Merged Becton Injury Thread

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

There wasn't much choice here as people think... Ekwonu is struggling bigtime in camp and would be worse then McDermott there for the year. He is most likely not going to start at LT to Brady Christensen

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is they could've just promised Morgan Moses that he'd be the starter, or, at the very least, brought in another vet OT before, you know, today.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jetfan39 said:

I don't follow college but if Becton was not injury prone in college [don't know as I stated I don't follow college] I don't know how you can blame a GM for not having a ceystal ball and seeing injuries in the future.  not picking sides, just adding my 2 cents.

I can blame him when we're talking about a project-at-best versus a guy who broke bench press records at an o-line factory like Iowa and played multiple sports including wrestling. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Nothing the Jets could have done to prevent this one. This is why they were so concerned about his conditioning all off-season.

Theres like 50 things the Jets could have done to prevent this. 

Mainly... leave him on the PUP until he got his weight and overall physique completely under control.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I didn’t want to say it earlier because it’s whistling past the graveyard, but I thought Saleh was being cheeky earlier when he said that they weren’t panicking at all when Becton went down. This clears the deck for him almost entirely. If they can get Mims traded, he’s got his dream team of overachievers, plus Mosley

I don't know... This take sounds a lot like "Gase ruined Darnold" and "Rex ruined Sanchez" and whatnot.

Through Becton's tweets and the press conferences, do you really believe that Saleh is to blame here for not being able to motivate him?  What does Belichick do differently, besides not draft him in the 1st place?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Are you kidding... @freestater is all about that.

I haven't see that.  Link?

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

I think you are underestimating the number of people that want JD and Saleh out.

If you say so.  

I'm pretty well known here, and pretty known as a pessimist and cynic.  I don't want either fired right now.

The Becton situation, and our lack of O-line depth is certainly concerning, as is Zach Wilson just in general, but I'm happy to give the Saleh/JD duo this season to see what they produce.

If, tho, we're again a ~4 win team with the same O-line issues and/or the same weak QB play, that would make us ~17-49 or similar under JD. 

Worse if you exclude the Gase season (which JD defenders regular did in most debates).

Hard to see JD surviving and complete lost season, but who knows.  Only time will tell.

14 minutes ago, derp said:

I think he’d already talked to the medical staff. There’s easy stuff they can do to test for tears to ACL, MCL, PCL, LCL, and Achilles - but obviously it’s not perfect. I imagine the medical staff did all that and told Saleh it didn’t reveal any tears, thus his comment.  That’s why I posted he should’ve said something like “Initial tests didn’t reveal structural damage” and not “there was no structural damage”.

I’m not good enough with cap but can’t they convert base to bonus and then prorate it? Maybe too late in the year. There aren’t many guys they can do that with who they probably won’t cut next year but they can take the dead hit a little later. Mosley, Lawson, Davis. They could cut Rankins too.

I’m awful with the cap, but I think cutting Rankins, Mike White, etc doesn’t get them all that close. I think they either have to rework a big contract or agree to sign Brown for multiple years. @Sperm Edwards would have a better idea, and off the top of his head, to boot

Well, better to know now so they can move on for this upcoming season and let the FO focus on resolving the RT vacancy at the present moment. 

it’s not the end of the world. Don’t underestimate Max Mitchell and his athleticism in this blocking scheme. Recall the unearthed diamonds of OLs’ from years past such as Jason Fabini, Ryan Young, Brandon Moore, and Mark Cavka (LOL, I kid in that last one)?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, JTJet said:

This is the worst thing to happen to Becton but the best thing to happen to the team. 

Forces the Jets to accept the mistake and move on immediately before the season starts while there are still some options. 

That's right! We are actually lucky that it happened before the start of the season.  We are going to overpay with little reaction time...it is what it is.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I haven't see that.  Link?

If you say so.  

I'm pretty well known here, and pretty known as a pessimist and cynic.  I don't want either fired right now.

The Becton situation, and our lack of O-line depth is certainly concerning, as is Zach Wilson just in general, but I'm happy to give the Saleh/JD duo this season to see what they produce.

If, tho, we're again a ~4 win team with the same O-line issues and/or the same weak QB play, that would make us ~17-49 or similar under JD. 

Worse if you exclude the Gase season (which JD defenders regular did in most debates).

Hard to see JD surviving and complete lost season, but who knows.  Only time will tell.

The season is not lost from losing Becton... that is just ridiculous

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Well, better to know now so they can move on for this upcoming season and let the FO focus on resolving the RT vacancy at the present moment. 

it’s not the end of the world. Don’t underestimate Max Mitchell and his athleticism in this blocking scheme. Recall the unearthed diamonds of OLs’ from years past such as Jason Fabini, Ryan Young, Brandon Moore, and Mark Cavka (LOL, I kid in that last one)?

+1 JD and Saleh rolled into last season with Bryce Hall at CB1. Can’t sleep on them moving forward with Max Mitchell 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Was that ever going to happen? He had all off-season and didn’t bother coming to the facility once until money was on the line.

Probably not, but the medical staff should have been able to see this, and I'm now starting to suspect that maybe the administration leaned on the medical staff to clear him. 

Zero evidence to prove that, but if you think about it, makes a lot of sense. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I don't know... This take sounds a lot like "Gase ruined Darnold" and "Rex ruined Sanchez" and whatnot.

Through Becton's tweets and the press conferences, do you really believe that Saleh is to blame here for not being able to motivate him?  What does Belichick do differently, besides not draft him in the 1st place?

I don’t think Becton is Saleh’s fault, per se, but I think Saleh handled the Becton situation poorly. In the scenario where Becton was as big a mush as we all think he was behind the scenes, Saleh and Douglas let it fester to the point where Becton clearly gave no sh*ts about anything they had to say. Belichick trades him for a fifth rounder after two practices with him.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, freestater said:

I can blame him when we're talking about a project-at-best versus a guy who broke bench press records at an o-line factory like Iowa and played multiple sports including wrestling. 

Bench press records mean squat - see Vernon Gholston. 

4 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I agree with everything except that Beli doesn’t draft major busts like this - he does but he just had Brady for 20 years to ride those waves 

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I agree with everything except that Beli doesn’t draft major busts like this - he does but he just had Brady for 20 years to ride those waves 

The Pats don’t draft that well on an individual pick basis, but they do an awesome job accumulating picks and obviously the coaching staff does a good job.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think Becton is Saleh’s fault, per se, but I think Saleh handled the Becton situation poorly. In the scenario where Becton was as big a mush as we all think he was behind the scenes, Saleh and Douglas let it fester to the point where Becton clearly gave no sh*ts about anything they had to say. Belichick trades him for a fifth rounder after two practices with him.

Fair enough.  Kill it with fire was probably the right idea.

• Upvote 1