Training Camp Tweets - (Previous Days Merged)

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I’m glad you’re proving my point that you’d rather be “right” then see the Jets players succeed.  

But you do you, Saul. 

You quoted multiple posters who had very fair criticisms about Becton, myself included, to call us out.  Now you can’t take it from someone else doing the same to you when it turns out that those criticisms were correct/warranted?

Weak.

No one wants to be “right” over Becton’s play.  We all want him to be the guy that we know he is capable of being.  That doesn’t mean that we’re going to turn a blind eye to glaring issues that have plagued him since he came in out of shape last year and underperformed.  So far, he turned a medium degree injury into a season long injury due to weight gain, came into minicamp out of shape and now that he’s come in at the right weight, his conditioning is poor (likely because he didn’t/couldn’t perform at minicamp), and he had a very bad day of practice.  Those are the facts right now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

It helps that he doesn't play for the Jets.

Are you implying that the mean old NYC media is being too tough on poor Becton?  Or that simply playing for the loser Jets automatically yields overreactions or negativity?

Because if so I'm not buying it, especially in this instance.  Nothing Cimini wrote was untrue, and there was no reason he needed to praise Becton for "grinding" through the rest of the practice.  Which is, you know, his job. 

And per tweets above he was beaten on several sacks, so that "grinding" didn't yield much in the way of positive results, either. 

He obviously has all offseason and Week 1 to prove everyone wrong, but whining about not getting praise from a NYC media member is a fruitless venture that demonstrates he has pretty thin skin.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Jets512 said:

The 2nd paragraph is what blows my mind. The experts here who weren’t at practice finding a new sky is falling narrative in a no pads practice on the 2nd day of training camp. 

I don’t know if you’re aware of how conditioning works, but if Becton is struggling with it in a no padded practice, which was run heavy and likely more “intense” than yesterday given reports, than he will be taking a lot more breaks when the pads go on and things start really flying.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, section314 said:

I hope he can do to this offense what Freeman McNeil did back in the day. ?

I wanted so badly for Breece to be a NYJ.  Always picked him in the 2nd round in my mocks.  

He's a complete package.  A big back with great vision and agility.  WR speed and explosiveness with a 40" vertical.  Good receiver too.  Can pass protect.  Anytime he can get into space...be it run or pass...he can turn it into a huge gain...taking it to the House. 

Opposing DCs will be up all night figuring out how to defend him.  Do they employ just a single high safety and put another defender in the box to contain Breece? Do that often enough then you can see ZW make a play action throw deep to either Moore or Wilson...both running a go route...with only one safety back there to help out.  That's a play call for sure Lafleur would like to set up for sometime in the game.  That's just one of many play action calls that Lafleur can dial up due to Hall's presence. 

Breece will take Jets run attack to a whole other level.  And set the table for ZW and this offense to succeed.

Breece is ROTY baby.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

People will laugh, but it's technically true.  Not by much to be fair, but still true.  

I continue to chuckle quietly how completely free of any comment or criticism from fans Lawson has been.

So far, he's been a massive waste of money, and lets be honest, he's best known as a guy who ALMOST gets sacks.  Not actually sacks guys that much...but he ALMOST gets there.

He has as much, if not more, to prove as Becton.  And he too damn well better stay healthy.

Yet no one, literally anywhere on this forum, speaks in any way about that.  Just sorta funny.

I mean, he was killing it in camp last year and then suffered about the most freak injury you can suffer.

Becton was a turnstile in camp and the length of his injury appears to be related to issues within his control.

In an absolute sense Lawson was of course a "bust" in 2021 but the circumstances are obviously nothing alike at all. People criticize those worthy of criticism -- and effort and attitude (two areas where Lawson is great) are among the most worthy of scorn because they're within control.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

You quoted multiple posters who had very fair criticisms about Becton, myself included, to call  us out.  Now you can’t take it from someone else doing the same to you when it turns out that those criticisms were correct/warranted?

Weak.

No one wants to be “right” over Becton’s play.  We all want him to be the guy that we know he is capable of being.  That doesn’t mean that we’re going to turn a blind eye to glaring issues that have plagued him since he came in out of shape last year and underperformed.  So far, he turned a medium degree injury into a season long injury due to weight gain, came into minicamp out of shape and now that he’s come in at the right weight, his conditioning is poor (likely because he didn’t/couldn’t perform at minicamp) and he had a very bad day of practice.  Those are the facts right now.

How did Becton underperform last year?  He played 40 something snaps and gave up 0 sacks.  He got beat in TC mostly before pads came on.  Granted it was part of a single game, but he started off fine and then got hurt.  Let's see where he's at week one of the season.  

PS - was anyone outside for an extended period today? The humidity was awful.  I'd be surprised if he was the only player that needed a breather, but he's the one under the microscope. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

36 minutes ago, cat999 said:

How did Becton underperform last year?  He played 40 something snaps and gave up 0 sacks.  He got beat in TC mostly before pads came on.  Granted it was part of a single game, but he started off fine and then got hurt.  Let's see where he's at week one of the season.  

PS - was anyone outside for an extended period today? The humidity was awful.  I'd be surprised if he was the only player that needed a breather, but he's the one under the microscope. 

I went over that in the thread about him yesterday.  He actually did surrender a sack, even if PFF says he didn’t.  I can repost the footage of it, if you’d like.  I also posted multiple clips of him struggling Week 1.  He was mediocre, at best during the Carolina game, and he parlayed that into making a 4-6 week injury season ending because he couldn’t keep his weight under control.

Also, he got beat like a drum all of camp last season, not just “before the pads came on”.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

Don't care that Becton is huffing and puffing in July.   He's a big man who just made weight.  It's hot and humid.  This is what TC is all about.  Get in shape.  Come November and December in the cold wind put some guys on their backside and get the running game going.   

We were all sucking wind during football "hell week" camp in high school.  Even if you were in great shape hell week still had you puking.  It's what camp is for. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

I think we’re just going to have to disagree that seeking out and then whining about factual reporting of your performance, and wanting praise for trying, is fine and not indicative of a mentality that isn’t going to be helpful for a guy who does repetitive one-on-one pushing contests for a living.

I think your problem is seeking out mental stability in the NFL. Some of the greatest NFL players in recent years are mentally unstable. None of it matters. All that matters is ability/health. 

If he was quiet and professional but sucked Weeks 1 through 17 would you be happy? 

49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Are you implying that the mean old NYC media is being too tough on poor Becton?  Or that simply playing for the loser Jets automatically yields overreactions or negativity?

Because if so I'm not buying it, especially in this instance.  Nothing Cimini wrote was untrue, and there was no reason he needed to praise Becton for "grinding" through the rest of the practice.  Which is, you know, his job. 

And per tweets above he was beaten on several sacks, so that "grinding" didn't yield much in the way of positive results, either. 

He obviously has all offseason and Week 1 to prove everyone wrong, but whining about not getting praise from a NYC media member is a fruitless venture that demonstrates he has pretty thin skin.

Some people break under pressure.

Becton, as a highly touted, high-upside, NY media market 1st round pick, is under alot of pressure.

Frankly, he may simply not be up to it.  Sure, some aspect of his social media fighting with media and fans may be "generational", as in his generation just does that more often.

But some of it may simply be that the pressure has done more than create a chip on his shoulder, it may simply have broken him, creating all sorta of bad attitudes and distracting issues.

I hope that isn't the case, sure, but it's one possible explanation here.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think your problem is seeking out mental stability in the NFL. Some of the greatest NFL players in recent years are mentally unstable. None of it matters. All that matters is ability/health. 

If he was quiet and professional but sucked Weeks 1 through 17 would you be happy? 

Not quite… You’re conflating an ambiguous term, mental stability, with a specific trait that I’m pointing to that likely effects his performance - an over-sensitivity to criticism, and perhaps more importantly, to others perception of him.

There is a huge mental component to any sport.  For instance, the ability to make a putt, and the ability to make the same putt with millions on the line.  More can do the former than the latter.  Becton’s insecurities, which he puts on display regularly, undoubtedly have an effect on his performance.

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

Let's not call people or posts "dumb".  It drags down the discourse.

Regarding training to "peak when it counts", I would argue that today "counts", an NFL Training Camp "counts."  A professional athlete's body and abilities are his product.  An out of shape athlete is like a hungover surgeon or a lawyer who didn't read the necessary briefs.  Irresponsibility leading to poor performance that effects other people.

Our FQB had players in his face all day because the athlete paid to protect him isn't in shape.  Spare me the "well it's good for Zach to get that experience" - Becton is not doing his job well due to lack of commitment and laziness. 

I'm not even that mad about it, more disappointed and resigned to it, but I don't understand anyone arguing that this is just fine.

Perfect post.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh, this is not to excuse Becton. But the media definitely treat the Jets differently than other teams, both local and national.

As for Cimini not lying, I'm surprised he made it through 24 hours without doing so. After yesterday's disaster with how he misreported Saleh's comments on Becton, he doesn't get too long a leash.

8 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Not trolling - but do you actually think Becton could run a mile?

100% he can jog a mile. And he’s fast. So jogging for him is all sprinting for a non athletic 60 year old. Cimini has no chance which is expected. That’s not a knock on Cimini.

Becton is not in game shape. That much is clear. But he did pass the conditioning test. It varies by team but is usually something like sprints for time for about 300m total.

I challenge anyone to go all out sprinting for 300m. It’s not easy.  I train with my son who runs track. Trust me I know. ?

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Not even a pinpoint compared to horse teeth Elway 

Please.  Equine-wise, Elway is on a completely different level.   If I'm permitted to use the Italian, there was a point during one of NASA's missions where a young Elway's dentatura was used to guide a capsule whose guidance system had malfunctioned.   For that, he's a hero.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Biggs said:

Meaningless.  The guy was obviously very overweight a few weeks ago and had to make weight.  It's July.  Big guy is probably drained.  That's what TC is all about.  He's got weeks to get he's strength back and his cardio conditioning at it's peak.  He's got the weight off and with less stress on his joints can start running.  I'm sure when he was sitting around and grossly overweight his cardio conditioning suffered.  He's young and will recover fast.  

Let him tap out now.  Not when it counts.  

Except he tapped out quite often when it counted his rookie year.

Again, I'm panicking yet - I get it, it's early, it was very hot, he's coming off injury etc...all true..

But there's surely concern there.

• Upvote 1

Also taking into account the couple of impressive throws Wilson made as seen on video and reported (Moore and CD I think) this is real good stuff. Especially when he struggled so much with pressure last year. Trending in the right direction.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Do you think the transition to RT from LT has anything to do with this? Becton and AVT both got reps as rookies on the left side now both are replaced by vets…

I don't.  I think he was just exhausted - he seemed to have gotten beat my Hall twice in a row - just ran right around him.   That's likely because he was just tired.  Not the end of the world by any means....but hopefully he can get his conditioning up so he doesn't need to take plays off during games.

15 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Not quite… You’re conflating an ambiguous term, mental stability, with a specific trait that I’m pointing to that likely effects his performance - an over-sensitivity to criticism, and perhaps more importantly, to others perception of him.

There is a huge mental component to any sport.  For instance, the ability to make a putt, and the ability to make the same putt with millions on the line.  More can do the former than the latter.  Becton’s insecurities, which he puts on display regularly, undoubtedly have an effect on his performance.

Man, I should’ve gotten your degree. I’ve made the same diagnosis from my lounge chair. I have the identical concerns, I’m just not ready to bury him with them, yet. I think all of his detractors have to concede that they were shocked that he was off the PUP list day one. In a case of better late than never, he put the work in. I think he’s something of an immature, sensitive guy, but I’m hoping that the experience of being a father gives him some perspective. This is a person who needs good voices in his ear, and it would be good if he could trust some people on the Jets. This is why I was happy to see him embrace the RT spot, it demonstrated a buy-in from the player. Maybe next year he doesn’t avoid the facility. 

I expect a big year from him. At least six weeks until opening day, right? 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2