Mims will make the roster

Bronx

I've been really impressed that Mims attacked the offseason and came into camp looking good. The issue for Mims is he has Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, and Garett Wilson in front of him. GW still is learning the playbook, but I assume the coaching staff wants to get him going as fast as they can since he is their pick.

And now there are other guys maybe earning playing time. Heard about Jeff Smith in OTAs, and now we're hearing about Irvin Charles.

Is Mims okay being relegated to a few plays a game and maybe a couple of catches? I wonder if him being traded to a place he can play more is the best move for him (and then the team gets a draft pick for him).

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I think it’s more likely he’s traded for a late round pick and the Jets roll with someone like Smith or Charles as the final WR.

It all depends whether JD thinks there is any hope for Mims.  He will not trade him cheap to another team to have him break out and make JD, Saleh and LF look like idiots.  If he flashes he will be kept around and allowed to leave after his contract 1 for a comp pick.  There is no way they let Mims go if he has upside.  To the extent he does not play in games or specials, he is an inactive albatross, but I don't see them trading Mims unless they think he is hopeless and will not shine on another team.  I think there will be enough injuries to this relatively delicate and small WR corp to allow Mims to have substantial playing time in 2022.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Understanding that it is still very early and who knows what happens prior to the start of the season but what we seem to be seeing is a Jet team that actually has depth of talent at multiple positions that could bring value as we get closer to the season.  

Honestly don't know if I have seen this level of talent since maybe late 90's?

Mims specifically, I think if he continues to have a strong camp - he stays. I agree they are not just going to give him away for a late round pick.

Depth on the DL, WR, RB and dare I say QB. Lots of positives around flacco and might they move him if a team needs a QB at the start or into the season.

It is a good problem to have for once instead of trying to identify 2 starters on the roster.  

• Upvote 1

I'm hopeful he not only makes the roster, but finally provides production this year.  Limited, since he's depth really right now behind four other guys.  But production none the less.  His talent is obvious, hopefully he knows in his head what he needs to do now.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm hopeful he not only makes the roster, but finally provides production this year.  Limited, since he's depth really right now behind four other guys.  But production none the less.  His talent is obvious, hopefully he knows in his head what he needs to do now.

There is precedent for WRs to emerge year 3. But Mims was utterly useless last year. Still think he should’ve played more after last season’s WRmagaddon but what do I know.

• Upvote 2

Lets say that Mims turns on all the lights.  And he is lights out.

There is NOTHING wrong with letting him start as WR2.  Let Garrett Wilson ride the pine and be WR4 to start.  Let him learn.  Let him WANT to take the spot.  You spotlight Mims, he is playing great.  That could then net us the 2nd rounder we spent on him, and we are then losing nothing.  

Of course this presumes that Mims could be all that.  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Sad that we are debating whether a 2nd rounder in his 3rd year is going to make the team or not...

Yes. It is what it is though. Jets have had a tough stretch of WR picks. Hopefully Moore and Wilson stop the trend.

2014 Jalen Saunders Rd 4;  2014 Shaquelle Evans Rd 4; 2015 Devin Smith Rd 2;  2017 ArDarius Stewart Rd 3; 2017 Chad Hansen Rd 4; 2020 Denzel Mims Rd 2

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Lets say that Mims turns on all the lights.  And he is lights out.

There is NOTHING wrong with letting him start as WR2.  Let Garrett Wilson ride the pine and be WR4 to start.  Let him learn.  Let him WANT to take the spot.  You spotlight Mims, he is playing great.  That could then net us the 2nd rounder we spent on him, and we are then losing nothing.  

Of course this presumes that Mims could be all that.  

Absolutely. Put Elijah in the slot. Rotate Braxton and GW in depending on the play call. If Mims played to his potential/measurables he is a tall, fast guy who can stretch the field. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Mimsy is a lock to make the roster.  Whats the alternative- jeff smith.  Come on now.

Mimsy has the size/speed combo that we lack after corey davis.  He needs to be on this roster in case davis misses time.

The road to success is lined with the corpses of those with unrealized potential.

25 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Sad that we are debating whether a 2nd rounder in his 3rd year is going to make the team or not...

The old saying is better late than never, but in the world of football where most careers are short, it's better to be early.  In the case of Mims, he may be late to the party.

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Hes a tweener dude ... hell be at x and y this year I bet.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Hes not a tweensr.  Thats like saying tyreke hill and antonio brown were tweeners.  Braxton Berrios is rhe #3wr and starting slot on this team.  Why jet fans cant accept this is mindboggling.

You dont limit an all world talent like moore by putting him in the slot, you take a limited receiver like berrios and put him there.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Mims had about as many penalties as he did receptions last year.

The early reports so far have been encouraging, but anyone who thinks that this dude is a lock to make the roster is kidding themselves.

The Jets really like Jeff Smith and he has the advantage of being one of our best players on special teams. Irvin Charles has been just as, if not more, impressive as Mims and provides that big body target who can get downfield.

Even if Mims makes the team, he’s going to firmly be behind Davis, Moore, Wilson and Berrios on the depth chart.

It’s probably best for both parties to move on. Mims gets a fresh start elsewhere and the Jets can recoup a late round pick.