Merged Becton Injury Thread

Just now, freestater said:

I'm saying the o-line expert sucks at drafting tackles. The evidence would bear that out. Unless you're deluded. 

Yet you discount AVT? not a tackle but still OL... or all the other draft picks last year?

What do you think you won here... What argument do you think is reality to you.... That he sucks at drafting 1 position he is a 'guru' in so therefore he sucks at all his other duties... Got it... Idiotic argument

• Thumb Down 1

Several options that I can think of:

1. Sign Duane Brown and move GF to RT since DB only plays LT.

2. Move AVT to RT and insert Nate Herbig to RG. AVT played some RT at USC and Herbig has a starting experience at RG (Eagles).

3. Trade for decent RT with our surplus of DEs, Edge or Mims.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Skeptable said:

Yet you discount AVT? not a tackle but still OL... or all the other draft picks last year?

What do you think you won here... What argument do you think is reality to you.... That he sucks at drafting 1 position he is a 'guru' in so therefore he sucks at all his other duties... Got it... Idiotic argument

Not nearly as idiotic as continuing to carry water for the Becton pick, but you go ahead and keep tilting at windmills. 

Delusional. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BloodGreen said:

Not loving it either, but what’s the alternative? Chuma? I’d rather not see them go that route. We all know how that ends. Brown is at the very least capable at his age and so far reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Well, that's what you're going to get. Even if he does sign Brown, he's probably got a suspension to serve before he sees the field. 

JD has a tackle problem. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

DELUSIONAL 

• Thumb Down 2

Man this sucks,

I haven't seen someone this talented, who posted such a good first season fall from grace this fast.  Basically the last time I saw him play in a real game, he was dominating the competition in a way that looked like he might legitimately have a HOF career (and I almost never say that about Jets players b/c I'm biased against fooling myself).  A wonky preseason last year which could have been a simple weight thing, the freak injury and only 7 practices into a return and it already looks like his career is in serious jeopardy.

At this point, one wonders if there hasn't been a major medical mistake.  If he was already in some discomfort a few days prior, the trainers should have pulled him instantly.  Knee injuries sometimes simply take longer than expected.  For guys that big, small corrections to posture/gait/stability can have dramatic effects on their performance, and sometime they simply have to take it slow in the recovery process (much to the disappointment of fans).

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, derp said:

It’s funny how it’s very minor semantics with word choice can make a huge difference. Not “there isn’t any structural damage” but “the on field physical tests didn’t reveal any structural damage”. Needs to be better at mostly saying nothing.

I can’t imagine the way Becton handled last year’s injury gave the staff any reason to believe he’s not babying his body, but definitely a bad look.

I mean, the standard answer is “we’ll wait to see what the medical staff says, but we’re obviously hoping for the best.” I do wonder if Saleh has a special enmity toward Becton that leads him to downplay his injuries.

1 hour ago, derp said:

Wonder how they create cap space for Brown.

I just tried carving out $10 mil on Spotrac and I think the only way to do it is to extend CJ Mosley and spread out his money. 

5 minutes ago, freestater said:

Not nearly as idiotic as continuing to carry water for the Becton pick, but you go ahead and keep tilting at windmills. 

Delusional. 

Got it... You win... JD is the worst GM ... He definitely made the Jets worse and he should be fired for his delusional picks in his first draft.

Back to another year with 4 wins... Hope that the Jets can someday be as smart as you.

Maybe you should apply for the position

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If this ends up being a significant knee injury it wouldn't surprise me if it were the end of his career. Sad.

Agree, primarily because he has no real fight/will. He’s always just relied on out-sizing opposition to get this far. 

It’s a shame. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Got it... You win... JD is the worst GM ... He definitely made the Jets worse and he should be fired for his delusional picks in his first draft.

Back to another year with 4 wins... Hope that the Jets can someday be as smart as you.

Keep propping up that straw-man argument because you have no reasonable position on the matter at hand. I'll forgive it, you know...on account of how ******* DELUSIONAL you are about this. I've been screaming since the draft that JD has a tackle problem. DELUSIONAL sycophants have told me that I was wrong the whole time. 

And now here we are. All the idiots telling me I was overblowing it, now tell me "don't worry, we'll just sign Brown". Well screw every one of your delusional asses.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

It's not that as it is the people who have their jaws dropped by a 6 wins in 2 years GM. Some nice trades, maybe a few picks. t!ts need to be calmed here. He's... Radiohead, at best. A few hits but let's not go overboard. That's my issue with JD's street team; the absurd hyperbole. 

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Hopefully 

That was also before he completely cleaned out the scouting department and installed his own guys.

I have high hopes for the 2021/2022 classes, but 2020 will go down as just as sh*tty as anything Macc or Idzik put together.

2020 was also the year of Covid and limited player contact.

• Upvote 1

Just now, freestater said:

Keep propping up that straw-man argument because you have no reasonable position on the matter at hand. I'll forgive it, you know...on account of how ******* DELUSIONAL you are about this. I've been screaming since the draft that JD has a tackle problem. DELUSIONAL sycophants have told me that I was wrong the whole time. 

And now here we are. All the idiots telling me I was overblowing it, now tell me "don't worry, we'll just sign Brown". Well screw every one of your delusional asses.

That delusional problem seems to be a sticky one, eh @Skeptable?

• Thumb Down 1

34 minutes ago, freestater said:

He thought he was smarter than everybody else and picked this scrub instead of Wirfs. He deserves the criticism. Anybody still trying to massage that pick into "the right decision at the time" needs to give it up. Wirfs was the pick, and the o-line expert set us back by at least one high pick and two ******* years with his little experiment. 

JD's top OL moves.
- Becton over Wirfs.
- Traded a 1st and two 3rd round picks to move up to pick #14OA for an IOL. Shows a lack of positional value.
- Taking CB at #4 and passing on Ickey. LT has greater positional value and was a much greater need.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jet9 said:

It's not that as it is the people who have their jaws dropped by a 6 win in 2 years GM. Some nice trades, maybe a few picks. t!ts need to be calmed here. He's... Radiohead, at best. A few hits but let's not go overboard. That's my issue with JD's street team; the absurd hyperbole. 

Jets have had terrible GMs for 2 decades and when they finally get a competent one that has improved the talent and team drastically its always lets fire him because of the couple mistakes he has made.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, Coffee Is Great said:

The Jets found the football version of Kristaps Porzingis. Too big and too fragile. I've been positive and patient with Becton but I would not be surprised if he never plays another down for us. 

I mentioned in the scrimmage thread that Becton looked like he couldn't even move during warm-ups and stretching. He was either not healthy or not in shape or simply lazy. I don't know, but it stood out to me. 

If he was laboring that badly in warmups an injury was inevitable. Impossible to compete if you’re that out of shape. 

• Upvote 2

MODs can merge this if they want?

I view this as possibly another colossal miss by the Jets medical staff.  Becton shows up a few days ago or whenever it was wearing a big knee brace.  Obviously, they were concerned about something?  Today, he is videotaped hobbling around all over the practice field.  Did anybody even examine him before he went back out to engage in contact again?

The Jets have a long history of subpar medical care and accusations.  Osemele.  Enunwa.  Wilkerson. Falk.  Seemingly the most injured team for a handful of years in a row.  

JD publicly made it a point to upgrade the doctors and trainer, but he might have to try again…

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, the standard answer is “we’ll wait to see what the medical staff says, but we’re obviously hoping for the best.” I do wonder if Saleh has a special enmity toward Becton that leads him to downplay his injuries.

I just tried carving out $10 mil on Spotrac and I think the only way to do it is to extend CJ Mosley and spread out his money. 

I think he’d already talked to the medical staff. There’s easy stuff they can do to test for tears to ACL, MCL, PCL, LCL, and Achilles - but obviously it’s not perfect. I imagine the medical staff did all that and told Saleh it didn’t reveal any tears, thus his comment.  That’s why I posted he should’ve said something like “Initial tests didn’t reveal structural damage” and not “there was no structural damage”.

I’m not good enough with cap but can’t they convert base to bonus and then prorate it? Maybe too late in the year. There aren’t many guys they can do that with who they probably won’t cut next year but they can take the dead hit a little later. Mosley, Lawson, Davis. They could cut Rankins too.

• Upvote 1