Can Zach achieve a level of consistency?

Sammybighead

44 minutes ago, msena88 said:

He cleaned it up but they were still there in the final few games of the season and every day in camp there are reports of at least one. I think its ridiculous for anyone to write him off at this point but do think its fair for people to have some concerns about the kid. The maddening element of Zach is that he makes the difficult look easy and the easy look difficult. It drives you crazy that the throws he struggles with are the easiest ones, the coaching staff will never say so publicly but behind closed doors you know they are questioning how he can possibly miss them. 

Playing well in camp does not in any way guarantee that you play well when the lights come on, every top QB plays well in camp but so do a bunch of bums who can't hack it in the reg season. Conversely, you'd struggle to find the example/s of QBs who play poorly in camp and then turn it on come week 1. By no means do I think Zach has a bad camp but to me in order for him to have a chance at taking the step we all want this season, he needs to be playing better than he has. OR we go spinzone and say the defense is the second coming of the '85 bears!

I rewatched the games over the winter specifically to see when the problem started.  

The skipped passes were gone the last few weeks of the season.  He was actually hitting them perfectly and lobbing the screens over defenders in stride. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Really good post, agree with all of it. 

Imo, Zach has everything you need from a QB physically and intellectually. Thing is, though, that I could’ve said the exact same things about Geno. Being good in the classroom =/= being good on the field. It’s about the speed of that processor in real time. 

The mental/psychological aspect is where he really has to settle in. By all accounts, he’s more confident and is taking on more a leadership role. He needs to do that and be comfortable in it, just as he needs to get completely comfortable in the offense. Everything wrong with his game last year could be attributed to the mental side of it. Can’t have a return of those yips, and when he bounces a pass to a RB in practice, it’s ****ing triggering. He needs to be able to rely on those easy throws, and that’s been a psychological hurdle for him. 

I do think practicing against this defense is going to help him, though. This defense is going to consistently get after the passer and cover the WRs. They should help force him to get that internal clock up to speed. Consistency is a critical component here. It’s what often separates the great from the good and bad QBs. If he can get consistent with the physical tools that he possesses, he really can be very good. Obviously that’s the if. 

I'm optimistic based on Zach's talent as well and yes he probably does need time but it always seems our QB's "Need Time"

I want Zach to be a beast and light up the NFL but I have to also be realistic about that as well. 

In the offense we currently run the short game rules and with that short game comes accuracy and touch. We are going to see more passes to RB's more WR screens more RB screens than we ever have which tend to open up the intermediate game as described by LeFleur himself in numerous interviews. That being said in this short passing game you have to be super accurate and hit players in stride as not to cause them to adjust to balls slowing them down in traffic which causes them to play slower. Defenders as fast as they are in todays game that slight adjustment a Receiver has to make is the difference between 5 to 10 extra yards gained or even taking it to the house or giving the defender that needed fraction of a second to make the tackle.

With all that being said Zach's weakness so far has been being able to do exactly what I described above. That's what concerns me because that's the bread and butter of this offense and how it operates. You have to be accurate and you have to have a bit more in the way of touch to make this offense run smooth. You simply need the majority of your short passes be as accurate as possible just like a Drew Bree's who threw a ton of short passes and utilized his RB's probably more than any other QB in history along with a ton of WR screens. We have numerous guys with 4.3 speed getting them the ball in stride will be huge just completing a pass and getting tackled wont.

If Zach can get past this I think he has a very good chance to be great if he can not get past this , this offense will not run smooth and there really is no debating that fact. At this stage he's been a pro for 1 year and is in his second training camp and we are still hearing reports of him being inaccurate . If people want to bury their heads in the sand and avoid those tweets that's fine for them and obviously I'm not saying its you doing this but if people are not concerned with this based on our scheme they simply are not paying attention. 

• Upvote 1

I think the Zack missed due to pressure thing is overblown.  We all know he can make  the long and medium passes with ease.  It's the short pass that derails him. 

I read a Zack quote somewhere where he said the NFL ball is bigger and he's trying to/had to adjust to that.  It's also a fact that Zack's hand size is less than ideal. 

So hand size and ball size don't effect his long and medium stuff.  Perhaps though those two thing do effect his short pass ability.  Just a thought.......   

16 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Food for though to limit Zach’s overthinking tendency.  Maybe mix in a bit of up temp offense that naturally forces him to speed up and play more on instinct.

I also think for any QB, just learning and knowing the offense better allows him to react more, and think less.

We'll see.   I hope he can be everything the Jets want him to be. 

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I disagree. There are many who have already written him off as a bust. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Sadly, there are a few here rejoicing in it too.

Rejoicing in Zach's short comings or calling him a bust or rejoicing in his failure is just ridiculous. Pointing out his flaws and things he needs to work on as well as his great flashes is what makes you a fan. You can't just blindly go either way . At this stage we are in the, we hope he's gonna be great stage but we also have to be honest on what he does good and what he struggles with.

Some people take criticism to the extreme like OMG he said Zach sucks !!!!!!!! OMG he said Zach is a bust . OMG you just hate Zach !!! Then there are others who over blow his talents, when in fact the biggest talent is what's in between his ears and whether or not that becomes elite and that's the factor we will never know until he gets out there this season and plays. The crappy talent around him thing is over now . Its time for Zach to go out and do exactly what we drafted him for and yes I do expect him to go out and play like Joe Burrow because you know Joe Burrow is doing it :) As is Justin Herbert

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think the Zack missed due to pressure thing is overblown.  We all know he can make  the long and medium passes with ease.  It's the short pass that derails him. 

I read a Zack quote somewhere where he said the NFL ball is bigger and he's trying to/had to adjust to that.  It's also a fact that Zack's hand size is less than ideal. 

So hand size and ball size don't effect his long and medium stuff.  Perhaps though those two thing do effect his short pass ability.  Just a thought.......   

Short passes would be less affected when you have to grip the ball more to throw a deep ball or a 15 - 20 yard out on a rope that's when the bigger ball will give you issues.

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Short passes would be less affected when you have to grip the ball more to throw a deep ball or a 15 - 20 yard out on a rope that's when the bigger ball will give you issues.

My thought was well he can throw it hard he just can't throw it easy

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

My thought was well he can throw it hard he just can't throw it easy

I hear ya but I think the throw it easy thing is in his head not physically gripping the football. Him being the gun slinger he is maybe he never really worked on the short touch passing game as much as our current offense demands. Throwing a soft touch pass requires timing and accuracy and IMHO its harder to throw that pass than it is for a QB to zip one in at 30 yards.

• Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Just not true.  He's middle of the pack of NFL QB's with hand size.

Hand size has NOTHING to do with his last year accuracy issues on short throws.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33108568/nfl-quarterback-hand-size-measurements-smallest-biggest-all-32-teams-taysom-hill-russell-wilson

Taysom Hill, New Orleans Saints: 8¾ inches

Joe Burrow, Cincinnati Bengals: 9
Ryan Tannehill, Tennessee Titans: 9
Jared Goff, Detroit Lions: 9

Derek Carr, Las Vegas Raiders: 9⅛
Justin Fields, Chicago Bears: 9⅛

Baker Mayfield, Cleveland Browns: 9¼
Teddy Bridgewater, Denver Broncos: 9¼
Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs: 9¼
Jimmy Garoppolo, San Francisco 49ers: 9¼
Taylor Heinicke, Washington Commanders: 9¼

Sam Darnold, Carolina Panthers: 9⅜