Becton delivers early statement in camp…

24 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Apparently the tough love approach some of us have taken with Mekhi acted as a positive motivator to him. I mean, his reasons for actually training, participating and working hard weren't because he wanted to better himself, master his craft, earn the contract he was given or anything valorous, but to, in his own words, "silence the HayTeRzZ"

I will gladly take credit for this if he reaches the Pro Bowl. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Not saying Becton is free of any blame but the fact that many people here thought he’d never play another snap with us just shows you that at least 25% of our fan base is allergic to thinking.

Who said he'd never play another snap? 25% of fans have said that? Really?

The Becton situation has been problematic and worrisome and his reactions, timeline, and social media posts have only made it weird. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Read it again, my friend. It specifically states that he “showed up in much better shape than minicamp,” when he weighed 397 pounds and was sweating butter 

And he went from the imaginary 395-400+lbs to 370?  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

The Becton situation has been problematic and worrisome and his reactions, timeline, and social media posts have only made it weird. 

If Saleh, today, could trade Becton for another season of Morgan Moses, he would. Becton, to put it kindly, is a high maintenance guy playing right tackle—a position that isn’t important enough to justify having a high maintenance player manning. Coaches have enough to worry about. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Not saying Becton is free of any blame but the fact that many people here thought he’d never play another snap with us just shows you that at least 25% of our fan base is allergic to thinking.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

How low is the bar for a former 11th overall pick when the best thing you can say about him is that he’s participating in training camp?

Ok….  So we will see who is right.  Im with @T0mShane   Becton has lost any benefit of the doubt.   I hope he is a stud. 

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Curiously omitted are the 10+ sacks he allowed in those 8 practices. 

And if you are counting, how many sacks have the other OL given up (in shorts and helmets)?  Is it less? More?  Is anyone keeping track?  Were these practice sacks all Becton's fault or were there stunts, coverage sacks, QB issues etc?  Have you seen a single one of these sacks with your own eyes or are you basing both the number of sacks and the sacks themselves on tweets from the beat writers?  How many practices have YOU watched?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Please dont let facts stop kool aid drinkers from cheering.   We all want Becton to play well… but his track record on and off the field raise eyebrows to say the least.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

More than a few said it.  Who cares what the actual number was.  More than a few said he wasn’t driven, wrong according to the original negative beat guy.  Or that he was lazy doing nothing more than playing video games.  The amount of dumb takes that have been wrong is as long as the excuses as to why they weren’t actually wrong, that practicing isn’t important.  Now. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And if you are counting, how many sacks have the other OL given up (in shorts and helmets)?  Is it less? More?  Is anyone keeping track?  Were these practice sacks all Becton's fault or were there stunts, coverage sacks, QB issues etc?  Have you seen a single one of these sacks with your own eyes or are you basing both the number of sacks and the sacks themselves on tweets from the beat writers?  How many practices have YOU watched?

Was Becton dominant in all the practices that you, personally, witnessed?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Please dont let facts stop kool aid drinkers from cheering.   We all want Becton to play well… but his track record on and off the field raise eyebrows to say the least.  

Exactly. We want him to come back and dominate, but it's unreasonable to not wonder about him due to the totality of the circumstances over the past couple of years.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

3. Trade? The Jets have solid depth at wide receiver -- at least six deep -- which could make them a popular team later in the preseason when trading starts to heat up. The Denver Broncos and Dallas Cowboys already have lost key receivers to significant camp injuries -- Tim Patrick and James Washington, respectively -- so they could be looking. The obvious trade candidate would be Denzel Mims. He’s having a solid camp, but it could be a numbers game. Right now, he’s no better than fifth or sixth in the pecking order.

Mims said he’s worthy of a starting role, claiming, “I show it every day. It’s up to them if they play me or not.” Sounds like someone who might not be happy in a backup role.

This just makes too much sense. Hope we get a decent pick.

Just a question I've had about Mekhi: I believe it's been said that he needs to get down to 365 pounds. Is that the ideal weight for him in terms of injury maintenance? 

Jonathan Ogden is 6'9" and he played around 345. I wonder if Mekhi, two inches shorter than Ogden, would be better off long-term to get leaner than 365. I don't know enough about his body makeup compared to Ogden, just wondering. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Bectons name has shown up in reporters tweets in regards to getting beat for sacks far more than any other starting linemen. It's not even close. 

Even if the blame is ultimately 50% of what they have been saying, it's still bad. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

not that he proved all of you wrong

Did he? He showed up and made weight after crash dieting for a month (we'll see if he can get in top shape prior to week 1). That it came to that reaffirms what people have been concerned about as he's a pro athlete as opposed to food tester. I doubt anyone is rooting for him to fail. In fact I think we're all rooting for him to succeed regardless of the occasional fat joke, and questioning his desire for which he has fueled that speculation himself (that isn't to say a bored fan base doesn't run with rumors either). 

• Upvote 2

I was thinking about what the best case scenario for Becton might be so I looked up who the best right tackles were and was immediately reminded that we passed on Tristan Wirfs (the actual consensus best RT) for Mekhi Becton (who is practicing! Like every day!)

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Kind of cool thingy I just saw, the Jets host the Ravens week 1 on 9/11, that's pretty cool.  Sure there will be an electric crowd with all the excitement surrounding this team.

I also noticed when I look at my calendar is that the Jets still have 35 days before Mekhi Becton is required to play an entire Football game.  Which is also, pretty cool if you're into the NY Jets being a good team and stuff.

• Upvote 2

Becton and Mims are the square pegs on this team. Both have NFL level ability, even elite potential. Both also appear to be introverted, sensitive and defensive, even angry. If the Jets can find a way to bring them along with all the other pieces that seem to fit so well together, we will be a much stronger team. I think they are getting there with Becton and starting to show progress with Mims. Fingers crossed.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Apparently the tough love approach some of us have taken with Mekhi acted as a positive motivator to him. I mean, his reasons for actually training, participating and working hard weren't because he wanted to better himself, master his craft, earn the contract he was given or anything valorous, but to, in his own words, "silence the HayTeRzZ"

When he actually completes some games and plays well, I won't need the gratitude of the multitudes of long-suffering Jets fans (ahem... @JiFapono). Their pure pleasure at their team doing well will be my reward. Not sure if I'd use the word "hero" but...I might not be the hero they want....

Bruce Wayne Batman GIF by HBO Max

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Did he? He showed up and made weight after crash dieting for a month (we'll see if he can get in top shape prior to week 1). That it came to that reaffirms what people have been concerned about as he's a pro athlete as opposed to food tester. I doubt anyone is rooting for him to fail. In fact I think we're all rooting for him to succeed regardless of the occasional fat joke, and questioning his desire for which he has fueled that speculation himself (that isn't to say a bored fan base doesn't run with rumors either). 

Yeah he proved all of this wrong. 
He’s in shape.  Start there.  All the hes fat, lazy etc talk was all wrong.  Don’t give us the crash diet nonsense.  You don’t have a clue what he weighed.  Y

Just like you have idea how much he lost.  All we know is that he showed up in shape.  He wasn’t eating doughnuts and spending all his time playing video games like the narrative around here by many was.  
And of course you continue to make jokes about being a food tester, whatever that means, questioning his drive etc.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, freestater said:

When he actually completes some games and plays well, I won't need the gratitude of the multitudes of long-suffering Jets fans (ahem... @JiFapono). Their pure pleasure at their team doing well will be my reward. Not sure if I'd use the word "hero" but...I might not be the hero they want....

Bruce Wayne Batman GIF by HBO Max

You truly are the wind beneath my wings.  When you fill them with your love, I can fly higher than an eagle.  It's post like this that make me realize, you're everything I wish I could be.  I guess you didnt realize this, but did you ever know, you were already my hero? 

• Haha 3

These negative Becton posts are laughable.  He's in good shape.  He's done nothing but consistently improve week after week.  And he hasn't missed any time.  He's a giant human coming back from a serious injury.  All in all, if you can't see potential, you're just another attention troll. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

You truly are the wind beneath my winds.  When you fill them with your love, I can fly higher than an eagle.  It's post like this that make me realize, you're everything I wish I could be.  I guess you didnt realize this, but did you ever know, you were already my hero? 

People just want to be able to say they were right if he turns out to not be any good. 

27 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Kind of cool thingy I just saw, the Jets host the Ravens week 1 on 9/11, that's pretty cool.  Sure there will be an electric crowd with all the excitement surrounding this team.

I also noticed when I look at my calendar is that the Jets still have 35 days before Mekhi Becton is required to play an entire Football game.  Which is also, pretty cool if you're into the NY Jets being a good team and stuff.

I think I have a St Jude’s bet out with a few dudes that Becton doesn’t make this start. If any of you are the ones I made the bet with, please remind me.