Sometimes it’s hard to tell, but this is a site for Jet fans

slats

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

slats:  “We can’t have people calling each other out”

also slats, when he reaches that post by Hal:

can't see scooby-doo GIF by Head Like an Orange

Tbh, I'm not actually familiar enough with those two posters Hal called out to know if they are alts or genuine personas.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For the glass half full crowd:  How have you handled the last 12 years of disappointment?  You good?  Because I know of a lot of positive-only posters who haven’t stuck around here over the years.  

I have followed the Jets since 1968.  13 years old in NY then was a magical time.  Jets, Mets, Knicks.  It was all good.  So I have seen the ups and downs.  Good teams and bad teams.  Still every Sunday I expect to win.  Delusional maybe, but otherwise why watch. 

The last 12 years have been rough, but ironically now they are finally posed for another run, and many posters are miserable (realistic).  I just don't get it.  Never will.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

It is a choice.  It's not what life (or the Jets) does to you.  It's how you react to what life (or the Jets) does to you.  That is a choice.

No, you're obfuscating.

It's real simple. Have the Jets been bad in recent history? Yes.

Acknowledging that fact is as much of a choice as believing in gravity.

I get you want to focus on only the positives -- and that's your prerogative -- but that's not anymore honest or rational than those who see the negative, and you don't need to disparage them.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You don’t have to censor anyone. You can just put an APB out to every troll that management endorses and encourages personal attacks on anyone who doesn’t think the 2022 Jets are destined for greatness. Congrats. Sure to boost the quality of the discourse.

You really think your tired, non-stop onslaught of ZACK SUX GO MIKE WHITE! is "Discourse"??

image.thumb.png.00d285f0cf2067c14bf2245473c64bef.png

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I hate the team.

But I believe you can only truly hate something that you love. 

That being said, I convince myself every fall that we’re going to kick ass.  Then around October first, I start looking at the draft. 

I still want to believe every fall, otherwise what’s the point?

Most of us are out-of-towners that don’t have anyone local to talk about the team.

I hate to admit it, but this low-key happens to me, too, and I loathe myself for it every year.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I haven’t taken any ban recommendations just yet. 

I’m not exactly sure why you feel the need to champion some sort of cause here, outside of getting some rep from your boys. What I do know is that you don’t know what the **** you’re talking about. Before I put up this (quite popular) thread, I took down a thread from the sunnier side calling out so-called trolls.

I brought up the negativity because the volume of it far outweighs the couple of sunshiners who push back the other way. People are far more likely to be off topic and derailing and caustic from the negative side than the positive. It’s just the nature of things. And again, judging by the response the thread has gotten (including the highly predictable down votes) it seems as if I’ve struck a chord with a number of people who see the same things I am. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 3

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

There's a difference between what you hope will happen and what you think will happen

Summer breeds hope. 
I allow myself to be hurt every fall. 

By mid season I start treating each game as it’s own entity.

Forget the big picture and try to enjoy 17 games.  They go by fast. 

• Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

12 years? What are you 13?

Umm, not really, been a Jets fan since mid to late 70's, but they were not really a disaster from 06 to 2010,  so while they have been a disaster for more time than they havent been a disaster in my years, I was using 12 as in 2011 to 2022, maybe I should have used 11 years as they havent yet been a disaster this year, although they could be.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You don’t have to censor anyone. You can just put an APB out to every troll that management endorses and encourages personal attacks on anyone who doesn’t think the 2022 Jets are destined for greatness. Congrats. Sure to boost the quality of the discourse.

Seriously T0m? 

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This.  So very much this.

Those of us that get lumped into this group have said this to you all a thousand times now.  And frankly, the ongoing "you must be a sad, pathetic miserable person" rhetoric because of some analysis, evaluation or prediction is starting to wear pretty god damn thin with me.  Mind your own business and your own phycological state, and I'll worry about mine, thanks.  If you cannot find a response to one of us that doesn't start and end with your dime store psychology about our state of mind, then you simply don't have a response and should not reply.  We neither need nor want your insights into what makes us tick.

While I very much support @slats in his OP here, and the other Mods and all they do for us, I DO think that fair is fair, and these kind of insulting posts from the (for lack of a better descriptor) the "Intolerant Homer" contingent at folks like me, and Zach and T0m and JGB and 80 really warrant the same kind of rejection.  

Hell, @slats himself is an excellent example to follow.  He and I have been debating for ages, and not once has he ever insulted me personally.  He debates the facts and stays on-topic.  It's not that hard most of the time.

Very well stated and it's extremely clear from your posts that you will be very happy to see any pessimistic takes proved wrong. It's not as easy to discern that from some others who may sincerely feel the same. Case in point, similar to your objections about posters  commenting on your state of mind, the over the top psycho analyzing and name calling of Becton makes it hard to believe everyone is secretly rooting for him to succeed.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

Still every Sunday I expect to win.  Delusional maybe, but otherwise why watch. 

The last 12 years have been rough, but ironically now they are finally posed for another run, and many posters are miserable (realistic).  I just don't get it.  Never will.

Why do we watch if we don't expect them to win?  Because, it's entertainment and we've developed an affinity towards this team that keeps us engaged.

Why do I watch my daughter's gymnastic performances?  Between you and me, she's bright, social, and many other things, but she is absolutely not good at gymnastics.

You're also conflating an opinion, poised for another run, with reality.  I love what they did this offseason, and think they will improve the team.  But, 'poised to make a run' us undoubtedly wishful thinking when you have the leagues worst performing QB starting for you.  I hope he improves.  As much as anyone, but I don't bake his improvement into my analysis of the team.

We assumed Sanchez would improve.  He did not.  We assumed Darnold would improve.  He did not.  Until I see it, the Jets aren't poised for anything.  Fool me 300 times, shame on who exactly?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I kinda like the transparency.

I hear ya. Maybe it's the snarky (although admittedly often funny) comments that usually go with each announcement that seem a bit celebratory. Anyway, it's only my humble opinion that if we want to foster a more positive vibe maybe we should consider not immortalizing trolls in a sticky thread -- since that's what real trolls are actually gunning for and we may be creating an incentive for the behavior.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Slats, I love you, you know this. Consider the impact of what you’re doing here and which posters you’re emboldening. 

Really not seeing your concern here. Definitely think you’re overreacting. Feel free to PM me anytime. 

1 minute ago, ZachEY said:

Why do we watch if we don't expect them to win?  Because, it's entertainment and we've developed an affinity towards this team that keeps us engaged.

Why do I watch my daughter's gymnastic performances?  Between you and me, she's bright, social, and many other things, but she is absolutely not good at gymnastics.

You're also conflating an opinion, poised for another run, with reality.  I love what they did this offseason, and think they will improve the team.  But, 'poised to make a run' us undoubtedly wishful thinking when you have the leagues worst performing QB starting for you.  I hope he improves.  As much as anyone, but I don't bake his improvement into my analysis of the team.

We assumed Sanchez would improve.  He did not.  We assumed Darnold would improve.  He did not.  Until I see it, the Jets aren't poised for anything.  Fool me 300 times, shame on who exactly?

Oh, you are ABSOLUTELY right.  My bad.  Here I was approaching the Jets like I was watching my daughter's swim meet.  How could I be so wrong!

And Zach could NEVER improve between years one and two.  Can't happen.  Never has.

Troy Aikman, amoung others, says hello.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, GandWFan said:

Oh, you are ABSOLUTELY right.  My bad.  Here I was approaching the Jets like I was watching my daughter's swim meet.  How could I be so wrong!

And Zach could NEVER improve between years one and two.  Can't happen.  Never has.

He certainly can improve. But we come to this site because we’re big fans of the team and take enjoyment out of following practice etc. Wilson struggling in practice, especially 11-11 is going to get people to talk about it. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

So I got to this post above and had to stop reading. It made it perfectly clear what a pile of bull crap this thread is. If this guy isn’t trolling, or inciting by calling people out, nobody is, and this is exactly the type of post where the writer should be given a time out.

But no, we get a trigger happy mod deciding to put everyone on notice that he’s going to keep a keen eye out for anyone he feels is upsetting the apple cart he and the other “see no evil” posters ride on, but the people sitting in business class on that cart get carte blanche to call out posters in that very thread.

I’m no expert on running message boards, but I think a mod should be able to monitor a board without making it more divisive than what it was. We now have people taking victory laps calling out people they want banned, and a very select few who are above reproach trying to point out the hypocrisy.
Thank you @T0mShane Thank you.

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  Let’s do a time out.  This place is getting miserable again, at a time when there should be nothing that negative.  There is no need to go flying in crapping over every thread.  

It’s like optimism offends some and they need everyone to share their Jets misery at all times in the name of “open dialogue.” 

I’ll take the same penalty as these 2 above - who are doing exactly what they are moaning about.  

The account owners should have named the trolls you are white knighting for “alt4” and “alt5”.  It would have been more sneaky.  

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

I hear ya. Maybe it's the snarky (although admittedly often funny) comments that usually go with each announcement that seem a bit celebratory. Anyway, it's only my humble opinion that if we want to foster a more positive vibe maybe we should consider not immortalizing trolls in a sticky thread -- since that's what real trolls are actually gunning for and we may actually be creating an incentive for the behavior.

I don't mind celebrating the purging of a troll, because f*** them. I don't see it as immortalizing them as much as laughing at them.

Re: the bold; you may have a point, but it's not like we didn't get trolls before the gallows thread went up. You'd have to ask the mods if there has been an increase since.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

This is it.  The epitome of responses to any “negative” take.  Just totally dismisses the gymnastics analogy because “daughter’s gymnastics lol?!” I thought it was a good analogy and reflected my view.

Also does not know or cannot handle history/trends.  If this should be people’s viewpoints, then every thread on this forum should be “I can’t wait for the Jets to win the super bowl this year”

And Troy Aikman and “the others” are SEVERE outliers.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

I don't mind celebrating the purging of a troll, because f*** them. I don't see it as immortalizing them as much as laughing at them.

Re: the bold; you may have a point, but it's not like we didn't get trolls before the gallows thread went up. You'd have to ask the mods if there has been an increase since.

Reasonable minds can def disagree. Again it just seems inconsistent with a board trying to be more positive to have a bunch of corpses dangling over our front door lol.

• Upvote 2