An Attempt at a Balanced View entering Pre-Season Games

6 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

QB Wilson

The good:  His accuracy shined last night and if not for killer drops, his stat sheet would have looked a lot better.  Didn't read about any short passes in the dirt, and that's actually a big thing!  Loved that he continues to use his legs 

The bad:  Still makes bonehead plays and the tape does show he sometimes stares down receivers.  The int at the end was 10 out of 10 bad  

Where we are at:  @kdels62@JiFapono and others are right that we cannot turn him into a game manager.  His strength is on the attack..  Also, Flacco/White would likely be better game managers and you don't draft game managers at #2.  But it is way too early to conclude that is what is happening, just something to monitor as we go through pre-season     

The good football players are starting to become clear.  [Relative Athletic Scores (RAS) aside]

A summary of guys you can count on to make plays to win games.  Still way way to early to conclude on rookies and 2nd year players

Potential Stars:  Sauce, Breece Hall, Elijah Moore.  There just seems to be something different about these 3 and their early performance in practice is extremely encouraging

Good Football Players who deserve a callout

1. Tyler Conklin is getting open and catching everything.  Looking like a major free agent pickup at a great price

2. Connor McGovern.  A reliable top 10 center who is getting better.  Still confused why some wanted to replace him in Free Agency

3. Laken Tomlinson / AVT.  Haven't really heard their names.  That's a good thing

4. Braxton Berrios.  All Pro Returner and extremely reliable slot with great hands & some playmaking ability

5. George Fant makes this list on last year's performance alone.  Good to see him getting healthy

6. Carl Lawson is what we paid him to be, DISRUPTIVE.  Positive signs that his explosiveness is still there

7. JFM, Quinnen Williams, and CJ Mosely are GOOD players-- contracts & draft status aside for the time being

8. DJ Reed & Jordan Whitehead are young proven players who have quietly helped solidify the secondary

9. Loving what I'm seeing from Garrett Wilson.  Starting to come on...  Reminds me of older school WRs like Reggie Wayne & Marvin Harrison, who were strong but not elite athletes who just knew how to get open and were natural playmakers.  We might be forgetting about Corey Davis sooner than later

10.  Almost forgot Michael Carter RB.  Should be a dynamic compliment to Breece Hall.  He proved his worth last year

11. Special Recognition to Michael Carter CB, Bryce Huff, & Javelin Guidry.  Unheralded players who do their jobs well.  Need players like this on the team

Very good post and logical assessment.

is that allowed here anymore?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Very good post and logical assessment.

is that allowed here anymore?

I know.  Social Media is typically the black & white 2 sentence takes.

The microanalysis aside on every Wilson throw, it was nice to see his accuracy displayed last night.  The throw to the other Wilson was a thing of beauty.  I really do worry most about his short term accuracy, believe the processing part will come as he gets more and more comfortable.  Still a horrible INT but something I’m sure he’ll learn from.

How about you?  What’s your level of optimism looking like?

• Upvote 3

The opposite of the original list are the question marks that still need to be answered outside Zach Wilson.

1. Did the light turn on for Becton?  Can he stay healthy?  Will we sign Brown as a ready now swing tackle, even if we need to pay a bit of a premium?

2. Can Corey Davis turn back into the type of quality football player he was in 2020 (86 PFF grade)?  Or is he now the drive killer we have seen since last year (drops, fumbles, interceptions when targeted)?

3. Is Rankins really as bad as the analytic nerds told us he was last year?  I don’t believe the BS that the run defense was actually pretty good last year.

4. Can Quincy Williams transition from excellent athlete to instinctive football player who thinks and plays fast?  

5. Will Joyner end JD’s miss rate on stop gap vets (aside from LDT last year)? 

6. Is Mims a fit for this offense?

7. Do we now have quality depth?  Guys like Bryce Hall, Echols, Martin, Pinnock, etc?

8. Reliable FG kicker?

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I know.  Social Media is typically the black & white 2 sentence takes.

The microanalysis aside on every Wilson throw, it was nice to see his accuracy displayed last night.  The throw to the other Wilson was a thing of beauty.  I really do worry most about his short term accuracy, believe the processing part will come as he gets more and more comfortable.  Still a horrible INT but something I’m sure he’ll learn from.

How about you?  What’s your level of optimism looking like?

Optimism level is medium to slightly above. I am with you in believing Zach will be fine but needs to clean up some issues. Understandable when you are a 2nd year qb.

I thought this teams win total would be in the 6-8 range but expect the level of play week in and out to be above.

lots of young players so they may play a great game but just fail to finish.

running out of years on this earth quickly so let’s go.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Love that you included berrios.  He will turn into one of the best slot receivers in the league by end of year.

He’s not even an every down starter at WR on this team.

”Best slot in the NFL” would be asking a lot from a #4 spot-use WR who will likely be 5th, 6th or 7th on the team in terms of receptions by year end, behind Davis, Wilson and Moore,  one or both RB’s and one of our TE’s.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I have to be honest. I have concerns with Wilson.

Feeling tho generally optimistic about the whole team and the ability to recover if Zach busts out 

Except for a few on JN, I believe we all have concerns about Wilson developing into a FQB. I do like what I’m see from him lately though. Since the pads have come on his performance has been at the least decent every practice. Last night, outside of two bad passes, his performance would have been outstanding if those bad drops didn’t happen. 

He still has a lot of work to do; however, he seems night from day from last year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

”Best slot in the NFL” would be asking a lot from a #4 spot-use WR who will likely be 5th, 6th or 7th on the team in terms of receptions by year end, behind Davis, Wilson and Moore,  one or both RB’s and one of our TE’s.

I don’t see best slot in the NFL potential, but it seems like he has gotten a lot of slot reps in camp. He’s trending towards playing too much to be 5th, 6th, or 7th in receptions, IMO. 

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he plays more snaps than Wilson, for example. 

Good post - Except Zach is not staring down receivers and the tape clearly shows that he doesn't.

And Zach Wilson is never going to be a "game manager" - Game manager is code for weak armed and unathletic.  Zach isn't those things..

But it's okay if he continues to progress as a QB and plays smart conservative football as he grows.  There is nothing wrong with that and it is exactly what he should be doing.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he plays more snaps than Wilson, for example. 

A sixth round journeyman WR playing over the 10th pick in the Draft would surprise me.  And disappoint me greatly.

I like Berrios just fine as a KR (first), trick-guy (second) and part-time WR (third).  He's a nice piece to have.

But to see him playing over Wilson?  Wow.  No thanks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Did you really negrep me @Skeptable for saying Berrios WON'T be the best slot WR in the NFL this year?  Seriously, lol. ?

Sorry man, you gotta tell me what part of this post was so off target id was negrep worthy.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A sixth round journeyman WR playing over the 10th pick in the Draft would surprise me.  And disappoint me greatly.

I like Berrios just fine as a KR (first), trick-guy (second) and part-time WR (third).  He's a nice piece to have.

But to see him playing over Wilson?  Wow.  No thanks.

You’ll recall from the draft that I love Garrett Wilson and think he can be a legit future #1. Wilson is the future of this passing offense and Wilson to Wilson definitely has a chance to be a real thing in the streetz.

Having said that, don’t be surprised if Berrios has an impactful role in this offense, my friend! And don’t have the draft position bias - Berrios is a legit NFL slot prospect. My sense is also that he’s very much in the Jets plans this year.

The only reason I brought up Wilson is that I am expecting him to be used more on the outside than in the slot (he has future #1 potential because of his crazy hops and balance and that’s how I see the Jets predominantly using him, even tho he also has jack of all trade potential as well ), and therefore, I think he will have to compete more for reps with Davis and Moore this year. 

I see Moore and Berrios as the primary slot guys, and because they also like to play Moore outside, I think you will see Berrios featured a lot in the slot. I expect Moore to lead the team in receptions if healthy, but would not be shocked at all if Berrios was top 4. 

11 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

QB Wilson

The good:  His accuracy shined last night and if not for killer drops, his stat sheet would have looked a lot better.  Didn't read about any short passes in the dirt, and that's actually a big thing!  Loved that he continues to use his legs 

The bad:  Still makes bonehead plays and the tape does show he sometimes stares down receivers.  The int at the end was 10 out of 10 bad  

Where we are at:  @kdels62@JiFapono and others are right that we cannot turn him into a game manager.  His strength is on the attack..  Also, Flacco/White would likely be better game managers and you don't draft game managers at #2.  But it is way too early to conclude that is what is happening, just something to monitor as we go through pre-season     

The good football players are starting to become clear.  [Relative Athletic Scores (RAS) aside]

A summary of guys you can count on to make plays to win games.  Still way way to early to conclude on rookies and 2nd year players

Potential Stars:  Sauce, Breece Hall, Elijah Moore.  There just seems to be something different about these 3 and their early performance in practice is extremely encouraging

Good Football Players who deserve a callout

1. Tyler Conklin is getting open and catching everything.  Looking like a major free agent pickup at a great price

2. Connor McGovern.  A reliable top 10 center who is getting better.  Still confused why some wanted to replace him in Free Agency

3. Laken Tomlinson / AVT.  Haven't really heard their names.  That's a good thing

4. Braxton Berrios.  All Pro Returner and extremely reliable slot with great hands & some playmaking ability

5. George Fant makes this list on last year's performance alone.  Good to see him getting healthy

6. Carl Lawson is what we paid him to be, DISRUPTIVE.  Positive signs that his explosiveness is still there

7. JFM, Quinnen Williams, and CJ Mosely are GOOD players-- contracts & draft status aside for the time being

8. DJ Reed & Jordan Whitehead are young proven players who have quietly helped solidify the secondary

9. Loving what I'm seeing from Garrett Wilson.  Starting to come on...  Reminds me of older school WRs like Reggie Wayne & Marvin Harrison, who were strong but not elite athletes who just knew how to get open and were natural playmakers.  We might be forgetting about Corey Davis sooner than later

10.  Almost forgot Michael Carter RB.  Should be a dynamic compliment to Breece Hall.  He proved his worth last year

11. Special Recognition to Michael Carter CB, Bryce Huff, & Javelin Guidry.  Unheralded players who do their jobs well.  Need players like this on the team

Liked the whole post man.  Nice effort and take.  Even liked your negative post although your #4 about Quincy would have been #1 for me as the LB room was either last or close to it in performance last year. 

I said it before. I think this year is a better version of last year.  Tough schedule in the start which hurts worse than tough to end. Lots of turn over that has to gel.  Too many question marks. 

I still think next year will be our wow year. 

• Upvote 1