OT .. we need at least one more

Dunnie

25 minutes ago, Jethead said:

I think Eric Fischer is still available. Got to be a guy who can zone block. Not sure that's Peters.

You might be correct about Peters in zone blocking but isn’t that the same thing we said about Moses last year   These are very good O Tackles who should be able to adapt maybe not to elite levels but levels better than Edoga and McDermott 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

You would think Peters wants a chance to start though, no? 

Yes I would think so but if it starts getting later and Peters still has no team hopefully he takes a offer if JD makes one 

6 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Yes I would think so but if it starts getting later and Peters still has no team hopefully he takes a offer if JD makes one 

It's crazy to me that the Bears arent bringing him back.  I think they might have drafted Fields with intentions of watching him get his ass beat every week by opposing defenses.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, CSNY said:

You might be correct about Peters in zone blocking but isn’t that the same thing we said about Moses last year   These are very good O Tackles who should be able to adapt maybe not to elite levels but levels better than Edoga and McDermott 

Fair point.

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

It's crazy to me that the Bears arent bringing him back.  I think they might have drafted Fields with intentions of watching him get his ass beat every week by opposing defenses.

Maybe the Bears think he is the second coming of Bobby Douglas who was a far better runner than a passer so Fields won’t need any protection whatsoever 

4 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Maybe the Bears think he is the second coming of Bobby Douglas who was a far better runner than a passer so Fields won’t need any protection whatsoever 

right, and now WR's....so basically, block for yourself or run, oh and go catch your own passes too! 

Just now, JiFapono said:

right, and now WR's....so basically, block for yourself or run, oh and go catch your own passes too! 

Pretty much looks to be the case   Doesn’t seem to me that they have a coherent plan or any plan to help Fields in his development 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Yeah, next thing we know is Fields  has taken up boogie boarding. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

I see this thread as a sign of progress.  In past years, we have had no WRs or TEs.  It has been 50 years since we had a legit franchise QB.  Our RBs have been aging guys on 2nd contracts whose best football was behind them.  We have needed a pass rusher for 20+ seasons .  We have seasons with no starting caliber corners, or safeties.  We needed starting LBs.  Our starting 5 on the OL was weak.

If the biggest need is a back up OT, then we should be in pretty good shape.  At least that is what I am telling myself until I see the play on the field.

The guy I want to see this preseason is Grant Hermanns , the UDFA from a year ago out of Purdue. They seem to like him from some of the stuff I have read.  Huge guy. Think he was on PS last year. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Pretty sure it will be Edoga or McDermott 

McDermott was ahead last year, but there have been some decent reports about Edoga this summer. Sometimes the big guys take longer to develop. If he can step up into that role, that would be a big win. 

I don’t know how much interest these guys have in these older OTs. I think if they sign anyone, it’ll be a waiver pickup when the cuts start coming in. I think what they’re ultimately looking for is a replacement at RT for if/when Becton moves back to the left side. That’s the way I’d play it, I’d be looking strictly at RTs knowing that this year Becton is essentially the backup LT while starting on the other side. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, slats said:

McDermott was ahead last year, but there have been some decent reports about Edoga this summer. Sometimes the big guys take longer to develop. If he can step up into that role, that would be a big win. 

I don’t know how much interest these guys have in these older OTs. I think if they sign anyone, it’ll be a waiver pickup when the cuts start coming in. I think what they’re ultimately looking for is a replacement at RT for if/when Becton moves back to the left side. That’s the way I’d play it, I’d be looking strictly at RTs knowing that this year Becton is essentially the backup LT while starting on the other side. 

Isn't that why they just drafted Mitchell?

8 minutes ago, slats said:

This. Plus with McDermott, Edoga, and our newest gem Max Mitchell in the fold it could be JD wants to see one of these guys step up and become our swing tackle. Max is probably going to be the guy, simply because the other two kinda suck and Max is the new kid we know the least about. Plus most back up tackles come from the 4th round, which is where we found Mr Max. Max was drafted for a reason, just needs time and reps to put it together. Hopefully this will become a focus during TC. We'll start to find out as preseason games come along, but I'm really hopeful at this point. If Max and the others just can't be relied upon enough, JD will pull another 11th hour trade, but I'm sure he's waiting to see what we already have.

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

Isn't that why they just drafted Mitchell?

2 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

This. Plus with McDermott, Edoga, and our newest gem Max Mitchell in the fold it could be JD wants to see one of these guys step up and become our swing tackle. Max is probably going to be the guy, simply because the other two kinda suck and Max is the new kid we know the least about. Plus most back up tackles come from the 4th round, which is where we found Mr Max. Max was drafted for a reason, just needs time and reps to put it together. Hopefully this will become a focus during TC. We'll start to find out as preseason games come along, but I'm really hopeful at this point. If Max and the others just can't be relied upon enough, JD will pull another 11th hour trade, but I'm sure he's waiting to see what we already have.

I thought the word on Mitchell was that he probably needed a year in an NFL weight room. Developing into that RT would be a best case scenario. I’m not sure that he’s even locked into playing tackle at this point, though. I don’t think he’ll be the #1 backup at OT this year, at all. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

I thought the word on Mitchell was that he probably needed a year in an NFL weight room. Developing into that RT would be a best case scenario. I’m not sure that he’s even locked into playing tackle at this point, though. I don’t think he’ll be the #1 backup at OT this year, at all. 

Agree with this, was just commenting on "eventual" replacement at RT if Becton moves back. Not for this year, unless dire straits, but down the road, maybe 2-3 years.

46 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've read the thread.   Here's how it went:

Dunnie - man, we dont have depth past Becton/Fant, if ones goes down Zach could struggle. 

Cowbell - here are 2 names. 

JiF - here is another name

Cowbell - I've never heard this name so he doesnt have a shot

JiF - he's the 4th round pick

Cowbell - read the thread.

Confused Kid Cudi GIF by Apple Music

Love this.  You should do these synopsis posts for more threads.  

• Haha 1