Merged Becton Injury Thread

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m saying that Saleh has to realize he’s no longer the peppy, camera-friendly assistant coach of an incredibly talented defense in San Francisco, and he’s now the head coach of a crappy organization that has been a meat-grinder for the careers of once-promising head coaching candidates

100% Saleh has DONE NOTHING to instill confidence that he’s not in over his head. It was PAINFULLY obvious during his PCs after losses that he was just beaten down and had no answers.

As a fan, I want him to succeed as Jets HC, but nothing last year has indicated he’s the man to get the job done. Hope I’m wrong. Lol.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 3

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not to dismiss the rest of your post, but I think this part perfectly captures what we’re currently in disagreement about. When you say “most reports,” you’re referring to quotes directly from the coaching staff, all about a player who was pretty clearly not looking good, was not in shape, and had to go on a crash diet to get that weight “under control.” 

That's fair and maybe I wasn't aware of how bad his conditioning was, but what I heard prior to camp was worrisome.  Once he arrived it sounded much better.  He was playing every drill and every snap.  There were reports of him puking one day during one of the hottest practices, but he didn't miss time so we can interpret that however we want.  I was under the impression that camp was going okay for him despite the concerns around the mini-camp timeframe.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I guess I’m just not a believer that discipline works in any meaningful way at this stage of life.

I think by now, if you’re a dog (not to be confused with dawg), you’re a dog, and going in timeout isn’t going to much to change that.

Could have cut him, I guess, but I’m not sure how that benefitted the team.

E, can you expand on this a little bit? I’m interested in the thought that discipline, particularly in a team setting, might not ultimately be effective. As you know, my archetypal head coach was Bill Parcells, and his m.o. was all about discipline, cutting the head off the snake, etc, so my point of reference might be clearly outdated. Obviously, the Shanahans and McVays of the world are doing it differently, but I’m presuming that they do some sort of coercion to keep 53 players all in line. 

4 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

So first time it was a dislocation and now a fracture of the same kneecap?

What is this, some kind of strange voodoo by Dan Campbell?

First reports were of a kneecap and patella injury, but later tests showed it was a pinky toe contusion.  A second opinion cleared things up and confirmed that it's just a chipped tooth from eating a candy bar.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

E, can you expand on this a little bit? I’m interested in the thought that discipline, particularly in a team setting, might not ultimately be effective. As you know, my archetypal head coach was Bill Parcells, and his m.o. was all about discipline, cutting the head off the snake, etc, so my point of reference might be clearly outdated. Obviously, the Shanahans and McVays of the world are doing it differently, but I’m presuming that they do some sort of coercion to keep 53 players all in line. 

Parcells putting an empty gas can in front of Brian Cox's locker before a game with a note that said, "I hear Cox doesn't have anything left in the tank," was one of the great motivational Parcells stories that I still tell people on occasion.  He was a master.  Whether he had become a football coach or if he ended up managing a McDonald's the guy was going to get his team to perform.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That's fair and maybe I wasn't aware of how bad his conditioning was, but what I heard prior to camp was worrisome.  Once he arrived it sounded much better.  He was playing every drill and every snap.  There were reports of him puking one day during one of the hottest practices, but he didn't miss time so we can interpret that however we want.  I was under the impression that camp was going okay for him despite the concerns around the mini-camp timeframe.

Might be some confirmation bias on my part, but the reports I was reading seemingly every day said that he was getting cooked for sacks at a pretty high frequency. The most complimentary thing I read about him was that he was “improving” with each practice, but then the knee brace appeared. 

Didn't the knee brace just appear in the past week?  If so, why?

Is there a chance it made things worse and caused the injury?

He was apparently fiddling with it, adjusting it and limping a bit in practice before the injury?  If that's true then the Jets medical staff has a lot to discuss about how he was being handled leading up to this.

• Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was thinking of you when I was writing this, actually, because you talk about organizational dynamics every now and again. What are your thoughts about leading a group where maybe there are some employees that aren’t self-starters? 

Ideally, they aren’t any on my team. I weed them out in the hiring process.

When I inherit them, I pretty much tailor their professional development plan to this building up the weakness. Getting them reps at seeking and owning small chunks of work in between the majority of the work being delegated to them.

I want people bringing ideas to me and giving me a reason to pave the way for them. Not asking me what to do next.

The biggest red flag is when they become exasperated and feel they deserve advancement-type recognition for doing anything above just handling the assignments I give them. That’s 100% someone that can turn toxic quickly.

Not sure if it parallels to this, but more to the specific point about Saleh. Until now he’s been a ‘lead’, someone with authority and a role in strategy, but still in the trenches with the team. Like Rex and many before him, he needs to become a manager/director capable of not being ‘one of the guys’.

In short, at some point you climb high enough where you don’t go to the after party from the company outing. You can be likable and decent as a boss, but you have to acknowledge the line.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Might be some confirmation bias on my part, but the reports I was reading seemingly every day said that he was getting cooked for sacks at a pretty high frequency. The most complimentary thing I read about him was that he was “improving” with each practice, but then the knee brace appeared. 

This year and last.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

So first time it was a dislocation and now a fracture of the same kneecap?

What is this, some kind of strange voodoo by Dan Campbell?

Just unbelievable.  Leave it to the Jets to draft a guy who gets injuries that warrant updating medical texts.  What a fukkin' team.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Accountability is far more important than discipline. Discipline is just a very rudimentary way of establishing it. You can have accountability without being a hard-o.

• Sympathy 2

8 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Obviously, a fractured kneecap means he didn't condition well enough. Horrible news

It does? 

This seems like an outcome of him being enormous but does it matter if he's at 360 instead of 390lbs? - it'd be an enormous amount of weight and force on it no matter what as he's just a huge dude. I am now worried for him that the knee might just be done. He had so long for it to heal and strengthen...

So lame!

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Didn't the knee brace just appear in the past week?  If so, why?

Is there a chance it made things worse and caused the injury?

He was apparently fiddling with it, adjusting it and limping a bit in practice before the injury?  If that's true then the Jets medical staff has a lot to discuss about how he was being handled leading up to this.

Duke had responded saying on Twitter that it was a precautionary measure that Mehki would wear moving forward. 

Connor said Becton appeared to get his toe caught and then took the push in the chest (which on the video looks awful, but I couldn't tell about the toe from it). 

Seems like confluence of bad luck with toe getting caught, huge weight he carries and his knee that probably carries a higher risk of injury given surgery (as manifested by the precautionary brace)... But if that's the case, the guy is an injury time bomb?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hex said:

I know Becton's been really disappointing, but honestly I feel really bad for him. The dude's been working really hard to rehab and it all just went down the drain.

Give me a break.  He's a multi-millionaire and most likely hasn't played enough to be in danger of developing CTE.  Worse case scenario, a knee can be replaced.  He'll be fine.