Deshaun Watson suspended 6 games

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Every law enforcement or legal entity who spent any amount of time dealing with this case has all but thrown it to the curb. Hard to see Roger’s incentive to end up in federal court because Florio is ginning up some Twitter outrage. 

Roger's who has full control over the teams and their owners allowed the Browns to give him a salay that insured Watson profitted from his behavior.  Roger's is almost as creppy as Watson.  

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Roger's who has full control over the teams and their owners allowed the Browns to give him a salay that insured Watson profitted from his behavior.  Roger's is almost as creppy as Watson.  

True, but we already knew this. Listening to podcasts and reading articles, the current opinion is that Roger should step in and ban Watson for a season. These same people have screamed for years that Roger’s punishments have been capricious and arbitrary, and that the league needed an impartial disciplinary entity. Now that they have one, and the process has played out, they should just completely disregard that process? 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

True, but we already knew this. Listening to podcasts and reading articles, the current opinion is that Roger should step in and ban Watson for a season. These same people have screamed for years that Roger’s punishments have been capricious and arbitrary, and that the league needed an impartial disciplinary entity. Now that they have one, and the process has played out, they should just completely disregard that process? 

The process to punish Watson was negiotated with the players association and was handled by that process.

The NFL and the Commissioner have an obligation to the league,  Owners, Fans and players to maintain the reputation of the league.  The commissioner armed with lots of information should seperately punish the owners.   That has nothing to do with the process to deal with the players.  That's something that's actually in the Commissioners purview.   The Browns and Texans should be punished for their actions which were detrimental to the league and isn't covered under the Union contract.

LOL, keep up the great work, NFL

6 games * 4 Quarters = 24Q

Watson will miss 1Q of football for every woman he sexually assaulted

And that's just based on the women who came forward

I wonder if Goodell appeals.  The "new and improved" process is so stupid.  If the NFL appeals, the arbiter of the appeal is.... Goodell himself.

So if Goodell wants, he can appeal Judge Robinson's decision.  And he'd be appealing to himself.

• Upvote 2

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL, keep up the great work, NFL

6 games * 4 Quarters = 24Q

Watson is missing 1Q of football for every woman he sexually assaulted

And that's just based on the women who came forward

I wonder if Goodell appeals.  The "new and improved" process is so stupid.  If the NFL appeals, the arbiter of the appeal is.... Goodell himself.

So if Goodell wants, he can appeal Judge Robinson's decision.  And he'd be appealing to himself.

The “don’t blame the NFL” crowd are missing this point.  The process is all on the NFL.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Where are my sexual assault defender friends?  @Dwight Englewood? Anything to say?

Not a lawyer or enforcement in any way but if they acknowledge that he knew sexual contact was not wanted - isn’t that at least sexual assault?

if yes, then sex assault is behavior detrimental to the league and a 6 game suspension.

gambling is a year.

bizzare.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

For me it's a lot of chipping away at my viewership and support.  

I used to watch all day Sunday, Sunday night, Monday night etc - all appointment TV.

Now, it's pretty much gotten to the Jets for sure - and then if I'm around I'll watch - but certainly open to other plans or watching something more interesting.  More often than not now I watch the Jets and nothing else that week. 

Moreover, I don't watch any of the NFL Network/ESPN shows at all...

I'll do podcasts and come here for my info.  

The league and the media establishment behind have absolutely affected my viewership - made the game itself less enjoyable.  Maybe it's me getting old or maybe it's having to watch sexual predators celebrated and handed over a quarter of a billion dollars  Probably a little of both I guess.

I'm down to strictly Jets, I don't watch any other team unless I'm out somewhere with others.  The league and its games have become similar to reality television.  When I watch a game, I don't want to hear what gossip occurred that week ad nauseam or how player A has been through this/done that.

The media and social media are too mainstream nowadays that they generate talking points that get dragged on throughout games, and it certainly becomes tiresome.  Can't imagine what the coverage will be like surrounding Watson if he plays again.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Not what I got from her quote

and that is what is strange about her statements. she was suppose to check on the facts and seams to say she knows he did it. but yet they had the same facts in criminal court yet they didnt have enough evidence to charge him.

its almost like she knows the public will be upset at her decision so she is saying i believe he did it, yet she doesn't have enough evidence to give him more games. yet they can charge someone with just circumstantial evidence. which makes you wonder if there is such evidence why didnt he get charged in court.

her statement leaves more questions then answers. 

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

and that is what is strange about her statements. she was suppose to check on the facts and seams to say she knows he did it. but yet they had the same facts in criminal court yet they didnt have enough evidence to charge him.

Preponderance of evidence vs beyond a reasonable doubt. Not strange at all. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Preponderance of evidence vs beyond a reasonable doubt. Not strange at all. 

This. It's the difference between "you probably sexually assaulted them" (you lose a civil suit) and "you certainly sexually assaulted them" (you go to jail) 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Listen this clown already paid off 20 something women which proves he's guilty. This isn't right man, it's just not right. He shouldn't be rewarded with an NFL career and millions of dollars.BS!!!

66 different women over 17 months? Now the browns are saying he can only have team approved masseuses? If over 30 women accused me of whipping my dick out in front of them I'd be in jail.

He only loses six $345K gamechecks too.  A drop in the bucket compared to the value of his contract. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, k-met57 said:

wild...

Hopkins 6 games for PED

Ridley a year for gambling on his own team while out

Watson - 24 lawsuits, 60 possible allegations 6 games and 300k in lost salary

at least the NFL has its priorities

This. They really need to figure their sh*t out. 

33 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

This. It's the difference between "you probably sexually assaulted them" (you lose a civil suit) and "you certainly sexually assaulted them" (you go to jail) 

I just read up on the Darren Sharper case (which seemed somewhat similar) and sexual assaulting someone while they are passed out is not considered a violent crime in California- which is crazy. I'm assuming this is similar to what this judge was ruling.

5 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

She gave him 6 games because it was "non-violent"

Also just to add, on this specific tip, the judge defaults to all the classic tropes, where she concedes that his behavior endangered the safety and well-being of his victims, and that they were fearful of what he might do, but his actions were still non-violent. 16 pages of Brock Turner nonsense.

It’s a surprising ruling but it also isn’t. It’s what you expect a local Missoula judge to write when the star QB for Montana pops for rape, not a federal ******* judge. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Where are my sexual assault defender friends?  @Dwight Englewood? Anything to say?

All this, but then some of them willfully rebooked subsequent jobs with him as I undestand. 

I don't like it, the whole thing is nasty, but there's media sensationalizing happening and. I say that through a lens where part of my job is to conduct investigations that tread water in this space. There's a problem with Watson taking advantage of his status to even put people in this awful spot (or the sense thereof)... but it's just not as straight forward as some are suggesting... otherwise, he'd be in jail right now.

This process, and the determination have to be something which can be objectively replicated in other instances  moving forward. It's tough to leverage in optics to influence precedence and case law.  

The whole things is a mess.