Training Camp Tweets - (Previous Days Merged)

11 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Let's not call people or posts "dumb".  It drags down the discourse.

Regarding training to "peak when it counts", I would argue that today "counts", an NFL Training Camp "counts."  A professional athlete's body and abilities are his product.  An out of shape athlete is like a hungover surgeon or a lawyer who didn't read the necessary briefs.  Irresponsibility leading to poor performance that effects other people.

Our FQB had players in his face all day because the athlete paid to protect him isn't in shape.  Spare me the "well it's good for Zach to get that experience" - Becton is not doing his job well due to lack of commitment and laziness. 

I'm not even that mad about it, more disappointed and resigned to it, but I don't understand anyone arguing that this is just fine.

I've killed Becton for his weight.  I also realize he has an  eating disorder and is very immature.  That said every year in TC there are going to be lots of season ending injury to guys who push themselves year round to be in peak shape year round.  Carl Lawson beat him like a drum last year and guess what Lawson didn't make it onto the field along with lots of other amazingly conditioned athletes who pushed themselves before it counted.

Becton is one of the guys on this team that can make a huge difference in the future of this team.  He doesn't have to be in peak condition year round.  He has to learn how to eat and learn how to get into peak condition for the season.  NFL training camps are all about getting ready for the season.  Becton isn't competing for a job.  He's only job is to be ready for the season opener and know the playbook.  

Becton isn't an on the bubble player who has to make an impression in TC.  He earned his spot the day Douglas drafted him. 

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

I mean, I’m glad Becton came back at an appropriate weight, but I just don’t see a path to being a successful offensive lineman when you are this insecure.

I’ve made plenty of jokes re: Becton, but this… oh boy.  This is bad.

So he wants praise for making it through the 2nd practice of the offseason?  Yikes.  

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Carl Lawson came into camp in unbelievable shape last year.  He beat Becton like a drum.  He looked like an adonis.  He didn't get out of TC.  

He sure did beat Becton like a drum.  We agree.  We also agree Lawson commits to being in unbelievable shape.  So Lawson will not be the one needed to take snaps off and needing to catch his breath.  Yes I know one is a much bigger man but the point is an athlete should take his conditioning and fitness much more serious if he wants to make it in this league.  I do not doubt Lawson's commitment.  Jury is still out on Becton.  That is all.  I just thought your post of calling the OP dumb was a bit much since it is always better for an athlete to stay in shape.  

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Derek Carr just got into a fight with a reporter. It will effect his play on the field zero percent.  

Becton has issues,  this exchange is not one of them.

Derek Carr has only missed 3 games his entire 8-year career, and is a 3x Pro Bowler who is about to have a career year.

He's earned that privilege.

@Raideraholic

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 3

56 minutes ago, Biggs said:

This is an amazingly dumb post.  They aren't paid millions to be in shape for living.   Players on their rookie contract were paid based on their potential to play pro football.  Second contracts are giving to players who perform in games.  Huge second contracts are giving to players who's performance is excellent in games. 

Many athletes don't train year round.  They train to peak when it counts.   

Downton Abbey Yes GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

Correct, they aren't paid to be in shape as they aren't models. They are however paid to be in shape all year because they're profession, professional athlete, demands such. Is that to say a guy should be balls to the wall every day 365, and burning out early? Of course not as that isn't good either, but a healthy lifestyle is part of the elite athlete's life for a reason. They need time to unwind, relax, and heal up of course; but they shouldn't be letting themselves go to sh*t in the off season. Particularly big guys like MB. It's the difference between players who become great, and players who's behavior leads to their early exit, or long term mediocrity in the league. Hopefully it's just some initial conditioning issues which is reasonable in the beginning; particularly for big guys.  

12 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Becton actually had a better season than Lawson last year. 

LOL.  Sure if that is your argument OK.  Lawson's commitment to being a healthy in shape pro athlete has never been a question.  Look man I hope Becton & Lawson both have pro bowl seasons.  I still have my doubts about Becton's commitment.  I do not doubt Lawson's at all.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Granted, he doesn’t have the fear of getting cracked in his ribs on this rep, but we dropped SO many intermediate difficulty catches over the last 5 years it’s nauseating. 

Can’t teach body control like that.

Man I realize that any player can bust, but watching Garrett it is hard to imagine him not being elite. He must have close to Magatron's catch radius with his leaping catching ability

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Man I realize that any player can bust, but watching Garrett it is hard to imagine him not being elite. He must have close to Magatron's catch radius with his leaping catching ability

An absolute monster.  Which is why it was crazy that people wanted guys like tyreke hill, AJ Brown, Deebo etc.  WRs are a dime a dozen nowadays.  This kid is going to be great for us. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I've killed Becton for his weight.  I also realize he has an  eating disorder and is very immature.  That said every year in TC there are going to be lots of season ending injury to guys who push themselves year round to be in peak shape year round.  Carl Lawson beat him like a drum last year and guess what Lawson didn't make it onto the field along with lots of other amazingly conditioned athletes who pushed themselves before it counted.

Becton is one of the guys on this team that can make a huge difference in the future of this team.  He doesn't have to be in peak condition year round.  He has to learn how to eat and learn how to get into peak condition for the season.  NFL training camps are all about getting ready for the season.  Becton isn't competing for a job.  He's only job is to be ready for the season opener and know the playbook.  

Becton isn't an on the bubble player who has to make an impression in TC.  He earned his spot the day Douglas drafted him. 

Pre-season starts in 2 weeks.  He'll be protecting Zach in limited reps in that game or the next.  No way he'll be in top shape by then; increasing the chance of poor performance which then increases the chance of an injury to our FQB.  Unlikely but still not ok.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Super excited about his future. This year I'd like to see him stay healthy through training camp to the start of the season (and throughout, duh)-- which seemed to be a MAJOR setback for Elijah. 

38 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Derek Carr just got into a fight with a reporter. It will effect his play on the field zero percent.  

Becton has issues,  this exchange is not one of them.

I think we’re just going to have to disagree that seeking out and then whining about factual reporting of your performance, and wanting praise for trying, is fine and not indicative of a mentality that isn’t going to be helpful for a guy who does repetitive one-on-one pushing contests for a living.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Downton Abbey Yes GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

Correct, they aren't paid to be in shape as they aren't models. They are however paid to be in shape all year because they're profession, professional athlete, demands such. Is that to say a guy should be balls to the wall every day 365, and burning out early? Of course not as that isn't good either, but a healthy lifestyle is part of the elite athlete's life for a reason. They need time to unwind, relax, and heal up of course; but they shouldn't be letting themselves go to sh*t in the off season. Particularly big guys like MB. It's the difference between players who become great, and players who's behavior leads to their early exit, or long term mediocrity in the league. Hopefully it's just some initial conditioning issues which is reasonable in the beginning; particularly for big guys.  

The average NFL carreer is extremely short.  It's the result of large in shape guys having high speed collissions coupled with a premium on getting back on the field as quickly as possible.   By the time an NFL player gets into the NFL they have had 6 to 10 years of high speed collisions in high school and college.  

Luck has as much to do with longevity as conditioning.  

The average life span of an NFL player is about 4 years.  

Running backs under 3 years

Wide recievers under 3 years

Cornerbacks under 3 years

QB's just under 5 years

These positional players are usually in great cardio shape and train very hard.  The ones that last are lucky and genitically gifted.  There is no amount of being in shape that protects you from high speed collisions with guys who are basically solid muscle. 

There is practically no correlation between year round conditioning and longevity as an NFL player.  

Personally I work out everyday.  My goal is to be standing upright when my heart finally stops. 

10 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Pre-season starts in 2 weeks.  He'll be protecting Zach in limited reps in that game or the next.  No way he'll be in top shape by then; increasing the chance of poor performance which then increases the chance of an injury to our FQB.  Unlikely but still not ok.

You don't think Becton can play for a series in 2 weeks?  I do. 

1 hour ago, bgivs21 said:

Cimini isn't the only weirdo, plenty of them here at JN. Not one word about Becton yesterday re conditioning but he comes out for a few plays and all of a sudden sky is falling. Jets fans a bunch of clowns. 

Also, it's hilarious reading replies about his play on day 2 of TC WHEN THEY'RE WEARING SHORTS AND JERSEYS and can't make much if any contact. 

The 2nd paragraph is what blows my mind. The experts here who weren’t at practice finding a new sky is falling narrative in a no pads practice on the 2nd day of training camp. 

Then you have someone saying he can’t be a good O-lineman because he’s insecure. What does his social media insecurity have to do with being good at blocking people? He was the same person 2 years ago. Except younger. And he played just fine. I don’t love Becton by any means but wow there are so many garbage takes on here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Becton actually had a better season than Lawson last year. 

People will laugh, but it's technically true.  Not by much to be fair, but still true.  

I continue to chuckle quietly how completely free of any comment or criticism from fans Lawson has been.

So far, he's been a massive waste of money, and lets be honest, he's best known as a guy who ALMOST gets sacks.  Not actually sacks guys that much...but he ALMOST gets there.

He has as much, if not more, to prove as Becton.  And he too damn well better stay healthy.

Yet no one, literally anywhere on this forum, speaks in any way about that.  Just sorta funny.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

People will laugh, but it's technically true.  Not by much to be fair, but still true.  

I continue to chuckle quietly how completely free of any comment or criticism from fans Lawson has been.

So far, he's been a massive waste of money, and lets be honest, he's best known as a guy who ALMOST gets sacks.  Not actually sacks guys that much...but he ALMOST gets there.

He has as much, if not more, to prove as Becton.  And he too damn well better stay healthy.

Yet no one, literally anywhere on this forum, speaks in any way about that.  Just sorta funny.

Actually no

It was reported that Lawson is football freak not only on field but in film room so he was helping watching films and breaking down opponents for his teammates all season for each game while Becton was ?

• Haha 1

Just now, SickJetFan said:

Actually no

It was reported that Lawson is football freak not only on field but in film room so he was helping watching films and breaking down opponents for his teammates all season for each game while Becton was ?

We didn't sign a film study tutor.

We signed a guy to get 10+ sacks and be the foundation of our pass rush.

He has a ton to prove this year.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Actually no

32nd ranked D in points and yards.  They guy should chill out a little.  Maybe play a few video games and eat an ice cream cone.