Sometimes it’s hard to tell, but this is a site for Jet fans

slats

Just now, slimjasi said:

Very cool to have folks who have watched this team for that long. 

I stand by the assessment, however 

Fitz had that great year in 2010 I believe? Anyways the last time before that for any optimism was when Vinny came within an eyelash of winning us a SB. 

Just now, Maynard13 said:

Fitz had that great year in 2010 I believe? Anyways the last time before that for any optimism was when Vinny came within an eyelash of winning us a SB. 

Eh, you need to mention Rex and Sanchez in 2009-2010. I’m sure you had some degree of “optimism” after the divisional playoff wins in San Diego and NE.

I’d also argue that Chad Pennington gave us a real moment in 2002 before the brutal loss in Oakland. 

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Eh, you need to mention Rex and Sanchez in 2009-2010. I’m sure you had some degree of “optimism” after the divisional playoff wins in San Diego and NE.

I’d also argue that Chad Pennington gave us a real moment in 2002 before the brutal loss in Oakland. 

Yea that wasn’t bad. But Chad and his noodle arm - sheeeesh. 

3 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Yea that wasn’t bad. But Chad and his noodle arm - sheeeesh. 

Yea, but were you referring to his “noodle arm” before the divisional loss in Oakland? I remember a lot of optimism in the fanbase after three straight wins against New England on Sunday night, the packers to make the playoffs, and the Colts in the wildcard round (41-0)

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

Yea, but were you referring to his “noodle arm” before the divisional loss in Oakland? I remember a lot of optimism in the fanbase after three straight wins against New England on Sunday night, the packers to make the playoffs, and the Colts in the wildcard round (41-0)

Sorry was never a fan of Pennington. Hated the pick. Would be ideal for a linguini commercial. Nice guy. A lot like Mac Jones. Seems like a nice kid but not my kind of QB. Could still be a winner on a team like the Ravens when they won with a QB manager like Dilfer. But I’m more in tune with the gunslinger type QB like Mahomes, Farve, Namath, Bert Jones, Herbert etc etc etc. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Fashion?  Please.  With these louts?  Probably coudn't tell a proper bootcut from their elbow.

Shoot I got the board shorts, pull over, flip flop thing matsered....

If you need tips I'm your guy ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

+1

I followed that year closely, in fact I think that was the season where I officially became a diehard fan of the team, and it wasn't until that game where it became glaringly obvious how much of a liability his lack of arm strength was. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

“F yeah slim!”

- H. Edwards

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ultraJETfan said:

+1

I followed that year closely, in fact I think that was the season where I officially became a diehard fan of the team, and it wasn't until that game where it became glaringly obvious how much of a liability his lack of arm strength was. 

Yep - People were legitimately comparing him to Montana. And remember, he did have 22 TDs and 6 INTs. He was playing really well. 

Heck, even after the Oakland loss, people were saying that the Jets had found their QB. Chad breaking his wrist the following preseason really put a damper on things. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If you don't post "OMG Zach Wilson is a bust, JD should be fired" in July during the first week of training camp, you don't get called a SOJF. Nobody gets called a SOJF if they come in with a well reasoned somewhat negative take on a player. 

It's one thing to disagree with posts like that.

It's another thing entirely to suggest that posters who don't share your view aren't real fans. I'd wager that 99% of all posters who think that Wilson is already a bust, or that JD should be fired (which is seriously not a common belief anyway) would be ecstatic to be proven wrong.

And those hyperbolic posts that you suggest "permeate" the site are really a minority. Most doubters are better reasoned than that, and actually have more proof to back up their claims than hope.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

It's another thing entirely to suggest that posters who don't share your view aren't real fans. I'd wager that 99% of all posters who think that Wilson is already a bust, or that JD should be fired (which is seriously not a common belief anyway) would be ecstatic to be proven wrong.

And those hyperbolic posts that you suggest "permeate" the site are really a minority. Most doubters are better reasoned than that, and actually have more proof to back up their claims than hope.

I’m fairly certain this isn’t about posts from real accounts.   It’s about alts like@JoeNamathsFurCoat and @Darnold's Forehead

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, PorP said:

Shoot I got the board shorts, pull over, flip flop thing matsered....

If you need tips I'm your guy ?

It is my dream that one day folks on this board will comprehend, if not fully embrace, the vital importance of hues and color saturation as readily as blocking schemes.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Yep - People were legitimately comparing him to Montana. And remember, he did have 22 TDs and 6 INTs. He was playing really well. 

Heck, even after the Oakland loss, people were saying that the Jets had found their QB. Chad breaking his wrist the following preseason really put a damper on things. 

Oh I remember. I was Team Chad all the way. I was at the game the week before when they trounced the Colts. Oakland completely exposed him. He looked like he didn't belong on the same field as them.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I will push back on that man.  Every Becton thread is filled with fat,  lazy,  uncommitted. There aren't many decent arguements against him... just one of those 3 that covers dozens of pages.

And is "hyperbole" the JN catch phrase? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I’m fairly certain this isn’t about posts from real accounts.   It’s about alts like@JoeNamathsFurCoat and @Darnold's Forehead

If so, then it goes back to T0m's point that there are those that can't tell the difference between a genuine troll, and a pessimistic fan.

It's kinda sad. But also kinda funny.

• Post of the Week 2

7 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

It is my dream that one day folks on this board will comprehend, if not fully embrace, the vital importance of hues and color saturation as readily as blocking schemes.

What is a hue?

Was he our backup LG in 2016

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PorP said:

I will push back on that man.  Every Becton thread is filled with fat,  lazy,  uncommitted. There aren't many decent arguements against him... just one of those 3 that covers dozens of pages.

Correct.

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Are you going to do the same for the people who go nuts on anyone who posts something that isn't glowingly positive? It sure seems like the non-trolls who post anything that is "Hey, this seems like an issue" get bombarded with people pissed they have any doubts. A lot of the extreme negativity is enflamed by the extreme positivity. 

I'm glad someone brought this up.  I am sick of getting down voted every time I post something that shows my head isn't  lodged up Zach's behind. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PorP said:

Sure, some of the rhetoric surrounding Becton all offseason has been a bit extreme, but it doesn't make those posters any less fans. And it's not like there hasn't been reason to doubt Becton to date.

I doubt that the vast majority of posters making those comments would happily change their tune if Becton played at a high level for a full season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

For the record, and just in case there's anyone who can't tell, I don't actually think @T0mShane is a troll. I love and respect the dude, even if I don't always agree with him. I just make jokes at him because that's what I do, and, well, it's easy. I go for the low-hanging fruit, because us beavers can't reach the high-hanging fruit without gnawing the whole damn tree down, and that sh*t is exhausting. I make jokes rather than having smart football discussions, because I'm a dumb football guy.

As for the other stuff mentioned in this thread, T0m is right that there are those that can't tell the difference between a real troll like the numerous alts that pop up, and legitimate Jets fans that are just so beaten down that trend on the pessimistic side (I know, that's where I'm at half the time). Now, I think it's pretty clear to me that Slats was talking about the former, and not the latter, but the point remains that those real Jets fans frequently get caught in the crossfire by the more optimistically-slanted fans. Some of them, I might add, can also be annoying with their shticks, but don't as often catch as much flak or ridicule.

And people get way too defensive about sh*t these days, and that happens on both sides of the spectrum. Personally, I think when someone finds themselves getting that worked up over football opinions on an internet message board, they probably need to take a step back and either a) thicken their skin or 2) reevaluate their priorities.

Now, group hug in the shower room tonight! I want to finally get me some freshly squeezed @LemonTree.!

Well said. I was all in with Darnold and was prepared to die on that hill, and I did. After that when the JD drafted Wilson, there was no way I was going to blindly follow a guy with the amount of red flags I saw coming out of college but this isn't  really the point. I was relentlessly  attacked for not being lemming and blindly following the guy. Now we have a few posters like @Skeptable and @Joe W. Namath that are making what imo are crazily optimistic  posts based on what I think are unrealistic expectations, and when you bring this up, one down votes you and the other tells you you have a disease.  So I do think there is an issue on both ends. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

29 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Sure, some of the rhetoric surrounding Becton all offseason has been a bit extreme, but it doesn't make those posters any less fans. And it's not like there hasn't been reason to doubt Becton to date.

I doubt that the vast majority of posters making those comments would happily change their tune if Becton played at a high level for a full season.

I agree with you on the fans. 

I frankly don't know what I believe about Becton over the last year. So I wont add or detract from the doubt. 

But at that he showed up to camp ready,  so the doubt should have been past tense like you used in your post.  But the PUP list ... fat, lazy,  uncommitted ... turned out to be a precaution. 

He had a bad day at camp... fat, lazy uncommitted. 

So while I agree fans,  fans saying goofy stuff cause they can't find a valid argument gets old over the course of 5000 posts. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’m gonna air a grievance here. As you know, I’ve been posting on these godforsaken message boards for 30+ years. The tenor and tone of the “debates” that go on these past few years have turned so malicious and so toxic that a lot of good posters can’t even sign on (much less engage) anymore. You know me: I’m rarely disrespectful toward other people’s opinions and I’m all for some light-hearted debate, but it gets discouraging to sign on in the morning and have a bunch of notifications of posts that aren’t debate, but unfunny clowns calling you a troll and seeing that mods have liked that post. I don’t take it personally because 1. I invite those responses with my pessimism and 2. **** those guys, but the sheer volume of posters whose entire posting oeuvre is just them coming after and attacking anyone who has even the most mild critique of this Jets franchise is pathetic. Not to call him out because I generally like him, but when is the last time @Charlie Brown made an actual football post instead of incessant “diseased trolls” commentary? The more derision you’re met with, the more hostile the tone of any thread gets. Do you know how excited I was to see @Mogglez’s post engaging me *on the merits* of my recent Zach Wilson post? Pretty ******* excited. You, me, and Meddle used to engage like that on the old board. But now? Not so much. If the mods want to create a better vibe in these threads, you need to check the tone of the people coming after even those you don’t agree with. You’ve been around long enough. You know the difference between a troll and a long suffering Jets fan. Don’t lump them in together, and don’t start threads calling for the extermination of those posters because you’re just going to make things worse for everybody. 

@TomShane@Mogglez 

Hmmmmmm I'm not quite sure what "diseased troll" comment from me that you are referring to. :( 

I simply agreed with Shane that people randomly attacking folks because they are trying to get excited about the season should be avoided. 

I truly hope that I have not inadvertently ever attacked anyone ever on this board but if I have ever offended you by a post that I have made I hereby apologize.

Nevertheless, your ad hominem attack on me when I specifically mentioned without specificity that I was having a personal problem is simply puzzling.

Indeed, again as I stated before I have not been out here because my life is going through tremendous challenges and for you to essentially attack me because of this is, in my opinion, a little problematic.

But carry on........

I have big shoulders ...

Let's Go Jets :) 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

No one’s censoring, T0m. I was clear about that. This is a place to discuss what has certainly been a bad football team for some time. What’s going to get people into trouble is spamming threads with the same repetitive snark/meme/etc. or calling out or insulting fans who haven’t given up just yet. 

I believe I am being objective, and that I’m siding with the majority of fans here who have no idea what to expect this year but still have enough interest to follow the team in July because this is who they root for. That huge swath of fans here in the middle who understand the team’s past and recent history and have neither decided it’s always gonna be **** or never take off their green-tinted glasses.

Discussion is great. I’m always down for a discussion. That’s not what this thread is about, though. 

Thank you Slats…. Thank you! ?

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

@TomShane@Mogglez 

Hmmmmmm I'm not quite sure what "diseased troll" comment from me that you are referring to. :( 

I simply agreed with Shane that people randomly attacking folks because they are trying to get excited about the season should be avoided.  I hope that I have not inadvertently ever attacked anyone ever on this board but if I have ever offended you by a post that I have made I hereby apologize.

Nevertheless, your ad hominem attack on me when I specifically mentioned without specificity that I was having a personal problem is simply puzzling.

Indeed, again as I stated before I have not been out here because my life is going through tremendous challenges and for you to essentially attack me because of this is, in my opinion, a little problematic.

But carry on........

I have big shoulders ...

Let's Go Jets :) 

I’m not sure CB, I can only speak for myself but I’ve got no problems with you buddy! 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Well said. I was all in with Darnold and was prepared to die on that hill, and I did. After that when the JD drafted Wilson, there was no way I was going to blindly follow a guy with the amount of red flags I saw coming out of college but this isn't  really the point. I was relentlessly  attacked for not being lemming and blindly following the guy. Now we have a few posters like @Skeptable and @Joe W. Namath that are making what imo are crazily optimistic  posts based on what I think are unrealistic expectations, and when you bring this up, one down votes you and the other tells you you have a disease.  So I do think there is an issue on both ends. 

As far as Zach Wilson, I'm firmly in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp re: him being a good QB. Thus far, he's looked more bust than franchise QB. Despite all that, I am excited of the possibility of what he can do in this revamped offense. We'll soon see.

Skeptable can downvote all he wants, as far as I'm concerned. That never bothered me. And Joe W. Namath is doing what clearly looks like a bit, so I don't take him very seriously. He's clearly a special case.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, PorP said:

I agree with you on the fans. 

I frankly don't know what I believe about Becton over the last year. So I wont add or detract from the doubt. 

But at that he showed up to camp ready,  so the doubt should have been passed tense like you used in your post.  But the PUP list ... fat, lazy,  uncommitted ... turned out to be a precaution. 

He had a bad day at camp... fat, lazy uncommitted. 

So while I agree fans,  fans saying goofy stuff cause they can't find a valid argument gets old over the course of 5000 posts. 

Honestly, Becton isn't going to shed the doubt until he proves he can play for a full season, and I'm looking forward to seeing that. But, if he can't, or if he looks like he's struggling with this new scheme, then I'll be right there with the rest of them.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Just so we’re clear here, all of you are aware that you’re not actually on the team right 

Who’s we?

I single-handedly carried us to back to back AFC Championship games. You know how itchy a beared can get when you first grow it? Sorry but during both those games, I shaved it at half time. One man can only do so much.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

Who’s we?

I singlehandedly carried us to back to back AFC Championship games. You know how itchy a beared can get when you first grow it? Sorry but during both those games, I shaved it at half time. One man can only do so much.

I implored you not to shave.  And get that sombrero tattoo.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’m not sure CB, I can only speak for myself but I’ve got no problems with you buddy! 

I was surprised, I love Shane, and you were and have been our pipeline into the inner workings of the Jets, so how would I call either one of you a Troll??? :(