Deshaun Watson suspended 6 games

Just now, Matt39 said:

Doesnt Goodell have the final say regardless? Just suspend him for the year or indefinitely and revisit it then. 

Yeah but it's a weird process. The NFL appeals not Goddell and then it goes to him or his designee. Goodell can then impose whatever punishment  he wants. Since the NFL will be sued, he could choose a designee that will adjust to at a minimum what Goodell wants which is indefinitely. Apply in a year. The NFLPA  has like zero  chance to win in court but 2 interesting things.

One, Watson almost definitely plays against us.

Two it would push the start of the suspension at least to half season as at a minimum it could cost Watson $20 million more 

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yeah but it's a weird process. The NFL appeals not Goddell and then it goes to him or his designee. Goodell can then impose whatever punishment  he wants. Since the NFL will be sued, he could choose a designee that will adjust to at a minimum what Goodell wants which is indefinitely. Apply in a year. The NFLPA  has like zero  chance to win in court but 2 interesting things.

One, Watson almost definitely plays against us.

Two it would push the start of the suspension at least to half season as at a minimum it could cost Watson $20 million more 

The NFLPA shouldnt be defending Watson. The guy is a more popular Darren Sharper.

18 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The NFLPA shouldnt be defending Watson. The guy is a more popular Darren Sharper.

They are legally obligated to defend him in when it comes to punishment imposed by the league.  If they didn’t Watson could could sue the NFLPA.  

Same reason why you see police unions etc defending dirty cops on suspensions etc, but not in the actual criminal trials. 

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

We’ll most likely be playing against Watson week 2. 

There’s a lot that goes into this.

If he and the union appeal Goodell’s ruling, which they almost definitely will lose, he’s going to lose a significant amount of money serving his suspension next year, as opposed to this year.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

There’s a lot that goes into this.

If he and the union appeal Goodell’s ruling, which they almost definitely will lose, he’s going to lose a significant amount of money serving his suspension next year, as opposed to this year.

And yet, most expect the union to appeal, correct? 

people are talking like a Watson appeal is a foregone conclusion once Goodell lays the hammer down. 

37 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

They are legally obligated to defend him in when it comes to punishment imposed by the league.  If they didn’t Watson could could sue the NFLPA.  

Same reason why you see police unions etc defending dirty cops on suspensions etc, but not in the actual criminal trials. 

Right - well, this is why unions can piss off a lot of people. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Feels like that would be a tough haul for the league in court, denying Watson the ability to work for an indefinite period of time based on vibes.

I don’t know - my impression is Goodell has basically unlimited authority to impose the punishment he wants. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Feels like that would be a tough haul for the league in court, denying Watson the ability to work for an indefinite period of time based on vibes.

1.  The minimum they are seeking is, reportedly, one year.  He can then file for reinstatement.

2.  Sue Robinson’s full report is pretty much the nail in the coffin for Deshaun.  She fully admits that the NFL made their case, she believes he did what he is accused of, and that the only reason she gave the league a recommendation of 6 games is there is no set precedent.

3.  The CBA that the NFLPA agreed to pretty much makes Goodell judge, jury, and executioner.  This already played out with deflategate.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

1.  The minimum they are seeking is, reportedly, one year.  He can then file for reinstatement.

2.  Sue Robinson’s full report is pretty much the nail in the coffin for Deshaun.  She fully admits that the NFL made their case, she believes he did what he is accused of, and that the only reason she gave the league a recommendation of 6 games is there is no set precedent.

3.  The CBA that the NFLPA agreed to pretty much makes Goodell judge, jury, and executioner.  This already played out with deflategate.

This seems to be as ironclad as it gets - which makes me suspect that Watson somehow wins, ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

One year plus indefinite is an indeterminate period of time. It’s not simply “one year.” At this point, we agree that Deshaun is pretty effing guilty. Sue Robinson gave him six games because that literally was the precedent, though she states that Deshaun’s violations were unprecedented. Her recommendation was for Goodell to get his sh*t formally together so this doesn’t happen again. Apparently, the PA is going to defend Watson by doing a greatest hits of all of Goodell’s prior disciplinary cluster****s and making the league defend each of those, at least publicly, while Watson is possibly out there playing football on opening day, which is a disaster for the league. 

If you’re interested, here is an interesting conversation between Mina Kimes and Nora Princiotti, who have both been pretty vocal about Watson needing to pay the price. Interesting bits about what punishment, at this point, could actually serve the interest of justice. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-mina-kimes-show-featuring-lenny/id1437647915?i=1000574827048

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

One year plus indefinite is an indeterminate period of time. It’s not simply “one year.” At this point, we agree that Deshaun is pretty effing guilty. Sue Robinson gave him six games because that literally was the precedent, though she states that Deshaun’s violations were unprecedented. Her recommendation was for Goodell to get his sh*t formally together so this doesn’t happen again. Apparently, the PA is going to defend Watson by doing a greatest hits of all of Goodell’s prior disciplinary cluster****s and making the league defend each of those, at least publicly, while Watson is possibly out there playing football on opening day, which is a disaster for the league. 

If you’re interested, here is an interesting conversation between Mina Kimes and Nora Princiotti, who have both been pretty vocal about Watson needing to pay the price. Interesting bits about what punishment, at this point, could actually serve the interest of justice. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-mina-kimes-show-featuring-lenny/id1437647915?i=1000574827048

Thank you for posting that, I’ll definitely give it a listen!

Before then, we can both agree that the NFL and Goodell are still morally corrupt clowns and the skeletons are going to come out in court, but I can’t imagine they didn’t already know that was going to happen before they made the official motion to appeal.  Watson is pretty much cooked regardless because the CBA allows Roger to do whatever he wishes, and it’s clear, at this point, no matter what anyone else feels, all of this pretty much cements that they have no interest in letting him play for a long time, maybe ever again, even if it means stuff that they botched in the past coming out.

It should be also noted that he can also be put on the exempt list, which wouldn’t shock me in the least bit.

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Thank you for posting that, I’ll definitely give it a listen!

Before then, we can both agree that the NFL and Goodell are still morally corrupt clowns and the skeletons are going to come out in court, but I can’t imagine they didn’t already know that was going to happen before they made the official motion to appeal.  Watson is pretty much cooked regardless because the CBA allows Roger to do whatever he wishes, and it’s clear, at this point, no matter what anyone else feels, all of this pretty much cements that they have no interest in letting him play for a long time, maybe ever again, even if it means stuff that they botched in the past coming out.

It should be also noted that he can also be put on the exempt list, which wouldn’t shock me in the least bit.

We agree that Goodell is an amoral scourge, so why do we think he’ll ban Watson for a second more than what is aesthetically expedient? There was a report that the league had offered to settle with Watson, giving him a 12 game suspension and a $9 million dollar fine. Watson turned it down pre-Robinson verdict. I think the PA is going to go to the mattresses on this because Roger is making a mockery of the one check on his disciplinary authority that they’ve been asking for forever. My guess is that the 12 game offer ends up back on the table at some point before they get to the legal bloodshed stage. 

Side note: You have to wonder if Houston PD or associated legal entities would reconsider pursuing charges against Watson, given how Robinson ruled on the case. Seems absurd that everyone is looking for a snake like Roger Goodell to be the one to make this right. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the PA is going to go to the mattresses on this because Roger is making a mockery of the one check on his disciplinary authority that they’ve been asking for forever.

If the PA didn't want Goodell to be the ultimate decider, they should probably stop signing off on deals that says that he can do what he is doing. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

We’ll most likely be playing against Watson week 2. 

Well it depends on the ultimate suspension. If it is 12 games, do you think the PA appeals and allows for a potential suspension to last into the playoffs or next year? 

I think the only way they appeal is if it is an indefinite suspension. At that point, they would really have no other option. 

• Upvote 1