Cardinals remove “Independent Study” clause from Kyler Murray’s contract

One more thing.... I just saw this quote on the Cardinals forum.  The fans there are squirming hard but this quote... (from ArizonaSports.com)

“I think I was blessed with the cognitive skills to just go out there and just see it before it happens,” Murray told

the New York Times in 2021. “I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film.

I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because,

in my head, I see so much.”

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

One more thing.... I just saw this quote on the Cardinals forum.  The fans there are squirming hard but this quote... (from ArizonaSports.com)

“I think I was blessed with the cognitive skills to just go out there and just see it before it happens,” Murray told

the New York Times in 2021. “I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film.

I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because,

calculating the hangover GIF

• Sympathy 1

It really is to late he has been exposed in an unfortunate way.  We all cant collectively unsee what we have seen about this young man.  

I say Good Luck ? to him but I am afraid what is going to happen is the NFL will catch up to him because now they know that he is at his core just freelancing and unless you are Farve you rarely win it all. 

Some laughed at me when I said that I wouldn't want Kyler Murray if you gave him to the Jets. While I'm not delusional enough to think that he doesn't have elite talent with a Mt. Everest type ceiling, I also know how this will eventually play out. Don't be surprised when Kyler Murray is shirtless in the endzone doing jumping jacks when he gets pulled from a game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Some laughed at me when I said that I wouldn't want Kyler Murray if you gave him to the Jets. While I'm not delusional enough to think that he doesn't have elite talent with a Mt. Everest type ceiling, I also know how this will eventually play out. Don't be surprised when Kyler Murray is shirtless in the endzone doing jumping jacks when he gets pulled from a game. 

We have seen it many times over the years in all sports, but it is particularly true for football players. Having elite talent doesn’t automatically make you a good player. Not at the NFL level at least.
  • Upvote 1

As a fan, this quote would be very worrisome - all the greats seem to be football junkies (maybe I'm wrong)    It also  seems he's putting this methodology into practice and it worries Arizona management.   

9 hours ago, nycdan said:

• Upvote 1

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/LongFormArticle/Kyler-Murray-wonderlic-score-media-reaction-131425327/

Media reacts to Kyler Murray's poor Wonderlic score

ByJOEY HELMER Apr 23, 2019

NORMAN, Okla. — While Kyler Murray has been rumored to be the Arizona Cardinals' likely pick at No. 1 overall until a report over the weekend, there has still been plenty of skepticism about the former Sooner signal caller. People have called out his size, one his supposed poor leadership and study habits, and now the latest bit of criticism deals with his subpar Wonderlic test score.

11 hours ago, nycdan said:

Wow...talk about folding your hand, dropping your pants and bending over.  ARI is looking like a hot mess for this.  And if, as I suspect, Murray continues to be good but not good enough, this is a 3-4 year death sentence for that franchise.

You pay Mahomes, Rodgers, Russ that kind of guaranteed money.  Because you know they can get you there.  If you have to gamble on a younger QB, you gamble on Allen, Herbert, maybe Burrow if he does it again this year.  But Murray is a tier 2 QB earning tier 1 money. 

And now this?  The media laughs, the QB whines, and they just pull the clause?  Ugh.

Agree with tier 2 quality.

He's good - his game has holes that study and film would most likely help - and he is so damn small.

Hate Brady but respect Brady and he must read stuff like this and just shake his head. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

Can't help but get the vibe that Kliff & Kyler don't work out in Arizona

Maybe not, but it's been a worthwhile experiment all the same.  Guys like Bruce Arians and Kurt Warner weren't walking through that door any time soon.

For all the attention this idiocy is getting, I imagine it'll be mostly forgotten when the games are getting played, provided AZ doesn't open the season 0-3 or something.  

Kyler Murray's lack of preparation will likely contribute to capping his ceiling a good bit, but the idea that he's going to be a total flop or failure is a bit of an overreaction.  

13 hours ago, nycdan said:

Wow...talk about folding your hand, dropping your pants and bending over.  ARI is looking like a hot mess for this.  And if, as I suspect, Murray continues to be good but not good enough, this is a 3-4 year death sentence for that franchise.

You pay Mahomes, Rodgers, Russ that kind of guaranteed money.  Because you know they can get you there.  If you have to gamble on a younger QB, you gamble on Allen, Herbert, maybe Burrow if he does it again this year.  But Murray is a tier 2 QB earning tier 1 money. 

And now this?  The media laughs, the QB whines, and they just pull the clause?  Ugh.

*Top of tier 1 money

7 minutes ago, Drums said:

Even if this goes away, the second he struggles it will come back. He’s lucky he doesn’t play in NY

After the QB drought this team has experienced, he'd already be a god here with his career to date. People get upset when you criticize the current QB... imagine how spirited the defense of Murray would be.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, jgb said:

After the QB drought this team has experienced, he'd already be a god here with his career to date. People get upset when you criticize the current QB... imagine how spirited the defense of Murray would be.

terrell owens images GIF

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Zona no longer needs the clause. They made their point and gave themselves an "out" to push all the blame onto their QB if he fails.

I don’t know. Seems like they managed to publicly humiliate the player, maybe alienated him a bit in the process, and now gave up a provision that might’ve protected them if he falters. I mean, if that clause was so important to put in there in the first place, why remove it? If it was just for future finger-pointing, it seems pretty circus-like to me. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t know. Seems like they managed to publicly humiliate the player, maybe alienated him a bit in the process, and now gave up a provision that might’ve protected them if he falters. I mean, if that clause was so important to put in there in the first place, why remove it? If it was just for future finger-pointing, it seems pretty circus-like to me. 

There is no limit to the public humiliation I would happily endure for $160M guaranteed.

However, your point is a good one, I don't think their plan was just to give them an out, I think they reacted to the backlash and it was easy to do so since they already made whatever -- perhaps misguided -- point they wanted to make.

• Upvote 1