 attributes as far as I'm concerned. Take the fact that he's now a Patriot QB out of the equation and tell me what the difference in physical skills are between Joe Burrows or Drew Brees?
I agree that accuracy is no 1, read defenses no.2, ... but being able to hit a deep threat anywhere on the field is no.3(4) for me. Leadership no. 4(3)

I'm actually shocked that the 49'ers are moving off Jimmy G.  I thought for sure he'd have one more season with Lance sitting behind him due to just overall lack of actual football played by Lance.  I get the feeling that they are feeling the sunken cost of all those first rounders and feel the need to play him.  But here we go, it should be interesting.  I have very little faith that they'll be able to replicate the success they've had previously with him under center.  Who knows though, the kid is certainly oozing with physical talent.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I’m not a Pats fan. I have thought all along that Mac Jones would be good. This all seems like a futile argument.

I think he was the best prepared but least talented QB in the draft.  He was able to step in and play at his best with a playoff ready team.  I think what he is and will be is a decent QB who will manage his offense.  

Where was the futile argument?  I never said he sucked or can’t play.   He brought up what the media say about him and disputed it.  I said we should believe a Pats fan instead?  I said he has a weak arm?  I said the Pats have dropped back to the pack?  I’m not getting the futile part. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Dreams said:

Why, because I don't jump up and down and pretend the kids going to suck? Look,  he's the QB the front office should have targeted, it doesn't matter if you believe it or not, we are all going see very soon and one of us is going to be wrong. 

no, ....its because you are rooting for the wrong QB

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

The whole league knows he’ll be a cut. At this point, the 49ers hope for a late pick. The team offering has to be desperate to guarantee they get him + willing to pay that salary.

That’s the thing is that salary. And it’s not guaranteed, so the 49ers would have to decide if eating a big chunk of salary is worth a late pick vs. just cutting him and saving the cap dollars. Don’t know if his injury is still holding things up, but they should just release him. Thing is, Jimmy G is such a wuss that he won’t complain at all when he should be screaming his head off. The team screwed him this year. 

• Upvote 3

Jamal Adams so thoroughly destroyed the seahwaks that geno is their starter and long time much loved pete carrroll and john schneider will go out being derided as utter buffoons rather than the guys who made that team a success.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I think he was the best prepared but least talent QB in the draft.  He was able to step in and play at his best with a playoff ready team.  I think what he is and will be is a decent QB who will manage his offense.  

Where was the futile argument?  I never said he sucked or can’t play.   He brought up what the media say about him and disputed it.  I said we should believe a Pats fan instead?  I said he has a weak arm?  I said the Pats have dropped back to the pack?  I’m not getting the futile part. 

We see every season that situation is a huge factor in realized potential. 

It’s futile because how often do folks change their mind after arguing? It’s futile because there aren’t any facts to support these arguments yet. 

Mire specifically, I was talking about arguing that Dreams is a Pats fan in disguise. Who cares.

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Drums said:

Wow reading this article makes it seem the Steelers are doomed. 

Remember when Steeler fans were calling for Tomlin to be fired a couple of years ago?  This year they might actually not be that good of a team.  If that plays out, I could see them really wanting him out.  If we can't get Sean Payton (who I'd love to have here), I'd also immediately fire Saleh if Tomlin were willing to take the Jets' job.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

We see every season that situation is a huge factor in realized potential. 

It’s futile because how often do folks change their mind after arguing? It’s futile because there aren’t any facts to support these arguments yet. 

Mire specifically, I was talking about arguing that Dreams is a Pats fan in disguise. Who cares.

It’s not futile because the only negative part of my post was a goofy meme about his weak arm.  And yes he has a weak arm.   There was no argument.  
He’s a Pats fan making believe he isn’t and that’s something to goof on

• Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I think he was the best prepared but least talented QB in the draft.  He was able to step in and play at his best with a playoff ready team.  I think what he is and will be is a decent QB who will manage his offense.  

The futile part is arguing over what he's going to be, you've stated your opinion and I mine, time will tell. 

46 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

no, ....its because you are rooting for the wrong QB

I'm talking football, what Mac Jones is or becomes has nothing to do with what Zach Wilson becomes. We should have drafted Mac Jones, I'm sorry but that was my opinion before the draft and it still is. Zach was an over drafted media creation based on one season of success against low level competition, no matter how much I root for him it's not going to change that. I've said this before, in the last 20 years a dozen or so rookie QB's that started and finished their seasons at the bottom of the league statistically haven't amounted to anything in the NFL, not one was more than a career back up. Guess where Zach ended up last season? I've seen this movie before, I know how it ends, so I'm sorry for not blowing smoke up your back side.  

10 minutes ago, Dreams said:

The futile part is arguing over what he's going to be, you've stated your opinion and I mine, time will tell. 

I said he has a weak arm and is the most physically limited of his draft class. Go ahead and dispute that. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Question... would u prefer Jimmy G and his contract ?

I would prefer Jimmy G  to turn to if Zach Wilson is a bust. If he's not, flip Jimmy G to a contender who loses their starter to injury. The 49ers need the cap space to lock up Deebo and Bosa to long-term deals. The Jets can afford Jimmy Garoppolo in 2022. 

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It’s not futile because the only negative part of my post was a goofy meme about his weak arm.  And yes he has a weak arm.   There was no argument.  
He’s a Pats fan making believe he isn’t and that’s something to goof on

Arguing to prove a futile argument isn’t futile, is so futile. You’re so meta.

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Take your meds ffs

Have no idea what you’re arguing about.  Who pissed in your coffee
Sorry you didn’t like the explanation. 

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

I said he has a weak arm and is the most physically limited of his draft class. Go ahead and dispute that. 

Weak in terms of what? A guy like Zach that can throw it a mile when he chucks and ducks? No argument, Zach has a stronger arm, so did Browning Nagle. What I'm saying is that Jones physical limitations are being extremely overstated both here and by the talking heads. He made big throws at Alabama, he made big throws for the Patriots last year. Multiple examples of him hitting the 20 yard out with sufficient velocity, but what he excels at is where the game is won or lost most often in todays NFL, at the line of scrimmage, reading defenses and getting the ball out quickly with accuracy. Look, believe what you like, the facts will be put out on the field unfortunately,         

16 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I would prefer Jimmy G  to turn to if Zach Wilson is a bust. If he's not, flip Jimmy G to a contender who loses their starter to injury. The 49ers need the cap space to lock up Deebo and Bosa to long-term deals. The Jets can afford Jimmy Garoppolo in 2022. 

Actually that's not even close to true.  The Jets have roughly $8M in cap space right now.  Jimmy G's salary this year is $24.2M.  Who would you like to cut to fit him in?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Problem is that if Jimmy G is negotiating to reduce his salary to facilitate a trade, you can bet he has input into where that trade is. Why would he want to come here and back up Zach?   

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Actually that's not even close to true.  The Jets have roughly $8M in cap space right now.  Jimmy G's salary this year is $24.2M.  Who would you like to cut to fit him in?

Don't be niave. Any team trading for him will get that cap nunber down or the 49ers will have to release him in order to facilitate deals for Deebo and Bosa. 

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Mac Jones was:

-17th in the NFL last season in Air Yards per Completion. Ahead of Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady.
-14th in passes over 10 yards
-11th in passes over 20 yards
-13th in number of big pass plays (over 25 yards).

Mac outperformed the expected output in the latter three categories (which could be skewed by YAC) considering his weaponz ranked 18th in YAC per completion. He made his teammates better, exactly as a FQB should and he was only a rookie.

He may not have a mega cannon but he has a satisfactory NFL caliber arm and is likely to continue to get better as his game relies less on relatively inelastic physical superiority than it does on football smarts and acumen, both of which tend to grow appreciably with additional playing experience.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Dreams said:

Problem is that if Jimmy G is negotiating to reduce his salary to facilitate a trade, you can bet he has input into where that trade is. Why would he want to come here and back up Zach?   

He’d be foolish to help the 49ers get something for him. What he should be asking for is to be cut. He’ll get a better deal, and get to choose his team as a free agent. San Francisco moved on from him, he owes them nothing. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Dreams said:

Weak in terms of what? A guy like Zach that can throw it a mile when he chucks and ducks? No argument, Zach has a stronger arm, so did Browning Nagle. What I'm saying is that Jones physical limitations are being extremely overstated both here and by the talking heads. He made big throws at Alabama, he made big throws for the Patriots last year. Multiple examples of him hitting the 20 yard out with sufficient velocity, but what he excels at is where the game is won or lost most often in todays NFL, at the line of scrimmage, reading defenses and getting the ball out quickly with accuracy. Look, believe what you like, the facts will be put out on the field unfortunately,         

820364DD-A1C8-4A2F-A196-E85CE7634B96.gif

2 hours ago, rtnelson said:

I'm actually shocked that the 49'ers are moving off Jimmy G.  I thought for sure he'd have one more season with Lance sitting behind him due to just overall lack of actual football played by Lance.  I get the feeling that they are feeling the sunken cost of all those first rounders and feel the need to play him.  But here we go, it should be interesting.  I have very little faith that they'll be able to replicate the success they've had previously with him under center.  Who knows though, the kid is certainly oozing with physical talent.

There's just no point in sticking with Jimmy G. He's reached his ceiling with that team and now coming off an injury. It's time to move on to your young QB and see what he's got. He'll prob get moved for a 3rd or 4th rounder at some point.  I think Lance will do well for them actually. Think that QB class will turn out pretty good overall...hopefully Zach doesn't screw it up!

32 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Don't be niave. Any team trading for him will get that cap nunber down or the 49ers will have to release him in order to facilitate deals for Deebo and Bosa. 

If you trade for him, it's a lot hard to 'get that number down'.  That's why teams wait for players to be cut.  This is the last year of his contract.  Do you want to extend him to get it down?