Joe B coming back to WFAN

25 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Please, if there ever was a poster boy for a SOJF its Joe . 

I’m not sure how to define that but in a market often dominated by Giant fans it was nice to hear a Jet fan on the air some times. Sports radio has lost its prominence today with so much on line content but back in the day I enjoyed some of his takes when the FAN was popular and I shared his long time loyalty dating back to the Namath glory days. I understand he wasn’t for everyone. 

3 hours ago, docdhc said:

My pride in being a Jets fan is unaffected by whatever crazy is out there rooting for the team whether here on the board or in the media. That being said I liked Joe’s passion over the years and he really understood the angst of our fan base.  His recaps on the few times the Jets had big success during Parcels or Rex were fun to listen to. So were the epic rants when we really screwed up in Jet like fashion. The constant negativity wore thin though, especially in his later years.  He might be fun to listen to if the Jets do become an exciting young team on the rise like we are hopeful for. There aren’t many real Jet fans on the air even In the NY market so I appreciated him for that. 

I root for the Jets out of commitment, not pride. That’s probably where we differ. I’m standing behind a decision made by the same 8-year old me that thought Santa was real. 

Id like to see them not suck. I’d like to live in different states snd not be lumped in with the neurotic caricatures people across the country associated with Jets fans - like Joe. This comes from real experience: the second you confess to rooting for the Jets, folks immediately firm judgements that you have to hope you have the chance to disprove. 

I’ve lived outside NY for 20+ years. Several different states and even more communities.

We need respectable faces f the fan base. This guy ain’t it.

• Upvote 1

Like Francesa, Joe B is kind of a tired act at this point.  I still do listen to parts of their podcasts on occasion though.  And I think both can still pull off an NFL show.  No matter how far they've fallen though, they're still better than the crap that is still at WFAN.  I'm amazed at how awful that station is (and ESPN Radio is no better).  They need Joe B to do a football show with Evan probably because no sports fan gives a crap about Craig Carton's sports takes (assuming he even has them, which I can't verify that he does based on the random times I turn on WFAN in the car).  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I root for the Jets out of commitment, not pride. That’s probably where we differ. I’m standing behind a decision made by the same 8-year old me that thought Santa was real. 

Id like to see them not suck. I’d like to live in different states snd not be lumped in with the neurotic caricatures people across the country associated with Jets fans - like Joe. This comes from real experience: the second you confess to rooting for the Jets, folks immediately firm judgements that you have to hope you have the chance to disprove. 

I’ve lived outside NY for 20+ years. Several different states and even more communities.

We need respectable faces f the fan base. This guy ain’t it.

I’m not sure we are different. I’m committed to the Jets since age 9 when Joe was drafted. You said Benigno made you feel ashamed to be a Jet fan. I’m proud to be Jet fan whether I like all other Jet fans or whoever claims to represent them. I’ve lived in the Philly area the last 30 years. I think impressions of Jet fans are more tied to the ineptitude of the football team over time than any other factor. Anyway I agree that I’d like them not to suck too, and then I think we would be looked at differently. 

18 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I’m not sure we are different. I’m committed to the Jets since age 9 when Joe was drafted. You said Benigno made you feel ashamed to be a Jet fan. I’m proud to be Jet fan whether I like all other Jet fans or whoever claims to represent them. I’ve lived in the Philly area the last 30 years. I think impressions of Jet fans are more tied to the ineptitude of the football team over time than any other factor. Anyway I agree that I’d like them not to suck too, and then I think we would be looked at differently. 

I'm embarrassed at Fireman Ed.  Joe B is at least funny and has the "every man" vibe going for him.  

47 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Different in that I don’t even think about the Jets in the context of pride. I have no influence if control over them. I’m not proud or not proud of being a fan. It’s just a commitment.

I’m ashamed to be associated with Joe as a result if us both being Jet fans. It’s a nuanced difference, but it’s different.

32 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm embarrassed at Fireman Ed.  Joe B is at least funny and has the "every man" vibe going for him.  

Whining, complaining, over-reacting, and blaming?

I grew up being taught no man should act like that.

41 minutes ago, Bugg said:

FAN makes this place look like the Oxford Debating Society

https://oxford-union.org/debating/

Proposition; Craig Carton is a convicted felon with nothing of substance to say, and 4 hours of radio time to fill each weekday. 

When I saw the topic, I was hoping that Carton was leaving for an FS1 gig or something, but alas. If Michael Kay did anything more than use his show to vigorously suck off The Joey Gallo of the Day in service of Brian Cashman every single time they turn the mics on, they could probably compete in this market and get Carton out of there. Saw that the execrable Keyshawn/Jason Williams abomination pulled a 1.9 in the spring book, which is basically a test pattern number. Absurd that ESPN can never admit they ****ed up huge on that one. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I always liked Joe B and never understood the hate; he never morphed from fan to media guy but it's kind of sad that a 70 year old couldn't just enjoy life in retirement and needs to drive into Manhattan every Saturday to scream about the Jets.  I tried to watch a few of his Youtube videos and he's looking pretty rough and just seems miserable.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Doing a Saturday show with Evan starting Sep 10 and on every Monday mid day to dissect the Jets 

What time will the celebratory parade down Hudson St be starting?  Wouldn't want to miss this momentous event.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

When I saw the topic, I was hoping that Carton was leaving for an FS1 gig or something, but alas. If Michael Kay did anything more than use his show to vigorously suck off The Joey Gallo of the Day in service of Brian Cashman every single time they turn the mics on, they could probably compete in this market and get Carton out of there. Saw that the execrable Keyshawn/Jason Williams abomination pulled a 1.9 in the spring book, which is basically a test pattern number. Absurd that ESPN can never admit they ****ed up huge on that one. 

How bout I raise you

2 hours ago, undertow said:

I always liked Joe B and never understood the hate; he never morphed from fan to media guy but it's kind of sad that a 70 year old couldn't just enjoy life in retirement and needs to drive into Manhattan every Saturday to scream about the Jets.  I tried to watch a few of his Youtube videos and he's looking pretty rough and just seems miserable.

He's a real New Yorker.  Miserable.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

What a great day it would be if Carton left (or was fired).  I still can't believe there are people that listen to this guy.  And I still can't believe that WFAN thought he was a good hire.  I could be wrong but I think they're #1 in their timeslot.  That probably has a lot more with "there are no other choices and I'm used to listening to WFAN" than anything else though.  Carton and Roberts is a joke of a show.  All of these shows are awful.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, undertow said:

The most miserable people on here seem

to dislike him for being miserable. Kind of ironic

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What a great day it would be if Carton left (or was fired).  I still can't believe there are people that listen to this guy.  And I still can't believe that WFAN thought he was a good hire.  I could be wrong but I think they're #1 in their timeslot.  That probably has a lot more with "there are no other choices and I'm used to listening to WFAN" than anything else though.  Carton and Roberts is a joke of a show.  All of these shows are awful.

he’s a criminal. Down right criminal and all the “welcome back” calls are beyond annoying. 

19 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

The most miserable people on here seem

to dislike him for being miserable. Kind of ironic

I never thought he was a miserable person I found him hilarious he's just a fan of a miserable franchise.... but he is not aging gracefully. lol

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

In other similar news, it was recently announced that they are finding the polio virus in waste water in parts of New York.  Both announcements show you just can't get rid of some terrible things we thought were eradicated.  

"finding"brianne altice thread GIF

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Can't figure why Carton thinks we are still in the radio shock jock era

13 hours ago, yvj said:

Can't figure why Carton thinks we are still in the radio shock jock era

Complete loss. If you want to see naked chicks and more, the internet can do that for you. 

This guy ripped people off. He is a convicted criminal. He is still a degenerate gambler, and probably worse. 

20 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Positive vibes Joe B is going to be awesome.  Winning is coming jet fans.  Better get used to it.

I think there's a real chance you're going to be right.  And I think Joe B will surprise people.  Despite what some people think, I don't think he's a "1 trick pony" type guy who is negative for "shtick" to help his ratings.  I think he'll embrace winning (assuming we finally start to turn things around this year).  And if we end up stinking again, I'll still get laughs out of hearing his reactions.  It's better to find the laughter in (rather than to wallow in misery over) Jet losses.  As an added bonus, he helps stir up the forum by people getting upset over his reactions.