Training Camp Tweets - (Previous Days Merged)

3 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

this is why Sauce never gave up a TD in College!!!  LOL

It's probably the biggest adjustment these young DB's have to make . The stuff you can do in college gets called every time in the NFL, until you get some game cred over time. College rules are so much more lenient for the defense. College guys can basically maul the QB and don't get called .

24 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Cager seems to have turned the corner.  Ironic that we go out and sign two FA TEs, draft a third, and now Cager is pouring it on.  Can we move him back to WR maybe?

Maybe he'll be used like young Gronk? I get that there are other guys ahead of him. But sort of position-less TE/WR

5 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

With Conklin,      Uzomah, and Ruckert, he may not make the team, let alone ever see the field .

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Very possible.

That's why I wonder if he would be better as the backup to Corey Davis.  Other than Mims, we don't really have another tall, rangy WR.  Just the TEs.  If you want a guy lined up on the outside other than Davis, I guess it would be Wilson.  I'm always pulling for the long shot to make it and Cager is one of those guys I really hope works out.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

this is why Sauce never gave up a TD in College!!!  LOL

I love Sauce, but if you watch some of his college games he can be very handsy.  A little concerning considering the league has announced it is placing an "emphasis" on illegal contact penalties this year.

Kind of like how they emphasized the taunting penalty last year.  I would expect lots and lots of first downs on ticky tac penalties.  Hopefully this is enforced both ways.

Likely, what will happen is that this emphasis will cause an uproar over the first 5 or 6 weeks and then all of a sudden it won't be as much of an emphasis.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

With Conklin,      Uzomah, and Ruckert, he may not make the team, let alone ever see the field .

I think he will get quite a bit of use.  He is a pure Y TE that has shown willingness to block.

Some examples:

1. Red zone matchup nightmare. He can be the big receiver in the redzone that can  be a true weapon, demand attention score TDs and open things up for other receivers. Think Plaxico Burress sort of impact when he was on the Jets

2.  He can be a weapon in 12 personnel that is actually disguised 11.  SF did this with Deebo last year in 21 personnel which could easily morph to 11 which made him super effective

3,  He is a great weapon for 10 personnel. Davis, Moore, Wilson and Cager would be super hard to defend as would Cager Davis/Wilson Moore and Berrios and in 5 wide (which I am not a huge fan of)

4. Reports are that he has been fantastic on specials.

Cager offers a LOT to this team. He was our highest rated player on Friday by PFF (yeah, I know but a data point) and has been flashing significantly and consistently in practice

Cager not making the team would frankly be shocking at this point barring injury

• Upvote 2