By Announcing Becton at RT, Will 5th Year Option Be Cheaper ?

Fant absolutely won the right to play LT this year. JD can either sign him to a new deal or let him walk with a cheaper Becton at LT for 2 years. Secure a comp pick if Fant signs somewhere else and JD plays FA correctly. 

What’s everyone’s thinking on this. Becton was drafted to be the LT. Is this JD/Saleh way of motivating him or just the best fit for the team?

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

For right now, I think it's the best fit.

I don't know if 5th year option works for position, or just draft slot.

I think it is just draft position but there are escalators based on performance, making pro bowls, all pro, etc..

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think it is just draft position but there are escalators based on performance, making pro bowls, all pro, etc..

Pretty sure you are right.  I don't think 5th year option works like the tag -- position on the field does not impact cost of the option.

Edit - should have checked first.  5th year option is impacted by position.  From over the cap -- looks like Rt and LT are paid the same if you click on the link from OTC.:

https://overthecap.com/fifth-year-option-projections

Fifth Year Option Projections
The 2020 Collective Bargaining Agreement allows for teams to exercise a fifth year option for players drafted in the first round as an addition to the standard four year rookie contract. Article 7, Section 7(g) provides for four different tiers of salary for the fifth year option, calculated as follows:

Basic: Players who do not meet any of the requirements below will be eligible for a fifth year base salary calculated from the average of the 3rd to 25th highest salaries at their position over the past five seasons.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't think the plan is for him to at RT forever. If he plays well and stays healthy Fant is gone and he's back to LT.

Performance now dictates the option-year salaries. With two or more Pro Bowl selections on the original ballot during the first three seasons of contracts, the fifth-year salary is the franchise tender -- which is the average of the five highest salaries for a player's position in the fourth year of his contract. One Pro Bowl selection on the original ballot during the first three seasons of a deal puts the fifth-year salary at the transition tender -- which is the average of the 10 highest salaries for a player's position in the fourth year of his contract.

Participating in 75% of offensive or defensive plays, whichever is applicable, in two of the first three seasons of deals or an average of at least 50% play time in each of the first three seasons, sets the fifth-year salary at the average of the third through 20th highest salaries at a player's position. For first-round picks that don't fall into any of these three categories, the fifth-year salary is the average of the third through 25th highest salaries at a player's position.

He's missed a lot of time, he better get healthy, or that 5th year tender goes down again.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't think the plan is for him to at RT forever. If he plays well and stays healthy Fant is gone and he's back to LT.

Performance now dictates the option-year salaries. With two or more Pro Bowl selections on the original ballot during the first three seasons of contracts, the fifth-year salary is the franchise tender -- which is the average of the five highest salaries for a player's position in the fourth year of his contract. One Pro Bowl selection on the original ballot during the first three seasons of a deal puts the fifth-year salary at the transition tender -- which is the average of the 10 highest salaries for a player's position in the fourth year of his contract.

Participating in 75% of offensive or defensive plays, whichever is applicable, in two of the first three seasons of deals or an average of at least 50% play time in each of the first three seasons, sets the fifth-year salary at the average of the third through 20th highest salaries at a player's position. For first-round picks that don't fall into any of these three categories, the fifth-year salary is the average of the third through 25th highest salaries at a player's position.

Ya. Someone on here posted the idea of letting fant walk,  moving Becton left and sliding max to right. 

I like that idea as long as JD picks another 2nd/3rd round OT in next year's draft. 

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If Becton plays at an All Pro level at RT don’t think it’s wise to move him as I think Max Mitchell is better suited for LT if in fact they let Fant walk 

7 minutes ago, CSNY said:

If Becton plays at an All Pro level at RT don’t think it’s wise to move him as I think Max Mitchell is better suited for LT if in fact they let Fant walk 

Yes, don't move the franchise first round pick who played at an All Pro level to LT -- we're saving that spot for the 4th round pick.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Yes, don't move the franchise first round pick who played at an All Pro level to LT -- we're saving that spot for the 4th round pick.

Didn’t realize Becton was a All Pro his rookie year 

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well they just moved Becton to RT for a player who went undrafted and was originally a tight end So why not a fourth round pick if he is capable and plays to a Fant like level which makes the line potentially dominant for years to come 

Zach likes to run right when he scrambles. AVT and Becton on the right side gives us maulers for the run game but also for Zach’s playground ball.

This creates a more typical blindside protection need, which I think Fant is ideal for.

I have no idea what this means for contracts and value. I just know it’s sounds money.

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Thanks for posting. Somewhat significant for Becton to hit 75% of snaps this year - or make the Pro Bowl - since he was below 50% last year.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Zach likes to run right when he scrambles. AVT and Becton on the right side gives us maulers for the run game but also for Zach’s playground ball.

This creates a more typical blindside protection need, which I think Fant is ideal for.

I have no idea what this means for contracts and value. I just know it’s sounds money.

Becton looks his best when he is just mauling dudes. It’s the right place for right now. Money will find him 

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Well they just moved Becton to RT for a player who went undrafted and was originally a tight end So why not a fourth round pick if he is capable and plays to a Fant like level which makes the line potentially dominant for years to come 

Not impossible but it’s pretty rare for 4th round picks to end up being that good. Hope he is.

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Why would you tag Fant. If it comes to that, all you are doing is getting a 1 year rental out of him and he will be gone the next. 

1 more year is better than 0 if they can’t reach a deal. According to your logic why would any team tag anyone then. 

6 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

1 more year is better than 0 if they can’t reach a deal. According to your logic why would any team tag anyone then. 

To buy time to continue to work on a long term deal for a player that is worth top money . If Fant is asking for more than the Jets will pay, you let him walk, you don't  pay him the average of the top 3 players at LT. 

8 hours ago, Lith said:

Pretty sure you are right.  I don't think 5th year option works like the tag -- position on the field does not impact cost of the option.

Edit - should have checked first.  5th year option is impacted by position.  From over the cap -- looks like Rt and LT are paid the same if you click on the link from OTC.:

https://overthecap.com/fifth-year-option-projections

Fifth Year Option Projections
The 2020 Collective Bargaining Agreement allows for teams to exercise a fifth year option for players drafted in the first round as an addition to the standard four year rookie contract. Article 7, Section 7(g) provides for four different tiers of salary for the fifth year option, calculated as follows:

Basic: Players who do not meet any of the requirements below will be eligible for a fifth year base salary calculated from the average of the 3rd to 25th highest salaries at their position over the past five seasons.

Thanks for checking this I was wondering about it earlier and didn't have time to look.

3 hours ago, jgb said:

It’s actually good he washed out as his intended position and was outplayed by a journeyman and we passed on an all pro LT for him because something something salary cap savings.

I get this is part of your schtick but this is a terrible post.

What is good is that Fant was signed and played at a Pro Bowl level when he got here.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

I get this is part of your schtick but this is a terrible post.

What is good is that Fant was signed and played at a Pro Bowl level when he got here.

It’s satire. I only wish posts intimating Becton’s struggles are “good” so we can save a few shekels were also.