Training Camp Tweets - (Previous Days Merged)

1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I think there are ramp up periods to start camp + to start with pads. Something like 90 minutes and then they add 10 minutes or so with each practice. Could be wrong.

I don't know what the rules are on snaps or whatever - but the team needs to find a time to prioritize more snaps for ZW/first team. It sounds like they are getting a lot less snaps than the 2nd and 3rd team - which is likely a function of not getting first downs/sustained drives when they run through drives. That being said - no one gives a sh*t about the integrity of the drives or whatever. 2nd and 3rd team O has been outperforming first team and they need to get ZW all the reps he can get. 

How do you know this? Were you there?  Or are you basing this on the tweets? If the former, fine.  If the latter, you have no idea how long each team is on the field or who is outperforming who or why or anything else.

Just now, Warfish said:

I don't think Matt is a troll, for the record.  I just think he is very old-school, and thinks the players should be reliving 1970's type Training Camps.

I tend to agree with you IJ, I don't think Saleh and the Jets are out of the current norms for managing Training Camp time and reps.  First day in pads, I expect shorter/less aggressive practices, and I'd generally guess thats what most of the NFL does.

Do we have any Pats Fans around?  How long was their practice today (if today was their first day in pads too), and how long did their QB get drilled?  Comparison always helps, and the Pats are a good starting point.

I think two things are true: 1. The Jets are very young and 2. The Jets were extremely soft last season. Saleh is likely making that rookie head coach mistake of being too soft on the players and confusing that with gaining buy-in. There‘s a fine balance between being a Joe Judge-style hardo and being a mush, and Saleh is definitely trending toward mush. At some point, he’s gonna have to put his foot down in these guys or they’re gonna get curb-stomped.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

I know it's TC, but Zach still dirting check downs to RB's is a concern.  It's always mechanics when that happens and it was a real problem last year that I'd hoped he cleaned up this off season.  Keeping it in context, it's one TC pass - just a little triggered.

Did he throw it away because he was pressured?  or because there were defenders too close to Hall?  Or was he wide open ?  Who knows based on these cryptic tweets?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

All seriousness.  Are you there with the press?  or part of the team in some way? with access beyond the vast majority of the folks here?

Your full commitment to Mike White seems like it must come from more than the 2 games the rest of of saw him play or knowledge of the level at which the DL pulled up - effecting the outcome of the play - surely seems like something I can't tell from a Connor Hughes Tweet.

Seriously, this is not meant to be facetious but rather a serious question - you often do seem like you have inside knowledge.

I have the same information that you do:

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think two things are true: 1. The Jets are very young and 2. The Jets were extremely soft last season. Saleh is likely making that rookie head coach mistake of being too soft on the players and confusing that with gaining buy-in. There‘s a fine balance between being a Joe Judge-style hardo and being a mush, and Saleh is definitely trending toward mush. At some point, he’s gonna have to put his foot down in these guys or they’re gonna get curb-stomped.

Steel is forged in fire. What is a future built on quicksand worth?

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yes. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I'll be honest T0m (and Matt too), I simply lack the data to either support or disprove the "soft" claim.

Generally it seems to revolve around time, time spent in practice, or time in pads.  Without available and accurate comparative data of other teams, it's quite hard to call Saleh "soft" in my opinion.  

Ultimately, if Saleh is in fact soft, and the Jets play soft and get hurt alot this year, Saleh's entire life dream, his top professional goal, will likely be a failure and he'll be fired. 

I suppose I defer to him to decide how long and how hard a practice needs to be at any given point, he knows better than I, and he has literally everything on the line in the decision.  And like I said, since I can't comp Jets practice time vs, say, the rest of the AFC East, or against the other 2nd year QB teams, or even against the entire NFL, it's just hard to be objective in an analysis (IMO).

If Saleh's practices are meaningfully below league average in length of time on the field, or in pads, or drilling, or conditioning, then I'd agree there is an issue here.  I just lack that data in order to do so.  Sorry mate.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

I second this.

I don't agree with many of @Matt39's takes, but he certainly isn't a troll.

Sad that it's even in doubt to the point it needs to be stated.

We have gotten awful loosy-goosy with what "trolling" is.

We all agree that trolls are bad, but the definitions of what one is are all over the place. Just gotta hope that you don't fit the definition of someone with their finger on the button...

image.png.925cfe363efbeb58b551d58451999695.png

7 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Every post in this thread and just about every other post you make is some complaint.

troll is troll and you're a troll.

It is what it is.  That's why I just generally scroll right past your posts.

Enjoy being miserable...you do you

Being a complainer =/= being a troll.

The word "troll" has really lost it's meaning.

How about just keeping scrolling past his posts, rather than calling him a troll? Or just challenge his opinions, like Warfish is doing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

I’m not looking to see the junction boys or Oklahoma drills for the record. Wilson needs to be in 11-11 situations in practice and if that calls for longer practice sessions then so be it. He goes 3 and out twice and Saleh called off practice. I don’t see how you can get better that way. 

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't think Matt is a troll, for the record.  I just think he is very old-school, and thinks the players should be reliving 1970's type Training Camps.  That is a somewhat common mindset here I think.

I tend to agree with you IJ, I don't think Saleh and the Jets are out of the current norms for managing Training Camp time and reps.  First day in pads, I expect shorter/less aggressive practices, and I'd generally guess thats what most of the NFL does.

Do we have any Pats Fans around?  How long was their practice today (if today was their first day in pads too), and how long did their QB get drilled?  Comparison always helps, and the Pats are a good starting point.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I thought Saleh is going lighter this year because he had so many injuries in camp last year? 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sad that it's even in doubt to the point it needs to be stated.

We have gotten awful loosy-goosy with what "trolling" is.

We all agree that trolls are bad, but the definitions of what one is are all over the place. Just gotta hope that you don't fit the definition of someone with their finger on the button...

image.png.925cfe363efbeb58b551d58451999695.png

Tbf to the mods, I haven't seen anyone yet get banned that didn't either deserve it, or get chance after chance after chance. Hell, even the repeat offender(s) that come back with a new alt even get a grace period before they're banned again.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I have the same information that you do:

If the defense is pulled off on a defensive offsides penalty, then they have much bigger problems. The defense should immediately be cued in to the fact that the offense has a free play in such an instance and is likely to take a shot. They should be on alert, not the other way around. 

I tend to doubt they pulled off, though. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, slats said:

If the defense is pulled off on a defensive offsides penalty, then they have much bigger problems. The defense should immediately be cued in to the fact that the offense has a free play in such an instance and is likely to take a shot. They should be on alert, not the other way around. 

I tend to doubt they pulled off, though. 

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bodgjh0x1e30a76l5nvn

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Tbf to the mods, I haven't seen anyone yet get banned that didn't either deserve it, or get chance after chance after chance. Hell, even the repeat offender(s) that come back with a new alt even get a grace period before they're banned again.

There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes but I don't PM and tell.

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Being a complainer =/= being a troll.

The word "troll" has really lost it's meaning.

How about just keeping scrolling past his posts, rather than calling him a troll? Or just challenge his opinions, like Warfish is doing.

Nah...I'll keep doing whatever I feel like doing.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't think Matt is a troll, for the record.  I just think he is very old-school, and thinks the players should be reliving 1970's type Training Camps.  That is a somewhat common mindset here I think.

I don't think matt is a troll either but I also don't think his opinion is that old school.  I was doing 2 a days as a teenager in the 90's.

Last I knew 15 year old were still doing 2 a days in freshman football

I personally  think the cba rules are overboard. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, PorP said:

I don't think matt is a troll either but I also don't think his opinion is that old school.  I was doing 2 a days as a teenager in the 90's.

Last I knew 15 year old were still doing 2 a days in freshman football

Ya. The CBA is what it is I just think Saleh might be taking the players first/positive vibes whatever a bit too far. Training camp is tedious because football requires more preparation than any other sport. If they’re hiding Zach in practice then what is it going to look like in the games?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Did he throw it away because he was pressured?  or because there were defenders too close to Hall?  Or was he wide open ?  Who knows based on these cryptic tweets?

Exactly.  We don't know anything about how this played out.   We know - short run, incomplete pass, sack - punt.

How much of that is on the QB - we have no idea and no tweet will give us that answer.  

We're all on the edge of our seats for any news - but I really do believe these practice tweets do nothing bur further confuse things.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

Ya. The CBA is what it is I just think Saleh might be taking the players first/positive vibes whatever a bit to far. Training camp is tedious because football requires more preparation than any other sport.

I really don't think it's a positive vibes or a soft thing.

I honestly believe it's all about injuries for him right now.  Last year's team was decimated beyond any reasonable expectation.   He's determined to keep this team as healthy as possible.

No idea if this will help or hinder that effort - but I really don't think it has anything to do with not wanting to push the guys.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, PorP said:

I agree completely.

With that said, the Jets biggest problem for several seasons has been massive amounts of injuries.  At this point, I'd pray to JoBu if that's what it took to not have half our best players hurt and out by mid-season. 

If Saleh feels soft is the route, at some point, I just have to trust him, and hope he's right.  

But again, I'd really want some comparative data before I made a judgement.  Going by "feel" on this issue feels like being angry despite not really knowing the truth of it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I agree completely.

With that said, the Jets biggest problem for several seasons has been massive amounts of injuries.  At this point, I'd pray to JoBu if that's what it took to not have half our best players hurt and out by mid-season. 

If Saleh feels soft is the route, at some point, I just have to trust him, and hope he's right.  

But again, I'd really want some comparative data before I made a judgement.  Going by "feel" on this issue feels like being angry despite not really knowing the truth of it.

I wonder if we are headed for NO pre-season. 

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I agree completely.

Agreed on the injury! 

I don't wanna say to much on Saleh cause I really don't know all the T's and C's of the CBA and also have no idea what his injury prevention staff is telling him. 

I just don't care for the cba basically limiting all on the field activities.  Limiting contact is fine but there is a lot of value in position coaching and walk throughs.

• Upvote 1