Baker Mayfield vs Sam Darnold update

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Their jobs are on the line.  No way they choose that boogie boarding loser knowing they may get the ax this year.  Mayfield sucks but he sucks a lot less than Darnold.  

This is no time to honor a sunken cost.

Actually, we will find this out (who is worse). Baker got off to a faster start and played on a loaded team but he made some God awful throws last season. 

21 minutes ago, AltonBrown said:

Joe Douglas traded Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold for 2 firsts (including a top 10 pick), 1 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. What a heist. 

The Master at work.  Woody will extend Joe Douglas soon and make him the highest paid GM in the league.  And it will be a steal cause hes worth 3 times that.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Master at work.  Woody will extend Joe Douglas soon and make him the highest paid GM in the league.  And it will be a steal cause hes worth 3 times that.

Can’t deny Douglas had a sound plan (unlike McCagnan and Tannenbaum), but so do Idzik. It’s all dependent on Wilson and his draft picks working out (along with Saleh). 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, AltonBrown said:

If I had to guess Darnold wins the job. Mayfield is probably the slightly better QB, but they invested way more in Darnold. 

By that standard, the Leaning Tower of Pisa is slightly tilted. 

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Their jobs are on the line.  No way they choose that boogie boarding loser knowing they may get the ax this year.  Mayfield sucks but he sucks a lot less than Darnold.  

This is no time to honor a sunken cost.

Competition Bingo GIF

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Rhule's job is on the line.  He cant waste 1 minute of the next 17 games playing Sam Darnold at qb.

And let's be real here.  Even if he DID name Darnold the Week 1 starter, it's only a matter of time before he gets sidelined with some soft injury.  Mayfield will see a LOT of time under center this year regardless. 

But yes, I do anticipate Mayfield being named the Week 1 starter and not looking back.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And let's be real here.  Even if he DID name Darnold the Week 1 starter, it's only a matter of time before he gets sidelined with some soft injury.  

Mayfield will see a LOT of time under center this year regardless.  But yes, I do anticipate him being the Week 1 starter and not looking back.

Rhule ain’t starting Darnold. If Mayfield twists an ankle getting off the bus week 1, Carolina will trade for Minshew before kickoff.

• Upvote 3

Panthers refused to pay Baker 5 million, made him take 4.85 million and have him eat 3.5 million of his guaranteed salary. Panthers are NOT in love with Baker or they wouldn't have taken such a hard line, possibly losing him.

Baker walked into a great situation - stacked team - and produced one good season with one wildcard win. Darnold walked into the Jets and even most of the guys who hate him will admit he's never had any talent to work with. But I know - Darnold would suck if he was surrounded by HOF'ers.

Darnold took the reps w/the ones today and Mayfield will get them tomorrow so it seems to be a fair comp setup by Rhule.  Side by side Darnold is the better QB and will start the season.

Now - back to our MILF loving wonder boy who'll surely outperform both of those clowns in Carolina.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Has there ever been a more, "Throw spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks!" approach to trying to find a starting QB than what's going on in Carolina?

Do they really think they might be able to find out one of these guys is who the NFL actually thought he was on Draft night, fix him, rehabilitate his football career, and be good to go?  Or, are they just putting off a tank for another year?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

Panthers refused to pay Baker 5 million, made him take 4.85 million and have him eat 3.5 million of his guaranteed salary. Panthers are NOT in love with Baker or they wouldn't have taken such a hard line, possibly losing him.

Baker walked into a great situation - stacked team - and produced one good season with one wildcard win. Darnold walked into the Jets and even most of the guys who hate him will admit he's never had any talent to work with. But I know - Darnold would suck if he was surrounded by HOF'ers.

Darnold took the reps w/the ones today and Mayfield will get them tomorrow so it seems to be a fair comp setup by Rhule.  Side by side Darnold is the better QB and will start the season.

Now - back to our MILF loving wonder boy who'll surely outperform both of those clowns in Carolina.

I literally laughed out loud, thank you.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, AltonBrown said:

If I had to guess Darnold wins the job. Mayfield is probably the slightly better QB, but they invested way more in Darnold. 

It's only because they gave up so much for Darnold that they aren't just handing the job over to the obviously better player. Baker will win the job before the first preseason game. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Legend Killa7 said:

Personally rooting for Sam. Always liked him and wanted it to work out with him here. Mayfield is just a jerk. Would be amazing if he gets beaten out by Sam after all the whining with the Watson stuff.

Who cares if Darnold is a good boy. Terrible QB.

4 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Damn who’s ? did darnold suck for all these chances??? Baker is light years ahead of darnold, why is this even a competition?????????

Mayfield has a whiff of upside. Darnold is a coach killer. Easiest choice in the world for Rhule.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's only because they gave up so much for Darnold that they aren't just handing the job over to the obviously better player. Baker will win the job before the first preseason game. 

As Jets fans, we are experts on sham QB competitions!

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hes a good kid.

Baker performs best with a chip on his shoulder (helps when that same shoulder is healthy). At least he has something to bounce back to (competent QB play). Darnold is toast.

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And let's be real here.  Even if he DID name Darnold the Week 1 starter, it's only a matter of time before he gets sidelined with some soft injury.  Mayfield will see a LOT of time under center this year regardless. 

But yes, I do anticipate Mayfield being named the Week 1 starter and not looking back.

This is probably an unfair stmt but rhule comes across as the type of guy you simply can’t trust.

I Would not be surprised if he is working back channels to land back in college.

I agree mayfield is starting barring injury. If it goes south quickly, I could see rhule bailing on these guys which would be ironic since he caused the chaos.

• Upvote 1