Baker Mayfield vs Sam Darnold update

I can't understand how anyone with 2 functioning eyeballs can say that Darnold is a better QB than Mayfield. Not saying he is top 10 or even 15 but Baker has proven he belongs in the league and may still improve. 

Mayfield, middle of the pack starter.

Darnold, bottom of the pack back up maybe out of the league in a year or 2.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Master at work.  Woody will extend Joe Douglas soon and make him the highest paid GM in the league.  And it will be a steal cause hes worth 3 times that.

I might like to see a JD-designed roster win more games than they lose in a season at least once before I make him the highest paid GM in the NFL or claim he's worth 3x the highest paid GM in the NFL.

But I know, extreme hyperbole is your SAR-like schtick these days.  So keep on keepin' on.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Actually, we will find this out (who is worse). Baker got off to a faster start and played on a loaded team but he made some God awful throws last season. 

And somehow Darnold was worse

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

I can't understand how anyone with 2 functioning eyeballs can say that Darnold is a better QB than Mayfield. Not saying he is top 10 or even 15 but Baker has proven he belongs in the league and may still improve. 

Mayfield, middle of the pack starter.

Darnold, bottom of the pack back up maybe out of the league in a year or 2.

Isn't that what competitions are for?  Let the two of them settle that question on the field, with the #1 job on the line.  Best man wins.

I think Mayfield will win out, but in fairness, I preferred Mayfield over Darnold quite a bit that draft cycle, so I have some bias on this one no doubt.

9 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

I'm giddy about seeing what he gets for Becton.  OMG!!!!

Is there any thread you can’t drag Bectons name into?  
If you’re sitting around waiting to get giddy over a Becton trade I don’t know what to tell you.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Is there any thread you can’t drag Bectons name into?  
If you’re sitting around waiting to get giddy over a Becton trade I don’t know what to tell you.

Yep, the Zach Wilson threads!!!   Waiting for the light to click on for Wilson.  Waiting for Becton to turn off the light in the kitchen.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

That's  actually questionable

The Browns games I watched, especially  his last one, you had to wonder if Baker had become the NFL version of retarded.  

He played with a shoulder injury, to his non throwing arm but injured and was better.  Darnold sat out

20 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Did his shoulder effect his brain? 

Which non head injury affects someone’s brain?  Darnold threw the same number of ints in fewer games.  Brains are similar
Neither QB is all that good.  Both have shown to have lots of issues, it’s just that Baker has had moments, has made the playoffs, barely was beaten by KC in a game he played well in while Darnold only shining moment was a win against Dallas? 
I just think while neither has been the answer, Baker has been better and has more upside.  I don’t doubt that he is starting in Carolina unless injured.  
We’re splitting hairs, it’s not a slam dunk

Darnold is actually the perfect long term backup.   He can come in and dump it off to CMC and possibly win a game.

He needs to take a 80% payout tho. 

He’d fit in here with the monster ground game Joe has built. 

I’d welcome him back next year at Flacco money as Zach’s long term backup. 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Trotter said:

This is probably an unfair stmt but rhule comes across as the type of guy you simply can’t trust.

I Would not be surprised if he is working back channels to land back in college.

I agree mayfield is starting barring injury. If it goes south quickly, I could see rhule bailing on these guys which would be ironic since he caused the chaos.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time we've seen a former college coach quit the NFL scene in a shady and/or cowardly manner to get back to the collegiate ranks.

Lou Holtz and Bobby Petrino are the first 2 that come to mind there.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Which non head injury affects someone’s brain?  Darnold threw the same number of ints in fewer games.  Brains are similar
Neither QB is all that good.  Both have shown to have lots of issues, it’s just that Baker has had moments, has made the playoffs, barely was beaten by KC in a game he played well in while Darnold only shining moment was a win against Dallas? 
I just think while neither has been the answer, Baker has been better and has more upside.  I don’t doubt that he is starting in Carolina unless injured.  

Do I need to use a sarcasm emoji when responding to you or did you actually think I was being serious and needed your opinion on if a a non head injury effected his brain. My point t is Baker made some throws on a level of stupid that is rarely seen in the NFL. Go watch his last game he played for Cleveland. It was possibly the game where the front office said, it is time to cut bait. Being injured and making throws that are late os one thing but throwing to players that are in no way are open is not because your throwing arm is injured. Granted, Darnold is a bad QB to but who is worse IMO is debatable.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It certainly wouldn't be the first time we've seen a former college coach quit the NFL scene in a shady and/or cowardly manner to get back to the collegiate ranks.

Lou Holtz and Bobby Petrino are the first 2 that come to mind there.  

Saban has them beat.  Said he wasn’t leaving Miami and the next week announced he was going to Alabama 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Saban has them beat.  Said he wasn’t leaving Miami and the next week announced he was going to Alabama 

True.  I only think of Holtz and Petrino ahead of Saban in the "cowardly/shady" group because Holtz didn't even last a full season, and Petrino left without even talking to his players, and instead left a note.  The Falcons' players all openly called him a coward.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

A coach killer?  Even you can't blame him for getting Gase fired.

OC count also. Putting Gase aside (who probably would’ve gotten another year if he “transformed” Darnold into a serviceable starter), Darnold has 2 OC and an HC scalp on his wall in 4 seasons. If that’s not a coach killer, what is?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even if you can't, Todd Bowles, Jeremy Bates and Joe Brady all say hello.  And Rhule may well be next.  

Jeremy Bates?  The guy was walking in the woods for five years before the Jets hired him.  I had hope for the guy, but that was nepotism city.  His career achievements included Jay Cutler and making @Fred Jetstone happy in 2005.  You forgot (the wrong) Johnny Morton from USC.  Guy was what?  Seven years removed from play calling duties? A career WR coach that Pete didn't take with him when he left USC.  A regular Mount Rushmore of coaching - right up there with Lambeau and Lombardi.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

OC count also. Putting Gase aside (who probably would’ve gotten another year if he “transformed” Darnold into a serviceable starter), Darnold has 2 OC and an HC scalp on his wall in 4 seasons. If that’s not a coach killer, what is?

3 OC.  I think only one has any potential to work in that capacity again.

24 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Do I need to use a sarcasm emoji when responding to you or did you actually think I was being serious and needed your opinion on if a a non head injury effected his brain. My point t is Baker made some throws on a level of stupid that is rarely seen in the NFL. Go watch his last game he played for Cleveland. It was possibly the game where the front office said, it is time to cut bait. Being injured and making throws that are late os one thing but throwing to players that are in no way are open is not because your throwing arm is injured. Granted, Darnold is a bad QB to but who is worse IMO is debatable.  

I have no idea why you get so pissed over a simple response.  Given the complaint about Baker is mistake prone your brain remark didn’t sound sarcastic in any way.  I responded and you’re defensive? 
I said they both are similar but Baker has upside.  They threw the same # of INTs, Darnold in fewer games.  That’s it.  

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

True.  I only think of Holtz and Petrino ahead of Saban in the "cowardly/shady" group because Holtz didn't even last a full season, and Petrino left without even talking to his players, and instead left a note.  The Falcons' players all openly called him a coward.  

Yeah, I was t thinking about Holtz running out in his first season.  Or Patrinos note. Good call

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I have no idea why you get so pissed over a simple response.  Given the complaint about Baker is mistake prone your brain remark didn’t sound sarcastic in any way.  I responded and you’re defensive? 
I said they both are similar but Baker has upside.  They threw the same # of INTs, Darnold in fewer games.  That’s it.  

Ok, so you think I'm a dumb ass who thinks an injury to your arm can effect your brain and needed you to explain that this can't  happen. Is this what you are trying to say here?