Becton delivers early statement in camp…

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think I have a St Jude’s bet out with a few dudes that Becton doesn’t make this start. If any of you are the ones I made the bet with, please remind me.

That he doesnt start week 1?  I wasnt part of this but I'd love for you to contribute to St. Jude's on my behalf. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Saleh's only view of Becton has been from the top of all those stairs. 

<Becton gives up another pressure to Tim Ward. Zach Wilson yips. Mike LaFleur, under his breath, is heard saying “broooooooooooo.” A yellow gummy bear, once stuck to Mekhi Becton’s heaving chest, breaks loose with the sweat and falls into the grass near the 32 yard line on the practice field.>

Robert Saleh (wincing): This is good. This is what I like.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

How low is the bar for a former 11th overall pick when the best thing you can say about him is that he’s participating in training camp?

Irony of course being that no matter what he does, we'll always get sarcastic replies like this when it comes to Becton. He literally can do no right for not so small portions of the fan base. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Becton and Mims are the square pegs on this team. Both have NFL level ability, even elite potential. Both also appear to be introverted, sensitive and defensive, even angry. If the Jets can find a way to bring them along with all the other pieces that seem to fit so well together, we will be a much stronger team. I think they are getting there with Becton and starting to show progress with Mims. Fingers crossed.

How dare you compare being introverted to being sensitive, defensive, and angry!

I've never been more personally insulted, and that makes me so angry! Consider yourself blocked!

18 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

lol - out of curiosity, what's your prediction on why our how?  He's not ready, injured, or they upgrade, or other?

I believe we made the bet three weeks ago when Becton was last seen pushing four bills. My thought was that he’d show up to camp at around 380, they’d throw him on PUP or the NFI list, then it’d be ye olde “Running more tests on his knee,” then short-term IR, then he’d get disappeared in the offseason.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I believe we made the bet three weeks ago when Becton was last seen pushing four bills. My thought was that he’d show up to camp at around 380, they’d throw him on PUP or the NFI list, then it’d be ye olde “Running more tests on his knee,” then short-term IR, then he’d get disappeared in the offseason.

Cool, what's the bet? 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I was thinking about what the best case scenario for Becton might be so I looked up who the best right tackles were and was immediately reminded that we passed on Tristan Wirfs (the actual consensus best RT) for Mekhi Becton (who is practicing! Like every day!)

Yeah well, Becton is a LT. Premium position, you know. Doesn’t compare.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

You truly are the wind beneath my winds.  When you fill them with your love, I can fly higher than an eagle.  It's post like this that make me realize, you're everything I wish I could be.  I guess you didnt realize this, but did you ever know, you were already my hero? 

bette middler beaches GIF

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Darnold&#x27;s Forehead said:

Not saying Becton is free of any blame but the fact that many people here thought he’d never play another snap with us just shows you that at least 25% of our fan base is allergic to thinking.

I remember the same fans believing in Stephen Hill, right to the end. Becton has more in common with Hills career at this point than any successful Jet.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I remember the same fans believing in Stephen Hill, right to the end. Becton has more in common with Hills career at this point than any successful Jet.   

Why is bectons career so different than Marcus maye? Maye was decent his first year, injured his second, then played well after that. 

Hill had very little college production. Was drafted soley on physical attributes. Becton started and played well for what 2 years? I don’t believe he started as a freshman. He only missed 1 game in college with a sprained ankle. OL is very difficult to find stats to see production, but hill had only 49 catches in 3 years. 

8 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Why is bectons career so different than Marcus maye? Maye was decent his first year, injured his second, then played well after that. 

Hill had very little college production. Was drafted soley on physical attributes. Becton started and played well for what 2 years? I don’t believe he started as a freshman. He only missed 1 game in college with a sprained ankle. OL is very difficult to find stats to see production, but hill had only 49 catches in 3 years. 

Marcus  was a very nice surprise…..   good comparison. I hope Becton follows his lead.  It is not common so yes, hats off to Marcus

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Interesting take.  
Funny you believe that was the best thing he said about Becton, not that he proved all of you wrong, made the countless fat, lazy, uninspired jokes look foolish by showing up in top shape 

Time to move on to disparaging the messenger.  Beats admitting you guys were so wrong

I'm not sure giving up chocolate pudding between OTA's and Training camp is a statement I would hang my hat on.  

11 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Now that a totally ridiculous statement 

56 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I'm not sure giving up chocolate pudding between OTA's and Training camp is a statement I would hang my hat on.  

Yeah that’s what -expel who didn’t think he was working out say when it’s apparent to anyone with common sense that he actually was, that he wasn’t posing on those shots of his workout. 
Also who still hang onto the idea that he was 400+ lbs at OTAs as if they were the carnival guy who guesses peoples weight.

Leave the Fn guy alone already, it’s the same shlt we went through with Q a year ago

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah that’s what -expel who didn’t think he was working out say when it’s apparent to anyone with common sense that he actually was, that he wasn’t posing on those shots of his workout. 
Also who still hang onto the idea that he was 400+ lbs at OTAs as if they were the carnival guy who guesses peoples weight.

Leave the Fn guy alone already, it’s the same shlt we went through with Q a year ago

Why would I leave him alone?   I'm part of his motivational coaching staff.  

20 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

not that he proved all of you wrong, made the countless fat, lazy, uninspired jokes look foolish by showing up in top shape 

He had to pull himself a few times on day one and take a knee because he was winded already. That isn't top shape, and no one looks foolish.

"Teammates say he looks more determined than ever, and Becton himself says his goal is to make naysayers “swallow their words.”"

https://sportzshala.com/absolutely-grinding-new-york-jets-big-man-mekhi-becton-delivers-early-statement-in-camp/

His goal is as stated: He's working hard to shut up those being honest about what they see and "calling him out" about his work ethic. Not to get better, not because he owes it to himself as a career athlete, but because as he said external motivation came into play. Sounds like some of us did him a favor whereas if he listened to the optimists he may have shown up at 400lbs (not that I'm thrilled with him crash dieting to make weight at the last second either). 

12 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Except for the part where Bechton played GREAT his rookie year.  

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Stephen "Mimsy" Hill?  A blast from the past.

Lets hope Mims's breakout is this year, to avoid that repeat of history.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah he proved all of this wrong. 
He’s in shape.  Start there.  All the hes fat, lazy etc talk was all wrong.  Don’t give us the crash diet nonsense.  You don’t have a clue what he weighed.  Y

Just like you have idea how much he lost.  All we know is that he showed up in shape.  He wasn’t eating doughnuts and spending all his time playing video games like the narrative around here by many was.  
And of course you continue to make jokes about being a food tester, whatever that means, questioning his drive etc.  

"Just like you have idea how much he lost. " You're right, I do have an idea actually, at least 40 lbs.

It was reported that he was up to 400 lbs during his rehab. It was reported that he lost a bunch of weight between the previous mini camp and camp. It was also reported he had to pull himself at the beginning of camp and take a knee a few times because he was easily winded. Becton's own words are that he started working hard to prove his critics wrong potentially implying he wasn't previously. Prior to you asking for sources there's one below, and a simple search will turn up others.

https://www.espn.com.au/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/89287/can-new-york-jets-mekhi-becton-disprove-critics-as-he-approaches-pivotal-year

""We were able to get his weight back down into the 300s, for sure," Becton's nutritionist, Ann Claiborne, said last week."

"Claiborne said she's not at liberty to reveal Becton's current weight, saying only, "It is under 400.""

"Under Claiborne, who works with professional athletes as the founder and CEO of Customized Concierge Nutrition, Becton hired a personal chef and was prescribed a diet that emphasizes lean meats, vegetables and complex carbs. Because of his knee injury, it’s an anti-inflammatory and alkaline diet with triple the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables he was previously consuming, Claiborne said. He avoids processed foods.

At the start, Claiborne cleaned out Becton's pantry and restocked it with healthy options. When it's time to eat, he just reaches into the fridge and pulls out a precooked meal from his chef."

So the main difference in his nutrition is that his nutritionist threw away all the food he had been eating and now he's eating lean meat, and plant based foods. Sounds like he was eating sh*t previously which sounds like what many of us had been saying. It doesn't take a nutritionist to know lean meats and plants are better than chips and ice cream. It also doesn't take a chef to prepare them unless you lack motivation to do so.

Saying that someone is back down to the 300s means they were in the 400s. As I've stated in other threads about his weight as a huge person he has to take extra care and not put on excess weight because he won't be able to rehab as others and that his body size makes it harder in general for his body to heal up. I used Kris Jenkins as an example previously as a huge dominate guy who could never stay healthy very long. So it hasn't been all fat jokes as you say. You've simply chosen to focus on them because you can't refute much that has been said otherwise.  

I said his job is a professional athlete not food tester. I meant his job is to be in shape as an athlete. A food tester is literally that; they sample food on assembly lines. I was making a point that clearly went over your head as you chose to focus on what you saw as a hurtful joke, ahhhh.

You seem very emotional. Sorry, but the last time I checked this was a message board about the Jets, and I'll critique whomever I want in any way I want based on their profession. Supporting someone doesn't mean having to suck them off.   

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

You probably thought Mo Wilkerson was a good player too….  He had ONE good year.   

So far, the only one in which he's actually played, in light of last year's injury.  Every moment he was on the field he was a good or better T, so the comparison with S Hill doesn't work.  You know that!  

20 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

This just makes too much sense. Hope we get a decent pick.

This will depends on a myriad of factors, mainly, IMO, how well Denzel is actually performing throughout the season. While some may think that Denzel playing well may increase his trade value and improve the odds that he gets dealt, I think its the opposite. Odds are, if the Jets were going to trade Mims, they would have done it by now. 

If the light goes on and he starts developing chemistry with Zach and has a 'breakout year'- or what you could consider a breakout year for him, and the Jets have, for all intensive purposes a good season (maybe they miss the playoffs but end up with a winning record)- I highly doubt JD will trade Mims because he will be the incumbent #2 outside WR to take over Davis' spot.

While C. Davis is not a FA after this season, however he has an out in his contract where his dead cap drops substantially. The Jets could save a ton (10mil?- don't quote me on that) if they release him. It may make a lot more sense to do that and sign a high priced FA to help the team in another area rather than trade Mims and net a 4th, lets say even 3rd round pick if the guy is playing well. 

Lets say Mims plays poorly. Well, his trade value plummets. Maybe JD will end up flipping him for a 6th but odds are he just holds on to him until the end of the season when he can re-evaluate the roster. 

Lets say Mims plays ok. Not great. Not bad. We see some flashes but he is inconsistent. Well, this is the most plausible scenario for a trade-deadline trade. However, odds are the Jets will need the depth at the WR position that even an 'ok' Mims brings- and the 5th or so draft pick that he may net won't equate to the value he could bring as a critical depth piece. 

The only really likely scenario where Denzel gets moved during the season is if guys like Davis and Wilson really break out while Mims just does well enough to maintain some level of trade value. AND the WR core needs to stay healthy where losing Mims won't really hurt the rotation. AND most likely, the team is not in a playoff push scenario where every depth piece is critical. Then moving him, even for a 5th or 6th rounder make sense.   

As always JMHO.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

"Just like you have idea how much he lost. " You're right, I do have an idea actually, at least 40 lbs.

It was reported that he was up to 400 lbs during his rehab. It was reported that he lost a bunch of weight between the previous mini camp and camp. It was also reported he had to pull himself at the beginning of camp and take a knee a few times because he was easily winded. Becton's own words are that he started working hard to prove his critics wrong potentially implying he wasn't previously. Prior to you asking for sources there's one below, and a simple search will turn up others.

https://www.espn.com.au/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/89287/can-new-york-jets-mekhi-becton-disprove-critics-as-he-approaches-pivotal-year

""We were able to get his weight back down into the 300s, for sure," Becton's nutritionist, Ann Claiborne, said last week."

"Claiborne said she's not at liberty to reveal Becton's current weight, saying only, "It is under 400.""

"Under Claiborne, who works with professional athletes as the founder and CEO of Customized Concierge Nutrition, Becton hired a personal chef and was prescribed a diet that emphasizes lean meats, vegetables and complex carbs. Because of his knee injury, it’s an anti-inflammatory and alkaline diet with triple the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables he was previously consuming, Claiborne said. He avoids processed foods.

At the start, Claiborne cleaned out Becton's pantry and restocked it with healthy options. When it's time to eat, he just reaches into the fridge and pulls out a precooked meal from his chef."

So the main difference in his nutrition is that his nutritionist threw away all the food he had been eating and now he's eating lean meat, and plant based foods. Sounds like he was eating sh*t previously which sounds like what many of us had been saying. It doesn't take a nutritionist to know lean meats and plants are better than chips and ice cream. It also doesn't take a chef to prepare them unless you lack motivation to do so.

Saying that someone is back down to the 300s means they were in the 400s. As I've stated in other threads about his weight as a huge person he has to take extra care and not put on excess weight because he won't be able to rehab as others and that his body size makes it harder in general for his body to heal up. I used Kris Jenkins as an example previously as a huge dominate guy who could never stay healthy very long. So it hasn't been all fat jokes as you say. You've simply chosen to focus on them because you can't refute much that has been said otherwise.  

I said his job is a professional athlete not food tester. I meant his job is to be in shape as an athlete. A food tester is literally that; they sample food on assembly lines. I was making a point that clearly went over your head as you chose to focus on what you saw as a hurtful joke, ahhhh.

You seem very emotional. Sorry, but the last time I checked this was a message board about the Jets, and I'll critique whomever I want in any way I want based on their profession. Supporting someone doesn't mean having to suck them off.   

I don’t care what he did to get in shape or how out of shape he got when he was injured.  He got his big body in shape, accepted a new position and is practicing.  How fricken long do we have to hear the nonsense about 400 lbs. All of a 30 lb weight gain.  

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

It was reported...

It was reported... 

It was also reported....

Well, here is one part of the problem, lol.  

I don't care what he weighted in the offseason.

I care what he weighs at the start of Week 1's game.

Too much TMZ-esque drama going on over Becton's off-season, off-field status.  

Worry about what happens ON the field IMO.  Not off it.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

You probably thought Mo Wilkerson was a good player too….  He had ONE good year.   

This is revisionist history because the guy got paid a ton of money after his 5th year (All Pro/ ProBowl) and two seasons later fell off a cliff. 

Mo Wilk was a good to very good player the first 5 years of his career for the Jets. Even in his 6th year when he struggled to live up to his massive contract he was a good player- he didn't 'suck'. In his 7th year he fell off a cliff and it was clear he no longer wanted to be here and/or was no longer the player he once was. That was when he moved on to GB. 

-Of those 6 productive years- 2013 and 2015 were All-Pro seasons (Pro-Bowler in 2015).

-Wilk was never a sack guy but throughout his 7 year career on the Jets he recorded double-digit tackles for a loss in 5 of his 7 seasons, including two monster years (mentioned above) where he recorded 12 and 10.5 sacks respectively. 

-He accumulated 11 forced fumbles his first 6 seasons on the Jets. 

-He accumulated 25 pass deflections in his first 6 seasons with the Jets. 

He was a perfect 3-4 DE who may not have piled up a ton of sacks but was solid as a rock against the run, lived in the backfield and impacted games on a regular basis. He gave the Jets at least 5 years of great production.

I can understand why he left a bitter taste in Jets fans mouth because his play diminished shortly after he signed a big contract. But when you consider the fact that Wilk was in the NFL for only 8 seasons. Majority of that was really good play for the Jets. At least 5 seasons but probably more like 6. Saying he wasn't a 'good player' and had 'one good year' is complete nonsense. It would be more accurate to say that he had 'one bad year'- at least for the Jets.