Becton delivers early statement in camp…

18 minutes ago, PepPep said:

This is revisionist history because the guy got paid a ton of money after his 5th year (All Pro/ ProBowl) and two seasons later fell off a cliff. 

Mo Wilk was a good to very good player the first 5 years of his career for the Jets. Even in his 6th year when he struggled to live up to his massive contract he was a good player- he didn't 'suck'. In his 7th year he fell off a cliff and it was clear he no longer wanted to be here and/or was no longer the player he once was. That was when he moved on to GB. 

-Of those 6 productive years- 2013 and 2015 were All-Pro seasons (Pro-Bowler in 2015).

-Wilk was never a sack guy but throughout his 7 year career on the Jets he recorded double-digit tackles for a loss in 5 of his 7 seasons, including two monster years (mentioned above) where he recorded 12 and 10.5 sacks respectively. 

-He accumulated 11 forced fumbles his first 6 seasons on the Jets. 

-He accumulated 25 pass deflections in his first 6 seasons with the Jets. 

He was a perfect 3-4 DE who may not have piled up a ton of sacks but was solid as a rock against the run, lived in the backfield and impacted games on a regular basis. He gave the Jets at least 5 years of great production.

I can understand why he left a bitter taste in Jets fans mouth because his play diminished shortly after he signed a big contract. But when you consider the fact that Wilk was in the NFL for only 8 seasons. Majority of that was really good play for the Jets. At least 5 seasons but probably more like 6. Saying he wasn't a 'good player' and had 'one good year' is complete nonsense. It would be more accurate to say that he had 'one bad year'- at least for the Jets. 

Ill go with good…. But slow. While his stats were good, i found him slow to the play when it counted.   It’s like Joe Torre citing AROD. AROD had good stats but did little to help the team.  My memories, perhaps clouded, were of him being low impact, slow and never  living up to a 1st round pick but lets stay on Becton.  Lets hope he makes an impact.  

8 hours ago, PepPep said:

This will depends on a myriad of factors, mainly, IMO, how well Denzel is actually performing throughout the season. While some may think that Denzel playing well may increase his trade value and improve the odds that he gets dealt, I think its the opposite. Odds are, if the Jets were going to trade Mims, they would have done it by now. 

If the light goes on and he starts developing chemistry with Zach and has a 'breakout year'- or what you could consider a breakout year for him, and the Jets have, for all intensive purposes a good season (maybe they miss the playoffs but end up with a winning record)- I highly doubt JD will trade Mims because he will be the incumbent #2 outside WR to take over Davis' spot.

While C. Davis is not a FA after this season, however he has an out in his contract where his dead cap drops substantially. The Jets could save a ton (10mil?- don't quote me on that) if they release him. It may make a lot more sense to do that and sign a high priced FA to help the team in another area rather than trade Mims and net a 4th, lets say even 3rd round pick if the guy is playing well. 

Lets say Mims plays poorly. Well, his trade value plummets. Maybe JD will end up flipping him for a 6th but odds are he just holds on to him until the end of the season when he can re-evaluate the roster. 

Lets say Mims plays ok. Not great. Not bad. We see some flashes but he is inconsistent. Well, this is the most plausible scenario for a trade-deadline trade. However, odds are the Jets will need the depth at the WR position that even an 'ok' Mims brings- and the 5th or so draft pick that he may net won't equate to the value he could bring as a critical depth piece. 

The only really likely scenario where Denzel gets moved during the season is if guys like Davis and Wilson really break out while Mims just does well enough to maintain some level of trade value. AND the WR core needs to stay healthy where losing Mims won't really hurt the rotation. AND most likely, the team is not in a playoff push scenario where every depth piece is critical. Then moving him, even for a 5th or 6th rounder make sense.   

As always JMHO.  

Great thoughts.

- I worry more and more about Davis. The drops are an issue. If Mims is coming along, and if he is okay with biding his time still, and if he can run crisp routes and catch, then maybe we need to wait until he's ready to step in.

- I can't help but worry that Mims isn't screaming and yelling that he isn't starting. We hate drama queens and the guys who holdout or throw fits, but if he feels he's a #1 or #2 shouldn't he be a bit more demanding? I have a hard time thinking E.Moore would be okay being the WR#4 or #5 in year three.

- I was sure the coaching staff was done with Mims last year. This summer, not so much. I think you make some good points.

• Upvote 1

I don’t care what he did to get in shape or how out of shape he got when he was injured.  He got his big body in shape, accepted a new position and is practicing.  How fricken long do we have to hear the nonsense about 400 lbs. All of a 30 lb weight gain.  

Oooooffff, This didnt age well.

Homers hate the truth

Well, here is one part of the problem, lol.  
I don't care what he weighted in the offseason.
I care what he weighs at the start of Week 1's game.
Too much TMZ-esque drama going on over Becton's off-season, off-field status.  
Worry about what happens ON the field IMO.  Not off it.

Jeeez, all the typical know it alls looking like fools thanks to our latest legendary bust.

"Just like you have idea how much he lost. " You're right, I do have an idea actually, at least 40 lbs.
It was reported that he was up to 400 lbs during his rehab. It was reported that he lost a bunch of weight between the previous mini camp and camp. It was also reported he had to pull himself at the beginning of camp and take a knee a few times because he was easily winded. Becton's own words are that he started working hard to prove his critics wrong potentially implying he wasn't previously. Prior to you asking for sources there's one below, and a simple search will turn up others.
https://www.espn.com.au/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/89287/can-new-york-jets-mekhi-becton-disprove-critics-as-he-approaches-pivotal-year
""We were able to get his weight back down into the 300s, for sure," Becton's nutritionist, Ann Claiborne, said last week."
"Claiborne said she's not at liberty to reveal Becton's current weight, saying only, "It is under 400.""
"Under Claiborne, who works with professional athletes as the founder and CEO of Customized Concierge Nutrition, Becton hired a personal chef and was prescribed a diet that emphasizes lean meats, vegetables and complex carbs. Because of his knee injury, it’s an anti-inflammatory and alkaline diet with triple the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables he was previously consuming, Claiborne said. He avoids processed foods.
At the start, Claiborne cleaned out Becton's pantry and restocked it with healthy options. When it's time to eat, he just reaches into the fridge and pulls out a precooked meal from his chef."
So the main difference in his nutrition is that his nutritionist threw away all the food he had been eating and now he's eating lean meat, and plant based foods. Sounds like he was eating sh*t previously which sounds like what many of us had been saying. It doesn't take a nutritionist to know lean meats and plants are better than chips and ice cream. It also doesn't take a chef to prepare them unless you lack motivation to do so.
Saying that someone is back down to the 300s means they were in the 400s. As I've stated in other threads about his weight as a huge person he has to take extra care and not put on excess weight because he won't be able to rehab as others and that his body size makes it harder in general for his body to heal up. I used Kris Jenkins as an example previously as a huge dominate guy who could never stay healthy very long. So it hasn't been all fat jokes as you say. You've simply chosen to focus on them because you can't refute much that has been said otherwise.  
I said his job is a professional athlete not food tester. I meant his job is to be in shape as an athlete. A food tester is literally that; they sample food on assembly lines. I was making a point that clearly went over your head as you chose to focus on what you saw as a hurtful joke, ahhhh.
You seem very emotional. Sorry, but the last time I checked this was a message board about the Jets, and I'll critique whomever I want in any way I want based on their profession. Supporting someone doesn't mean having to suck them off.   

YOU SIR, ARE THE WINNER. Jetnut and Warfish and whoever else was spewing their homer nonsense deserve to do the Jetfan GOT Walk of Shame.

6 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Yeah, but his injury isn't anything to laugh or high five about as it hurts the team a lot. Plus, it's far easier and funnier to make fat jokes as opposed to the guy who dropped to the ground in pain and was lost for the year jokes.

He dropped to the ground so easily, because he was fat, though

23 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

See the 3rd or 4th post in the merged thread.  In my defense, there were people saying he wouldn’t play again just because they thought he was lazy/fat.  He was on pace to play and got injured (I don’t believe you can attribute this injury to him merely being lazy/fat)

Just like last year he only “got rolled up”

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

See the 3rd or 4th post in the merged thread.  In my defense, there were people saying he wouldn’t play again just because they thought he was lazy/fat.  He was on pace to play and got injured (I don’t believe you can attribute this injury to him merely being lazy/fat)

Why not? He's a professional athlete. His body is his job. Everything he said and everything we've heard indicates he wasn't serious about getting in shape until a month before training camp. He even said at minicamp all he needed to do was eat right and drink water to lose the weight before the season. Do you believe a crash diet is the best way to prepare for an NFL season and rehab a serious knee injury? What if he lost weight 6 months ago and took a lot of force/pressure off the knee. Don't you think the result may have been different as far as his rehab?

So yes, I can attribute this to laziness or just sheer ignorance. I like the kid, he's a great personality. I wish him well. But seriously, compare his offseason rehab to a guy like Carl Lawson who is relentless. He doesn't have to be Carl, but don't you believe he could have done a bit more?

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

He dropped to the ground so easily, because he was fat, though

Lol, I wouldn't say it was the fat that caused him to drop (gravity and his knee have more to to with it). However, I will say that conditioning means far more than not breathing hard after running a 40. Sometimes weighing less, and being more nimble/flexible, prevents injuries from happening. Particularly when your job involves smashing into another large person.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

Why not? He's a professional athlete. His body is his job. Everything he said and everything we've heard indicates he wasn't serious about getting in shape until a month before training camp. He even said at minicamp all he needed to do was eat right and drink water to lose the weight before the season. Do you believe a crash diet is the best way to prepare for an NFL season and rehab a serious knee injury? What if he lost weight 6 months ago and took a lot of force/pressure off the knee. Don't you think the result may have been different as far as his rehab?

So yes, I can attribute this to laziness or just sheer ignorance. I like the kid, he's a great personality. I wish him well. But seriously, compare his offseason rehab to a guy like Carl Lawson who is relentless. He doesn't have to be Carl, but don't you believe he could have done a bit more?

I've absolutely killed Becton because of his weight.  All of it tongue in check.  The guy has an eating disorder.  He's had it all of his life.  He's also a freak athlete with quick feet.  The combination of freak athletic ability and carrying lots of weight for years is much more likely to be at the root cause of his problems rather than a few months of hard diet and training that he's been getting away with for years in order to play football.   This isn't a one off. 

Becton has been enabled for his entire life.  He needs help.  Douglas should have known that risk when he drafted him. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rexorcism said:

Jeeez, all the typical know it alls looking like fools thanks to our latest legendary bust.

Becton getting hurt is bad for our team. 

Gloating about it just makes you look like a schmuck.

Warfish....spewing their homer nonsense

This forum is truly funny some days.  Notorious hater Warfish, spewing "homer nonsense" because I didn't predict a second injury to Becton.

/chuckle, ok mate.  Walk of shame, got it.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

People were saying he was never going to play again because every red flag that had been highlighted pre-draft came to be.

Normally these things are shocking and whether it's the Jets, Becton or the football gods who are to blame the reality is not one person was surprised to hear what happened. 

That's where the anger should be directed - Not so much at Becton himself but for the franchise that actually thought they could place their trust in him to start when all the evidence suggested that was unlikely. 

• Upvote 2

I've never gone for the Becton is "fat" or "lazy" stuff, but JD should not have penciled him in as a starter given his injury problems in both of his first two years, and he should not have to resort to yet another "hold the fort guy" to get the Jets through another season at RT. But he will, and I hope we can get someone as solid as we did last year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

I've never gone for the Becton is "fat" or "lazy" stuff, but JD should not have penciled him in as a starter given his injury problems in both of his first two years, and he should not have to resort to yet another "hold the fort guy" to get the Jets through another season at RT. But he will, and I hope we can get someone as solid as we did last year.

What should JD have done though?  He could've drafted an OL at #4 overall but what if Becton was fine?  Wouldn't that have been a waste of a pick?  IIRC he did draft a 5th round OL for the pipeline, but one who I think needs to sit a couple of years.  By the time our 2nd 1st rounder came up, all the top OL were gone (plus we needed GW anyway). 

34 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What should JD have done though?  He could've drafted an OL at #4 overall but what if Becton was fine?  Wouldn't that have been a waste of a pick?  IIRC he did draft a 5th round OL for the pipeline, but one who I think needs to sit a couple of years.  By the time our 2nd 1st rounder came up, all the top OL were gone (plus we needed GW anyway). 

I never said that JD should have drafted an OT in the first round. I actually slightly agreed with the "you shouldn't draft an OL in the first round three years in a row" crowd.  Sort of. :-)

I did want one of the 2nd round rated guys, and three of them actually fell into the early third round.  I would've loved one of those guys, but JD traded the Jets early 3rd (#69) to move up for Jermaine Johnson.  I guess I wish he'd somehow held onto that pick in the trade, and still been there at 69 to take one of those three guys (they ended up going between 69 and 77).

Hopefully JJ pans out.  And hey, Max Mitchell might turn out to be real good.  I'm hoping.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, TheClashFan said:

I never said that JD should have drafted an OT in the first round. I actually slightly agreed with the "you shouldn't draft an OL in the first round three years in a row" crowd.  Sort of. :-)

I did want one of the 2nd round rated guys, and three of them actually fell into the early third round.  I would've loved one of those guys, but JD traded the Jets early 3rd (#69) to move up for Jermaine Johnson.  I guess I wish he'd somehow held onto that pick in the trade, and still been there at 69 to take one of those three guys (they ended up going between 69 and 77).

Hopefully JJ pans out.  And hey, Max Mitchell might turn out to be real good.  I'm hoping.

Probably the most NFL-ready OL (non-centers) were all already taken by the time we took GW.

Dude gets rolled up from behind and gets hurt...it's because he's fat and lazy.

Dude has his patella tendon pull off his kneecap causing his knee cap to break....it's because he's fat and lazy.

That's just pure ignorance....but I forgot, everybody here got their MD from Harvard.

Now, did his fat and laziness cause his rehab last year to be extended - yep, it did.  Will it cause him to have trouble coming back from this injury, most likely.

Shame...because it looked like, for whatever reason, he finally got it over the last couple of months and worked hard to get himself ready for camp.