Merged Becton Injury Thread

Just now, T0mShane said:

I’m saying that Saleh has to realize he’s no longer the peppy, camera-friendly assistant coach of an incredibly talented defense in San Francisco, and he’s now the head coach of a crappy organization that has been a meat-grinder for the careers of once-promising head coaching candidates

Watching Todd Bowles win his division and run deep into the playoffs is gonna be fire. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s my belief that Saleh is a rah-rah, touchy-feely guy in the Herm Edwards mould and doesn’t really know how to lower the hammer on anyone. I think Ulbrich and LaFleur are like that, too. Touchy feely works on a lot of players, but he’s always going to have a segment of his roster who won’t respond to it. Becton was one of those personalities.

I think we’ve gone back and forth on this before - the absolute best coaches know how to push buttons differently for different guys. Don’t know what Saleh is and isn’t good at but he’s always struck me as someone who’s different behind closed doors than he is with the media. I think he plays up the touchy feely stuff because it’s great for giving non answers to the feeding frenzy at those press conferences. It’s certainly what I’d do. Gaffe today for sure, though.

I don’t really know what button exists for Becton. He certainly doesn’t strike me as the type who’d respond to tough love at all. Look at how maturely he responded to criticism from the fan base. If anything I think it’s the opposite.

In reality, if he never plays after his rookie deal he’ll have made like $18M. Seems like he loves to eat and play video games. We’ll see if he catches on elsewhere, assuming he doesn’t stick with the Jets, but I’d be surprised if we see that rookie year promise again even if he ends up elsewhere.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Head athletic trainer been with the org since 2006. I’d say it’s a legitimate gripe that the Jets are among the worst at handling injuries and it’s even forced an organizational shift in what they target in free agency and the 2-hand touch nature of their practices. Time to clean house there in my opinion. 

Not sure this one is on the training staff.  375lb man with little work ethic and a bum leg is a recipe for disaster.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Any other team loses their 4th best olineman, it hurts but you move on.

Jets lose their 4th best olineman and "Fire Everyone" becomes the narrative.

Jet fans...............................

Sight unseen, I can virtually guarantee that you weren't referring to Becton as "4th best" lineman as little as 5 hours ago. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, derp said:

I think we’ve gone back and forth on this before - the absolute best coaches know how to push buttons differently for different guys. Don’t know what Saleh is and isn’t good at but he’s always struck me as someone who’s different behind closed doors than he is with the media. I think he plays up the touchy feely stuff because it’s great for giving non answers to the feeding frenzy at those press conferences. It’s certainly what I’d do. Gaffe today for sure, though.

I don’t really know what button exists for Becton. He certainly doesn’t strike me as the type who’d respond to tough love at all. Look at how maturely he responded to criticism from the fan base. If anything I think it’s the opposite.

In reality, if he never plays after his rookie deal he’ll have made like $18M. Seems like he loves to eat and play video games. We’ll see if he catches on elsewhere, assuming he doesn’t stick with the Jets, but I’d be surprised if we see that rookie year promise again even if he ends up elsewhere.

I get that Becton may be an Isiah Wilson-type wastrel, but my early impression of Saleh and his team is that he wants to run it like a spunky college team and he isn’t comfortable (yet) with the hard parts of the job, which has been the downfall for a lot of promising assistants who fail once they reach the big chair. He may well be Rasputin behind the scenes, but we haven’t seen that manifest on the field. 

22 minutes ago, doitny said:

with Diggs and the guy in Miami whos name escapes me atm we need a shut down corner more than LT.

The team needed a LT, second most important position after QB, more than a CB. Gardner is looking good but a luxury at #4OA, Reed, Hall and Echols would still be an upgrade over last year.

Another subject - I wonder if we're going to see one on one coverage with those no-name slow WR's and Sause?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Not sure this one is on the training staff.  375lb man with little work ethic and a bum leg is a recipe for disaster.

The medical staff screwed up with the 4-6 week recovery timeframe on the initial injury.  Then they told us the soreness Becton was experiencing recently was no big deal. And today when it was reported that he was limping during drills, nothing was done until his knee buckled when JFM hit him.  

Not saying this is all on the medical staff, but they certainly haven't done the job here either. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

17 minutes ago, freestater said:

Watching Todd Bowles win his division and run deep into the playoffs is gonna be fire. 

If that happens, Todd Bowles will have almost nothing to do with it. Recall his entire career here, or last year's NFC title game when every couch potato across the fruited plain KNEW Rams were going to get the ball to Cooper Kupp. Todd Bowles, not so much. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I get that Becton may be an Isiah Wilson-type wastrel, but my early impression of Saleh and his team is that he wants to run it like a spunky college team and he isn’t comfortable (yet) with the hard parts of the job, which has been the downfall for a lot of promising assistants who fail once they reach the big chair. He may well be Rasputin behind the scenes, but we haven’t seen that manifest on the field. 

Results are results, there's no disputing that.  This team hasn't won and has only occasionally looked promising under Saleh during his first year.  With that said, this has been a young and severely under-talented team.  I think there has been accountability but if the "hard part of the job" is cracking the whip on a rookie QB, rookie OG, rookie RB, and rookie starters on that defense then I don't think that would have been a good approach last year.  The team looked better towards the end of the season than the beginning, and the players were still playing hard until the last whistle.  That says something about the coach IMO.

By most reports Becton had been looking pretty good, participating in all drills and snaps, and had his weight under control when he came into camp.  Today looks to be an incredibly unfortunate, even if not entirely unexpected, incident.  Let's wait to see what the MRI shows but if the knee is injured again I'm not sure that Becton's conditioning or effort were to blame today, nor was how hard or easy Saleh and the coaches were being on him.  I could certainly be wrong.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Results are results, there's no disputing that.  This team hasn't won and has only occasionally looked promising under Saleh during his first year.  With that said, this has been a young and severely under-talented team.  I think there has been accountability but if the "hard part of the job" is cracking the whip on a rookie QB, rookie OG, rookie RB, and rookie starters on that defense then I don't think that would have been a good approach last year.  The team looked better towards the end of the season than the beginning, and the players were still playing hard until the last whistle.  That says something about the coach IMO.

By most reports Becton had been looking pretty good, participating in all drills and snaps, and had his weight under control when he came into camp.  Today looks to be an incredibly unfortunate, even if not entirely unexpected, incident.  Let's wait to see what the MRI shows but if the knee is injured again I'm not sure that Becton's conditioning or effort were to blame today, nor was how hard or easy Saleh and the coaches were being on him.  I could certainly be wrong.  

MRI is already out... its a fractured kneecap...

9 minutes ago, Ghost said:

He’s done.

Feels like a good chance that's possible.  At best, even if he does get back on the field, the Jets will be forced to constantly have a 3rd starting-caliber OT on this roster at all times, similar to Morgan Moses last year.  It will just feel like when he's on the field at all times you're just a couple plays away from losing him for 8 games.  That's a hard thing to stomach for a team and plan around, and it hurts the consistency of the unit.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I get the Pete Carroll kind of comparison, but my assumption has always been that a lot of the college-y feel is that he’s coaching a team with a ton of young guys and no real expectations besides developing them. Always thought that was one of the areas he and Douglas were aligned. No yard and a half and a cloud of dust with Frank Gore.

It’s very possible this is who he is and I’m naive for thinking it’s more circumstantial, but I think a lot of his attitude these last couple years has come from running a roster with young players all over the place.

We’ll see how he shakes out. I think some personnel decisions and running a scheme the whole league runs won’t be especially helpful. Will probably always have a degree of appreciation for him because I can relate to the way he talked about changing careers to some degree.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

By most reports Becton had been looking pretty good, participating in all drills and snaps, and had his weight under control when he came into camp.

Not to dismiss the rest of your post, but I think this part perfectly captures what we’re currently in disagreement about. When you say “most reports,” you’re referring to quotes directly from the coaching staff, all about a player who was pretty clearly not looking good, was not in shape, and had to go on a crash diet to get that weight “under control.” 

29 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

MRI is already out... its a fractured kneecap...

Question is when did Becton hurt his knee? Before the brace, before Saleh said something about 'discomfort', when he was limping around in practice or when he was pancaked ? 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not to dismiss the rest of your post, but I think this part perfectly captures what we’re currently in disagreement about. When you say “most reports,” you’re referring to quotes directly from the coaching staff, all about a player who was pretty clearly not looking good, was not in shape, and had to go on a crash diet to get that weight “under control.” 

Best highlight of camp was Becton pancaking an assistant water boy.

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I can see this. 

5 minutes ago, derp said:

I get the Pete Carroll kind of comparison, but my assumption has always been that a lot of the college-y feel is that he’s coaching a team with a ton of young guys and no real expectations besides developing them. Always thought that was one of the areas he and Douglas were aligned. No yard and a half and a cloud of dust with Frank Gore.

It’s very possible this is who he is and I’m naive for thinking it’s more circumstantial, but I think a lot of his attitude these last couple years has come from running a roster with young players all over the place.

We’ll see how he shakes out. I think some personnel decisions and running a scheme the whole league runs won’t be especially helpful. Will probably always have a degree of appreciation for him because I can relate to the way he talked about changing careers to some degree.

A Pete Carroll-Jets comparison is apt, I think, as even he has admitted to being too concerned about being beloved at that stage of his career. It wasn’t until he took over the USC program that he learned to navigate the more unpleasant parts of being a CEO. I’m hopeful for Saleh long-term. I think he has some talent as a coach and has been clever at times with what was a bad team, but my hope is that he learns from his Becton and Mims experience that not all players respond to the same methods of motivation. At some point, if he’s going to win consistently, he’s going to have a segment of players on his team whose asses he’s going to have to kick if he’s going to get the best out of them. 

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

I can see this. 

I was thinking of you when I was writing this, actually, because you talk about organizational dynamics every now and again. What are your thoughts about leading a group where maybe there are some employees that aren’t self-starters? 

5 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Question is when did Becton hurt his knee? Before the brace, before Saleh said something about 'discomfort', when he was limping around in practice or when he was panached? 

2 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

What?  That can’t be good that the weight of pushing on a DL fractured his knee cap?!? How does that even happen?!? 

15 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Ugh.  Didn't know that.

• Upvote 1