For all of those freaking out Becton was beaten by the likes of Tim Ward

Sorry OP but I suspect you're being too generous.  From what I read and understand the entire CS has been concerned to very concerned with Becton.  IMHO it would be the height of insanity to put him in a position where he'd be more likely to fail.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

Sorry OP but I suspect your being too generous.  From what I read and understand the entire CS has been concerned to very concerned with Becton.  IMHO it would be the height of insanity to put him in a position where he'd be more likely to fail.  

What do you mean from what you have read? Do you actually think anyone on the Jets CS has said anything to the media that means anything? I'm pretty sure I have read all the same stuff and everything I have read is opinion. Mike Greenberg did a whole piece on Becton based on what the coaches were not saying. This is the type of reporting we get on the Jets. 

• Upvote 2

The Becton reports out of camp right now read exactly as they did a year ago.

He’s getting repeatedly beaten by dudes who may not even make the final roster.

There were also reports of him bent over and laboring on the sideline 30 minutes into practice.

The dudes endurance is sh*t and so far his durability has been sh*t.

There are legitimate concerns about Becton.

A year ago many of us thought we had Ogden 2.0 on our hands and now we don’t even know if the guy will still be on the roster next year.

Unless he fully commits himself and stays in decent shape year round, his career will be a short one.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

There were also reports of him bent over and laboring on the sideline 30 minutes into practice.

A year ago many of us thought we had Ogden 2.0 on our hands and now we don’t even know if the guy will still be on the roster next year.

Unless he fully commits himself and stays in decent shape year round, his career will be a short one.

Can you post that report about Becton being bent over on the sideline after 30 minutes? Didn't see that. All I saw on the first day was Hughes saying Becton looked gassed. Haven't  seen that description since. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Sorry OP but I suspect your being too generous.  From what I read and understand the entire CS has been concerned to very concerned with Becton.  IMHO it would be the height of insanity to put him in a position where he'd be more likely to fail.  

Who?  I haven’t read that from anyone I care about. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Haven’t read any of this.  30 minutes?  

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Can you post that report about Becton being bent over on the sideline after 30 minutes? Didn't see that. All I saw on the first day was Hughes saying Becton looked gassed. Haven't  seen that description since. 

I think it was the first day. Not sure it was 30 minutes, not sure he was bent over but he did have to take a knee and a breather. Hope that helps. 

Like any player he will get better when he gets in football shape. If he gets in football shake you say? Exactly. Let’s go Mekhi!!! We need you big Poppa!!!!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Where did you see that the coaches are concerned?   I read quotes from Lafleur yesterday that he was doing great and they were very happy with him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Can you post that report about Becton being bent over on the sideline after 30 minutes? Didn't see that. All I saw on the fiest day was Hughes saying Becton looked gassed. Haven't  seen that description since. 

Cimini and Hughes posted it on Twitter on either the first or second day of camp.

People may say that it was just a case of being back on the field for the first time in a while, but none of the other OL seemed to be bent over and sucking wind.

If we’re going to go through some game where Becton balloons up to over 400 lbs every offseason just to try and shed a bunch of weight in June/July, then that’s a big problem and I could easily see that happening.

I hope that I’m wrong and after doing a bang up job on the right side this year, he turns out to be our pro-bowl LT for the next decade.

But I’m not counting on it

Just now, The Crusher said:

I think it was the first day. Not sure it was 30 minutes, not sure he was bent over but he did have to take a knee and a breather. Hope that helps. 

Like any player he will get better when he gets in football shape. If he gets in football shake you say? Exactly. Let’s go Mekhi!!! We need you big Poppa!!!!

Yes,  I read that he was gassed. Not he was bent over and not after 30 minutes. 

Just now, Untouchable said:

Cimini and Hughes posted it on Twitter on either the first or second day of camp.

People may say that it was just a case of being back on the field for the first time in a while, but none of the other OL seemed to be bent over and sucking wind.

If we’re going to go through some game where Becton balloons up to over 400 lbs every offseason just to try and shed a bunch of weight in June, then that’s a big problem and I could easily see that happening.

I hope that I’m wrong and after doing a bang up job on the right side this year, he turns out to be our pro-bowl LT for the next decade.

But I’m not counting on it

Can you post it? Twitter feeds have hundreds of posts? I mean you are saying this. If this is true that he was bent over dying, that isn't something I have seen and not after 30 minutes. Everything about Becton is posted here and something like that would have gotten its  own thread. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Yes,  I read that he was gassed. Not he was bent over and not after 30 minutes. 

I have transitional lenses that I have to angle my head like a fat parrot to read  my cell phone. I’ve been wrestling with getting contacts for couple years now but the idea of putting little tiny foldable delicate lenses in my eyes with my massive sausage fingers is giving me pause. 

• Haha 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Can you post it? Twitter feeds have hundreds of posts? I mean you are saying this. If this is true that he was bent over dying, that isn't something I have seen and not after 30 minutes. Everything about Becton is posted here and something like that would have gotten its  own thread. 

They killed Mekhi?

622C1C99-B1C8-4769-8FDA-9210E5891368.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

That’s all I could find. Not “bent over and sucking wind”, but none of the other 300+ lb OL or DL needed a breather after the opening segment of practice.

OP I think we have a time line issue.  My time line included him not returning to the active list after 6 weeks, him showing up 30lbs overweight, and him being gassed way too soon after the first days practice began. 

I said I read and understood that the CS was concerned etc.  What I was referring to were quotes I read by the CS re Becton during this entire period as well as my own takes on things I've heard the CS saying. 

I could be dead wrong but my take is that they are or ought to be concerned etc.         

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

That’s all I could find. Not “bent over and sucking wind”, but none of the other 300+ lb OL or DL needed a breather after the opening segment of practice.

Yes, we all read that. That is very different than what you wrote. This was also on the first day. He hasn't  had this issue since. 

It’s no secret that Becton looked out of shape at the OTAs. I think he surprised about 90% of the people here (me included, tbh) when he was off the PUP list in less than a day. I would’ve thought that weight loss training would’ve included a lot of conditioning, but it’s also clear that he needs to get into football shape. 

Right now he and the guard next to him are adjusting to working on the other side of the OL, and I’m sure that’s having an effect, too. To the OP, we’ve heard reports of LaFluer trying things in practice just to see how it goes, including play calls that he’d never consider in a game. So they could be pushing the big man in ways that they might not ask him to in games, but I have no evidence either way. I do agree that I’ll worry more if/when I see him flunking in the preseason. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Yes, we all read that. That is very different than what you wrote. This was also on the first day. He hasn't  had this issue since. 

Aside from him kneeling instead of bent over at the waist, how is this drastically different than what I wrote?

28 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

To be fair, and not defending Becton, but Cimini has had a hard on for the guy since Day 1...

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

To be fair, and not defending Becton, but Cimini has had a hard on for the guy since Day 1...

For good reason. Becton has shown no tangible signs of wanting to be a good football player and so why should anyone come to his defense other than rabid fans. He posts positive shlt on twitter, has a nice tag line but I believe he is not long for the league as a top player.  He is a 1st round pick being manhandled in practice.  Let the kool aid drinkers neg rep me. But the closer we get to September, well the truth will rear it's head. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Actually your 30 minute time on it happening is what I was most questioning

These practices have all ran about an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half long.

If he was getting winded during positional drills, then it’s safe to assume that it was within the first 30 minutes.

31 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

No matter how good of shape you’re in, actually practicing football will gas you.  Especially o-line. 
Thete’s in shape and there’s football shape.

He’ll be fine after a week or two of practice.

Yes, I remember this happening to Brick and Mangold quite a bit too. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

These practices have all ran about an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half long.

If he was getting winded during positional drills, then it’s safe to assume that it was within the first 30 minutes.

Yeah,  I take anything from Cimini with a grain of salt. To him early might be 10 minutes before practice ended. 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I played organized sports as a kid as I am sure many here have as well. The one sport I had the most coaching in was basketball and the coaching was on defense. My coach would tell me to do certain things on D that I never did before like cheating to the middle of the court and essentially  giving the player the outside lane. What he was doing ( he told me this later) was he wanted to see how fast I was laterally ( I wasn't  fast enough) and he made me do this all the time and I got beat all the time and I was a starter. When we played real games he never told me to do this. 

My point is, this is practice. In practice coaches put players in uncomfortable  situations to see how they respond. I don't  know if this was what happened between the CS, Becton, and Ward, but this isn't  something to freak out about. If we see in the first preseason  game, Becton is getting beaten like a drum, yeah, that is a time to worry but in immortal  words of Allen Iverson,  This is practice. 

Really good post. Really good.

Id suggest a lot of you start ignoring the tweets that show training camp stats, as well. This concept is laughable. (I’m looking at you, Connor Hughes.)

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Please post your references, thank you. 

12 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Yes, I remember this happening to Brick and Mangold quite a bit too. 

When did either Brick or Mangold have a camp where they were coming off a lost season where they didn’t play for a year?  
Do you think the amount of coverage and it’s Twitter tone is the same today as it was 16 years ago? 

We’ve taken a tweet that said Becton was breathing heavy in between sets to he tapped out after a half hour.  

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I played organized sports as a kid as I am sure many here have as well. The one sport I had the most coaching in was basketball and the coaching was on defense. My coach would tell me to do certain things on D that I never did before like cheating to the middle of the court and essentially  giving the player the outside lane. What he was doing ( he told me this later) was he wanted to see how fast I was laterally ( I wasn't  fast enough) and he made me do this all the time and I got beat all the time and I was a starter. When we played real games he never told me to do this. 

My point is, this is practice. In practice coaches put players in uncomfortable  situations to see how they respond. I don't  know if this was what happened between the CS, Becton, and Ward, but this isn't  something to freak out about. If we see in the first preseason  game, Becton is getting beaten like a drum, yeah, that is a time to worry but in immortal  words of Allen Iverson,  This is practice. 

Exactly.

It’s like pitchers in the baseball exhibition season.  They get shelled and then you find out they were working on a new pitch