Training Camp Tweets - (Previous Days Merged)

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s pretty neat that viable OL are readily available in free agency, because the 2023 Jets only have Todd Hermanns, Max Mitchell, The Cap Hit Formerly Known As Mekhi Becton, and now Duane Brown under contract. Lean pickin’s.

Brown shows up performing better than Ekwonu for less money on a short term deal in an emergency situation. That’s why you don’t spend top ten picks on insurance. Much better values will always be out there, waiting to be found. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Brown shows up performing better than Ekwonu for less money on a short term deal in an emergency situation. That’s why you don’t spend top ten picks on insurance. Much better values will always be out there, waiting to be found. 

The Jets had to panic in mid-August to give a 37 year old guy $22 million dollars to come in and be part of a reshuffling of their offensive line a month out from playing the Ravens. Ickey Ekwonu, 21, signed a 4 year, $27 million dollar contract and is a superhuman road grading machine with the feet of a ballerina.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets had to panic in mid-August to give a 37 year old guy $22 million dollars to come in and be part of a reshuffling of their offensive line a month out from playing the Ravens. Ickey Ekwonu, 21, signed a 4 year, $27 million dollar contract and is a superhuman road grading machine with the feet of a ballerina.

But JD is a genius…haven’t you been paying attention?  

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The failure was in not getting veteran help before this for the OL, not not drafting the Panther’s backup LT/potential guard. Jets got a premier CB in the process, and their OL is fairly settled. Had they drafted Ekwonu and then lost Hall or Reed to injury, their secondary would be in significantly far worse shape than their OL is in today. It was the right call then, and it remains the right call. 

JD has managed the cap well enough that he was able to bring in a starting LT in August without hurting himself. A struggling top ten pick wasn’t needed there, the problem was fixable with money they had readily assessable. Good understanding of the market right there. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slats said:

The failure was in not getting veteran help before this for the OL, not not drafting the Panther’s backup LT/potential guard. Jets got a premier CB in the process, and their OL is fairly settled. Had they drafted Ekwonu and then lost Hall or Reed to injury, their secondary would be in significantly far worse shape than their OL is in today. It was the right call then, and it remains the right call. 

JD has managed the cap well enough that he was able to bring in a starting LT in August without hurting himself. A struggling top ten pick wasn’t needed there, the problem was fixable with money they had readily assessable. Good understanding of the market right there. 

I’m going to surprise you here. I agree with all of this. I stand down.

• Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1

23 hours ago, Lith said:

I think Will sums things up pretty well.   Encouraging to hear that Zach has stacked a few really good practices together, and most who have seen him have said he looks to be better. 

But I need to see it on Sundays before I allow myself to totally buy in.  Looking forward to the game tomorrow night to get our first look.

Re Wilson:

1. It is really hard for me to evaluate where he is right now because I have not seen him play this year. 

2. Even if he plays well in the preseason, he was considered by some to be the best rookie QB last year during the preseason and that did not mean anything once the real games started. 

3. The general impression that I've had from readings the TC reports is that he has looked solid, probably comparable to how he was playing at the end of last season. If the Jets are going to improve off of last year, they will need more than that out of Wilson. 

4. Good play in the preseason and TC does not guarantee that you will play well during the regular season; however, if you play poorly during TC and the preseason you almost always will not play well during the regular season. On that end, it is good to hear that Wilson appears to be playing at least solidly. 

5. Just like you, I need to see Wilson playing better during the regular season than he did at the end of last season before I can buy in; however, up until now, he has done everything I can reasonably ask of him so far this camp.