Scrimmage

1 minute ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Breece Hall still seems like some absurd dream: Jets actually drafted the best 3-down RB in the draft and the tape shows the guy has the vision AND Speed!?!?

it’s almost too good to be true, but we haven’t had a RB break a big 40+yard TD run at MetLife in front of the fans in YEARS!!!’ (Correction: RB in a Jets uniform,lol)

Thank you Joe Douglas!  Thank you!!

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2

54 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I can buy that Zach looked underwhelming. There was a severe lack of big plays today. Personally, I liked seeing Zach do the repeatable in an effective way. Someone with less interest in that type of football might see that Zach was cautious to the point of disappointment. 

The progress we saw last year came at a cost.  Sure, he stopped turning the ball over but throwing for 100, 87, 200 yards and TD a week and throwing up high teens, low 20's scores, will not cut it.  This is all meaningless so I'm not going to say I'm concerned but something to think about especially when you consider the concerns with Zach's game coming into the league.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

In 3 possessions he threw for 100 yards for 10 points and ran for 25.

12 possessions per game is average…

On pace for  passing 400 running 100 and 40 points of offense.  

Plus on pace for like 10 pathetic drops a game too, so that’s nice.  

The drops kill me.  I have such little patience for them.  Corey Davis' drop on the last drive is often the difference between losing or winning the game.

We've had far too many players over the years who are bad football players.  They fail to make the play that means the difference.

Give me guys like Conklin & Berrios all day!!  Thank God they are on this team and have chemistry with Wilson.

I think many of us our getting the same feeling about Sauce.  A guy you can rely on to stop a key third down.  Hopefully, Breece Hall is THAT type of guy on the offensive side.

Finally starting to come together but we're often reminded why we have stunk for so long.  Catch the ball or take a seat.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

They were really bad plays. I have to assume he got fooled bad by the pre-snap read. Those two plays were so radically different than the drives before them. 

Yup.  People who weren’t there can criticize the messenger.  I have not been overly critical of Zach.  But that needs  to be cleaned up

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

At some point, he will overtake Davis on the outside.  But he has 0% to play over berrios in the slot.  Braxton Berrios is the starting slot receiver.  How long it will take Jet fans to accept this is up for debate.

Geez ... He will play slot this year. Well according to the coaches 

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jeff Smith is a JAG extroadinairre and has no business being on this team.  If we are going to carry a 6th receiver behind Mimsy, give it to Calvin Jackson, Rashard Davis or Irvin Charles.  

Lmaoo when i said this Some here got mad at me. Dude is the new David Clowney. Monster in shorts and shirts. Super JAG When the pads come on.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I'd be with you if not for the 5 drops and shorter scrimmage.  Context is important here.  The Jets drives were killed because the WRs couldn't make simple plays on good throws, several of which were 15-20 yards down the field.  

The way to evaluate is to map out the drives assuming the receiver caught the F-in ball.  Or to confirm that Berrios caught the 3rd down pass on the 2nd drive by challenging.  

I've seen too many Jets drives END because of inept players .... or at very least ... bozo plays from some of our better players.  If Corey Davis can't catch, then it's Garret Wilson's time sooner than later.  If Jeff Smith can't catch in his 4th year in, then he shouldn't be on the team.

To be frank, that's why I value Berrios so much.  The guy catches everything and keeps drives alive.  I'd like to see more of Conklin, Moore (I'll forgive him for his drop tonight), Berrios and G Wilson over Davis (who is proving to be a liability because he cannot be counted on).

Competition because of solid depth is so important because it means if you can't get the job done, next man up.  We're finally in a position where this is possible.

First and foremost, I wasnt there, so I'm just going off of what I'm reading and concerns others raised from their observation.  Further, I really dont want to get into a heavy debate on this because again, this is all utterly meaningless but I dont think you can pin drops on what could potentially be a growing concern.  The other part around here is, drops are subjective.  Some of the stuff I've seen call a drop could have also been on the QB.  Anywho, they happen, it's part of the game and maybe not for every drop but it sounds like he had a couple boneheaded plays, like that INT someone just posted.  And frankly, this doesnt really address the point I made.  Multiple repots of a somewhat underwhelming, uninspired, just dink and dunking, mixed w/ some horrendous throws, so I dont see how a few drops negates that type of playing style. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Plus WRs on pace for like 10 pathetic drops a game too, so that’s nice.  

I'd like to reach through my screen and smack you for quoting stats from a scrimmage and having audacity to extrapolate that out into this nonsense. Not hard, just a little love top to let you know just how ridiculous you sound.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JiFapono said:

The progress we saw last year came at a cost.  Sure, he stopped turning the ball over but throwing for 100, 87, 200 yards and TD a week and throwing up high teens, low 20's scores, will not cut it.  This is all meaningless so I'm not going to say I'm concerned but something to think about especially when you consider the concerns with Zach's game coming into the league.

Agreed. If Zach Wilson is scared to throw deep then why start him over Mike White who can’t throw deep but is better than Wilson in the short game. 

However, the 3 drops that stand out were on passes of 20 yards, 30 yards and about 35 yards so maybe the vertical portion of the offense is just taking a little longer to gel. I don’t know yet. Also I’m assuming some are counting the throw to Berrios as a drop but it would’ve required a good catch from Berrios on a ball that came up short from Zach. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Plus WRs on pace for like 10 pathetic drops a game too, so that’s nice.  

It was 4 possessions. TD, Fg, Int, then turnover on downs in the final possession/2 minute drill. 

9 hours ago, JTJet said:

Because if you're in such great shape and an amazing new attitude, you wouldnt need to be on a snap count. 

I'm not sure where this man gained the benefit of doubt along the way? I seriously mean that.

Fant was on a snap count too.   Why isn’t he being criticized?   Lawson too

• Upvote 3

Thanks tremendously to all the contributors including @fullblast showing one of the bad throws.  That cleared up questions I had about it.

Did I read correct that every throw over 10yds was dropped?  If so that's an issue that position coach needs to fix! 

I think I also read Conklin,  sauce, and breece are showing signs of awesomeness. 

JJ and Smith are not

The medical and coaching staff are taking the reintroduction of injured players very seriously

Outside of a couple bad plays Zach looks much improved from TC last year. 

THere was some good back and forth from the O and D

Oh... and Garrett did something exceptionally stupid. 

Does that cover it? 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Connor Hughes reported 5

12-19 with 5 drops and 2 horrible throws?

I'm not sure 5 is accurate.  It was more likely 4 (Smith, Moore, Davis 2x's)

Zach had that dime to the corner of the end zone to Wilson who couldn't get his feet down.  That's an incompletion that wasn't a drop. 

Three of those drops were 20+ yard completions (Smith, Davis, Moore)so the explosive plays were there if guys just catch the damn ball. 

Either way, the kid looks good.  Just wait until the running game gets cranked up and teams are forced to crowd the box. 

It's going to get explosive! 

EDIT- Barrios dropped one too.  So the 12-19 number can't be correct when I'm counting 6 incompletions. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I posted this earlier, but he had three 20+ yard completions dropped.  Davis, Smith, and Moore.  Add 60 yards and it looks very aggressive and explosive. 

9 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Here’s the Davis drop.  Yeah that’s a bad drop.

Davis should have caught that, however, the ball gets there late and is behind him. The QB needs to start releasing that when Davis gets to the top of his stem. That's not all on Davis. It is difficult to allocate blame on "drops" if you can't watch the play. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jeff Smith is a JAG extroadinairre and has no business being on this team.  If we are going to carry a 6th receiver behind Mimsy, give it to Calvin Jackson, Rashard Davis or Irvin Charles.  

I think you could get Smith onto the PS so agree give WR 6 to a kid with real upside. l like the big boy.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Agreed. If Zach Wilson is scared to throw deep then why start him over Mike White who can’t throw deep but is better than Wilson in the short game. 

However, the 3 drops that stand out were on passes of 20 yards, 30 yards and about 35 yards so maybe the vertical portion of the offense is just taking a little longer to gel. I don’t know yet. Also I’m assuming some are counting the throw to Berrios as a drop but it would’ve required a good catch from Berrios on a ball that came up short from Zach. 

So in four possessions he attempts three passes over 20 yards and puts them in a good enough spot that they all should've been caught and we're saying he isn't aggressive?  He went long on 2 out of 4 drives.  

This is micro nitpicking. 

• Upvote 1