Saleh gives the same answer all the time when asked how he will measure success.

Alka

When Saleh was asked how he will measure the success of the team this year, he gives the same non-committal answer.  He says basically that if the players go to bed better than when they wake up, and do that on a consistent basis, then the results will be there.

When my boss asks me "Where are your sales numbers", how do you think he will react when I tell him that I measure success by the work I do each and every day, and that when I go to sleep at night, the effort I put in will speak for itself?

What kind of leader is Saleh, who won't come out and say that the team needs to be vying for a playoff spot in December, or just saying, a lot more wins than last year?  If he won't hold himself accountable by giving out something better than all gas, no brake, then how can he hold the players accountable? 

Personally, I'm getting sick of his baloney answers about his measuring success.  I remember when Parcels said that "your record is what your are".  Meaning that if you are a 4-13 team, then you basically suck.  

I hope that Joe Douglas does a better job of holding Saleh accountable then "we are a better team", or the "players are getting better each and every day" type of attitutde.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 5
  • Confused 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

My impression is that the team, internally, is pretty confident, and that the way he interacts with them is a lot different than the way he interacts with the press. His answers aren’t much different than any other coach in the league, especially one coming off a season where they earned the #4 pick. 

I agree that the team seems to be very confident, and that's a good thing. I really do wonder how he interacts internally with the players?  I would really love to know that.

17 minutes ago, slats said:

My impression is that the team, internally, is pretty confident, and that the way he interacts with them is a lot different than the way he interacts with the press. His answers aren’t much different than any other coach in the league, especially one coming off a season where they earned the #4 pick. 

5 minutes ago, Alka said:

I agree that the team seems to be very confident, and that's a good thing. I really do wonder how he interacts internally with the players?  I would really love to know that.

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

+1. They have defined goals. They're just not making it public. 

Sneak peak at the chalkboard from the most recent team meeting:

2f1d8311c2829361b40753526c459134.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

What do you want him to do @Alka

If he says playoffs in year 2 of rebuild... that will bite him if we're not in the playoffs by the fan base. 

He hasn't seen anything of ZW except against gang Green... he can't be talking about a jump he hasn't seen proof of yet or we will call for his head.

I agree with @slats, i think the tone of the players talks to what he's bringing to the locker room

but to bring that to the fans and fail to live up to it.... is like anytime Wyle coyote shops at acme. 

Explode Blow Up GIF by reactionseditor

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PorP said:

What do you want him to do @Alka

If he says playoffs in year 2 of rebuild... that will bite him if we're not in the playoffs by the fan base. 

How about saying what Joe Douglas said a few months ago?  That he expects the Jets to be playing meaningful games in December this year.  

No playoff predications.  No win totals.  Just saying the wins will be better, and he expects the team to be playing meaningful games late in the year.

• Confused 1
  • Post of the Week 2

15 minutes ago, Larz said:

He should give very specific answers so the media can use it against him, much smarter 

Everything in life doesn't have to be black and white.  
"We will be playing better, and there will be more wins".  "I expect to be playing meaningful games late in the season".  

If he can't project a more positive statement than we will go to bed better than when we woke up, then I don't have a lot of confidence in him.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Alka said:

How about saying what Joe Douglas said a few months ago?  That he expects the Jets to be playing meaningful games in December this year.  

No playoff predications.  No win totals.  Just saying the wins will be better, and he expects the team to be playing meaningful games late in the year.

He already said that 80 times last year in case you don't remember. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

No offense but confident?   Confidence in playing each other? As usual at this time of year the hype machine is in full bore...  Lets see how they do when they scrimage next week.  I not interested in the love fest that the media and some posters are egaged in.  I want to see a physical, competitive team that can win more then lose and maybe just maybe make the PO before i die. 

• Thumb Down 1

Very different industries. Sales depends on sales, period. Running a pro sports team is not the same. I know people want to point to wins and losses, but that is only part of it. For instance is the team getting better, and their losses close and competitive? If you take over a doormat team the idea the first couple of years is to get better, and build a foundation (which on paper they have coming into this season). The Jets should be far better this year. That is what matters. Far better representing a bunch of variables past just wins and losses.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alka said:

When Saleh was asked how he will measure the success of the team this year, he gives the same non-committal answer.  He says basically that if the players go to bed better than when they wake up, and do that on a consistent basis, then the results will be there.

When my boss asks me "Where are your sales numbers", how do you think he will react when I tell him that I measure success by the work I do each and every day, and that when I go to sleep at night, the effort I put in will speak for itself?

What kind of leader is Saleh, who won't come out and say that the team needs to be vying for a playoff spot in December, or just saying, a lot more wins than last year?  If he won't hold himself accountable by giving out something better than all gas, no brake, then how can he hold the players accountable? 

Personally, I'm getting sick of his baloney answers about his measuring success.  I remember when Parcels said that "your record is what your are".  Meaning that if you are a 4-13 team, then you basically suck.  

I hope that Joe Douglas does a better job of holding Saleh accountable then "we are a better team", or the "players are getting better each and every day" type of attitutde.

It's not just Saleh.  Today's coaches have a list of canned answers that they give to the same questions over and over again.

• Upvote 1

When the players go to bed they

1 hour ago, Alka said:

He says basically that if the players go to bed better than when they wake up, and do that on a consistent basis, then the results will be there.

When the players go to bed they wake up the next day a day older.  So does the fan base.  The results for all the players and the fans are the same.  At some point none of us wake up in the morning.   Some of the Jets fan base is ready for a dirt nap pretty soon.  

Saleh unfortunately is a nice guy who's into positivity as a way to get results.  He's not a guy who's really insightful who's going to give you something to think about and possibly change your life.  

When I think of great coaches, great political leaders, religious leaders, business leaders, they are usually optimists but they are also brilliant, insightful, nuanced, funny.   Sadly I think Saleh is missing a lot of that.  I do think he's a very nice guy.  I'm hopeful but not as optimistic that he can play in the same sandbox as the top NFL HC's.  

I know you're all thinking what about Bill Belichick.  He's clearly and outlier to my point.   What he does have is he's a tactical genius.  In much the same way the Raymond Rabbitt, the "Rain Man" could count pick up sticks.  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

this is such a dumb take. you and your boss having meetings in public for everyone to hear?

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

EARNED!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It's not just Saleh.  Today's coaches have a list of canned answers that they give to the same questions over and over again.

the questions suck.  they need to be a bit more specific to get anything of value.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

Spooky 

• Haha 3

I understand why Saleh responds the way he does. It is smart and what he says doesn’t matter anyway. What happens on the field matters and they’re not necessarily related. Probably different in house anyway. Screw the media. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1