Jump to content

Deshaun Watson suspended 6 games


Rhg1084
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Seems to be a lot of misunderstanding here. The NFL’s new procedure for imposing discipline under the Personal Conduct Policy incorporates a Disciplinary Officer, who is jointly appointed and paid by the NFL and the NFL Players Association. The person retained for that position is former federal Judge Sue L. Robinson.

Robinson is a 3rd party former judge who oversaw the 3 day disciplinary hearing on Watson. She heard arguments from the NFL and NFLPA over the 3 day period, along with receiving some other written materials afterwards. Robinson then goes and reviews everything and determines if there is a violation of the NFLs personal conduct policy and if so how severe the punishment. 

After her ruling, the NFL or the NFLPA have the option to appeal. That appeal goes to Roger Goodell. 

A lot of unwarranted outrage here against the NFL. They did not make this decision, a 3rd party did. To me, it seems like the accusations and evidence wasn't nearly as strong as the media lead a lot here to believe. 

No. A six game suspension means Robinson found that Watson actually did at least some of what he was accused of. Watson's big argument (which she appears to have agreed with) was "even if I did, it would be unfair to suspend me for very long when you weren't harsh to owners who violated the personal conduct policy"

But let's wait to see what the actual decision says

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Seems to be a lot of misunderstanding here. The NFL’s new procedure for imposing discipline under the Personal Conduct Policy incorporates a Disciplinary Officer, who is jointly appointed and paid by the NFL and the NFL Players Association. The person retained for that position is former federal Judge Sue L. Robinson.

Robinson is a 3rd party former judge who oversaw the 3 day disciplinary hearing on Watson. She heard arguments from the NFL and NFLPA over the 3 day period, along with receiving some other written materials afterwards. Robinson then goes and reviews everything and determines if there is a violation of the NFLs personal conduct policy and if so how severe the punishment. 

After her ruling, the NFL or the NFLPA have the option to appeal. That appeal goes to Roger Goodell. 

A lot of unwarranted outrage here against the NFL. They did not make this decision, a 3rd party did. To me, it seems like the accusations and evidence wasn't nearly as strong as the media lead a lot here to believe. 

Sorry, one more thing on this: Per reports, the decision also includes an order that Watson only use team massage therapists from now on.

That very much does not sound like Robinson found he was falsely accused

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PorP said:

For clarity,  this is the NFL PA finding.  NFL still has the option to appeal for a longer suspension. 

I don't believe this is true. ESPN this morning said  the judge was appointed by both the NFL and the PA - so impartial.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're right, when it's all over he will have missed 23 games due to that mess in Houston. 
... let's see what the NFL does.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

No. A six game suspension means Robinson found that Watson actually did at least some of what he was accused of. Watson's big argument (which she appears to have agreed with) was "even if I did, it would be unfair to suspend me for very long when you weren't harsh to owners who violated the personal conduct policy"

But let's wait to see what the actual decision says

No. Quite the opposite. Her guidelines for punishment are the NFLs code of conduct policy, which is notoriously harsh against players. It's one of the big reasons why in the last CBA they came up with Robinsons position. 

6 games is nothing for what he was accused of. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not an expert on the NFL sanction process but doesn't the NFL have to appeal this decision if nothing else but to quell the likely massive criticism from such a light punishment?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

I don't believe this is true. ESPN this morning said  the judge was appointed by both the NFL and the PA - so impartial.

You are right.  I clarified later. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is gross. The absolute unwillingness of the league to adequately punish people who abuse women is appalling. Especially something on this scale. Anyone with a daughter involved in this situation should be ashamed. 

Calvin Ridley got an entire year for gambling. Guess it would've been better in the eyes of the NFL if he was a serial predator who took advantage of dozens of women.  

Give him the Trevor Bauer treatment. 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

Technically he lost a season and now a 1/3 due to the allegations.  

Good news is we don’t face him Week 2.

16 games this year WOULD HAVE appropriate.

Move on and let’s get back to football 

Fixed that for ya there.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

You're right, when it's all over he will have missed 23 games due to that mess in Houston. 

You know that you don't have to be deliberately obtuse, right? It doesn't do anything but make you look like an idiot.

Anyway, I'll just bookmark this for mockery when the final outcome drops

36 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

I don't believe this is true. ESPN this morning said  the judge was appointed by both the NFL and the PA - so impartial.

Yep - appointed by both. But the way the CBA works, once she finds there was a violation, the NFL can appeal her punishment to Goodell, and impose whatever it wants to. 

34 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

No. Quite the opposite. Her guidelines for punishment are the NFLs code of conduct policy, which is notoriously harsh against players. It's one of the big reasons why in the last CBA they came up with Robinsons position. 

6 games is nothing for what he was accused of. 

That's a lot of words for "I haven't followed any of the reporting on this", @bgivs21. Y'all know that ignorance can be corrected by reading, right? Google is right there for you. But here, let me help https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nflpa-plans-to-defend-deshaun-watson-from-suspension-by-targeting-nfl-owners-182756840.html

Anyway, THIS sounds to you like she thought he didn't do anything that bad?

34 minutes ago, jgb said:

Not an expert on the NFL sanction process but doesn't the NFL have to appeal this decision if nothing else but to quell the likely massive criticism from such a light punishment?

Pretty much. The decision comes down to whether they think it'll be a worse PR hit to keep this story in the news. I expect they'll appeal.

8 minutes ago, Grandy said:

This is gross. The absolute unwillingness of the league to adequately punish people who abuse women is appalling. Especially something on this scale. Anyone with a daughter involved in this situation should be ashamed. 

Calvin Ridley got an entire year for gambling. Guess it would've been better in the eyes of the NFL if he was a serial predator who took advantage of dozens of women.  

Give him the Trevor Bauer treatment. 

 

As others have pointed out, this wasn't the NFL's call, it was Judge Robinson. What happens next is all the NFL, though

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Doggin94it said:

You know that you don't have to be deliberately obtuse, right? It doesn't do anything but make you look like an idiot.

Anyway, I'll just bookmark this for mockery when the final outcome drops

Yep - appointed by both. But the way the CBA works, once she finds there was a violation, the NFL can appeal her punishment to Goodell, and impose whatever it wants to. 

That's a lot of words for "I haven't followed any of the reporting on this", @bgivs21. Y'all know that ignorance can be corrected by reading, right? Google is right there for you. But here, let me help https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nflpa-plans-to-defend-deshaun-watson-from-suspension-by-targeting-nfl-owners-182756840.html

Anyway, THIS sounds to you like she thought he didn't do anything that bad?

Pretty much. The decision comes down to whether they think it'll be a worse PR hit to keep this story in the news. I expect they'll appeal.

As others have pointed out, this wasn't the NFL's call, it was Judge Robinson. What happens next is all the NFL, though

Thanks for the explanations!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BTW, here's what comes next:

The NFL appeals.

The NFL reaches out to Watson's camp and lets them know they plan to hand down the suspension they asked for - indefinite, with no reinstatement for at least 1 year - unless Watson agrees to accept a 12 game ban with a $5M fine (which is reportedly what they offered in settlement talks before Robinson's decision). 

Watson says no, and we're off to the races

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Not surprised in the least ... watson's absense would destroy an ascending team ... NFL definitely doesnt want that.

It's pretty disgusting.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
 

I disagree here. You think the NFL would enjoy / be pleased with the optics if they are interviewing Watson after he was awarded a super bowl mvp?  Would be a PR nightmare. From what I saw, the NFL wanted a 12 game to a full season suspension. It would of been better for the NFL if another season would of passed before he started playing again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, extmenace said:

I disagree here. You think the NFL would enjoy / be pleased with the optics if they are interviewing Watson after he was awarded a super bowl mvp?  Would be a PR nightmare. From what I saw, the NFL wanted a 12 game to a full season suspension. It would of been better for the NFL if another season would of passed before he started playing again.

Like Rozelle having to award the Lombardi to Al Davis after the lawsuit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

You know that you don't have to be deliberately obtuse, right? It doesn't do anything but make you look like an idiot.

Anyway, I'll just bookmark this for mockery when the final outcome drops

I predicted a 6 game suspension a month ago, and I was proven right today. I don’t see the suspension being increased by the NFL commissioner. 

I too will make sure to bump this. 😉

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Beyond disappointed, but I can’t say I am surprised.  The NFL has one last chance to make this right and appeal.  Now let’s see if they do that.

NFL doesn’t have a leg to stand on because not one , but two grand juries refused to indict.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, extmenace said:

I disagree here. You think the NFL would enjoy / be pleased with the optics if they are interviewing Watson after he was awarded a super bowl mvp?  Would be a PR nightmare. From what I saw, the NFL wanted a 12 game to a full season suspension. It would of been better for the NFL if another season would of passed before he started playing again.

I really don't think the NFL cares but they are playing the odds here and in my opinion in on the whole result. The Browns are not a super bowl team and the nfl knows that - so your point of them not wanting to present a trophy this year is valid - but the NFL is smart enough to know that is not reality.

Now factor in the contract - 1 mil this year and 40 mil next. Even if the NFL wanted 12 games - it is a better optic but does not affect Deshawn monetarily in any way.

The NFL has played this perfectly (although disgusting) in if they decide to extend the suspension - it is for their benefit only and they come out looking like the good buy and tried to do the right thing.

Like I said disgusting - but expected. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yep 6 games is what i said. and its over. the NFL will not overrule this decision.

the NFL and the union both agreed to have Sue Robinson an ex-Judge give the punishment in this case. this was her 1st case so all this talk about what player got what games before has no meaning. Goodell made those rulings. 

and the NFL only gave her 4 or 5 cases. not all 26. someone said Watson should get a game for each woman... well he did. 

if Goodell appeals this he would be appealing it to himself. bad optics. he would be undermining a women Judge that he agreed would make these decisions. more bad optics. it would make any case Robinson hears from now on look like a sham. like he gets to pick and choose the decision he likes. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Yep.

And this is (partly) why I'm less interested in the NFL as a whole.

Same. I love football, but the corruption in both college and the NFL have really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Some may mock me for this, but I've started following the CFL this spring/summer, and I'm hooked. The pacing is fast, the rules are interesting, and the overall talent level is pretty solid. I'm enjoying it so far. And to my knowledge, the league doesn't appear to be a sewer like the NFL.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

My point is where is the same level of outrage??????

 

For example go on Rich Esien’s YouTube page and please tell me why is he ripping Watson more than a pimping owner? rich was literally laughing with a comedian on his show about Krafts crimes but with Watson it’s the worst thing he has ever seen…


 

You are a YouTuber how many times Watsons situation was mentioned in comparison to Dan Snyder?

There was a ton of outrage against Ben. I'd argue his is even worse because her friends tried to get into the bathroom and Ben's entourage wouldn't let them in. Watson's issues are bad too and deserve the outrage we are seeing but he is getting it more than Ben because of the prevalence of social media now vs then IMO.

In terms of Snyder, I think he should be forced to sell his team. He's been considered the worst owner in the NFL for years. The reason Watson got more attention is because he can throw a football and was a QB option for about 20+ teams at one point. Snyder can't get traded or impact other teams on the field.

Just my .02

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2021/09/12/deshaun-watson-texans-not-planning-to-play

gotcha, but the Texans chose not to play him to and allegations were a bit of a factor

It worked out for the NFL because they didn't have to confront his issues before last season but it's not like Watson was going to play for the Texans regardless of the allegations. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

... so essentially seeking and obtaining prostitution through massage therapy is approved by the league ? ... I think this could be more about Kraft and Isray not wanting to be dragged through the mud. We small people really have no clue what their kind of money can do.

Edited by Dunnie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not saying he didn't do anything wrong. However it has to be considered that the verifiable evidence against him must be weak. 

If the evidence is weak for whatever reason then it what t is. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Everyone looking to burn the nfl down because of this my question is why now???!

 

rapeBurger and pimping Snyder wasn't that bad huh????? 

The Karens who are obsessed with Watson getting a lifetime ban based on nonsense the grand jury wouldn’t even indict him on need to get a life

 

They can “fill in the gaps” watching Zach Wilson try to evolve into a mediocre game manager next year I guess

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lith locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...