Mims will make the roster

Bronx

I think if he know the offense - X and Z spots inside and out..and can be counted on to run precise routes with the proper timing he makes the team.  Just too much natural talent to cut if he can figure that part out.

I think many of the penalties were because he was just lost in the offense.   

• Sympathy 1

Barring showing up to camp and being a complete disaster, this was a foregone conclusion.  

They made every excuse in the book for him last year and they’re not going to give up on a second round draft pick with his skill set so quickly.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Lets say that Mims turns on all the lights.  And he is lights out.

There is NOTHING wrong with letting him start as WR2.  Let Garrett Wilson ride the pine and be WR4 to start.  Let him learn.  Let him WANT to take the spot.  You spotlight Mims, he is playing great.  That could then net us the 2nd rounder we spent on him, and we are then losing nothing.  

Of course this presumes that Mims could be all that.  

Hang on, if Mims is playing lights out then you don't trade a lights-out 24-25 yo WR with his size+speed. You'd hold onto Corey Davis instead of a spotlighted Mims finally playing lights out?

The purpose of drafting Mims was to hopefully land a long-term starter, not to hopefully parlay his 2nd round investment into another pick in the same round 3 seasons later. Never mind if he's "lights-out'ing" on the receiving end of the Jets' young 2nd-year FQB. That's an ideal situation.

It probably won't happen, but under those circumstances, if anything I'd extend him after year 3 as soon as he's eligible to spread some of that veteran contract over an extra season. Dump someone else instead. Or don't, and keep them all, seeing how the other 4 combined hit the cap under $25MM next year. Or if we need the cap space, dump Davis if he's not playing up to another $10.5MM.

#endrant ;) 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Nothing personal but I abhor the lazy nicknaming convention of tacking on a “sy.”

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mimsy is a lock to make the roster.  Whats the alternative- jeff smith.  Come on now.

Mimsy has the size/speed combo that we lack after corey davis.  He needs to be on this roster in case davis misses time.

Danny Pudi Dancing GIF

3 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

The issue for Mims is he has Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, and Garett Wilson in front of him.

That actually works in Mims' favor. Because of them (Corey Davis isn't a long term hindrance to Mims) Mims can come on behind the scenes and develop as opposed to having to be amazing right now. The concept of developing a draft pick project (because we have depth) isn't something we're used to. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Lets say that Mims turns on all the lights.  And he is lights out.

There is NOTHING wrong with letting him start as WR2.  Let Garrett Wilson ride the pine and be WR4 to start.  Let him learn.  Let him WANT to take the spot.  You spotlight Mims, he is playing great.  That could then net us the 2nd rounder we spent on him, and we are then losing nothing.  

Of course this presumes that Mims could be all that.  

Open competition.

Best 3 start (in 3 WR sets).  #4 comes in when someone needs a breather.   if Mims really steps up, great!!   Davis is on the last year of his deal, it'd be nice if his replacement is on the roster.

• Sympathy 1

We are having good problems with lots of competition in camp. Mims woke up and smelled the coffee. Now he is playing like a pro. We should be excited about our team and Mims' progress.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

There is precedent for WRs to emerge year 3. But Mims was utterly useless last year. Still think he should’ve played more after last season’s WRmagaddon but what do I know.

Agreed. 

At least in this case, there is more than a little smoke to indicate a fire set at least in-part by Saleh himself.

I'm usually a "do what the coaches want, and you'll play" kinda guy, but there is more than a part of me that thinks Saleh and Co. might have been a bit too severe with Mims in keeping him off the field so near-totally.

But who knows, guy may do nothing again this year and be gone, so /shrug.  Just be nice if he's finally "got it".

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mimsy is a lock to make the roster.  Whats the alternative- jeff smith.  Come on now.

Mimsy has the size/speed combo that we lack after corey davis.  He needs to be on this roster in case davis misses time.

I think he’s pretty sure to make it.   I like seeing him motivated.  It’s funny whenever I have seen him standing next to other guys he doesn’t impress me in stature or bulk.  Almost skinny and little though I know his measurables say otherwise. 

Here’s a case where we could actually see development and growth.  I hope so.  We as fans don’t really know his bonehead quotient.  That could be the deciding factor in whether he stays or not.  Some boneheads are worth keeping however if they flash enough.  

ps.  There has indeed been times when he made slashing plays over the middle and you say - hey that’s mims, let’s see more.

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

It’s possible, but I could easily see the Jets deciding to carry an extra DL, DB or TE instead.

We carried 6 and even 7 at times last year. Only 2 QBs stay.. I think Hardee is cut/traded. That allows for 6 WR and 4TEs assuming Mims and one other can play specials. With all the injuries at WR last year and all the talent we have weapons and depth on OFF will trump the DT and DE groups. 

We will release or trade some good players this year. A Q trade would not shock  me

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hang on, if Mims is playing lights out then you don't trade a lights-out 24-25 yo WR with his size+speed. You'd hold onto Corey Davis instead of a spotlighted Mims finally playing lights out?

The purpose of drafting Mims was to hopefully land a long-term starter, not to hopefully parlay his 2nd round investment into another pick in the same round 3 seasons later. Never mind if he's "lights-out'ing" on the receiving end of the Jets' young 2nd-year FQB. That's an ideal situation.

It probably won't happen, but under those circumstances, if anything I'd extend him after year 3 as soon as he's eligible to spread some of that veteran contract over an extra season. Dump someone else instead. Or don't, and keep them all, seeing how none of the other 4 combined hit the cap for under $25MM next year. Or if we need the cap space, dump Davis if he's playing up to another $10.5MM.

#endrant ;) 

My hypothetical was only hypothetical in regards to trading him.  IF you were going to trade him, let him start and see if he has anything.  If he doesn't, you got Wilson ready to go.  If he does, it only improves his trade value.

Personally, if Mims is playing that well, you give him the opportunities to prove it in real-game time.  If he does, you keep him.  I mean, would it be a bad thing to have 5 quality starting WR's?  I don't think that is a bad thing, when you have three of them on rookie deals, and two affordable ones.  

#endfullexplanation

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

Open competition.

Best 3 start (in 3 WR sets).  #4 comes in when someone needs a breather.   if Mims really steps up, great!!   Davis is on the last year of his deal, it'd be nice if his replacement is on the roster.

To be clear: Corey Davis is on the last year of his deal that makes him uncuttable.  He is under contract for $11.1 million, but his cap hit is less than a $1 million, so yeah....My guess is, unless he plays better than Moore and Wilson, he won't be here without a pay cut.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

We carried 6 and even 7 at times last year. Only 2 QBs stay.. I think Hardee is cut/traded. That allows for 6 WR and 4TEs assuming Mims and one other can play specials. With all the injuries at WR last year and all the talent we have weapons and depth on OFF will trump the DT and DE groups. 

We will release or trade some good players this year. A Q trade would not shock  me

The Jets, by and large, carried 5 WR’s on the roster last year if I’m not mistaken.

Then dudes like Davis and Crowder got injured and we were forced to elevate the nobodies that we had stashed on the PS.

Jeff Smith has no longterm future here. Tarik Black has no longterm future here. Irvin Charles has no longterm future here.

And neither does Denzel Mims

But at least a dude like Smith has ST value in the short term.

As for this season…Davis, Moore, Wilson and Berrios are the core…anyone else on the WR roster is going to have to bring something extra on ST in order to have a seat at the table.

Otherwise, we shouldn’t be cutting someone like Bryce Huff in order to make room.

10 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The Jets, by and large, carried 5 WR’s on the roster last year if I’m not mistaken.

Then dudes like Davis and Crowder got injured and we were forced to elevate the nobodies that we had stashed on the PS.

Jeff Smith has no longterm future here. Tarik Black has no longterm future here. Irvin Charles has no longterm future here.

And neither does Denzel Mims

But at least a dude like Smith has ST value in the short term.

As for this season…Davis, Moore, Wilson and Berrios are the core…anyone else on the WR roster is going to have to bring something extra on ST in order to have a seat at the table.

Otherwise, we shouldn’t be cutting someone like Bryce Huff in order to make room.

last years final 53

WIDE RECEIVERS (7)

RETURNEES: Jamison Crowder (7th year), Braxton Berrios (4th), Denzel Mims (2nd), Jeff Smith (2nd). NEW VETS: Keelan Cole (5th), Corey Davis (5th). NEWCOMER: Elijah Moore (rookie—Round 2).

SUMMARY: If all the pieces drop neatly into place, Jets WR could be a pretty picture this fall. Davis and Cole bring productive pass-catching from the Titans and Jaguars respectively, and Davis has become a favored Wilson target this preseason. Crowder has led the Jets in receptions and yards for two seasons and still has superb production and versatility (catch-run-pass). Mims had a slow offseason start due to food poisoning but came on to again demonstrate his big target, sure hands and downfield dimension. Moore has shown through the summer that he can be an exciting receiver wherever he lines up. Mix in the reliable Berrios, add play action and enjoy.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

last years final 53

WIDE RECEIVERS (7)

RETURNEES: Jamison Crowder (7th year), Braxton Berrios (4th), Denzel Mims (2nd), Jeff Smith (2nd). NEW VETS: Keelan Cole (5th), Corey Davis (5th). NEWCOMER: Elijah Moore (rookie—Round 2).

SUMMARY: If all the pieces drop neatly into place, Jets WR could be a pretty picture this fall. Davis and Cole bring productive pass-catching from the Titans and Jaguars respectively, and Davis has become a favored Wilson target this preseason. Crowder has led the Jets in receptions and yards for two seasons and still has superb production and versatility (catch-run-pass). Mims had a slow offseason start due to food poisoning but came on to again demonstrate his big target, sure hands and downfield dimension. Moore has shown through the summer that he can be an exciting receiver wherever he lines up. Mix in the reliable Berrios, add play action and enjoy.

When was this from and what did it entail?

I sure as sh*t don’t remember the Jets starting the season with 7 wideouts on the active roster…

12 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I stand corrected, I guess.

We were devoting active roster spots to Tyler Kroft, Dan Brown, Ryan Griffin and Trevon Wesco just at the TE position alone…and Mims was still thought to be on the roster bubble right before the season which he eventually turned into an 8 catch, 133 yard campaign with 6 penalties on top.

I guess he’s safe…

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

I stand corrected, I guess.

We were devoting active roster spots to Tyler Kroft, Dan Brown and Ryan Griffin just at the TE position alone…and Mims was still thought to be on the roster bubble just before the season…

I guess he’s safe 

yep, i think he is.

7,4,4 we kept (wr,te,rb)

thats why i think guys like Mike White is gonner, Hardee is luxury cant afford, FB can be done by TE cant afford FB plus I want BAM :)

I am also thinking they will try to keep 10 DL and 8/9 OL which will be tough

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think we make room by carrying only 3 TEs.  We ought to be able to stash 2 others on the PS.  

pretty sure they will keep 4 te because critical pos and most TE worth anything would be scooped up from PS.  Plus most teams keep 4.

6 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

yep, i think he is.

7,4,4 we kept (wr,te,rb)

thats why i think guys like Mike White is gonner, Hardee is luxury cant afford, FB can be done by TE cant afford FB plus I want BAM :)

I am also thinking they will try to keep 10 DL and 8/9 OL which will be tough

Nick Bawden has a better chance of making the final roster than Denzel Mims.

Let that sink in…

7 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

not even close

LOL

Yes, it is.

The Shanahan WCO is one of the last prevailing offenses in the NFL that actually incorporates the FB.

Conklin is going to be the Jets starting TE this year, no matter what bullsh*t people want to feed you about him playing some primary H-back role.

The Jets will run a sh*t ton of 12 man formations on the field and Conklin will be the #1, Uzomah will be the #2, and the Jets will incorporate Ruckert as their 3rd TE during short yardage and goaline situations as they bring him along slowly in his rookie campaign.

I can pretty much guarantee that this is what will happen.

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

That actually works in Mims' favor. Because of them (Corey Davis isn't a long term hindrance to Mims) Mims can come on behind the scenes and develop as opposed to having to be amazing right now. The concept of developing a draft pick project (because we have depth) isn't something we're used to. 

Makes sense. But do you think Mims is okay being "in development" for another year or two. Or will he demand more play time since he is a second round pick in his third year.

7 hours ago, Untouchable said:

LOL

Yes, it is.

The Shanahan WCO is one of the last prevailing offenses in the NFL that actually incorporates the FB.

Conklin is going to be the Jets starting TE this year, no matter what bullsh*t people want to feed you about him playing some primary H-back role.

The Jets will run a sh*t ton of 12 man formations on the field and Conklin will be the #1, Uzomah will be the #2, and the Jets will incorporate Ruckert as their 3rd TE during short yardage and goaline situations as they bring him along slowly in his rookie campaign.

I can pretty much guarantee that this is what will happen.

they were WCO going into last season too and used Wesco.  Bawden isnt competing with Mims spot but rather that 4th TE.

of course we want mims to do well.  if he does well then the wr's will be set for the next couple of seasons. hopefully he'll have learned something from last season.  he looked pretty lost when he did get in.  maybe some players need to be in the game more so they keep their head in the game.