Can Zach achieve a level of consistency?

Yes another Zach thread.

I think the divide over Zach amongst the fanbase is about 1 key element: consistency

Sure, passer rating/completion % is a function of consistency but those stats can also be a function of the team. It’s about is Zach consistently putting the ball quickly where it needs to be. Whether you think he’ll be a bust or will eventually be good, this is the main focus right now. So to all the Jets fans on both sides of the divide, you will not ascertain this from training camp, preseason, or even the first handful of games this year. I just get the sense Zach will take longer to get comfortable than most.

He was not comfortable early in his BYU career and almost lost the starting job. Once he did get comfortable, he began to dominate and consistently place the ball where it needed to be. Many say the competition sucked and that made him look good. While I agree to an extent, whether it’s against good competition, bums or air, you still need to make the throws. Many of us watched every throw he made his last year in BYU. We didn’t see any “Yips” or consistency issues, he was just comfortable and firing. 

Will Zach ever reach that level of comfort to achieve the consistency we need out of him? Who knows, but it clearly won’t be a quick process. Evidence suggests he is a bit of a slow adapter. Keep in mind his rookie season was very fragmented due to his injury and, after he came back, MC, Moore and Davis injuries as well. He didn’t really have that time to develop chemistry with these guys. I have a sneaking suspicion once he really starts leaning on these guys, he’ll relax in the pocket and just get it out quick to them. He’s just too tense back there sometimes now. 

Many people point to his ~56% completion rate last year as an issue. This in and of itself is not really an issue, like I said, it was also a function of the team. We’ve see many rookie qbs all over the nfl throw for less than 60% before elevating above it. The key is I don’t think he was some horrific passer. We’ve seen what bad passers look like, the likes of Tebow and Hackenburg couldn’t hit water if they fell out a boat. I don’t see Zach in this category. He made some impressive pinpoint passes last year during games that only a few other QBs would even have attempted. Again, the key is consistency and I just believe it has more to do with his comfort level and acclimation than anything else.

So I pose this question to Jets fans (and not to turn this into a “Zach is great” or Zach sucks” thread): When (if ever) will he achieve that level of comfort and acclimation that will naturally allow his consistency to greatly increase? It could be week 3, it could be never and he’s a bust. Love to hear how fellow Jets fans feel or if you think I’m totally off base and it’s something else that’s wrong with him.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Can he? Yes. 

Could he? Absolutely. 

Should he? Sure. 

Will he? You betcha. 

Won't he? Never. 

Tuesday Morning Dog GIF by Sealed With A GIF

I followed until you hit me with two negatives on the last line.

gonna take me all day to figure it out.

• Haha 1

I think you mean can he improve?

Based on camp reports, he sounds like the same player he was a year ago or 6 months ago.  That's consistency.

The problem is neither the coaching staff nor the player are even willing to acknowledge the specific areas of weakness.  The first step in getting better at anything is to actually (correctly) identify the problem(s).

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 4

Zach Wilson’s inconsistent training camp continues with rough Jets practice

Brian Costello

Zach Wilson had a rough end to Monday’s practice. 

The Jets quarterback went 0-for-4 during a competition period against the first-team defense and the starting offense went three-and-out twice. 

It was not all on Wilson. He was under pressure on some of the plays, but his throws weren’t accurate and the offense fell flat. Jets coach Robert Saleh chose to credit the defense, crediting a tackle for loss by safety Jordan Whitehead for blowing up the first series. 

“I felt the defense was on fire,” Saleh said. “I’ll go the other way with it. I’ve spoken about Jordan Whitehead. First play of that scrimmage, he does a great job with pre-snap communication, shoots his gap, 2-yard loss. It’s pretty much a dead drive from there. I thought the defense was very precise and made it very hard on them. Give credit to them.” 

Wilson started Monday off with a beautiful deep pass to Elijah Moore for a 70-yard touchdown. But Wilson has been inconsistent so far in training camp. The Jets have raved about Wilson’s growth in Year 2. Saleh defended his quarterback on Monday from criticism. 

“I know from a practice standpoint, we are under a microscope for every little thing that all the quarterbacks do,” Saleh said. “Some of it’s good, some of it’s bad. When we get to games and we get to scrimmages and we get to intersquad practices and we get to preseason games, I think people will see that he’s taken a step. Dissecting every play by him, play in and play out, especially in this market, is a very, very difficult thing to live up to. … I think he’s already taken those steps. I think he’s gotten a lot better and I think in due time people are really going to see it.” 

Offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur heaped praise on RT Mekhi Becton. 

“I’ve been super pleased with Mekhi and on top of it, it’s one, just good to get him back out there. Just to have him on the football field,” LaFleur said. “I mean he is, as I’ve said so many times, he’s just a massive, massive human being, and if he can just be out there every single day like he has been and just battling and battling like all of the other guys to get himself prepared to play in the preseason. But obviously, ultimately, to get him prepared to play Baltimore [in the season opener]. It’s been good and it helps the Jets for sure that he’s out there.”

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Report him. Negatives are a bannable offense. 

The point is - this story and subsequent article has been posted on this site  times already.  It's only purpose to start another thread on it are two fold.

1) The thread starter wants to be cool too

2) The thread starter is a troll

Simply address the issues concerned in one of the many, many, many threads here attacking Zach Wilson.  They're not hard to find.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur heaped praise on RT Mekhi Becton. 

Nice to see LeFleur has a sense of humor.   I see what he did there.  

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The point is - this story and subsequent article has been posted on this site  times already.  It's only purpose to start another thread on it are two fold.

1) The thread starter wants to be cool too

2) The thread starter is a troll

Simply address the issues concerned in one of the many, many, many threads here attacking Zach Wilson.  They're not hard to find.

Take a chill pill. You're flipping out about a string of jokes from not the person who started the thread. Not everything is a part of the crusades on here. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Can he? Of course 

will be? TBD

Zach will survive a while because he will make a big play or throw every now and then followed by inconsistency. The talent is there, it just needs to be harnessed

You just perfectly described the first 2-3 years of an all-time great, future Super Bowl winning QB, who had a 59.6 career completion %. Take a guess who I'm referencing.

• Upvote 1

The better teams/coaches will basically keep Zach in the pocket and take away his deep ball.  If he has to dump it off/throw short, accurate passes, he will bounce them.  Thankfully, in the NFL only half the teams can do that or figure that out.  

This is why MW and JF are on the roster.  If ZW is bouncing passes in games, he and we are done. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

You just perfectly described the first 2-3 years of an all-time great, future Super Bowl winning QB, who had a 59.6 career completion %. Take a guess who I'm referencing.

Idk.... but if you would have written the same thing and had 50.1% career comp....

Well then I would have said don't tell his fur coat 👿

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Brad Johnson?

Trent Dilfer?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Take a chill pill. You're flipping out about a string of jokes from not the person who started the thread. Not everything is a part of the crusades on here. 

Nah.  Same sh*t over and over again by the same handful of people.  

Go to the Zach Wilson sucks threads and continue to post about how he'll never be consistent - and he's a bust and how great Mike White is - it's fine, we just don't need any more threads on the same topic.

If there's some new reason to bash Zach Wilson please then create a new thread....but until then just take to the dozens that already exist.

• Upvote 1

The arm strength, quick release, and mobility are all great. 

If he can improve his accuracy and decision-making, he can be here for 15 years. Huge IF tho. Our crappy history says it’s a pipe dream. But I like to dream . . . 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If he can improve his accuracy and decision-making, he can be here for 15 years. Huge IF tho. Our crappy history says it’s a pipe dream. But I like to dream . . . 

This is it. 

And it really is the accuracy on the routine stuff that really seem to be the issue.

The good news is - that was never a problem with him before.

The Bad news is - he was never asked to play at this speed before.

When all is said and done -IMO -  it's going to be about the ice in the veins things -- The throws I'm referencing are ones that most high school QB's should make - but when Zach feels pressure (I'm talking mental and well as psychical) can he get past that?  Can he step up and trust himself to put the ball where it needs to be?

He was terrible with it early, seemed to have cleared it up later in the year.  

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, PorP said:

Idk.... but if you would have written the same thing and had 50.1% career comp....

Well then I would have said don't tell his fur coat 👿

Not Joe, referring to John Elway. His first few years were brutal.

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It got said elsewhere today.  He has to clean up the short sh1t. It's a drive killer. 

Whatever mental glitch is causing that has to be corrected.  He can progress normal in everything else but those short out passes gotta make it to hands. 

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Not Joe, referring to John Elway. His first few years were brutal.

I knew brother. 

I was 1) trying to get carpet bombed for speaking ill 2) making a point that if he were our rookie or 2nd yr qb today,  the whole board would be calling for his head. 

• Sympathy 1

The way I see it you can't learn how to throw an 60 yd bomb with the flick of your wrist. 

Can you learn to throw a 5 yard screen pass to a TE or running back.

Yes

Or at least I hope so.

41 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This is my concern.  I just don’t see Wilson as understanding the QB position… All the tools… but between the ears there’s a long way to go.  No idea if he’ll get there.

• Upvote 1

A young QB is inconsistent early in his career?  What a revelation!  Who would have thought.  Let's discuss Wilson's consistency after the 2023 season.  We will know what he is at that point.  If you can't wait for that, root for another team that is streaming second rate retread QBs from the trash heap, like Washington or Indy.  Because that is the alternative to drafting a QB early and seeing if he develops.

• Upvote 1

Zach Wilson, aesthetically, plays a beautiful game of QB. Some people are just born to throw a football and he is one of the lucky few. His ability to moderate between throwing fastballs and feathering a touch pass are a sight to behold. 

The consistency issue that the OP mentions applies to Wilson and every other QB in the NFL. Almost every QB in the NFL was all state or a hero at his college. These guys are genetic outliers, but very few are able to do it on a consistent basis and that's the issue. 

When Wilson's first read is open or he is under no pressure, he can make some eye popping throws, but that's not a recipe for consistent success in the NFL because the defenses are too good. He has to be able to consistently progress through reads from a tight pocket (with pressure coming), make the right read and deliver accurate throws. This is why I'm not as bullish on him as so many of you. I just don't see him making consistent plays when he is in a difficult position.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Nah.  Same sh*t over and over again by the same handful of people.  

Go to the Zach Wilson sucks threads and continue to post about how he'll never be consistent - and he's a bust and how great Mike White is - it's fine, we just don't need any more threads on the same topic.

If there's some new reason to bash Zach Wilson please then create a new thread....but until then just take to the dozens that already exist.

I didn't create the thread and said nothing about Wilson, Can you stop flipping out on me?