Jump to content

Scrimmage


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, maury77 said:

@TomShane

Oh, I absolutely agree. I didn't like Davis in the top 10 of the 2017 draft and I've never been a big fan (I had him on my fantasy team a few times). Hopefully Davis is the 4th or 5th on team receptions this year because I don't think you can have a successful offense if he is your primary weapon in the passing game. 

Jets need to primarily run the offense through the backs, Moore and the TEs to be successful this year (I think Garrett Wilson will need a year or so because he's a rookie). 

I could be wrong but I think the romance with Davis in this offense is his blocking.  Based on pure playmaking ability, he's always been a JAG level performer thru out his career, never exceeding 70 receptions, 1000 yds or 5 TDs in a single season.   

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, kdels62 said:

So here’s my final observations (I will take questions):

Zach Wilson: Last year I came away from the Green and White scrimmage worried about the QB1. This year I feel very differently. The kid showed accuracy and arm strength and quickness that lacked last year. While I’m still waiting for the return of his big play ability he is doing other things well. He had a throw in the first 11v11s where he stepped up in the pocket and side armed the ball around the pass rusher to the flat. It was very cool. Anyway I liked his performance today.

Conklin: He’s good. Dynamic in small areas. 

TEs generally: Cager flashed with a few catches, Yeboah did the same, Uzomah is steady. It’s a good room and someone with potential is going to be cut. Ruckert  is lucky he was a 3rd rounder at this point.

OL: Sign Duane Brown. Good day for Max Mitchell

WRs: Corey Davis isn’t in danger of getting cut but his first team reps were limited. Moore was silent. Jeff Smith is either bad or not idk anymore. Mims had some short slot catches. Wilson is fun. Irvin Charles is intriguing. 

Sauce Gardner: He’s a baller. If he got beat it was deep and very close to the sideline. Very popular, he feels like a star.

LBs: Minimal contact so little takeaway here. Kwon played with the second team.

Jermaine Johnson: Not a good day for the rookie. Got shut down by Mitchell then run at for a big gain. He failed to disengage in time a few times. I came out more skeptical about him. 

Pass rushers: Martin, Huff, Lawson, Zuniga were active 

IDL: Solomon Thomas looked good, Rankins took a knock, just please keep Q healthy. 

Bryce Hall: Good Day

 

Thanks for the recap. Encouraging about Zach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, JTJet said:

Lawson? The man coming off a major ACL tear? 

You're comparing him to Becton who should have been back 5 weeks after his injury? 

Ok?

Do you really think the Jets should have kept Becton and Fant out there for another 10-15 plays just to prove something to the Twitterzzz feedzzz about an hour after Connor McDermott went down with a fairly significant ankle injury?

It's Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF man!

 

The last thing we need is Fant or Becton rolling an ankle and then Duane Brown whispering to Douglas, "I want 50% ownership of the stadium."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Drums said:

Not gonna lie, surprised to hear Max Mitchell did well. I hope he is way better than my gut tells me he will be. 

The only knocks against him that I recall was that he was a bit undersized (needs to add some weight over the next year or two) and he didn't come from a top tier program with elite competition.  Other than that, he's always seemed like a good prospect.  Good feet, good hands, and very good fit for this type of system (which I think is what elevated him for the Jets in this Draft).  Also seems to be a good character guy and very competitive.  Would be great if he can prove to be starting caliber in camp next summer '23.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jethead said:

I think you could get Smith onto the PS so agree give WR 6 to a kid with real upside. l like the big boy.

Agreed.  I don't know how many other teams would be anxious to snatch Jeff Smith off the Jets practice squad and put him on their 53.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JiFapono said:

It will be very impressive when Duane Brown (if the Jets sign him) plays both T positions if both Fant and Becton are injured at the same time.

 

Max Mitchell is going to be legitimately good. Get on board.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The only knocks against him that I recall was that he was a bit undersized (needs to add some weight over the next year or two) and he didn't come from a top tier program with elite competition.  Other than that, he's always seemed like a good prospect.  Good feet, good hands, and very good fit for this type of system (which I think is what elevated him for the Jets in this Draft).  Also seems to be a good character guy and very competitive.  Would be great if he can prove to be starting caliber in camp next summer '23.

PFF was a fan

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed.  I don't know how many other teams would be anxious to snatch Jeff Smith off the Jets practice squad and put him on their 53.

I have never seen any numbers on it, but I think a lot of these young WRs are usually a pretty safe bet to make it through to the PS.  How likely is another team to sign a young receiver to their active roster who has not had any practice time in a new offense and also has not built any chemistry with his QB.  I guess you risk losing a guy who could sign with another team's ps on cut down day, but I think the risk is minimal.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Lith said:

I have never seen any numbers on it, but I think a lot of these young WRs are usually a pretty safe bet to make it through to the PS.  How likely is another team to sign a young receiver to their active roster who has not had any practice time in a new offense and also has not built any chemistry with his QB.  I guess you risk losing a guy who could sign with another team's ps on cut down day, but I think the risk is minimal.

Virtually every NFL team has a "Jeff Smith" in their mix already.  No need to double down with our Jeff Smith..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/6/2022 at 10:48 PM, maury77 said:

Why do you feel that way? I'm not looking to argue, just trying to understand. 

So I take back what I said honestly. I was at the scrimmage and it’s so much harder to observe a player in person. 
 

I noticed multiple receivers also had multiple drops. I would like if he avoided the INT tho. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...