Jump to content

Mim's Agent Visiting Jets - Trade possibilities


BCJet
 Share

Recommended Posts

Quote
7 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Connor Hughes reported that Mim's agent is visiting the Jets and there are rumors of him looking for a trade.  Obviously its just rumors, but if you look at it objectively, even if Mims has an A+, dominant pre-season and training camp, he basically cannot get higher on the depth chart then 5th WR.  Moore, Wilson, Davis, and Berrios are all entrenched ahead of him through either talent, contract or skill set.   Regardless of his past 2 seasons, Mims does have talent and seems to be having a good camp, so if a trade is requested what could JD be looking at in return? (side note, I do not think we will trade him within our division).

  • The easy suggestion isn Tevin Jenkins - they are both second round picks, who are struggling with their current teams.  The Bears also need WR help and we need a swing tackle but Jenkins is apparently getting poor reviews for attitude and maturity in chicago and that is not the type of player that JD looks for.
  • Jessie Bates is holding out and plays a position we need, but Cincy has a ton of WRs so I dont think Mims they would want to include Mims in a package for Bates (in addition to a high pick that we would need to give up)
  • Baltimore needs WR help and JD has a relationship there, but I dont think they have DT, OT or S to spare so im not sure what we would want from them other then a future pick
  • Green Bay could use a WR and their system is similar to what we run and there is obviously a relationship there - they do have some young OL that could be part of a swap but I dont know much about their  young guys.
  • The Texans need help everywhere and Mims played in Texas, plus they have multiple firsts from the Watson deal, so maybe they cough up a 4th for a young player.

I know most of the board doesnt like Mims, but to me he is too physically talented to give up on without getting something solid in return, especially if he is working on special teams, has a good attitude and is under contract (which he obv is).  If Davis were to go down, Mims is the perfect replacement for that role and could allow us to let go of Davis after this season, save some cap space and still have someone to fill the "big target" role on offense

I'd be willing to move Mims for some reasonable value, but seems to me nuts to just cut him.  And if nothing else he can play a role.  For example, I can envision a goaline package where he and C. Davis are in along with the TEs.  Both are fantastic run blockers and both have some height for a jump ball.  In any case, I'd hang onto him a bit to see what happens.  C. Davis probably won't be back next year I don't think, though I haven't checked his contract (lately).

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mims is probably 5th, like you say, but I think (if JD keeps him) Mims could be 3rd or 4th. Berios was delegated to 5th after drafting Garrett Wilson, which moved Elijah Moore back to the slot (Berios' position). And with Moore killing it, we won't be seeing tons of Berios outside of kickoffs and two slot receiver sets, or if Moore gets injured (again).

In 17 short games from now, Mims will take over for Corey Davis as our starting Z receiver, with Garrett on the other side and Moore in the slot.

There IS a future for Mims, it's just not this season. Plus Mims is a mauler in the run game....one of his strengths and something LeFleur wants to do a lot of.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, NewGuyJet said:

OT, but I do not see Eli Moore as primarily playing the slot.  I'd say he plays 50% or more of his snaps outside.

I respect that, and he certainly could. But I also view his time on the edge last year as 'necessity' due to injuries that didn't really pan out. 

Could Moore become a dominant Z receiver? Maybe, but he already IS a dominant slot WR. Or will be very soon. Plus Moore's pretty short for an outside Z WR winning jump balls on the sidelines. With Corey and Garrett on the outside, I really don't see tons of reps for Moore out there. Plus Mims crying for his Z reps (if we keep him). Moore is a good football player who can play anywhere, but it comes down to where is he BEST at.

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

There IS a future for Mims, it's just not this season

This is so disgustingly over optimistic that it almost deserves a ban. 

So a second round pick is supposed to see the field in his 4th season?

Woof. Those are some low expectations right there. 

  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

Connor Hughes reported that Mim's agent is visiting the Jets and there are rumors of him looking for a trade.  Obviously its just rumors, but if you look at it objectively, even if Mims has an A+, dominant pre-season and training camp, he basically cannot get higher on the depth chart then 5th WR.  Moore, Wilson, Davis, and Berrios are all entrenched ahead of him through either talent, contract or skill set.   Regardless of his past 2 seasons, Mims does have talent and seems to be having a good camp, so if a trade is requested what could JD be looking at in return? (side note, I do not think we will trade him within our division).

  • The easy suggestion isn Tevin Jenkins - they are both second round picks, who are struggling with their current teams.  The Bears also need WR help and we need a swing tackle but Jenkins is apparently getting poor reviews for attitude and maturity in chicago and that is not the type of player that JD looks for.
  • Jessie Bates is holding out and plays a position we need, but Cincy has a ton of WRs so I dont think Mims they would want to include Mims in a package for Bates (in addition to a high pick that we would need to give up)
  • Baltimore needs WR help and JD has a relationship there, but I dont think they have DT, OT or S to spare so im not sure what we would want from them other then a future pick
  • Green Bay could use a WR and their system is similar to what we run and there is obviously a relationship there - they do have some young OL that could be part of a swap but I dont know much about their  young guys.
  • The Texans need help everywhere and Mims played in Texas, plus they have multiple firsts from the Watson deal, so maybe they cough up a 4th for a young player.

I know most of the board doesnt like Mims, but to me he is too physically talented to give up on without getting something solid in return, especially if he is working on special teams, has a good attitude and is under contract (which he obv is).  If Davis were to go down, Mims is the perfect replacement for that role and could allow us to let go of Davis after this season, save some cap space and still have someone to fill the "big target" role on offense

From what Ive heard about Mims and Corey Davis, I wouldnt trade Mims.   Davis hasnt lived up to expectations and is getting 12 million a yr.

If Mims continues to develop he could be an in house replacement at a much lower cap number.  I like having a talented wr room- even with injuries we will still be explosive.   Why dump him for a low draft pick?  

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JTJet said:

This is so disgustingly over optimistic that it almost deserves a ban. 

So a second round pick is supposed to see the field in his 4th season?

Woof. Those are some low expectations right there. 

I think these are two different things.  If this were the prediction for Mims and his future when he was drafted, it would be horrible.

What it is right now, is a long-term look at a guy who took a huge step back in year two in a new offense.

With the additions that were made via the draft and free agency, Mims goes from being a primary target to a guy who can now play sparingly and take over for Davis next season.

Doesn't mean the Jets will do it (could showcase and trade) but given the way things have unfolded, it would make sense if the Jets feel like it'll work out.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

From what Ive heard about Mims and Corey Davis, I wouldnt trade Mims.   Davis hasnt lived up to expectations and is getting 12 million a yr.

If Mims continues to develop he could be an in house replacement at a much lower cap number.  I like having a talented wr room- even with injuries we will still be explosive.   Why dump him for a low draft pick?  

Davis was on pace for 1000 yards had he been healthy, and that was with him being on the field where the QB play was at its worst. He didn’t play in any of the mike white or josh Johnson games where the team racked up a ton of passing yards. Corey davis is pretty under rated. $12 million is chump change for a WR that can get 1k yards. 
 

with that being said, we’d likely get a 5th or 6th rounder at best…maybe another player that isn’t living up to their potential. I’d rather just hold mims since we have two years of control and just see how he develops. The kid has the tools, just needs to  work on the mental side of things. Injuries can happen at any time, it would not be the worst thing in the world for him to be plugged in if one of moore, Wilson, or Davis were to miss time.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, FootballLove said:

I respect that, and he certainly could. But I also view his time on the edge last year as 'necessity' due to injuries that didn't really pan out. 

Could Moore become a dominant Z receiver? Maybe, but he already IS a dominant slot WR. Or will be very soon. Plus Moore's pretty short for an outside Z WR winning jump balls on the sidelines. With Corey and Garrett on the outside, I really don't see tons of reps for Moore out there. Plus Mims crying for his Z reps (if we keep him). Moore is a good football player who can play anywhere, but it comes down to where is he BEST at.

I think Moore, Davis and Wilson will all alternate between playing outside and in the slot.  Jetsxfactor did a good article on using davis in the slot even though he is primarily an outside WR with his size.

I also see Berrios being used a lot out of the backfield and in more non-traditional roles.  He caught a ball on a wheel route after going in motion the other day in practice which is something I bet we see a lot of.

I so see Mims taking over for him in 2023 and want to keep him here, just thought it was an actual discussion topic  for anyone saying SOJF..

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, FootballLove said:

I respect that, and he certainly could. But I also view his time on the edge last year as 'necessity' due to injuries that didn't really pan out. 

Could Moore become a dominant Z receiver? Maybe, but he already IS a dominant slot WR. Or will be very soon. Plus Moore's pretty short for an outside Z WR winning jump balls on the sidelines. With Corey and Garrett on the outside, I really don't see tons of reps for Moore out there. Plus Mims crying for his Z reps (if we keep him). Moore is a good football player who can play anywhere, but it comes down to where is he BEST at.

Last year Moore was targeted 77 times, only 25 of those targets came from the slot. I know that was the talk when he was drafted, and it’s easy to pigeonhole smaller guys into slot roles (like DJ Reed at CB), but that doesn’t mean they can’t play and excel outside. For reference, Moore is basically the same size as Tyreek Hill. Berrios is seeing plenty of time with the 1s in the slot, and I think we can expect that to continue. He’s a very good, and very underrated slot. And with the bolstered TE corps, they don’t need more inside receivers. 
 
Also, Mims is much more of an X, the big receiver lining up on the line than the Z who plays off the line, giving that player room to move before engaging the CB. 
 
Garrett Wilson being ready to go as a rookie is the key. If that happens, I think what you’ll see is him and Moore as the main guys playing in two receiver sets, with Davis and Berrios playing a lot, but situationally. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mims reminds me of "angry" Doug Baldwin. Carved out a meaningful role for himself in Seattle but always felt wronged by someone or some thing. Nevertheless he was a good player and still found a way to add value.

Looks to me like a keeper.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

I think Moore, Davis and Wilson will all alternate between playing outside and in the slot.  Jetsxfactor did a good article on using davis in the slot even though he is primarily an outside WR with his size.

I also see Berrios being used a lot out of the backfield and in more non-traditional roles.  He caught a ball on a wheel route after going in motion the other day in practice which is something I bet we see a lot of.

I so see Mims taking over for him in 2023 and want to keep him here, just thought it was an actual discussion topic  for anyone saying SOJF..

Good stuff....ya that wheel rout was sweet. Braxton came out uncovered, gave Z a great pass option. I too think we'll see a lot of BB in the same gimmik plays we saw him in last season...he's sooo good at them. I wrote my original take b/c I don't know if this puts Braxton as our #4 WR ahead of Mims, if we keep him.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, FootballLove said:

I respect that, and he certainly could. But I also view his time on the edge last year as 'necessity' due to injuries that didn't really pan out. 

Could Moore become a dominant Z receiver? Maybe, but he already IS a dominant slot WR. Or will be very soon. Plus Moore's pretty short for an outside Z WR winning jump balls on the sidelines. With Corey and Garrett on the outside, I really don't see tons of reps for Moore out there. Plus Mims crying for his Z reps (if we keep him). Moore is a good football player who can play anywhere, but it comes down to where is he BEST at.

As I understand it, Moore's performance out wide was better than in the slot.

Some info:

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/11/23/elijah-moore-outside-wr-slot/

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NewGuyJet said:

As I understand it, Moore's performance out wide was better than in the slot.

Some info:

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/11/23/elijah-moore-outside-wr-slot/

"The difference in output is night and day. Moore has not done much of anything in the slot. When lined up as the outermost receiver to his side, he has been playing at a superstar-caliber level. He is just as capable of dominating along the sidelines as your favorite tall, big-bodied, “No. 1” wide receiver."

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, slats said:

Last year Moore was targeted 77 times, only 25 of those targets came from the slot. I know that was the talk when he was drafted, and it’s easy to pigeonhole smaller guys into slot roles (like DJ Reed at CB), but that doesn’t mean they can’t play and excel outside. For reference, Moore is basically the same size as Tyreek Hill. Berrios is seeing plenty of time with the 1s in the slot, and I think we can expect that to continue. He’s a very good, and very underrated slot. And with the bolstered TE corps, they don’t need more inside receivers. 
 
Also, Mims is much more of an X, the big receiver lining up on the line than the Z who plays off the line, giving that player room to move before engaging the CB. 
 
Garrett Wilson being ready to go as a rookie is the key. If that happens, I think what you’ll see is him and Moore as the main guys playing in two receiver sets, with Davis and Berrios playing a lot, but situationally. 

Thanks for clearing up the X vs Z.

When we drafted Mims we were thrilled to have a tall, VERY FAST WR who excelled at coming down with those 50-50 balls. Then life happened, covid, food poisoning, hammies, and here we are, 2 seasons later trying to figure out if we even need him on the team! Crazy.

I know a lot of folks say trade him, and JD probably will, but man I'd hate to see this talented kid leave so soon. Mims struggled learning the rout trees, fair since he didn't have either TCs his first 2 seasons. But now it seems he's in top shape and at least trying to run more routes. 

Think of it like this: If Corey Davis is not available, either thru injury or off the team next season, having Mims would be huge for our offense.

As far as Moore playing outside last season, we had Braxton in the slot along with that other guy (name escapes me) who was our #1 WR for 2 yrs, so there weren't really many opportunities for Moore to play the slot. This year is different tho, and I expect those numbers to reverse (77/25). Just my thoughts....

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As Jet fans, one of the most refreshing moments will be when, individually or collectively, we realize that he's no longer on the team and we have not heard the name Mims (or dealt with his mishegas) every 20 seconds.  I don't smoke.  But on that day, I will buy and light up a cigar.

  • Post of the Week 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, NewGuyJet said:

As I understand it, Moore's performance out wide was better than in the slot.

Some info:

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/11/23/elijah-moore-outside-wr-slot/

That was soooo last year! JK. Could Moore excell on the outside? Sure. But with Mims, Corey, and Garrett playing outside, that leaves the slot to Moore and Braxton. Most of Moore's TC highlites (either Zack or Flacco) seemed to be coming from the slot. Hard to tell, but it wouldn't surprise me if Moore was moved inside for 70%+ if his 2022 reps.

Saleh and LeFleur both like players to learn multiple positions, and like their WRs to learn multiple tree routs that gives them max flexibility when lining playrs up and calling plays. It may depend on what defense we're playing as to where Moore lines up.

Can't wait!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FootballLove said:

That was soooo last year! JK. Could Moore excell[sic] on the outside? Sure. But...

You're missing the point though (I say respectfully)  It's not a hypothetical question of whether he could excel on the outside.  He already has.  And at an extremely high level -- better than his performance in the slot.  Might he be even better in the slot this year?  Maybe.  But that's the unknown.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d do Mims for Jenkins.  Both guys having issues at current teams, maybe a change of scenery could help.  I don’t know much about Jenkins’ situation in Chicago, but I know he was a darling of the draft forum.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...