3 pleasant surprises standing out at 2022 Jets training camp

LIJetsFan

This list is dumb. 

There has been little news about Whitehead. 

Kwon has been at camp like 1 day. 

Bacon may have a new attitude, but still getting ran over by everyone on the D. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 10
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Smashmouth said:

Bacon ...that could stick covers all the bases

I've been calling him Bacon for a little over the year at this point. 

Until his ass gets out there and proves us all wrong, he is Bacon. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 4
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, JTJet said:

This list is dumb. 

There has been little news about Whitehead. 

Kwon has been at camp like 1 day. 

Bacon may have a new attitude, but still getting ran over by everyone on the D. 

This.

Plus, they are all starters. You expect them to perform. Irvin Charles on the other hand…

• Upvote 3

It is a fair list - thanks for posting.

Possibly we have not heard much about them is because our lame ass media is so concerned about posting negativity regarding Becton and Wilson.

I get they have the most attention on them but our writers need to balance that along with the positives from non high profile players. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

I've been calling him Bacon for a little over the year at this point. 

Until his ass gets out there and proves us all wrong, he is Bacon. 

I've never seen a jet fan so excited to take victory laps on the failure of a player.  You win SOJF of the week award. Congrats

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Whitehead shouldnt be surprising but Kwon coming in straight off the streets and laying wood is surprising IMO,.  I dont think he was an assumed starter either, so I think it applies. 

And if you read the commentary, I get Becton being on the list too.  This board has killed the kid for an entire offseason for being lazy and fat.  In this very thread, someone is calling him "Bacon".  So irony at work here, he's apparently in great shape and playing really well, wouldnt that be surprising to someone that calls him Bacon?  lol

lol, fair

i guess in some ways, we suck so bad you could put anyone that looks competent in that list 

• Upvote 1

Mims is another. We all had written him off, some were hoping for 'something' out of him, but seems he's been killing it this TC. Mostly from Flacco and White. I'd love to see him get some 1st team reps and build some chem with ZW.

Haven't heard much from Berios yet. Most passes going to Moore. Are Berios and Moore on the field at the same time? Seems they both play the same position, with Moore getting 90% of the reps.

There was also an unknown LBer crushing and unknown RB to end the practice a few days ago. Wouldn't mind a total no-name break thru and become a team fav. I know, I know....they always get cut in the end, but still! We need some Cinderella stories in camp. 

20 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I've never seen a jet fan so excited to take victory laps on the failure of a player.  You win SOJF of the week award. Congrats

You havent met @T0mShane and Zach Wilson then. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Becton, though, surprised most by arriving at training camp in terrific shape and in a very positive state of mind. He readily accepted a change to right tackle and, by all accounts, has excelled on the field during team drills and 11-on-11s.

This is a transparent lie, but is consistent with what the Jets coaches have been trying to shoehorn into the press for the past few days.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

This is a transparent lie, but is consistent with what the Jets coaches have been trying to shoehorn into the press for the past few days.

Well I choose to overlook his puking his guts out and him being gassed that first day.  I don't know if it's my lying eye but he does look fit and in football shape to me in general.  

11 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Mims is another. We all had written him off, some were hoping for 'something' out of him, but seems he's been killing it this TC. Mostly from Flacco and White. I'd love to see him get some 1st team reps and build some chem with ZW.

It’s interesting that we’re not hearing more about him, especially the fact that he’s got some work with the special teams this summer - which he previously had never done. Coming into camp, I had him as the player most likely to be traded. I guess he still could be, but the fact that they’re not aggressively hyping him might be a sign that they’re, instead, looking to hold onto him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

The veteran has been the talk of camp since joining his new team on the field Monday just three days after signing as a free agent. Without benefit of OTAs or minicamp, Alexander was in such good shape that he stepped right into 11-on-11 contact drills, delivered some big hits and started coaching up his defensive teammates.

Karate Kid Yes GIF by IBTrav Artworksgolf clap GIF 

• Haha 1

The craziest thing to me about this staff is that they keep going after guys that were not particularly successful with them and give them a 2nd chance.  Particularly on D.  I remember the fat ******* carpetbagger bringing in all "his guys" but at least most of them had success with him Byers, William Roberts, Pepper Johnson, Jerome Henderson. 

Solomon Thomas was a huge bust in SF and didn't even make it through is rookie deal.  He went to LV and moved to DT and was okay.  They gave him small, but make the team money to play what position?  Kwon Alexander got a ton of money, tore his pec and when he was ready to return, they traded him for a conditional 5th and rotting corpse of Kiko Alonso who they cut without activating.  They drafted DJ Reed in the 5th.  He was mostly an eh slot corner.  In 2020 they waived him off the NFI list and the Seahawks picked him up.  When Quentin Dumbar got hurt, they played him outside and he did well.  Now the Jets gave him a real contract.  Even Tevin Coleman probably didn't live up to his deal in SF.

I guess they all know the system and are solid fits.  That was probably super important last year.  Maybe with how bad the D was they feel they needed more of that?  Also, I guess the vast majority were there when they made it to the super bowl against KC.

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

The craziest thing to me about this staff is that they keep going after guys that were not particularly successful with them and give them a 2nd chance.  Particularly on D.  I remember the fat ******* carpetbagger bringing in all "his guys" but at least most of them had success with him Byers, William Roberts, Pepper Johnson, Jerome Henderson. 

Solomon Thomas was a huge bust in SF and didn't even make it through is rookie deal.  He went to LV and moved to DT and was okay.  They gave him small, but make the team money to play what position?  Kwon Alexander got a ton of money, tore his pec and when he was ready to return, they traded him for a conditional 5th and rotting corpse of Kiko Alonso who they cut without activating.  They drafted DJ Reed in the 5th.  He was mostly an eh slot corner.  In 2020 they waived him off the NFI list and the Seahawks picked him up.  When Quentin Dumbar got hurt, they played him outside and he did well.  Now the Jets gave him a real contract.  Even Tevin Coleman probably didn't live up to his deal in SF.

I guess they all know the system and are solid fits.  That was probably super important last year.  Maybe with how bad the D was they feel they needed more of that?  Also, I guess the vast majority were there when they made it to the super bowl against KC.

Saleh has admitted that they actually thought Reed was an outside guy but refused to put him out there. He was quite a bit better than "played well"

There's a chance this defense takes a big step forward.  The talent on the field this year will be night-and-day different from last season, as much as 50% different in the starting lineup.  Last year's group had a notable ceiling simply because of the lack of talent on the D.

Carl Lawson is back, Jordan Whitehead at S looking good, Kwon Alexander upgrading a subpar LB group, DJ Reed at CB, and 1st round talents in Sauce Gardner and Jermaine Johnson.  On paper, huge potential for this group if they can figure out how to play together well.  And this doesn't include some other good players like Quinnen, JFM, etc.  

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1