If this was Becton, this forum would be on fire

18 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

This is really unfair. Becton did gain weight after his injury but he played well at his weight of about 360 as a rookie so I wouldn't  say there was a concern about conditioning back then and Fant has also missed a few games as Becton did as a rookie. As far as last season, the guy had a knee injury and couldn't  workout or run. Becton not naturally being able to keep his weight down in this case isn't his fault in terms of he couldn't  do the things he did to control it. I'm sure someone is going to say all he did was play video games and eat Haggen Daz but I am giving him a pass on getting out of shape. Right now everyone is happy with his weight and his conditioning will come later. 

image.png.f312dc67032696f3a38ed5602c465b1d.png

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

17 hours ago, PorP said:

I've also passed the parenting 101 20 sum years ago that says if my kid screwed up. I saw correction,  I don't keep rubbing it in thier face just cause...

Not that I am Becton's parent..... it's just also happens to be the 101 for treating people decent. 

Since when is people discussing a subject on a message board about a person who is not a participant of said discussion "rubbing their face in it"? People can discuss the strengths and weaknesses of players. It isn't rude or inappropriate. Again, since when is having an honest discussion about a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE'S weight "not treating someone decent"? No one is going up to him and "bullying" him into tears. We are having a discussion about a professional at work not some random person on the street that we just had to go up to and torment due to their appearance.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Since when is people discussing a subject on a message board about a person who is not a participant of said discussion "rubbing their face in it"? People can discuss the strengths and weaknesses of players. It isn't rude or inappropriate. Again, since when is having an honest discussion about a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE'S weight "not treating someone decent"? No one is going up to him and "bullying" him into tears. We are having a discussion about a professional at work not some random person on the street that we just had to go up to and torment due to their appearance.  

Ok,  so that I'm clear on the rules of engagement. 

Is perfectly OK to say it behind his back.  It's only wrong to bully him on Twitter to the point he wears a big bust tshirt?

On 7/29/2022 at 5:15 PM, Jet Nut said:

One season after 4 nothing seasons.  
But out 11th overall pick should be traded after 1 season and 1 season out

But it’s a apples to apples treatment of the two by fans who need something to moan about

One great season by an undrafted FA with little expectation to last 1 year stepped in for our starting LT Becton and did more than Becton ever did.   You dump on Fant while defending Becton constantly.  Fant has earned a roster spot ever year since he walked on in Seattle.  He’s earned a little respect.  

Becton shouldn’t be traded unless we get a 1 back in return unless the staff thinks there’s a real problem and want to move on.

Becton, unlike Fant hasn’t been a HUGE disappointment.  He’s been a nice surprise.  

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

One great season by an undrafted FA with little expectation to last 1 year stepped in for our starting LT Becton and did more than Becton ever did.   You dump on Fant while defending Becton constantly.  Fant has earned a roster spot ever year since he walked on in Seattle.  He’s earned a little respect.  

Becton shouldn’t be traded unless we get a 1 back in return unless the staff thinks there’s a real problem and want to move on.

Becton, unlike Fant hasn’t been a HUGE disappointment.  He’s been a nice surprise.  

How has Becton been a huge disappointment? Because he didn't  get out of the way of GVR being tossed to the ground and rolling into his legs? Because the Jets misjudged his recovery? Because he was immobile  during his recovery and put on weight and lost his conditioning? It was the first time he had an injury like this and being immature  cost him. I think he has shown a lot of resolve since then and had what most would agree was a more than satisfactory rookie season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

How has Becton been a huge disappointment? Because he didn't  get out of the way of GVR being tossed to the ground and rolling into his legs? Because the Jets misjudged his recovery? Because he was immobile  during his recovery and put on weight and lost his conditioning? It was the first time he had an injury like this and being immature  cost him. I think he has shown a lot of resolve since then and had what most would agree was a more than satisfactory rookie season. 

Satisfactory rookie season.   Well said.    Not as good as Marving Powell or D Brick the other two first round LT we took both of whom had very good sophomore seasons. Powell was an all pro left tackle in year 3.  Lets see what Becton does in year 3.  Hope he's great because of he's okay or just satisfactory it's not a great use of a draft pick considering their were 3 picks in the same round after him that went top 22 that made the pro bowl including a RT and 2 WR all positions of need. .

On 7/29/2022 at 9:39 AM, More Cowbell said:

As far as I know, Becton never showed up out of shape. Is his conditioning not where it needs to be? Yes but how is that not expected?

A professional athlete has to find a way to be in shape. In regular circumstances, weight is determined 80% by what you put in your mouth and 20% by physical activity. It appears that Becton may have screwed up with the 80% as well as the 20%. The difference is that the other players you speak of, make it a point to be on the field.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Satisfactory rookie season.   Well said.    Not as good as Marving Powell or D Brick the other two first round LT we took both of whom had very good sophomore seasons. Powell was an all pro left tackle in year 3.  Lets see what Becton does in year 3.  Hope he's great because of he's okay or just satisfactory it's not a great use of a draft pick considering their were 3 picks in the same round after him that went top 22 that made the pro bowl including a RT and 2 WR all positions of need. .

I think the guy came to camp in great shape. His rookie season was above average.  He literally  was blowing defenders up. How that disappointed  you is curious.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

A professional athlete has to find a way to be in shape. In regular circumstances, weight is determined 80% by what you put in your mouth and 20% by physical activity. It appears that Becton may have screwed up with the 80% as well as the 20%. The difference is that the other players you speak of, make it a point to be on the field.

This literally makes no sense. Becton played well at his weight as a rookie. He came to camp this season in great shape and yesterday, nobody reported he looked gassed so conditioning  seems to be there.  He got hurt and got out of shape. I don't dispute that but that is over. I think he is committed  to playing football now. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, PorP said:

Ok,  so that I'm clear on the rules of engagement. 

Is perfectly OK to say it behind his back.  It's only wrong to bully him on Twitter to the point he wears a big bust tshirt?

Well, just so we're clear. Stating that I'm saying this "behind his back" implies I have an actual relationship with MB (his bff for instance), and that while in person I support him I'm secretly trashing him to others when he's not around. Meanwhile in reality I don't know him, and I'm critiquing him as a professional in the public eye on a message board based on his profession. Doing so is not wrong or mean regardless of your baseless interpretation of such. Moving forward to another asinine comment of yours about "bullying him on twitter to the point he wears a shirt" this isn't twitter, and I'm not sending his social account harassing notes about his appearance. Public discourse means that sometimes not everyone wins a platinum trophy, and virtue signalers contribute to nothing except their own vanity. Meanwhile instead of being a utter pussy about what people, who don't matter, on the internet think as you might... MB is taking their constructive criticism of him, and using it as motivation based on the big bust shirt he is wearing. It sounds like his critics are fueling his motivation whereas you're just gassing up yourself by trying to sit in a moral highchair. Do you need me to clear anything else up, or are we straight now?

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Well, just so we're clear. Stating that I'm saying this "behind his back" implies I have an actual relationship with MB (his bff for instance), and that while in person I support him I'm secretly trashing him to others when he's not around. Meanwhile in reality I don't know him, and I'm critiquing him as a professional in the public eye on a message board based on his profession. Doing so is not wrong or mean regardless of your baseless interpretation of such. Moving forward to another asinine comment of yours about "bullying him on twitter to the point he wears a shirt" this isn't twitter, and I'm not sending his social account harassing notes about his appearance. Public discourse means that sometimes not everyone wins a platinum trophy, and virtue signalers contribute to nothing except their own vanity. Meanwhile instead of being a utter pussy about what people, who don't matter, on the internet think as you might... MB is taking their constructive criticism of him, and using it as motivation based on the big bust shirt he is wearing. It sounds like his critics are fueling his motivation whereas you're just gassing up yourself by trying to sit in a moral highchair. Do you need me to clear anything else up, or are we straight now?

That thesis clears it up.

My first read was correct.  Have a great day

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

This literally makes no sense. Becton played well at his weight as a rookie. He came to camp this season in great shape and yesterday, nobody reported he looked gassed so conditioning  seems to be there.  He got hurt and got out of shape. I don't dispute that but that is over. I think he is committed  to playing football now. 

We disagree. However I hope that you are right. I do not think that he is committed to football.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

We disagree. However I hope that you are right. I do not think that he is committed to football.

So you don't think losing the weight and coming into camp in shape isn't  a commitment  to the Jets?

Boy, I'm not sure what will ever please you if that doesn't.  

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

So you don't think losing the weight and coming into camp in shape isn't  a commitment  to the Jets?

Boy, I'm not sure what will ever please you if that doesn't.  

Losing weight??? He gained a ton while out injured. A 6 week injury took him him out for the season. Most likely because of weight, who are you talking about?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Losing weight??? He gained a ton while out injured. A 6 week injury took him him out for the season. Most likely because of weight, who ate you talking about?

Yes, and he lost the weight and came to camp in great shape. That doesn't  show commitment?

26 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yes, and he lost the weight and came to camp in great shape. That doesn't  show commitment?

He should have been in shape way before camp. That shows commitment because by now he would be way ahead. Missing a whole season instead of 6 weeks because he ate himself into oblivion is NOT commitment. He was out of shape last camp so badly that Lawson was beating him like a drum and the coaches complained about a few issues. We are certainly talking about 2 different peoplw.

39 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

He should have been in shape way before camp. That shows commitment because by now he would be way ahead. Missing a whole season instead of 6 weeks because he ate himself into oblivion is NOT commitment. He was out of shape last camp so badly that Lawson was beating him like a drum and the coaches complained about a few issues. We are certainly talking about 2 different peoplw.

I read the same things you did about the Lawson matchup but it wasn't attributed to him being out of shape, he was just getting beat. It happens, and it was during camp which IMO, what happens in camp is next to meaningless otherwise Zach would have gone to the pro-bowl

Nothing is going to please you. You just want to hate on the guy. He is a young guy with maturity  issues, there is no disputing  that but I believe he learned a lesson here. He worked hard to be in great shape for the start of this season and that to me shows commitment.  If it doesn't  to you, that is your prerogative. He isn't perfect, he is learning and everyone should want him to workout. What happened last season is in the past to me and has no bearing on this one.