Becton delivers early statement in camp…

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Probably the most NFL-ready OL (non-centers) were all already taken by the time we took GW.

So, do you think JD should have taken an OT in the first round?

BTW, Nicholas Petit-Frere, who the Titans took with the #69 pick they got from the Jets, has impressed in camp and has a real shot to start at RT for the Titans.  They recently started giving him reps with the first team.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

I never said that JD should have drafted an OT in the first round. I actually slightly agreed with the "you shouldn't draft an OL in the first round three years in a row" crowd.  Sort of. :-)

I did want one of the 2nd round rated guys, and three of them actually fell into the early third round.  I would've loved one of those guys, but JD traded the Jets early 3rd (#69) to move up for Jermaine Johnson.  I guess I wish he'd somehow held onto that pick in the trade, and still been there at 69 to take one of those three guys (they ended up going between 69 and 77).

Hopefully JJ pans out.  And hey, Max Mitchell might turn out to be real good.  I'm hoping.

This is precisely where I was too. Didn't want s T at 4 or 10, but definitely in the 2nd or 3rd rd

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Why not? He's a professional athlete. His body is his job. Everything he said and everything we've heard indicates he wasn't serious about getting in shape until a month before training camp. He even said at minicamp all he needed to do was eat right and drink water to lose the weight before the season. Do you believe a crash diet is the best way to prepare for an NFL season and rehab a serious knee injury? What if he lost weight 6 months ago and took a lot of force/pressure off the knee. Don't you think the result may have been different as far as his rehab?

So yes, I can attribute this to laziness or just sheer ignorance. I like the kid, he's a great personality. I wish him well. But seriously, compare his offseason rehab to a guy like Carl Lawson who is relentless. He doesn't have to be Carl, but don't you believe he could have done a bit more?

I was under the assumption this injury is unrelated to his one from last year. Am I incorrect?  I do not know, but if that is the case it should mean his rehab had little to do with this.  Are there any studies out there that show being ~40 lbs over your routine weight increases the chance of fracturing your kneecap by an obvious margin?  Again, I do not know.  If he was pulling hammies and quads every other practice then I would understand completely.

That being the case, if their bodies are their jobs and Carl Lawson is the model of professionalism in that regard, then why did he miss all of last season?  I’m not defending Becton, he should have handled his rehab better, I just know there are and have been lazier players in the nfl who haven’t suffered near the same injuries as Becton.  I prefer to file him under “injury prone” rather than “fat and lazy”.

5 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I was under the assumption this injury is unrelated to his one from last year. Am I incorrect?  I do not know, but if that is the case it should mean his rehab had little to do with this.  Are there any studies out there that show being ~40 lbs over your routine weight increases the chance of fracturing your kneecap by an obvious margin?  Again, I do not know.  If he was pulling hammies and quads every other practice then I would understand completely.

That being the case, if their bodies are their jobs and Carl Lawson is the model of professionalism in that regard, then why did he miss all of last season?  I’m not defending Becton, he should have handled his rehab better, I just know there are and have been lazier players in the nfl who haven’t suffered near the same injuries as Becton.  I prefer to file him under “injury prone” rather than “fat and lazy”.

Per Connor Hughes:

"Sources told SNY that while Becton’s 2022 knee injury is unrelated to his 2021 injury, the belief is that the 2021 injury led to the 2022 injury. Combining that, with Becton’s history of struggles to stay in shape, makes this situation unfortunate." 

Bottom line, he injured same knee so it's really hard to say it's not all connected. Im not gonna google studies for you but talk to anyone who's lost a significant amount of weight and ask them how their joints feel as a result. The point with Carl Lawson, and any athlete, is yes, you can certainly be unlucky and get injured. It can happen to anyone. But when it does happen, do you control what you can control? Do you put yourself in the best position to succeed? If Becton committed to his rehab 6 months ago, got down to 330 to give his knee some reprieve and the best chance to heal, worked on his aerobic conditioning, then came to camp and got hurt again, then yes, I would agree with you it's just terrible luck and I'd feel much worse for Becton. However, he didn't do that. He indicated a month ago at minicamp his plan was to go on a crash diet. That's like me saying "I'll start training for a marathon a week before the race". Do you understand how grueling an NFL season is? You can't just cram for the test.

He never gave himself the best chance to succeed so, while I feel for the kid and like his personality, I can't feel terribly sorry here. Bad luck happens, but you have to do what you can to create your own good luck as well. I wish him well, hope he returns with a new mindset and body, but it's hard to change people's habits and minds. You don't have to agree, but hopefully my point is more clear.

• Upvote 1