Merged Becton Injury Thread

30 minutes ago, Pac said:

If it was going to happen its better that it did now and not next month.

Not sure i understand the Becton hate..  he may have been a bad pick but he was never an ass hole or did anything illegal..  he is just injury prone.

Tough break hope he gets past this even if his tenure with the Jets is over.

I think a lot of it is misplaced anger 

the Becton injuries are just another example of something that happens to this franchise over and over again for whatever reason 

• Upvote 4

Just now, ZachEY said:

I mean, it all makes a lot of sense when you consider how much Saleh obviously hates Becton.

I didn’t want to say it earlier because it’s whistling past the graveyard, but I thought Saleh was being cheeky earlier when he said that they weren’t panicking at all when Becton went down. This clears the deck for him almost entirely. If they can get Mims traded, he’s got his dream team of overachievers, plus Mosley

39 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I'm afraid that he's going to play better, but not take a huge leap this year where it is obvious that he is the guy.

We're going to end the year with Saleh saying that he sees growth in practice and in meeting isn't quite coming out on the field yet. This board is going to melt down because Saleh has said multiple times that you've got to give a player three years. Meaning, we're heading into 2023 with ZW still being an unknown.

I think Zach will be the guy into the future, but I just see him coming out of the year "in between."

Well, that's inspiring.

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think a lot of it is misplaced anger 

the Becton injuries are just another example of something that happens to this franchise over and over again for whatever reason 

I don’t think this is one of those cases. The Jets didn’t do their homework in the predraft on him. How they ended up on him over Wirfs or Lamb…well Douglas should share his notes.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

It's not that as it is the people who have their jaws dropped by a 6 wins in 2 years GM. Some nice trades, maybe a few picks. t!ts need to be calmed here. He's... Radiohead, at best. A few hits but let's not go overboard. That's my issue with JD's street team; the absurd hyperbole. 

JD whiffed in 2020 certainly no denying that.  He’s also assembled one of the most talented under 25 groups in the league.   It’s going to be a process but this team has a better foundation than they’ve had in years.  Becton was never going to play this year, the hard part was the hope.   Now we know where the hole on the line is that needs filling.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, derp said:

I think he’d already talked to the medical staff. There’s easy stuff they can do to test for tears to ACL, MCL, PCL, LCL, and Achilles - but obviously it’s not perfect. I imagine the medical staff did all that and told Saleh it didn’t reveal any tears, thus his comment.  That’s why I posted he should’ve said something like “Initial tests didn’t reveal structural damage” and not “there was no structural damage”.

I’m not good enough with cap but can’t they convert base to bonus and then prorate it? Maybe too late in the year. There aren’t many guys they can do that with who they probably won’t cut next year but they can take the dead hit a little later. Mosley, Lawson, Davis. They could cut Rankins too.

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, Skeptable said:

Jets have had terrible GMs for 2 decades and when they finally get a competent one that has improved the talent and team drastically its always lets fire him because of the couple mistakes he has made.

Let's be real, we ALWAYS think the current GM is improving the team until about year 3 when it becomes obvious. Immediately after Idzik's 12 pick draft we were ALL analyzing this guy or that guy and projecting how good they would be, etc... Nothing but hope. Turned out that guy sucked at being an NFL GM. McCagnan we were so impressed by his coffee intake. What's a worker he must be! I'm sorry, I don't see the big deal with JD. Results matter.

I realize he's not coaching the games but I'm also not real impressed with that guy either. But that's another thread. Facts matter. 6 wins in 2 years is garbage. It CAN turn around, the Bengals are an example. But until things actually DO happen I don't think the non-believers should take as much sh*t as they do. We have evidence on our side. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Jets have had terrible GMs for 2 decades and when they finally get a competent one that has improved the talent and team drastically its always lets fire him because of the couple mistakes he has made.

I don't think anyone is advocating for firing him at current. 

Not that I can see.

• WTF? 1

• It is highly unlikely an OT frees up soon.  They seldom do.  The ones that were available were the ones whose cost was prohibitive to their teams.  Reiff and Duane Brown.  Reiff found the Bears to overpay.  Watch the Jets overpay for Brown.
  • At this point, the Jets need to move on from this guy.  His salary is guaranteed through 2023, but maybe we can try him as swing T next year.  When he leaves we get a comp pick.  If he somehow turns it around, we can Franchise Tag him.
  • After he prepared for the draft and actually showed up to his rookie year camp in decent shape, Becton has allowed himself to physically deteriorate.  He has bigger problems.  Look at his father from the draft day video.  If Becton ends up like that, and he is heading in that direction, he will not live very long.  Allowing Becton to get that way is partially on the Jets.  He should not have been on a crash diet for 2 months.  
  • This is now more about Becton's life and health.  Starting tomorrow, he needs to become a healthy, lean person.  Then he can get into football shape and try and play.  If he can't show up less than 340 pounds, he should not play football.  This is a huge negative event for the Jets program.  
  • Upvote 2

I was definitely rooting for the dude to comeback & kick ass this year. But there's so many question marks with him at this point. If this injury is severe. It's obviously game over with the Jets & potentially his career. The Jets have no other choice but to sign Brown even if the asking price is high. 

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

JD gambled on Becton this season and looks to have lost big.

Still a month before Week 1, and things could still work out, but I am not optimistic about our OT situation.

There wasn't much choice here as people think... Ekwonu is struggling bigtime in camp and would be worse then McDermott there for the year. He is most likely not going to start at LT to Brady Christensen

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

I don’t think this is one of those cases. The Jets didn’t do their homework in the predraft on him. How they ended up on him over Wirfs or Lamb…well Douglas should share his notes.

That could certainly be the case - a lot of people preferred Wirfs on here. I wanted Wirfs, Becton, or Lamb and didn’t have a major preference between the 3.

the counter argument is that Becton was always a boom or bust pick just like Zach Wilson was and that’s just what Douglas is gonna do 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, freestater said:

Doesn't excuse you carrying water for huge mistakes. You look ridiculous. 

I don't follow college but if Becton was not injury prone in college [don't know as I stated I don't follow college] I don't know how you can blame a GM for not having a ceystal ball and seeing injuries in the future.  not picking sides, just adding my 2 cents.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

4 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

If it's a pattelar tendon tear that is just so unlucky. My friend had that happen at a softball game after running into someone, his knee cap was up in the thigh area. 

Say what you want about Becton, but there is no denying that if this injury is true, he has some terrible luck. Both injuries are freak accidents. 

• Upvote 1