Training Camp Tweets - (Previous Days Merged)

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

Guys, Zach was a rookie. ROOKIE. He was supposed to stink last year. News flash, he’ll probably stink part of this year as well.

Can we please give this kid some, any, time before we judge him?

Justin Herbert says 'Hi'

• Upvote 1

I think the biggest part of the Mike White "debate" is that throwing short and dumps to the backs should be a staple.  We saw Wilson bounce a bunch of those passes and it becomes a legit question if 2021 Wilson would be capable of dumping it short to Moore and Carter for YAC.  There is as much reason to think that Wilson can't throw a short ball accurately enough for success as White can't throw deep.  

I assume there is something that teams don't like about White.  Maybe he can be baited into INTs too easily.  The fact that they kept him on the bench vs. the Dolphins and that nobody went after him this offseason indicates that he does not have upside of NFL starter.   Plenty of sh*tty guys seem to get more chances - Josh Rosen has a job and Fitzpatrick retired on his own terms, but someone, somewhere thinks those guys can start. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The offense is designed to produce YAC. You know who led the league last year in YAC per completion? Jimmy Garoppolo. If Zach wasn’t consistently throwing passes that only Omar Vizquel could field cleanly, he would have been the beneficiary of a lot of YAC from his receivers, too. Instead, all of his receivers ended up on IR

Honestly, you and 80 responded to that same post by quoting the first sentence, cutting the rest, and then responding, telling me everything I need to know about your willingness to have an honest discussion about the situation the entire team was in that game. Once again, Zach Wilson was the Jets leading rusher that day with 24 yards on the ground. The OL and receivers were MASH units that week. I would’ve found an excuse not to play Zach that day. A week away everyone knew that game was going to be a disaster. 

Rewatch both games. Zach had nothing protecting him, no one to throw to. Mike White got his yac by throwing 20 of his 45 attempts to RBs -often behind the los- who did all the work after the catch themselves. With the yac, Mike White’s longest play was 26 yards to Crowder. 

Doubt it could happen (Streveler winning the competition), but I really do want to see Streveler beat out White just to watch you become the biggest Streveler fan on the board (which definitely would happen). Your Mike White love is simply the inverse of your hate for Zach since before the team drafted him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, peebag said:

Justin Herbert says 'Hi'

Lots of rookie quarterbacks are bad. Lots of drafted quarterbacks end up bad. Few are good as rookies. Few are good at all. Very, very, very few are bad early and then become good later in this day and age.

The question isn’t “is it surprising he was bad”, it’s “given he was bad do we think it’s likely he becomes good”. People can throw out exceptions and it’s certainly possible he turns it around, that’s worth acknowledging, but I think we also need to acknowledge that it’s more likely he doesn’t work out than he becomes another outlier.

(This is me agreeing with you, not arguing).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Sure wish Zach could rack up 400 yards and 4 TD’s on dump offs and subsequent YAC. 

Preferably while not throwing 6% of his passes to the other team and healthily finishing more than 33% of his starts. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

You win.  The Jets love Mike White as does the rest of the NFL.  It's also clear - even though the Jets said otherwise - they really brought in Joe Flacco, a day after Zach Wilson got hurt, to back up Mike White - but chose to lie to the fan base.

And now for some inexplicable and almost surely nefarious reasons, they have him behind Flacco on the depth chart.  Even though he's really the best QB on the roster.

I dont think you realize it but all you've done since I made that post is drive my point home.  All I did, was point out the bizarre behavior some Jets fan have toward Mike White in terms of what they fixate on when it comes to the situation.  And all you've done is fit that opinion like a glove with your responses that have been both inaccurate and now emotional. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Preferably while not throwing 6% of his passes to the other team and healthily finishing more than 33% of his starts. 

lol - so funny when I see some of his stats put this way because they can look so ugly when talking about White and all the good feelings he provided.  

Curious, what do these same percentages say about Zach Wilson's first 3 starts in the NFL?

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think the biggest part of the Mike White "debate" is that throwing short and dumps to the backs should be a staple.  We saw Wilson bounce a bunch of those passes and it becomes a legit question if 2021 Wilson would be capable of dumping it short to Moore and Carter for YAC.  There is as much reason to think that Wilson can't throw a short ball accurately enough for success as White can't throw deep.  

I assume there is something that teams don't like about White.  Maybe he can be baited into INTs too easily.  The fact that they kept him on the bench vs. the Dolphins and that nobody went after him this offseason indicates that he does not have upside of NFL starter.   Plenty of sh*tty guys seem to get more chances - Josh Rosen has a job and Fitzpatrick retired on his own terms, but someone, somewhere thinks those guys can start. 

Fair.  The drive that I referenced earlier vs. the Colts, he completed 12, 15, 26 and 19 yard passes on that drive w/ like no yac.  I'm not really making a case for him, obviously this is Wilson's team, so there really isnt a debate per say.  I just find what people fixate on with White interesting.  I understand making excuses for the 2nd overall pick if you're the GM who selected him, naturally, you're giving him a much longer leash.  I've just never really understood that perspective as a fan.  I dont really care who rises to the top, 1st overall, 3rd rounder, UDFA, doesnt matter but idk, it's just weird to me how Mike White's career has been decided by some fans after his first 3 starts but that is not the case for Wilson.

I honesty cant remember but didnt they bench him because he wasnt going to be available throughout the week so he wouldnt have been able to prepare for their complex D and went with Flacco because they felt more comfortable or did they just go with Flacco?

The Jets restricted him on the opening day of FA, fwiw.

1 hour ago, slats said:

Honestly, you and 80 responded to that same post by quoting the first sentence, cutting the rest, and then responding, telling me everything I need to know about your willingness to have an honest discussion about the situation the entire team was in that game. Once again, Zach Wilson was the Jets leading rusher that day with 24 yards on the ground. The OL and receivers were MASH units that week. I would’ve found an excuse not to play Zach that day. A week away everyone knew that game was going to be a disaster. 

Rewatch both games. Zach had nothing protecting him, no one to throw to. Mike White got his yac by throwing 20 of his 45 attempts to RBs -often behind the los- who did all the work after the catch themselves. With the yac, Mike White’s longest play was 26 yards to Crowder. 

Doubt it could happen (Streveler winning the competition), but I really do want to see Streveler beat out White just to watch you become the biggest Streveler fan on the board (which definitely would happen). Your Mike White love is simply the inverse of your hate for Zach since before the team drafted him. 

I don’t think I needed Mike White to validate my Zach Wilson skepticism. I just needed to point to Zach Wilson to validate my Zach Wilson skepticism. My pre-draft concern about him was that he was a slight, privileged mush from the suburbs of Utah who flew up draft boards in a mush conference during the Covid year wherein he was sacked 11 times in 12 games. How would he look when NFL-sized athletes started tackling him? Well, he was the worst passer in football last year playing in an offense that takes all the strain off the passer. My Zach Wilson hate is 100% validated. And, bonus, he’s also injury prone. 

My “love” for Mike White was born the day he took the field with a moribund team and beat the Bengals. The team rallied around the dude for a week and we had fun for a week. That’s it. Mike White competed. He was competent. The team battled for him. Prior to the Mike White start, it looked like LaFleur was a lost cause, Saleh was a lost cause, Douglas had failed. But, in those games where Zach Wilson was injured, the team looked ok, skill players emerged, LaFleur’s offense was clever. And then Zach came back and strangled the team like the albatross that he is. I liked Mike White because Mike White gave us a reason to believe that this regime isn’t terrible, it’s just Zach Wilson that’s terrible. I understand the impulse to make excuses for him, or to pretend that he’s getting better, but Jets fans should honestly know better. Sanchez. Darnold, even Geno Smith did some things that gave you hope. But Zach? Not a thing. You guys are operating on pure faith at this point, which is fine. But just be real about that. Because saying “Mike White is a never-was who doesn’t belong in the NFL” is just a further indictment on Zach Wilson, who never came close to making this offense work the way ol’ Never-was Mike White did for a handful of snaps.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Fair.  The drive that I referenced earlier vs. the Colts, he completed 12, 15, 26 and 19 yard passes on that drive w/ like no yac.  I'm not really making a case for him, obviously this is Wilson's team, so there really isnt a debate per say.  I just find what people fixate on with White interesting.  I understand making excuses for the 2nd overall pick if you're the GM who selected him, naturally, you're giving him a much longer leash.  I've just never really understood that perspective as a fan.  I dont really care who rises to the top, 1st overall, 3rd rounder, UDFA, doesnt matter but idk, it's just weird to me how Mike White's career has been decided by some fans after his first 3 starts but that is not the case for Wilson.

I honesty cant remember but didnt they bench him because he wasnt going to be available throughout the week so he wouldnt have been able to prepare for their complex D and went with Flacco because they felt more comfortable or did they just go with Flacco?

Yeah.  I can agree with all of this.  I tend to stick up for White.  Not because I necessarily love him, but because too many posters think they "see" or can "prove" something with him, but then Darnold and Hackenberg still had "it" three years into their sh*tty "careers."  There are still peoplt that think Geno will be a solid starter.   Every year I pick a QB or two that like late.  They are invariably big dudes with big arms.  White was one of them.  Now I constantly hear that he can't throw deep?  It's a ******* joke. 

I get liking Wilson's release better, believing that Wilson has the better upside.  It makes sense to want Wilson to succeed and not provide Mike White any opportunity that would be detrimental to Wilson's development.  What I don't get?  People thinking they see something horrible problems with Mike White's game, but that everything Wilson's done is easily explained.  I mean, hey, John Elway and Peyton Manning weren't the best rookies!  Well, Kurt Warner didn't really get rostered or play until he was 27.  I guess that means White will be a Hall of Famer too!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I dunno, you tell me.  Any time someone praises Mike White for something he did legitimately well last year it seems someone is right there with some silly criticism.  

He did what he did, that’s not what anyone is saying by saying 1 game isn’t changing what he is.  This is his 5th training camp, 5th try at showing he’s good enough to be a backup QB.  That’s fine but let’s not think he’s going to become a starter anywhere because of one game.  That’s all

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

The fact that White was drafted in 2018 and didn’t appear in an NFL game until 2021 probably has something to do with it. And what happened to him in that Colts game? If Zach or Sam or Geno had the same mystery injury that left him unable to play that night but feeling hunky dory right afterwards, it’s would be mono-level lore around here. 

I have nothing against the guy except that he’s become the avatar for the anti-Zach crowd. I’m not giving Zach a longer leash, the organization is. For my part, I understand and throw my support behind the team’s starting QB.  

And Chris Streveler needs just six games this year on an NFL roster to collect an NFL pension. Love to see him achieve that. Pensions are great. 

On 8/19/2022 at 8:15 AM, FidelioJet said:

Stop.

Flacco was signed the day after Zach was hurt - as you acknowledged AND the the Jets were very clear that he was brought in to start - but didn't have time get him ramped up on the playbook.  White had that Bengals game, so rolled with him.  Who can blame them.  But they didn't have faith in him as a back up.

As a testament to prove this point they kept Flacco and still have White 3rd on the depth chart.  

This isn't a narrative, it's a reality.  Mike White is a 3rd string QB in the NFL.  He had a moment in the sun that gave all of us Jet fans something to cheer in an otherwise dismal season - As a fan I'll always be grateful to him for it...

But that doesn't change the reality of who is he.

wasnt there concern about Flacco getting vaccinated?

• Upvote 1