FA OT Duane Brown visiting Jets

This would be a very good signing if the Jets can close the deal. 

I think folks are under-rating Brown a bit. Yes, he's getting up in years, but Olinemen can play well late into their 30s. And he's a former 1st round pick, career-long productive starter, 5 time Pro Bowler and 3 time All-Pro.

As insurance for Fant/Becton, Brown would be an excellent option.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

They said he left the field the other day.  I didn’t see any updates.  

He’s also been overwhelmed by the upgrade in competition.  He’s not ready this season.  

A mystery injury, and a year on IR adding size and strength could be in his near future.

• Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

What team in the nfl has pro bowl backup players?

Asking for serviceable is =/= asking for pro bowlers. Asking for a serviceable backup plan is required for a guy who's played less than half the starts he was eligible to play. If JD signs Brown, I'm all for it. We need a tackle.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, freestater said:

Asking for serviceable is =/= asking for pro bowlers. Asking for a serviceable backup plan is required for a guy who's played less than half the starts he was eligible to play. If JD signs Brown, I'm all for it. We need a tackle.

Exactly he’s looking to make a good signing and you were crying about Mitchell in your original comment for some reason

3 hours ago, mrcoops said:

This would be a very good signing if the Jets can close the deal. 

I think folks are under-rating Brown a bit. Yes, he's getting up in years, but Olinemen can play well late into their 30s. And he's a former 1st round pick, career-long productive starter, 5 time Pro Bowler and 3 time All-Pro.

I also looked him up on Wikipedia. 

TBH I'm not totally sold on our OL (just yet). It's EZ to think our line will be dominant...it certainly could...but there's just too many ??? for me to feel great about it this soon. There will be elements of our line that will be great, like running behind AVT and Highway 77. We could have the most dominant right side in the entire league.

But I worry about Fant repeating. He doesn't have the pedigree of years of success on the left side. Just one year. I worry about the 2nd year.

Becton playing on the right side in pass pro is another. Not only his knee holding up, but his pass blocking in general. Once again, he seems to have been beaten by every pass rusher we have on the team. I know he played 'some' RT in college, but I still worry. 

I'm thrilled to have picked up Laken Tomlinson. He's sooo durable (I think I read somewhere he only missed on game since 2015). I think him and Scherff were the top guards available this FA, and we got the best one (I sure hope so as we're paying him $13m per). But as good as he is, I also recall him getting bull-rushed back into Garoppolo's lap repeatedly during the playoffs, so I need to see him perform well on our line before I can relax.

Don't know how much of our line we'll get to see play tonight in the g/w scrimmage (a few series I guess). Duane Brown will be watching from the sidelines (a guest of JD's for the game). I hope he's impressed with the team and Saleh, and decides to sign on here on a team friendly deal. It'd be great to have a solid swing tackle, but I still think JD wants to see how the guys he already has here perform before handing out anything but a minimal contract.

Almost game time! 

• Upvote 2

Ah, to be a Jet fan.  As always we absolutely MUST sign every possible FA.  Of course, I get that we need a swing tackle ... though I'm not sure how that applies to a guy who has never played RT in his life.  I'll just get my popcorn and see how this unfolds.

4 hours ago, mrcoops said:

A mystery injury, and a year on IR adding size and strength could be in his near future.

This seems like the smartest move.  Sign someone like Brown who can play either side in the event of an injury, let mitchell develop and avoid having connor mcdermott every playing meaningful snaps

Folks, unfortunately, Duane Brown is not the answer.  He was absolutely awful last year.  He's unsigned in large part because he gave up 7 sacks and 33 pressures last year. 

He's 37 years old ... he's done ... it's over for him.  I'd rather the Jets sign D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- whose only 1 year older -- if they're going to sign an over-the-hill tackle, lol.

Why the Jets Shouldn't Sign OT Duane Brown 

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/why-new-york-should-not-sign-free-agent-offensive-tackle-duane-brown-scouting-report

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, BigGreenFan said:

Folks, unfortunately, Duane Brown is not the answer.  He was absolutely awful last year.  He's unsigned in large part because he gave up 7 sacks and 33 pressures last year. 

He's 37 years old ... he's done ... it's over for him.  I'd rather the Jets sign D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- whose only 1 year older -- if they're going to sign an over-the-hill tackle, lol.

Why the Jets Shouldn't Sign OT Duane Brown 

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/why-new-york-should-not-sign-free-agent-offensive-tackle-duane-brown-scouting-report

Yeah nah it's much better we go with Chuma Edoga.

We're not exactly spoiled for choice. We're desperate to find a stop gap because we let go of Moses and failed to prepare for the inevitable Becton collapse.

Brown should be signed. Whatever they feel the next best option is should be signed as well. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Yeah nah it's much better we go with Chuma Edoga.

We're not exactly spoiled for choice. We're desperate to find a stop gap because we let go of Moses and failed to prepare for the inevitable Becton collapse.

Brown should be signed. Whatever they feel the next best option is should be signed as well. 

Yup.  It's slim pickings at this time of the year.  Sign Brown and someone else (Brandon Shell, Darryl Williams) and let them compete. It's the best we can hope for at this point.