Sometimes it’s hard to tell, but this is a site for Jet fans

slats

7 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

This isn't a real thing.  And this is what I'm talking about as far as dragging down the discourse that gets ignored because it's in-line with a pro-Jets attitude.  The people who do not think the Jets will make the playoffs are rooting for them to make the playoffs just as hard as you are.  Everyone on this website, minus the trolls, is an absolutely huge Jets fan.

They just don't involve that hope in their analysis of the team.  It's not choosing to be miserable, it's not rep farming, and it's not hoping to be right.  It's sharing what they believe is reality about the state of the team - and yes, sadly, that perspective has been closer to objectivity over the last very long time.

Yep.  This tension was most readily apparent in the years where board members like myself were rooting for a tank.  I recall some general scolding by Max for this attitude, even though rooting for losses in a lost season made the most sense for the franchise’s future.

We all (or nearly all) wanted what’s best for the franchise, but philosophically disagreed on the best way for that to happen.

And to be clear the anti-tank crowd has been wrong at every turn, lol. 

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So if you aren’t Tom or another long-timer, you don’t get a pass?

I get the annoyance of the one-topic posters.  But it should also be ok to be consistently unhappy with a program that has by far the longest playoff drought in the league.

If you’re going to have a mod starting a thread like this and support it, I’d also hope to see a thread saying something like “It’s ok to not be super happy about the worst franchise in the league since 2010.”

Crazy that it has come to that point, but that is where we are at unfortunately.

I don't know - I think it's pretty obvious who's "consistently unhappy with a program that has by far the longest playoff drought in the league," and who's here to be a problem.  Starting an account and immediately a thread, "prepare yourself for Zach Wilson to be a bust" is obvious trolling.  And I say this as someone who has prepared himself for Zach Wilson to be a bust.

I also say this as someone who often has a hard time 'laying off the high ones,' but people need to do a better job of ignoring those posts/threads.  Your parents weren't wrong when they told you that if you ignored your younger sibling, they'd stop.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, ZachEY said:

That said, the attacks on the pessimistic fans are as big of a problem as anything else on this board.  They’re tolerated far too much because the attacks are confabulated with a “pro-Jets attitude,” but harm the discourse as much as anything else.  There’s a handful of posters who never talk football and just comment on how others are as fans - it adds nothing.

I’d say that this is a problem that, at the very least, goes both ways. I honestly don’t notice it as much coming from the positive types, aside from @Joe W. Namath, and he’s a one man minority all his own. It’s the bickering and calling out of other posters that I’d like to see cut way back. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You start thread after thread about gossip, not football. Then play petulant victim when people razz you for it, like you’re foooing people. 

Put me on ignore, it is a simple solution. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ZachEY said:

I don't know - I think it's pretty obvious who's "consistently unhappy with a program that has by far the longest playoff drought in the league," and who's here to be a problem.  Starting an account and immediately a thread, "prepare yourself for Zach Wilson to be a bust" is obvious trolling.  And I say this as someone who has prepared himself for Zach Wilson to be a bust.

I also say this as someone who often has a hard time 'laying off the high ones,' but people need to do a better job of ignoring those posts/threads.  Your parents weren't wrong when they told you that if you ignored your younger sibling, they'd stop.

Its been clear in this very thread though that not everyone can tell so easily who is who.  Some posters are getting called out that likely don’t fit in that box.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

This isn't a real thing.  And this is what I'm talking about as far as dragging down the discourse that gets ignored because it's in-line with a pro-Jets attitude.  The people who do not think the Jets will make the playoffs are rooting for them to make the playoffs just as hard as you are.  Everyone on this website, minus the trolls, is an absolutely huge Jets fan.

They just don't involve that hope in their analysis of the team.  It's not choosing to be miserable, it's not rep farming, and it's not hoping to be right.  It's sharing what they believe is reality about the state of the team - and yes, sadly, that perspective has been closer to objectivity over the last very long time.

This IS a real thing.  Maybe not you, but read the board.  Very prevalent the last few months.  Hence, this thread.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Its been clear in this very thread though that not everyone can tell so easily who is who.  Some posters are getting called out that likely don’t fit in that box.  

You can't make rules for everyone based on the ineptitude of a few.

2 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

This IS a real thing.  Maybe not you, but read the board.  Very prevalent the last few months.  Hence, this thread.

So you really think there are Jets fans who want the Jets to be bad?

See what I mean @ZachEY?  There are tons of pollyannas who now think they have free reign to call out any negativity because they can’t tell the difference between a fan who wants the Jets to not suck and a fan who wants them to CONTINUE to suck. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

You can't make rules for everyone based on the ineptitude of a few.

Exactly.  So why does this thread exist if it’s just a small contingent of posters ruining the dialogue?  Just ban those, ask people to use the ignore feature, and move on. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

See what I mean @ZachEY?  There are tons of pollyannas who now think they have free reign to call out any negativity because they can’t tell the difference between a fan who wants the Jets to not suck and a fan who wants them to CONTINUE to suck. 

I do see what you mean, but this thread was about being allowed to be positive, and calling out negativity.  My first post was saying exactly what you're saying.  That there are positive fans who attack negative (realistic?) ones just as much, and it damages the board just as much.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, slats said:

I’d say that this is a problem that, at the very least, goes both ways. I honestly don’t notice it as much coming from the positive types, aside from @Joe W. Namath, and he’s a one man minority all his own. It’s the bickering and calling out of other posters that I’d like to see cut way back. 

There are people in this very thread calling out specific posters for being negative, and I doubt there will be any repercussions.

As long as it’s “called both ways” then the policy works.  Just doesn’t seem likely it will when the policy of those running the board is “hey, be Jets fans guys, cut out all the incessant negativity”.  

image.gif.53b3bcf015906592b54b6980da0208a8.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I do see what you mean, but this thread was about being allowed to be positive, and calling out negativity.  My first post was saying exactly what you're saying.  That there are positive fans who attack negative (realistic?) ones just as much, and it damages the board just as much.

Right.  And what do you think those positive fans will take from this thread?  Think the message will be “cut it out”?

The thread title should be “stop attacking other posters” not what reads more like telling everyone to Jet the f**k up or get the f**k out.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Not an attack, on you or anyone else.  I choose to look at the glass half full.  Others choose half empty.  As a leisure activity, seems counter productive to me, but whatever.

But when a negative poster calls out positive posters as ignorant, that is a bridge too far.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, GandWFan said:

Not an attack, on you or anyone else.  I choose to look at the glass half full.  Others choose half empty.  As a leisure activity, seems counter productive to me, but whatever.

My take is the Jets need to give me a reason to have my glass half full.  They haven’t for 12 years.

And I say that as someone who is optimistic about the job Joe Douglas has done to this point.  

The glass being half empty does NOT, However, mean that there is a large contingent of fans rooting against the team. this claim has been made for a while now but no one can produce a list of posters doing this. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, slats said:

I mean, sure, to some degree, perhaps it does.  But, I don't know - overall, I think what makes this website special, is that it's a sustained community of huge Jets fans.  Most of us, in our daily lives, don't have a group who cares enough to talk about who the Jets might use their 3rd round pick on.  They don't care about what happened in training camp yesterday.  So, they come here, to talk with other super fans about this stupid obsession.  

I feel like the people who have spoken objectively, and unfortunately, have been correct about this team, are routinely attacked as "not real fans."  I will admit to something though.  I do "want to be right on the internet," just as I want to be right anywhere else I make a point.  I come here to discuss, maybe learn, and frankly, perhaps more so, to laugh and try to make others laugh about this dumb hobby.  To me, I don't need a community to say, "GO JETS."  I put on a t-shirt for that.  I think it's undeniable though, that some want this to be largely a place to just do exactly that, say "GO JETS," end of discussion.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right.  And what do you think those positive fans will take from this thread?  Think the message will be “cut it out”?

The thread title should be “stop attacking other posters” not what reads more like telling everyone to Jet the f**k up or get the f**k out.  

I agree.  That's why, again, in my first post, I said, something exactly to that effect, no?

• Upvote 1

I like the spirit of this thread.  I don't think we should be censoring opinions that are critical of the Jets, because heaven knows they deserve it.  But the agenda-driven trolling does get exhausting.  Especially by those who have a track record of doing things such as touting Solomon Thomas (who's on our team now! Go Solly!) as the next Bruce Smith, and then sprinting away from their opinions.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nj meadowlands said:

I like the spirit of this thread.  I don't think we should be censoring opinions that are critical of the Jets, because heaven knows they deserve it.  But the agenda-driven trolling does get exhausting.  Especially by those who have a track record of doing things such as touting Solomon Thomas (who's on our team now! Go Solly!) as the next Bruce Smith, and then sprinting away from their opinions.

Matt.  Leinart.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

But when a negative poster calls out positive posters as ignorant, that is a bridge too far.

See, the issue is that the people you describe as "glass half empty" don't see themselves that way.  You're labeling them that way.  They see themselves as objective, and the facts have absolutely bared that out for some time.  One of my favorite tropes around here is, "You'd be miserable if they won the Super Bowl."  Oh yeah?  Why don't we wait and see...

Debates get heated here sometimes, that's true.  But, my take, and this very way may be wrong and an overgeneralization of how I try to (and I'm sure I've come up short), and a few others who I'm thinking of, behave, but it's not usually the 'realist' who casts the first stone.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I honestly thought this thread was supposed to be about those few trolls (one guy probably) constantly spamming accounts and spamming the forums with the same negative takes over and over and over. But it seems like it's going in a different direction than I thought.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I honestly thought this thread was supposed to be about those few trolls (one guy probably) constantly spamming accounts and spamming the forums with the same negative takes over and over and over. But it seems like it's going in a different direction than I thought.

Exactly.  Because there’s a lot of generalization going on right now.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Tell me, as an optimist, what do you see here?

20220801_091402.thumb.jpg.4529f5c9d2ed7e06bc407c8f1f68cd77.jpg

You talk like it's a choice to be miserable and see that the Jets have, historically, been terrible, and not that it's an honest evaluation of history. And that kind of attitude is insulting to some, and as problematic as the so called "trolls".

It is a choice.  It's not what life (or the Jets) does to you.  It's how you react to what life (or the Jets) does to you.  That is a choice.

• Upvote 1