Moonage Daydream

13 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Top 5 Bowie songs?

This should be interesting. 

sh*t, is that even possible?   The dude has like the largest library of music ever and for me, he's probably top 3 favorite artist of all time so  5 is definitely a challenge.  First song at my wedding was "Lets Dance".  lol   Like, I'm not sure anyone has produced better back to back albums that were as good as Honky Dory and Ziggy Stardust.  They are brilliant, cover to cover, some the of the greatest songs ever written. 

I'll give this a swing but this definitely changes w/ mood, time and situations but, here is my attempt, the first might be obvious mainstream picks but there is a reason they are classics:

Is Under Pressure allowed?  It might be the greatest song ever written.   lol

Ziggy Stardust - the way the guitars is attacked in that song, with the lyrics and the story.  It's just an unreal song, one of my favorites to play on the guitar as well.  It's start on a fun melodic beautiful strum and then goes into a just straight rock n roll jam when he starts "So where were the spiders!".   

Heroes - the first time I heard Heroes, I remember being like, what is this, it unreal good and so different.  I can listen to this beat for an entire day, and then he drops some of the most powerful lyrics ever written.

Changes - the song that made me fall in love w/ Bowie.  Lyrically?  Does it get better?  That piano w/ the violin in that song is just gorgeous. 

Sound and Vision - it just makes me happy, instantly.  Bad mode?  Put on Sound and Vision, insta happy.  Every instrument in that song sounds so good. 

Rebel Rebel - again, that guitar intro.  The groove to that song, just ridiculous.  

Honorable mentions:

Moonage Daydream

Life on Mars

Suffragette City

All the Young Dudes

Fame

TVC15

Starman

Wow, that was impossible and I hate it.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Top 5 Bowie songs?
This should be interesting. 

Had to think really hard not to have all 5 be from Ziggy Stardust (always in the discussion of my top albums of all time) but here goes, in no particular order:

Soul Love

Starman

Rebel Rebel

Young Americans

Changes

Special mention for Under Pressure, his collaboration with Freddie Mercury, but it doesn’t make the list since it’s not just a Bowie song.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Lith said:

Had to think really hard not to have all 5 be from Ziggy Stardust (always in the discussion of my top albums of all time) but here goes, in no particular order:

Soul Love

Starman

Rebel Rebel

Young Americans

Changes

Special mention for Under Pressure, his collaboration with Freddie Mercury, but it doesn’t make the list since it’s not just a Bowie song.

Seriously, like I said, Hunky Dory to Ziggy Stardust, there isnt a single track that isnt an all time great song.

Like it's so incredibly hard to leave songs like; Oh You Pretty Things, Queen Bitch, 5 years, Rock N Suicide like how can you not be moved when he starts screaming, you're not alone!  Dude was in the zone there for a few years, everything he wrote was just brilliant.

38 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

@JiFapono you totally nailed it that his top 5-100 changes with mood. 

Currently my top 5 has to be:

Ziggy

Queen Bitch

Rock n Roll Suicide

Sound and Vision (probably my favorite) 

Life on Mars 

It 100% changes, there was a time in my life when I was grieving a lot, saying goodbye to people forever and it like didnt stop for a while and it just sucked.  At that time, Seven, was the greatest song ever written.  

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I'm really surprised Space Oddity isn't on anyone's list.  It's definitely on mine.

Space Oddity, Changes, Starman, Ziggy Stardust, [TBD]

That's why this is impossible!  Such an incredible song.  lol

There are no right answers obviously but I feel like I havent mentioned like 10 songs that I could all consider my favorite at any time.  lol

46 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Top of my head with no order, or serious thought, in mind:

Rebel Rebel

The Jean Genie

The Man Who Sold the World

Life on Mars

Five Years

Honorable mention:

All the Young Dudes

Heroes

Great list, love those 2 tunes that havent been mentioned.  

• Sympathy 1