Training Camp Tweets - (Previous Days Merged)

can becton play guard? or can we teach him to snap the ball and make line calls (lol yeah right) i mean who the **** is tim ward? at this point i fully expect tomorrows practice report to say "rex ryan made guest appearance at jets practice today....lined up at defensive end and then beat becton for a sack"

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

What makes it look bad is Flacco put together a TD drive and White got them inside the 5. I agree  it was only 2 drives and likely means nothing, but having good drives from the other 2 QB's invites criticism.  

That was also against the 2nd string defense but surely I get it.

It's just so tough for any of us to make any judgements without having seen what actually happened...

59 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Flacco is back because Mike White isn't a capable #2.

They made that mistake last year and it cost them a draft pick as soon as Zach went down.  

It didn’t “cost them a draft pick”. They (Douglas) burned a draft pick with another bad decision. Flacco hasn’t won a game as a Jet. Horrible trade that served no purpose. 

Edit: I see that Warfish made a much more detailed and better post with the same point of view. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

Well, if they only roll with 2 QBs, then Mike White will be out of a job because, inexplicably, Flacco is QB #2

In all likelihood Mike White will be on the practice squad...Flacco will be the #2 because he would give the Jets the best chance to win if Zach is out.

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Didn't  they bring Flacco back after White got hurt?

They traded for him nearly instantly after Zach went down by my recollection, but he wasn't ready for that first game, then White did his Bengals thing and they couldn't play him then, just because of appearances given how well White played.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

In all likelihood Mike White will be on the practice squad...Flacco will be the #2 because he would give the Jets the best chance to win if Zach is out.

2-11 in his last 13 starts.

Lets see, that's a 15 % win rate since he became a backup QB.

I'm pretty sure other QB's would provide a better chance to win than that.

53 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL how did Mike White play himself out of the backup QB job?

He threw for 4 bills in a comeback win over the Bengals, got freak injured throwing a TD pass in prime time vs the Colts, and then went 24/44 for 251 despite the 4 INTs vs the Bills #1 overall pass D.

When he got his chance vs the Bills, Wilson went 7/20 for 87 yards and 1 TD where Crowder basically took a slant to the house.

MFW was sacked once vs the Bills. 

Wilson got sacked 8 (!) times by a Bills D in week 18 playing scrubs and trying to get healthy for the postseason.

MFW also had to face a Bills squad with Tredavious White, who was on IR when Wilson faced them to close out the year.

If Mike White isn't a capable #2 based on 2.5 games of evidence, what is Zach Wilson?

The Jets burned a draft pick because Joe Douglas is obsessed with a dinosaur QB from his salad days in Baltimore, and unlike with previous sad-sack Jet regimes, the head coach now takes his marching orders from the GM.

I love the "this one time at band camp" defense of MW....

30 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

It didn’t “cost them a draft pick”. They (Douglas) burned a draft pick with another bad decision. Flacco hasn’t won a game as a Jet. Horrible trade that served no purpose. 

The purpose was they felt needed an NFL caliber back up in case ZW was out for more than a few games.  JD and the Jets don't have nearly the amount of faith in Mike White as JetNation does.  Their actions have been pretty clear on that.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

2-11 in his last 13 starts.

Lets see, that's a 15 % win rate since he became a backup QB.

I'm pretty sure other QB's would provide a better chance to win than that.

All I'm saying is that's how the Jets see it.  

I would rather see White than Flacco for sure.  But that's probably because I've only seen White twice.  They see him every day.

58 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I know this is now considered trolling here but you notice patterns with new coaches. I was concerned about the lack of reps for Wilson in preseason last year too. Wilson was a project prospect with limited action at a small program. He got limited action in preseason game last year while Mac Jones was playing into the second half. These young players need reps in order to improve. I honestly don’t get Salehs approach on managing this. 

Trying to get to the first game without half the team injured? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I know this is now considered trolling here but you notice patterns with new coaches. I was concerned about the lack of reps for Wilson in preseason last year too. Wilson was a project prospect with limited action at a small program. He got limited action in preseason game last year while Mac Jones was playing into the second half. These young players need reps in order to improve. I honestly don’t get Salehs approach on managing this. 

Belichick had Mac Jones take every snap in a full-contact joint practice against the Giants last year. Threw 40(!) passes. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/nfl-twitter-reacts-patriots-qb-mac-jones-dominating-giants-joint-practice?amp

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'll be honest T0m (and Matt too), I simply lack the data to either support or disprove the "soft" claim.

Generally it seems to revolve around time, time spent in practice, or time in pads.  Without available and accurate comparative data of other teams, it's quite hard to call Saleh "soft" in my opinion.  

Ultimately, if Saleh is in fact soft, and the Jets play soft and get hurt alot this year, Saleh's entire life dream, his top professional goal, will likely be a failure and he'll be fired. 

I suppose I defer to him to decide how long and how hard a practice needs to be at any given point, he knows better than I, and he has literally everything on the line in the decision.  And like I said, since I can't comp Jets practice time vs, say, the rest of the AFC East, or against the other 2nd year QB teams, or even against the entire NFL, it's just hard to be objective in an analysis (IMO).

If Saleh's practices are meaningfully below league average in length of time on the field, or in pads, or drilling, or conditioning, then I'd agree there is an issue here.  I just lack that data in order to do so.  Sorry mate.

Do you want them injured now or after the season begins? 

Just now, T0mShane said:

Belichick had Mac Jones take every snap in a full-contact joint practice against the Giants last year. Threw 40(!) passes. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/nfl-twitter-reacts-patriots-qb-mac-jones-dominating-giants-joint-practice?amp

While the Jets pulled the entire team off the field for the eagles preseason game because there was rain. Wilson threw 20 total passes the entire preseason in 2021. I’m saying, it’s a pattern.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

This is so sad.  Not surprising the NFL has come to this, but there are actually people charting throws in camp as if any of this matters, at all.  Considering today was the first day in pads I think for the Jags, probably 80% of these were in shorts?  My goodness people.  This is meaningless, they're probably still going through installs w/ a bunch of new faces.

It is beyond meaningless - we don't know what each team is asking their players to do.  .  Are they asking to test a CB? Work a WR? Practice check downs etc...

But I think the main point is I would like to see Zach getting more reps though - He seems to have two maybe three series and then he's done.    He does seem to need the work.

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The purpose was they felt needed an NFL caliber back up in case ZW was out for more than a few games.  JD and the Jets don't have nearly the amount of faith in Mike White as JetNation does.  Their action have been pretty clear on that.

Basically this. The great Mike White hype is understandable, and I’d also enjoy seeing if he could possibly continue being that yards after the catch machine while simultaneously being less of a turnover machine, but he just doesn’t have the trust of the coaching staff that Flacco has. As much as some fans love him, if the Jets choose to only carry two QBs this year, it’s gonna be White who’s the odd man out. If White makes the 53, he’ll be inactive every week Zach and Flacco are healthy. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Based on what - the SB MVP he won in February of 2013?

the larger point is that Flacco has no chance of being the longterm answer here. Playing Flacco feels like a waste of time. 

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It is beyond meaningless - we don't know what each team is asking their players to do.  .  Are they asking to test a CB? Work a WR? Practice check downs etc...

But I think the main point is I would like to see Zach getting more reps though - He seems to have two maybe three series and then he's done.    He does seem to need the work.

This is what annoys me about JD, why tf did he hire a rookie defensive coach with no experience developing a young QB?

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

the larger point is that Flacco has no chance of being the longterm answer here. Playing Flacco feels like a waste of time. 

White is a waste of time, limited arm talent QB is not the best thing for young route running WR’s. At least Moore and Wilson’s talents won’t goto complete waste with Flaccos arm. 

33 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The purpose was they felt needed an NFL caliber back up in case ZW was out for more than a few games.  JD and the Jets don't have nearly the amount of faith in Mike White as JetNation does.  Their actions have been pretty clear on that.

You can take Mike White out of the equation and still see signing Flacco as a bad decision. He’s old, not all that interested in football IMO and can’t win games. I’d much rather have a young QB in there if Zach were to not be able to play. Again, doesn’t have to be Mike White. I haven’t and don’t agree with Douglas management of the QB room. 

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

“Feels like yesterday Slim”

-J.Flacco

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

You can take Mike White out of the equation and still see signing Flacco as a bad decision. He’s old, not all that interested in football IMO and can’t win games. I’d much rather have a young QB in there if Zach were to not be able to play. Again, doesn’t have to be Mike White. I haven’t and don’t agree with Douglas management of the QB room. 

Yea I'm with you. I really like what we saw with White, Flacco doesn't really do it for me. His value is as a mentor hopefully.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

White is a waste of time, limited arm talent QB is not the best thing for young route running WR’s. At least Moore and Wilson’s talents won’t goto complete waste with Flaccos arm. 

Maybe. White is at least accurate and seems to have a good command of the offense. 

Even forgetting about White for a second, I just have no interest in watching Flacco play.  

• Upvote 1