2023 NY Jets back-up QB

Bronx

I think this guy is done as a NFL starter...

North Carolina Smile GIF by Carolina Panthers

Sam Darnold; one year, 5 million 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34335737/nfl-training-camp-updates-2022-baker-mayfield-jalen-hurts-daniel-jones-shine-air

What our NFL Nation reporters saw today

Carolina Panthers: Panthers wideout Robby Anderson tweeted "Noooooo" back in April when news came out the Panthers were interested in acquiring quarterback Baker Mayfield from the Cleveland Browns. On Tuesday, teammates and fans were saying "Ooooooh" over a play Anderson made with the former No. 1 overall pick. Mayfield, working with the 1s, threw a strike of about 50 yards that the veteran wide receiver hauled in close to the goal line.

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

At the end of this fully guaranteed year, Sam will have earned over $49M attempting to play QB in the NFL. There’s no reason for him to jerk around as a backup after that. 

I mean if he can still make $5mm or so a year for the next 5 years - to just practice football I think he would be crazy not to do that...

but I hear ya.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I mean if he can still make $5mm or so a year for the next 5 years - to just practice football I think he would be crazy not to do that...

but I hear ya.  

Agree with both but if Rhule is still running the show down there (I don't think he lasts but you never know) he could just be nutty enough to extend him.

• Upvote 1

There are two types of backups that you want, depending on where you are as a team.

Type A: backups with some semblance of hypothetical upside if you are a team with doubts about your starter (ex. Gardner Minshew).

Type B: backups who protect the ball, don’t lose games for you, and can hopefully play .500 ball if your FQB misses limited time. Also known as “steady hand veterans” (ex. Teddy Bridgewater).

Darnold is neither. I wouldn’t want him to backup a drunk karaoke singer.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

not crying for sammy.  he tried and didn't make the cut as an nfl qb.  happens all the time and to players better than him.  it's just too bad he didn't play well enough for the jets.  after that, so what.

He also netted — and made more valuable by failing last season — the pick that we traded away to move up for Hall, so there’s that.

• Upvote 1