Jets sign Kwon Alexander

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

This makes the signing even better.  I believe that is vet minimum for someone with as many years experience as Aexander has.

I guess this is why we didn’t hear any numbers announced. 

14 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

In all seriousness, the Alexander signing tells me the Sherwood and Nasirildeen era will quietly be allowed to die as they're relegated to Specials and bench depth until their unceremonious release. 

As it should. It’s not just that they’re trying to make the SS-LB conversion, it’s also that they’re both fairly unathletic, even for safeties. Weird picks and a poorly conceived plan. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I wouldn’t be so sure of that (re: Kwon leaving after this year).  If he stays healthy and plays well, he’s young enough where he could parlay a good season into another 1-2 year deal.

CJ is probably gone though, if I had to guess.

Perhaps another Comp Pick in the future if JD lets him walk?

13 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Why did we only give him a one-year deal? I find that a little bit disturbing.

One year is the best part of the deal for a signing like this. I'm not sure what's not to like about that?

JD gives his "big" signing a 2 year deal. His blockbuster signings i.e. Lawson, Whitehead only get 3 year deals. That's his M.O. and I think it's great. You get role players that may or may not be hungry working for their next pay day on a 1 year deal. Potential starters get 3 - Kick ass and we'll talk about another 2-3 and if you disappoint you're easily gone or, at a minimum, won't hurt us for very long. 

The opposite of this philosophy results in the albatross that has been CJ Mosley over the past 4 seasons. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, slats said:

Personally, I think it would be a mistake to extend Fant. If Becton has a bounce back year, I’d move him back to the left side and either promote Mitchell or (perhaps preferably) bring in a veteran free agent. They have Herbig working at backup center, that might be something to watch for next season, too. 

I don’t know how much of an effect that will have. Hard to see Douglas taking a LB in the first. His highest non-premium position picks were Hall in the second this year (with his fourth selection) and Davis in the third his first year. Otherwise it’s been all premium positions in the first two rounds: OL, WR, QB, CB, Edge. I guess they could do it if they see the guy as a playmaker, or the hole as one that needs to be filled, but it would be a shift in philosophy. 

Disagree with your Fant opinion and the second paragraph I believe JDs picks on premium players had more to do with the absolute lack of talent in said positions. Now that JD has addressed those areas he might more inclined to go with other non premium areas that really haven’t been adequately addressed through the draft which at this point is not a terrible position to be in considering to where the Jets were talent / salary cap wise before he got here 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, slats said:

Personally, I think it would be a mistake to extend Fant. If Becton has a bounce back year, I’d move him back to the left side and either promote Mitchell or (perhaps preferably) bring in a veteran free agent. They have Herbig working at backup center, that might be something to watch for next season, too.  

I agree with you on Fant.  Feels like buying at the top of the market based on his good season last year...

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Drums said:

Thats cheap. So much for all those other “teams” dying to sign him. Glad our GM doesn’t bitch out in negotiations. He knows what he’s doing. 

One of his best qualities.  This is the really important stuff our GM is doing consistently.  Set a great precedent around the league about how we operate.

• Upvote 2

On 7/29/2022 at 12:25 AM, FidelioJet said:

The Jets are now a complete team.  There are no obvious holes any longer.

Obviously they can still get better, but we haven't seen a complete roster in quite a while.  While they don't have any proven "impact" players yet - this is a huge step in the right direction.

Joe Douglas has done a nice job cleaning up Mac's mess and putting together an NFL caliber roster.

Kicker. Everyone pooh poohs it but this team needs someone who is automatic inside of 40 for the brand of football they appear to be gearing up to play.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Jethead said:

It's not a lock he makes the team. 

That's to say you have some question in your mind on whether he can beat out the 2nd year safety converts?

Or are you thinking something else like injury history? 

On 7/28/2022 at 8:32 PM, Greenbloodblitz said:

Why did we only give him a one-year deal? I find that a little bit disturbing.

I think it was a smart signing and typical JD.  Provided depth at a position of need with a cheap questionable player who hasn’t proved he can stay on the field consistently enough to throw a multiyear deal at but has upside. Throwing a w year deal at him would be expected out of a GM like Macc, a panic move.  
Let him prove he can stay healthy and play well, then reward him, not the other way around

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 4:50 PM, Untouchable said:

Made too much sense not to eventually happen.

You can’t rely on a kid like Sherwood or Hamsah as your 3rd LB and someone who will probably play at least 30% of the defensive snaps.

At this point you aren't going to find any 3 down LBs, it's going to be guys who are situational run or passing downs. Used correctly these kinds signings can be more impactful than you think.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, derp said:

I think the plan was take two mid-late day three picks at a position that’s devalued across the league, effectively have them as backups in base (nickel), know they’ll play on special teams, and see if they can develop into rotational players over the life of their deal. Much better than a first rounder on Darron Lee.

They’ll be useful on specials during their rookie contracts. Think expectations got out of whack because a) fans view third linebackers as starters when they’re really subpackage guys and b) Davis getting hurt thrust them into more play time. These were always medium floor (useful special teams) low-medium ceiling (non premium position starter) picks - which is fine in the fifth or sixth round.

Alexander signing strikes me as more opportunistic ie Morgan Moses than an actual need. Third linebacker isn’t on the field a lot, but I suppose it’s good to be better when he is and depth is nice.

Agreed that they can be useful special teams players, but they’re both 4.7+/40 with 7+ three cones, which is obviously terrible and makes you wonder what their ceiling is, even as depth pieces. I think Sherwood was the opening day starter last year at LB(?). I’d imagine that Saleh was hoping to find a Dre Greenlaw or Azeez Al-Shaair there, but those types are markedly more athletic than either Sherwood or Nas. IMO, I think Saleh just liked that they were hard-nosed tough guys and burned draft picks on the, because he liked the cut of their jib, despite the glaring athletic shortcomings.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed that they can be useful special teams players, but they’re both 4.7+/40 with 7+ three cones, which is obviously terrible and makes you wonder what their ceiling is, even as depth pieces. I think Sherwood was the opening day starter last year at LB(?). I’d imagine that Saleh was hoping to find a Dre Greenlaw or Azeez Al-Shaair there, but those types are markedly more athletic than either Sherwood or Nas. IMO, I think Saleh just liked that they were hard-nosed tough guys and burned draft picks on the, because he liked the cut of their jib, despite the glaring athletic shortcomings.

Greenlaw was also a 4.7+ 40 guy with a 7+ three cone and Al-Shaair didn’t run. I think both play fast and they tried to call into the same thing.

Day three you take the good athletes who need to learn how to play or the good college players with suboptimal measurables to see if instincts can overcome. Sherwood (I believe he was Mosley’s backup and filled in when he was hurt, not a day one starter) and Nasirildeen (day one third linebacker who quickly lost that role) both fell into the latter category. 

Linebacker and safety I think are two spots where instincts > measurables and that’s why they’ve been tough to draft early, first round linebacker track record has been gross.

I mean, the Ravens have been pretty universally praised for drafting 4.7 good college player Kyle Hamilton at 14. Mostly because they’re the Ravens, but still it’s not that.

They’re semi questionable picks for sure, but again in that area of the draft it’s fine. This isn’t Rex Ryan pushing for Calvin Pryor to run a defense from the 80’s or Todd Bowles needing a tiny linebacker to replace a converted safety and having Maccagnan draft Darron Lee. If they want to **** around (and do it with a similar profile to a guy like Greenlaw) guys who can play specials in the fifth or sixth round is fine by me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PorP said:

That's to say you have some question in your mind on whether he can beat out the 2nd year safety converts?

Or are you thinking something else like injury history? 

Price not so high they can't let the best player win. I expect he'll make the team. One of Saleh's boys 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, derp said:

Greenlaw was also a 4.7+ 40 guy with a 7+ three cone and Al-Shaair didn’t run. I think both play fast and they tried to call into the same thing.

Day three you take the good athletes who need to learn how to play or the good college players with suboptimal measurables to see if instincts can overcome. Sherwood (I believe he was Mosley’s backup and filled in when he was hurt, not a day one starter) and Nasirildeen (day one third linebacker who quickly lost that role) both fell into the latter category. 

Linebacker and safety I think are two spots where instincts > measurables and that’s why they’ve been tough to draft early, first round linebacker track record has been gross.

I mean, the Ravens have been pretty universally praised for drafting 4.7 good college player Kyle Hamilton at 14. Mostly because they’re the Ravens, but still it’s not that.

They’re semi questionable picks for sure, but again in that area of the draft it’s fine. This isn’t Rex Ryan pushing for Calvin Pryor to run a defense from the 80’s or Todd Bowles needing a tiny linebacker to replace a converted safety and having Maccagnan draft Darron Lee. If they want to **** around (and do it with a similar profile to a guy like Greenlaw) guys who can play specials in the fifth or sixth round is fine by me.

Ah. I was using Mockdraftable and they didn’t have a 40 for Greenlaw, but I presumed it was 4.5-ish based on what San Fran usually drafts. I googled it an official time and, apparently, Greenlaw used the old hamstring excuse, so who knows. I am of the belief that Saleh wasn’t looking to them simply as depth pieces, but instead had a higher purpose in mind for both of them, and if that was the case, there were better athletes on the board he could have chosen from. Not a big deal, obviously, because they were relatively late picks.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Ah. I was using Mockdraftable and they didn’t have a 40 for Greenlaw, but I presumed it was 4.5-ish based on what San Fran usually drafts. I googled it an official time and, apparently, Greenlaw used the old hamstring excuse, so who knows. I am of the belief that Saleh wasn’t looking to them simply as depth pieces, but instead had a higher purpose in mind for both of them, and if that was the case, there were better athletes on the board he could have chosen from. Not a big deal, obviously, because they were relatively late picks.

Yup saw that from Greenlaw, again who knows. Sherwood had the “I don’t care about my 40” quote too. I think if it’s hamstring alone I might buy it but hamstrung + don’t care about my 40…eh. Who knows though.

Both guys probably faster on the field than they ran which I think is the point.

And I do think he had a higher goal but again, if the ceiling is a starting off ball LB that’s not tremendously meaningful anyway. Choosing good tacklers with football instincts who will at least play specials is a way to balance that lack of upside. Not a Jachai Polite on the field on defense or useless. Mims on offense too.

Regardless it’s the fifth or sixth round and I’m not going to quibble about instincts without tools or tools without instincts. Low risk dice roll and hopefully they learn from it.

Stuff like the Cam Clark pick where you’re changing a guy to a non premium position in the fourth - better be sure that guy’s going to start - bothered me more among day three moves.

• Like 1