Merged Becton Injury Thread

12 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

The big issue is that Duane brown doesn't fix the issue.  He is more of a depth piece incase people get hurt.  He is not good enough to start the whole year anymore but could get you through a pinch.  I could see a bigger trade happening here for Dillard as well as signing brown. But that will cost him some draft capital. 

It will be interesting to see how he solves this issue but don't expect brown to be the only signing.  There will be something else as they were already planning on brown signing with becton healthy

Another option to trade may be juwan James from the Ravens and mcgary from the falcons... Both are on their way out of town in the last year of their deals and have been replaced on the team.  But all of these would require a decent draft package...  Dillard at least a 3rd rounder and not sure about the others. 

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I think the point is it sounds very similar to last years injury? I don’t know, I do just know it’s likely Becton will never amount to the decade long starter we drafted  him to be, Shame. 

The Jets felt last years injury was weight related too if I recall. 

• WTF? 1

45 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

You're pissed at the medical staff because they didn't instantly diagnose it? God forbid it take more than 6 hours and a MRI to understand what's really wrong.

They said he was limping before the injury. And he was having discomfort at the green and. White game. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yep, just read he os going to miss significant time again. Becton has Andrew Luck disease.  

"The year" announcement should be coming soon.  I hope they ask Saleh what he meant by “It’s stable … it doesn’t seem like a big deal"  yesterday. This guy is looking more and more like another dope.  Starting to really bother me.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

"The year" announcement should be coming soon.  I hope they ask Saleh what he meant by “It’s stable … it doesn’t seem like a big deal"  yesterday. This guy is looking more and more like another dope.  Starting to really bother me.

On top of this…

WHY DIDNT I WAKE UP TO BROWN IS A NYJ?

JD stop the BS this is not the time for your haggling NONSENSE!

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The only people who have commented  on Bectons weight are the media and people on this forum. I can't  think of a thing the Jets ever said as an organization  that related to his weight, even when everyone knew he got out of shape last season. 

8 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Not him.  He was told it was stable and not a big deal, they only took the MRI as a precaution and then saw the damage.  It’s not on a HC, he’s not a Dr

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Huh? How could you watch that injury happen and say it's weight related. 

The only weight related to that injury is how much our sh*tty lineman weighed as he fell into Bectons knee. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

It was likely the initial diagnosis. The MRI was thought to be precautionary. I don't  really blame Saleh  for repeating  what the trainer probably  told him. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

A Pete Carroll-Jets comparison is apt, I think, as even he has admitted to being too concerned about being beloved at that stage of his career. It wasn’t until he took over the USC program that he learned to navigate the more unpleasant parts of being a CEO. I’m hopeful for Saleh long-term. I think he has some talent as a coach and has been clever at times with what was a bad team, but my hope is that he learns from his Becton and Mims experience that not all players respond to the same methods of motivation. At some point, if he’s going to win consistently, he’s going to have a segment of players on his team whose asses he’s going to have to kick if he’s going to get the best out of them. 

I guess I just don’t get the idea that he’s coddled Becton and Mims. Openly talked about how both were disappointing and how he’s seen it from second year guys. Becton, like I said, I don’t think would respond to an ass kicking - they’ve tried to push him though. If anything, too much making him limp through practice yesterday right?

Mims worked out like a madman, asked to work on specials, and has clearly improved from last year. We’ll see how good he is and/or if there’s something schematic that’s a problem. He might be annoyed he’s not starting but I’m not sure about the idea he hasn’t responded well to the new staff in terms of working ethic. Seems like if anything he thinks they’re too hard on him. I get the vibe Becton feels the same. I don’t know if different or further ass kicking accomplishes anything productive (which was said in a far more sophisticated way a couple posts above me).

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Not him.  He was told it was stable and not a big deal, they only took the MRI as a precaution and then saw the damage.  It’s not on a HC, he’s not a Dr

This 

you would think after last year he would learn to watch his words in NY, like someone posted earlier he’s starting to really look like a dope

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm sorry, if you have an injury and staff clears you to do something  and then you get another injury to the same part of your body that was previously injured,  the guy that told you it was fine has some responsibility in the whole thing. I mean it was the same knee cap that was just surgically  repaired

I’m with you on this.

Someone posted a video of Becton laboring earlier in practice yesterday. I don’t know what the medical staff was thinking, and this guy probably should have still been on the PUP list.

I’m not a doctor, but it was clear he did belong on a football field. Allowing him to line up after that was the football equivalent of a referee looking into the eyes of a clearly hurt boxer and allowing the fight to continue.

1 minute ago, oatmeal said:

This 

you would think after last year he would learn to watch his words in NY, like someone posted earlier he’s starting to really look like a dope

What’s a HC supposed to do though?  Bectons health is a huge story, everyone saw him go down and ask what he was told.  I guess he should lie and not tell the press, the fans, what’s going on.  
It’s a case of killing the messenger 

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly.  Because Saleh isn't a doctor, he should never have made that statement.  Just say that we'll know more after the MRI.  I'm not going to kill Saleh for this.  It just bothers me a bit.  He's starting to sound like another "company man"/huckster.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

So, this largely falls in the behaviorism family - operant conditioning and whatnot - rewards and punishments.  The literature on punishment is pretty clear - it's largely ineffective, and only works in specific conditions when applied properly.  Behavioral rewards are a much more effective method of modification - this is shown over and over again.

Add an NFL player as a variable, and the waters get muddier and muddier.  They have a contract and they are paid ridiculous sums of money.  That's a reward.  That reward is coming regardless, in terms of guaranteed money but also in any other pay prior to a player being cut.  So, some extra laps, being embarrassed in front of others, getting benched, etc. isn't holding a candle to the reward that is inherent in just being there.  From a group perspective - society is a group of sorts, no?  I'm sure you're well aware of how ineffective prison is as both a deterrent to behavior as well as a modifier of behavior.  If denying someone's freedom is ineffective, why would extra laps for a millionaire be effective?

Getting out of behaviorism and into psychoanaltyics - the most successful portion of punishment is probably in satiating the anger/desire for retribution in the person doing the punishing for the perceived affront.  In other words, sadism.  We punish not because it works, but because it makes us feel good to do so.

On Parcells, we've seen periods of his career when he was successful, and periods when he was less so.  I'd hypothesize that his coaching skill and his rosters contributed to this at a far higher level than his discipline.  I'd suspect that his discipline was just a function of his personality and contributed very little.  I also suspect, speaking of out-dated, that if it was effective at all, perhaps when Parcells did it, that the rewards (money) was quite a bit less, and didn't so easily override attempts at punishment.

I think you have to be very thoughtful in this era of who you add to your team.  And, probably just cut/trade guys who are malcontents.  There was no fixing Jamal Adams.  Getting rid of him and not paying him was the win of the trade.  The picks were a bonus.  And with all that, it didn't change Adams at all - because in the NFL, there's always someone else dumb enough to give you the huge reward.

Post is too long.

Take a lap.

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not sure if it was in training camp but didn't the Bengals lose their starting OT last year?  The parallels between these teams are startling!

Aside from 4 win seasons, I don’t see it at all.

Are you seriously comparing Wilson’s rookie year to the one Burrow had?

I’m not even going to get into the different level of competition and preparedness between the two coming into the league.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1