Flacco/Wilson hypothetical

AFJF

I've seen a few people suggest Flacco should start and honestly can't tell if they're serious or just trolling.  It's Zach's team.  He's starting.

However, if you're the Jets and sitting at 5-5 or something in that range and Zach gets dinged up and misses a few weeks, what do you do if the team goes 3-0 with the offense playing better while Zach is out?

Stick with Flacco or right back to Zach?

There's no possible timeline where Zach won't start if he is able.  Even if he is bad.  It will be unfortunate if he is bad and shows little improvement, as this team has been waiting for young signal callers to develop for a long, long time.  Even if Mike White lit it up against Buffalo last season, I really do think Saleh/JD would have inserted Zach back in last.  Too much politics.

Zach is interesting because he's young at a time this team is getting an influx of talent, something that never happens here.  Sanchez came in with very temporary talent as we saw.  Darnold had all the time in the world to show he didn't suck because there were a lot of areas to address.

My crystal ball shows three possible outcomes of the Zach era:

1) He develops into a serviceable, good or even great QB.  Nice!  We're in business here.  We want this.

2) He sucks and the team sees enough and moves on from him.  Damage control, talented team still intact.

3) He sucks and the team stubbornly devotes to him as they did with Sanchez.  This will be very bad and will ultimately cripple any chance of this team having success.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

49 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I've seen a few people suggest Flacco should start and honestly can't tell if they're serious or just trolling.  It's Zach's team.  He's starting.

However, if you're the Jets and sitting at 5-5 or something in that range and Zach gets dinged up and misses a few weeks, what do you do if the team goes 3-0 with the offense playing better while Zach is out?

Testaverde Part Deux

Always stick with the incumbent QB who is hot and leading the team on its current winning streak - Wally Pip.

Fitzpatrick over Geno

Brady over Bledsoe

Rypien over Doug Williams 

Doug Williams over Jay Schroeder 

oh yeah, and Vinny over Glen Foley

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, AFJF said:

First off flacco is not winning any games people act like this is 10 years ago. He is washed up can't run the offense and sucks. People seem to forget cinn and Indy and buffalo. White is the back up and only possibility of the above scenario. He easily could win three games by running the system.

In either case though Zach come back he is the future of the franchise. Now if he is abysmal they might go back to white. But no way in hell flacco does anything.

How anyone can suggest he is the better back up is insane.

You go with Zach every game this season and don’t look back.  If he’s worse 1/2 way through they probably are winless, so at that point get your high draft pick.  

If they are not happy with progress and see bust - bring in competition for next season.   I’d go vet.  No matter how it goes, keep Zach on the roster until preseason year 4 at least.  

Here’s the very under appreciated (on JN) issue that Zach struggling would present - he’s mentally wired to handle NY media, he’s rated a top 5 arm talent by many, and he’s + athletic.  That’s a rare combo. 

I’m sure it would piss him off to not cut him and keep him on the bench like that, but who cares. It would be dumb to send him packing and see the game slow down for him somewhere else.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

55 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I think Flacco will get exposed for the old, washed bastard he is if he’s given extensive PT. That said, I think there’s going to be some decisions to make if the Jets are 1-4, 1-5 and Zach is still a deterrent to winning ball games. As we’ve all noted, this is a relatively talented Jets team and could possibly scratch out eight+ wins with a Garoppolo-like starter, so Saleh and LaFleur and Douglas have to be realistic if they get to a tipping point with Wilson.  There hasn’t been much in camp yet to make you think Zach has turned a corner, either, outside of a one-play highlight from each session. 

• Upvote 2

The question I’m really seeing is:

Are the Jets beholden to Zach Wilson due to draft status, even if it’s holding back this Potentially Explosive Talented offense (ie, getting the ball to E Moore, Uzomah, G.Wilson, hitting Hall & Berrios on screens & in the flat, etc) from realizing its full potential under the play/management of a veteran QB?

I don’t think they should be if the replacement is leading the team on a winning streak. 

Bucs were meh in 2019 with J. Winston

Bucs were SB Champs following year moving on from Winston in 2020. They seized the small window to win it all

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

The question I’m really seeing is:

Are the Jets beholden to Zach Wilson due to draft status, even if it’s holding back this Potentially Explosive Talented offense (ie, getting the ball to E Moore, Uzomah, G.Wilson, hitting Hall & Berrios on screens & in the flat, etc) from realizing its full potential under the play/management of a veteran QB?

I don’t think they should be if the replacement is leading the team on a winning streak. 

Bucs were meh in 2019 with J. Winston

Bucs were SB Champs following year moving on from Winston in 2020. They seized the small window to win it all

You conveniently left out that Winston was replaced in 2020 by one of the greatest QBs in NFL history.  There is no all time great waiting in the wings to QB the Jets in 2023.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

A player shouldn't  lose his spot to injury. Zach is the future  (We Hope)

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

Back to,Zach, you shouldn’t lose your job because of injury.  

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think Flacco will get exposed for the old, washed bastard he is if he’s given extensive PT. That said, I think there’s going to be some decisions to make if the Jets are 1-4, 1-5 and Zach is still a deterrent to winning ball games. As we’ve all noted, this is a relatively talented Jets team and could possibly scratch out eight+ wins with a Garoppolo-like starter, so Saleh and LaFleur and Douglas have to be realistic if they get to a tipping point with Wilson.  There hasn’t been much in camp yet to make you think Zach has turned a corner, either, outside of a one-play highlight from each session. 

While Flacco and White have shown nothing other than their not viable options while playing backups 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

There hasn’t been much in camp yet to make you think Zach has turned a corner, either, outside of a one-play highlight from each session. 

Andy you know this from Connor Hughes Tweets?

Because it seems the entire coaching staff and his teamates are saying the exact opposite. 

That he has, in fact, improved greatly.  His command of the offense, his decision making, his leadership skills - have all improved.

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Didn't they hold Zach out what seemed like an extra week so he could avoid Miami (maybe not Miami but some team) 

No.  Not even remotely true.

In fact when he did come back he was still banged up - probably should have sat out an additional week.  If anything they rushed him back.

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

While Flacco and White have shown nothing other than their not viable options while playing backups 

You gleaned this from the tweets? You should go back and read the tweets mentioning both Flacco and White. They seem to be doing well

10 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

First off flacco is not winning any games people act like this is 10 years ago. He is washed up can't run the offense and sucks. People seem to forget cinn and Indy and buffalo. White is the back up and only possibility of the above scenario. He easily could win three games by running the system.

In either case though Zach come back he is the future of the franchise. Now if he is abysmal they might go back to white. But no way in hell flacco does anything.

How anyone can suggest he is the better back up is insane.

And yet Flacco is the obvious and clear #2 QB in training camp. Both JD and Saleh love the guy. With all the talent Douglas has brought in this year, those last cuts are gonna be tough. One of those decisions could be between keeping White as the #3 QB, or keeping a valuable reserve somewhere else who’s far more likely to see the field. Mike White would easily clear waivers with his $2.5M salary. They’re probably more likely to be able to get him on their practice squad than the whoever 6th edge or WR turns out to be. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You gleaned this from the tweets? You should go back and read the tweets mentioning both Flacco and White. They seem to be doing well

If you go by tweets about White and Flacco they are literally perfect.  I haven't seen a single tweet mentioning they missed anything.  

That's because they're irrelevant and any mention of them is to highlight the WR's.

Every ZW miss is highlighted by tweets because it garners massive interest from miserable Jet fans.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Well, to be honest, they’re not 23 and have less than a full year of pro football experience. 

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Every ZW miss is highlighted by tweets because it garners massive interest by miserable Jet fans.

I would like to know if my quarterback is struggling with things in camp (not necessarily saying he is) so that I am not completely blindsided when the season starts like I was last year.

Every decent throw is highlighted as well.