Around the league - training camp

23 hours ago, nycdan said:

If you trade for him, it's a lot hard to 'get that number down'.  That's why teams wait for players to be cut.  This is the last year of his contract.  Do you want to extend him to get it down?

I would want to find a way to fit his cap number in this year, and be able to trade him this year for picks should Zach Wilson look like he's the franchise QB in 2022. No way Garoppolo comes here as a free agent. With all of that said I know it's very unlikely JD ever would bring in a quarterback of Jimmy Garoppolo's caliber in year 2 with Zach Wilson. I would, but I totally see the financial/psychological arguments for not bringing a quarterback like that here. 

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

I would want to find a way to fit his cap number in this year, and be able to trade him this year for picks should Zach Wilson look like he's the franchise QB in 2022. No way Garoppolo comes here as a free agent. With all of that said I know it's very unlikely JD ever would bring in a quarterback of Jimmy Garoppolo's caliber in year 2 with Zach Wilson. I would, but I totally see the financial/psychological arguments for not bringing a quarterback like that here. 

There is literally zero chance. The only possible scenario would be a season ending injury. The continued Zach hate is just so disheartening it pollutues every thread.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

This is understandable but I have to believe that the coaching staff have pretty good understanding of Zach's limitations at this point, but at the same time can't bring a guy like Jimmy in even though the Jets would immediately be a playoff team with him at the helm. They have to go through the "dance", of giving Zach the chance to develop. If they had any balls they immediately sign Jimmy as the starter, sit Zach on the bench to learn.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1

Couple headlines:

- Jahan Dotson continues to impress in camp

- Rhamondre Stevenson could get bill of carried

- Zander Horvath working with first-team (I loved this kid after doing the JN mock draft)

- Jalen Reagor and Mike’s Sanders both working with 2nd team for Philly

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Couple headlines:

- Zander Horvath working with first-team (I loved this kid after doing the JN mock draft)

Good for Dotson.  I talked myself into his workout numbers meaning he wouldn’t make the jump.  Film 1st is again emphasized lol.  

Sure whatever you say, if you don't believe in Zach Wilson you can't be a Jets fan. 
Well ... I have no problem with any jets fan who thinks Wilson stinks and wont get better.

What I dont understand is the hatred... The absolute innability to see potential, ability and progress ... and actually rails against it.

b2bfa2a0ad6127389e6d49ffcd16ce4f.gif

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Well ... I have no problem with any jets fan who thinks Wilson stinks and wont get better.

What I dont understand is the hatred... The absolute innability to see potential, ability and progress ... and actually rails against it.

b2bfa2a0ad6127389e6d49ffcd16ce4f.gif

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Nothing in what I posted says I hate the kid, that's ridiculous.  As for potential, every single player drafted into the NFL has talent and potential. The problem is what the NFL draft has become and how marketing and media hype elevate players beyond what their skills and production are because they are selling an event. Teams fall right into that hype and then you ended up shocked when the 3rd pick in the draft can't live up to the hype. It's not Zach's fault he was overhyped and over drafted, so no hate at all. 

• Thumb Down 1

On 7/28/2022 at 8:31 AM, Jet Nut said:

Because stating that Jones doesn’t have a strong arm isn’t arguing to 99% of the world and doesn’t require meds.  

in all honestly it doesnt matter if he has a strong arm or not in his situation. Of all the qb's drafted in the 1st rd the only one set up for faliure is Justin Fields.

1. Mac- well established system and hall of fame coach in place for over 20 years.

2. Zack- LOADS of new talent around him and a qb friendly system. I mean LOADS, like the most talent that I have seen on a Jets team in 20 years. He has every opportunity in the world to succeed. 

3. Trevor- good superbowl winning coach that knows how to build a program and has done it before. 

4. Justin-??? FUGGED

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Dreams said:

Nothing in what I posted says I hate the kid, that's ridiculous.  As for potential, every single player drafted into the NFL has talent and potential. The problem is what the NFL draft has become and how marketing and media hype elevate players beyond what their skills and production are because they are selling an event. Teams fall right into that hype and then you ended up shocked when the 3rd pick in the draft can't live up to the hype. It's not Zach's fault he was overhyped and over drafted, so no hate at all. 

This is true...Zack was definitely overhyped based on that one year. I am not an evaluator so the traits and potential he was drafted on still eludes me but he is on our squad so he gets my support. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

This is true...Zack was definitely overhyped based on that one year. I am not an evaluator so the traits and potential he was drafted on still eludes me but he is on our squad so he gets my support. 

And he should, people mistake my predictions for him as a lack of support.  I hope I'm wrong, but doubt I am. The reality is no matter my support or anyone else's it's not going to change a single thing in terms of what he's going to be as a QB. There are those that just can't separate what they want from what is.

19 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I can help with the traits: 

He’s elusive in the pocket 

able to throw on the move with velocity 

changes arm angles no problem (throw over Vita Vea was a sky hook, side arm around the rush etc). This means lost plays can become a success.  

In a game wearing pads he threw a ball clocked as fast as the record throw in the combine - top NFL arm strength. 

On out routes last season and against the Zone he was decisive, acurate and ripped the ball like an elite QB.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dreams said:

And he should, people mistake my predictions for him as a lack of support.  I hope I'm wrong, but doubt I am. The reality is no matter my support or anyone else's it's not going to change a single thing in terms of what he's going to be as a QB. There are those that just can't separate what they want from what is.

I dont know you so that may be true......but you dont at all in the least bit sound "supportive". 

Your kids must hate you. LOL

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I dont know you so that may be true......but you dont at all in the least bit sound "supportive". 

Your kids must hate you. LOL

I'm 53 years old, I've been disappointed too many times. Maybe it's a defense mechanism,  but at least come week 8 I won't be devastated as many here will be.

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Couple headlines:

The biggest mistake this team made this draft was not getting Zander Horvath. He’s legitimately gonna be a weapon. Kyle Juszcyk type with more running ability, would’ve made our backfield the best in the league.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Couple headlines:

Dotson might end up being the best wr from this draft.

44 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

We shall see my friend.....you got at least a 50/50 shot at it. 

If you think there's a 50/50 shot for Zach I've got bad news for you.  In the last 20 years alone there have been about a dozen rookie QB'S that have started or played significant time and who have also ended up as the statistically worst QB in the league.  Guess how many of them ended up being even functional NFL QBs?

22 hours ago, kdels62 said:

The biggest mistake this team made this draft was not getting Zander Horvath. He’s legitimately gonna be a weapon. Kyle Juszcyk type with more running ability, would’ve made our backfield the best in the league.

Yea, I tend to agree. Hoping Zonovan can be something for us - but, Zander was the guy in my opinion.

20 hours ago, Dreams said:

If you think there's a 50/50 shot for Zach I've got bad news for you.  In the last 20 years alone there have been about a dozen rookie QB'S that have started or played significant time and who have also ended up as the statistically worst QB in the league.  Guess how many of them ended up being even functional NFL QBs?

Hey dude, can you move it to another thread? We usually like to have threads like this that avoid debate and genuinely serve the purpose of awareness.

I love to bust balls in most threads, but even I get this.

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Guys, start another thread. There are plenty of junk threads on junk topics that you can hijack.

Nobody is opening the “around the league” thread at the start of camps to read a 6-page slap fight about Zach vs. Mac, littered with smooth-brain arguments based on things that haven’t even happened.

One of the rare times I think @slats or @The Crusher might want to just go ahead and delete off-topic trash.

We have literally 100 threads to debate Zach Wilson.  Can we please at least try and keep him out of threads about "the rest of the league" please.

Your "Garoppolo is 100 times better than Zach even if both his arms got chopped off" and "Zach is elite and beautiful why does everyone hate his dreaminess" takes can go in one of those threads.....

• Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Guys, start another thread. There are plenty of junk threads on junk topics that you can hijack.

Nobody is opening the “around the league” thread at the start of camps to read a 6-page slap fight about Zach vs. Mac, littered with smooth-brain arguments based on things that haven’t even happened.

I LOL'd.   Hilariously put.

• Sympathy 1

On 7/30/2022 at 10:14 AM, jetspenguin said:

in all honestly it doesnt matter if he has a strong arm or not in his situation. Of all the qb's drafted in the 1st rd the only one set up for faliure is Justin Fields.

1. Mac- well established system and hall of fame coach in place for over 20 years.

2. Zack- LOADS of new talent around him and a qb friendly system. I mean LOADS, like the most talent that I have seen on a Jets team in 20 years. He has every opportunity in the world to succeed. 

3. Trevor- good superbowl winning coach that knows how to build a program and has done it before. 

4. Justin-??? FUGGED

The reports out of camp so far are that Fields has been playing well, but its day 4 or 5 of practice, so take it with a grain of salt. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Not everyday you here someone claim, not taking the 260th overall player in the draft was a mistake.  lol  Where would the Jets have taken him considering their last pick was 117?  

• Sympathy 1

On 7/29/2022 at 10:51 AM, Dreams said:

This is understandable but I have to believe that the coaching staff have pretty good understanding of Zach's limitations at this point, but at the same time can't bring a guy like Jimmy in even though the Jets would immediately be a playoff team with him at the helm. They have to go through the "dance", of giving Zach the chance to develop. If they had any balls they immediately sign Jimmy as the starter, sit Zach on the bench to learn.   

We’re starting this already?

Turning every thread into a Zach Wilson bashing thread.  
Training Camps around the League turns into - we need to bench ZW. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

The reports out of camp so far are that Fields has been playing well, but its day 4 or 5 of practice, so take it with a grain of salt. 

That's what I keep hearing as well.  Just a totally different level of confidence.  Wonder if the offense geared for him or just comfort is the catalyst.  I actually just saw a piece on him, former Jets from last years squad Ryan Griffin is saying he's never a met a more focused player.  Thought that was interesting considering he's played with Wilson and my former love affair, Watson.  That said, the Bears are awful and I think they've proper ****ed Fields.  He has the worst OL in the league with really nothing to throw to other than Mooney.  If they even sniff .500, Fields might be in the MVP conversation.  That offense is hot garbage.