For all of those freaking out Becton was beaten by the likes of Tim Ward

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

That’s all I could find. Not “bent over and sucking wind”, but none of the other 300+ lb OL or DL needed a breather after the opening segment of practice.

So we’ve never seen a football practice, never saw players moving in and out of positional drills and take a knee. 

I am not a strength and conditioning expert, but I would have to think that the process of trying to shed a massive amount of weight quickly is not necessarily consistent with getting strong and getting into football shape.  There is no way he did not just lose fat-you will lose muscle and other tissue as well.  The last minute weight loss could pose an injury risk.  

JD passing on Teven Jenkins, despite the OL need, seems to be the smart move and good scouting.  He does not appear to have his act together.  The Jets are slowing rising in the NFL hierarchy of teams that have their acts together, but the Bears appear to definitely be descending at a rapid rate.  It is hard to get players like Riley Reiff on good deals when there are teams like the Bears willing to pay him.  The Moses signing last year was very, very lucky.   The Jets should have paid him what the Ravens did, but we could not guarantee him a starting spot.  

• Sympathy 1

You guys are working way too hard in defense of Becton. If he was what you thought he was, he’d be showing you that right now. Instead, it’s just excuse after excuse after excuse. Remember when he couldn’t block anyone last week because he didn’t have shoulder pads on? 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So we’ve never seen a football practice, never saw players moving in and out of positional drills and take a knee. 

And hasn't been reported to take a knee since. Live in the now man....

Where is the negative report button....

J/K man... in case it's not obvious

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You guys are working way too hard in defense of Becton. If he was what you thought he was, he’d be showing you that right now. Instead, it’s just excuse after excuse after excuse. Remember when he couldn’t block anyone last week because he didn’t have shoulder pads on? 

Maybe so, but it’s still way too early for any judgement on the only starting OT participating fully. I mean, for some folks. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

OP I think we have a time line issue.  My time line included him not returning to the active list after 6 weeks, him showing up 30lbs overweight, and him being gassed way too soon after the first days practice began. 

I said I read and understood that the CS was concerned etc.  What I was referring to were quotes I read by the CS re Becton during this entire period as well as my own takes on things I've heard the CS saying. 

I could be dead wrong but my take is that they are or ought to be concerned etc.         

With all due respect, you really haven't added any new factual information to the discussion. You were worried before and youre still worried. Ok.

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I'm not seeing a "defense" of Becton, merely people wondering what new information is triggering the latest anxiety. It seems there isn't any. Rather the opposite -- coaches saying theyre pleased with his progress. That can be dismissed, but it's not negative by any means.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I played organized sports as a kid as I am sure many here have as well. The one sport I had the most coaching in was basketball and the coaching was on defense. My coach would tell me to do certain things on D that I never did before like cheating to the middle of the court and essentially  giving the player the outside lane. What he was doing ( he told me this later) was he wanted to see how fast I was laterally ( I wasn't  fast enough) and he made me do this all the time and I got beat all the time and I was a starter. When we played real games he never told me to do this. 

My point is, this is practice. In practice coaches put players in uncomfortable  situations to see how they respond. I don't  know if this was what happened between the CS, Becton, and Ward, but this isn't  something to freak out about. If we see in the first preseason  game, Becton is getting beaten like a drum, yeah, that is a time to worry but in immortal  words of Allen Iverson,  This is practice. 

I'm the son of a former baseball coach.  The only time the coach put a player in a position he/she was not good at is when there were no other alternatives.  Same goes for practicing.  No need to practice what you wont be doing much of.  And... "Don't practice your ideal position until you can get things right.  You practice until you cant it it wrong"

However... If you recall, Rex Ryan had a unique coaching component that the players seemed to get a lot out of.  He'd have players practice at other positions at many practices.  But, this was not done to train a LB to be a CB.  It was mostly done to give the players an appreciation for what other positions have to do on the filed, so they could better understand the big picture better. 

In this case with Becton, who knows what is really going on at this point.  The circumstantial evidence points to the entire CS having doubts about him.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

A year ago many of us thought we had Ogden 2.0 on our hands and now we don’t even know if the guy will still be on the roster next year.

Not me.  Leading up to the draft, I was adamant that the Jets should stay away from Becton.  I wanted Andrew Thomas or Wirfs. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

When did either Brick or Mangold have a camp where they were coming off a lost season where they didn’t play for a year?  
Do you think the amount of coverage and it’s Twitter tone is the same today as it was 16 years ago? 

We’ve taken a tweet that said Becton was breathing heavy in between sets to he tapped out after a half hour.  

We'll see come October when Becton's new name is "Sack my QB"

34 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I'm the son of a former baseball coach.  The only time the coach put a player in a position he/she was not good at is when there were no other alternatives.  Same goes for practicing.  No need to practice what you wont be doing much of.  And... "Don't practice your ideal position until you can get things right.  You practice until you cant it it wrong"

However... If you recall, Rex Ryan had a unique coaching component that the players seemed to get a lot out of.  He'd have players practice at other positions at many practices.  But, this was not done to train a LB to be a CB.  It was mostly done to give the players an appreciation for what other positions have to do on the filed, so they could better understand the big picture better. 

In this case with Becton, who knows what is really going on at this point.  The circumstantial evidence points to the entire CS having doubts about him.  

Ok, let me say I was on the team for my offense (SF). I could play D but that wasn't  what got me on the team. Different coaches have different philosophies.  We did practice our sets which for me was easy. The defensive drills were much harder and I did get something out of what he did. 

9 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

We'll see come October when Becton's new name is "Sack my QB"

That would suck.  Especially since that was never a concern before 
But doesn’t change my point that media coverage based on tweets aren’t what we were going by 16 years ago.  

14 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Different coaches have different philosophies.  

Agree fully.  And all of those different philosophies can be effective or not.  Hundreds of moving parts in a constantly changing landscape.  

Good performance is more a common matter of how fanatical the effort is.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I've seen way to many fat, lazy, NFL players have great seasons to write Becton off based on TC.  

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Mods - please take the necessary actions to get this poster's mind right.

8 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah,  I take anything from Cimini with a grain of salt. To him early might be 10 minutes before practice ended. 

You said "Yeah" but then you disagreed with the guy's point.  The way these practices run, you probably are going to get gassed earlier rather than later.  Has there been any major change from warm up, stretch, conditioning so drills, positional stuff and then team stuff?  As it was, so shall it be

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

You said "Yeah" but then you disagreed with the guy's point.  The way these practices run, you probably are going to get gassed earlier rather than later.  Has there been any major change from warm up, stretch, conditioning so drills, positional stuff and then team stuff?  As it was, so shall it be

Ok, but I don't  get what the issue with the word Yeah is?